“EXCELENT SERVICE!!! MARCELINO!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Omaha, Nebraska
“EXCELENT SERVICE!!! MARCELINO!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

WE HAD THE BEST SERVER! his name was Marcelino. he was absolutely amazing. This hotel was very nice. loved the view. the food was great. drinks were great. garden was well maintained. and all the staff were very nice and helpful. i feel like we got our moneys worth. would like to have an option to not do all inclusive everyday(as a couple of days we went on cruses and didnt feel it was beneficiary to do all inclusive on those days) Loved the "tiny" lizzards. the only thing i didnt like was the people selling things on the beach. would have been better if they didnt ask you if you wanted to buy something while we were relaxing pool side, but over all a great experience and we will be back. First time to mexico was a great trip! We celebrated our 10 year anniversary and the staff made us a special cake for us one night. the rooms were nice. we needed an accessible room, but didnt book one. the manager was very nice and tried to switch us. wasn't able to, but did accommodate us well. Great stay!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lkred16
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for selecting Velas Vallarta for your 10th wedding anniversary. Here is truly a romantic venue with all the lush gardens and mountain backdrops combined with the Pacific Ocean and it's incredible sunsets. Marcelino, who is well known also amongst the staff will be made aware of your gracious comments. You can look forward to seeing him again and all the 520 Velas employees on your next trip with us. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at the Velas Vallarta to celebrate our anniversary. Most of the hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. We did not have an issue with the time share people. We made it clear we were not interested and nobody bothered us again. Actually, one of the time share sellers, Luis Miguel, was always very helpful and gave us great tips on what to do and where to eat around town. The grounds around all the pool areas are truly beautiful, the best I’ve seen so far, and the one bedroom suites are very comfortable with a spacious balcony which offers a nice view of the beach and the pool. However, we were not aware that most of the rooms in this hotel are dedicated to time shares and a large number of the people that stay here are from nearby cities and come with their friends and/or family and usually bring their coolers by the pool with their own food and drinks. There are 3 pool areas, the main one by the beach, the kids’ pool, and the "quiet" pool (supposedly for adults). We decided to lay out by the “quiet” pool, assuming that we would be away from all the noise, but unfortunately that was not the case. In fact, every single kid staying at the hotel was using the “quiet” pool (and they weren’t quiet). On top of that, for a couple of days, they had some private school "end of the year" event and a group of 40 kids (6 and 7 years old) showed up all at once, turning the “quiet” pool area into a complete chaos. What is really ironic is that the “kids” pool was completely empty. We found out the hard way that the hotel management does not enforce any rules on who uses which pool. I understand that is their prerogative, but then they shouldn’t label any of the pools “quiet”, it creates false expectations. Something else I think is worth mentioning is the fact that there are only two restaurants in the hotel, one of which is the restaurant by the pool, very casual, which serves pretty much the same food every night, and the other one, Andrea’s, which is more elegant and supposedly serves different types of cuisine, except for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday when they serve “Italian”. I wouldn’t have an issue with only one nice restaurant for the whole resort, but who wants to eat Italian three nights in a row? I paid for an all inclusive and I shouldn’t feel like I have to go outside the resort to find some variety for dinner. I do want to thank some of the wonderful staff that helped made our stay more enjoyable despite some of these issues. By the pool it was Marcelino, Juventino and Luis and at Andrea’s restaurant it was Ernesto, Efren, Alejandro, Carlos and Brenda. They all went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcomed and gave us truly exceptional service.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank adrianausa
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in detailing your stay with us. The favorable aspects that you mentioned of our resort we consistently maintain as the cornerstone of our product. Described in other reviews our buildings, public areas and service are really top notch. The menus are in constant modification and I personally believe that there is always room for change especially when we cater to many repeat guests and your Italian night observation is being considered for an update. Here at Velas there is tecnically no adult pool. The "Quiet Pool" as it is verbally referred to is generally just that, tranquil because there are no music, speakers or activities there. The childrens group you mentioned was a primary school with parents for the weekend which can be found at any resort and at any time. Normally they are not a big market for us but they just happened to be here during a portion of your stay. I thank you for your detailed comments and I respect your views. I do believe also that to visit us again for your next anniversary you will find the same things not repeating themselves. I will pass on your nice words to the staff that you mentioned and we all congratulate you on your special day.
MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Staying at Velas Vallarta was the perfect location for my first trip to Puerto Vallarta. There is not too much more that I can add about the beauty and cleanliness of the resort that has not already been stated in other reviews. Having said that, every single employee I met at the resort was courteous, friendly, and helpful. The food and drinks were more than adequate, though I would have liked more variety in lunch offerings when I spent my days on the beach. I especially appreciated being able to get around Puerto Vallarta by bus. On my nightly excursions to the casinos (yes, I hit all three!), I was able to take the bus from right in front of the resort for about 6 pesos, and I paid 60 pesos for a return trip by taxi. I liked that Velas Vallarta is located within walking distance to the marina (10minutes or less) and is close to the airport. No bad comments at all about this resort and, hopefully, I will be able to enjoy another wonderful vacation there in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank maybaby21218
We are happy to have been your hosts for your first (and I do not believe your last) visit to Puerto Vallarta. As you have mentioned there are many things to do relatively close by. Public transit is very convenient and economical for those who wish to experience the Mexican feel of this tropical port. I think that Puerto Vallarta and Velas Vallarta have convinced you into returning in the future. Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
Oregon City, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Everything was perfect! The moment you walk into the lobby, you experience Mexico in its finest. The grounds were lush and beautiful, with roaming iguanas, egrets, and gorgeous peacocks. Each staff member was more than courteous. I felt pampered each moment I was there. Food was absolutely fantastic. Every room has an ocean view. Comparing Velas Vallartas with other resorts left me certain that I would stay again in Velas. It felt like Mexico from the minute you walked in. The mariachi band was excellent. They do offer other activities throughout the week. You can rest as much as you want or party as much as you want. Other resorts feel so stiff, formal and stuffy. They may be newer and posh, but they felt like a resort anywhere in the world. They did not have the feel and taste of Mexico that the Velas offered. I would not want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lostnitaly
Your description and feeling for the resort, together with your amazing photos leave very little room for a response. I believe you've said and done it all. Very nicely done. Thank you.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

From the moment you enter the enormous arched brick interior you know that this will be special.
My wife and I were there with our son and his wife and two small children. This is truly a family friendly resort with particular attention to small children. The grounds are well groomed with lush plants and peacocks wander the grounds.

We had a medical emergency that was bad, the staff responded quickly and we were at a good hospital with qualified doctors within minutes.

The food was very good with a large assortment of steaks and fish. We preferred the restaurant near the ocean it is informal. The service was exceptional.

Our room was clean, with good beds and limited English channels on the tv.. The sunsets are to die for.

Room Tip: Get a room above the sixth floor for better viewing the area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Michael M
Thank you for your fine comments concerning our resort. Here we know the importance of the little details and we strive to complete each one. The medical services that you mentioned are indeed up to par or even better than many medical institutions in North America. State of the art hospitals and qualified bilingual staff are as you said, minutes from the hotel. Heaven forbid that these services will ever be needed, but for good peace of mind it's comforting to know that they are here and close by. Again, thank for your praise and we wish to see you all back here next year.
Hempstead, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I just came back yesterday from Puerto Vallarta and stayed here and had a wonderful time.

The resort is very comfortable and we loved it, while it not one of the brand new resorts this resort is kept up very well. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and loved it. We had a beautiful view of the pool and beach area and it was gorgeous.

Resort Pros:
- The resort has a three very big pools, this is including a kiddie pool and play area. The two pools are connected by a peaceful waterway that gets you from one pool to another
- The beach area is spacious with cabanas that you can go under to be protected from the sun - The resort has two restaurants and the meals were absolutely incredible and they have yummy foods for you to eat all day. We did the all inclusive and it was well worth it
- My boyfriend and I had massages and it was very relaxing
- This resort is in the marina area so you can walk to the marina go eat, shop and some of the tours even leave from here.
- Our rooms were great and very comfortable. We didn't mind just staying in and watching tv (they had a lot of channels in english and we are from NY and they had a ton of NY news channels)
- Good theme nights and always an attempt to do something in the lobby to entertain the guest
- Great seeing the peacocks..they were beautiful and I even got used to the iguana's
- GREAT STAFF!!! THEY HELPED MAKE OUR EXPERIENCE SO GOOD. They waited on you hand an foot and was always so friendly. ERIC WAS OUR WAITER BY THE POOL AND HE WAS THE BEST..THANKS ERIC

Resort Cons (does not outweight the pros)
- While the peacocks were great they would also wake up early and make loud noises...I had to get used to this. The first two days the sound woke me up
- Wifi was expensive ($16 a day)
- No jacuzzi on premise
- If you don't like big iguana's then it can be a con..it was a family of 4 and sometimes would even join you in the pool. My first day I was outdone, but as you can see in my pro, I took a liking to them at the end as well

Last but not least we met some really wonderful people at the resort!!! This was really the highlight of our entire trip. We met people that we will absolutely keep in touch with and this just added to this being a great trip. We were truly sad to leave.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KLV_Travels
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed review of our resort and for having allowed us to host you for your vacation. Our pools as you mention are one of our visible highlights. Very ample swimming areas and always something for everyone no matter which age group you represent. We are very commited to the quality and cleanliness of our pools to the extent that we have a 24 hour pool maintainance team keeping watch over the strict processes that we have implemented. In winter we increase the temperature of the water with the use of solar panels in order to maintain a level of comfort for our guests. So when enjoying your time in our beautiful pools you can be rest assured that we are doing our job behind the scenes.
Calgary Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our 4th visit to Velas and they have all been great. We were there for a week the end of April with our friends from Denver. They are owners so we are so happy they include us on their trips. Everything is just as beautiful and the people all so wonderful. We had so much fun with the waiters in both restaurants and some remembered us from last year. Everyone was great but a few made our stay even better, just a few names Adrian, Teodora and Juan in Andreas and David who kept us laughing all week. Raul in La Ribera is not only a great waiter but a wonderful singer as well. Every meal we had was wonderful and they treated us like we were someone special. I don't like to say anything negative because we enjoy it so much but the entertainment is getting old after 4 years, we have seen it many times, could use a change.
The rooms are getting a bit old and worn but are kept very clean, we have always had great rooms but this time we got a studio, connected to our friends 1 bedroom. The studio has no balcony and you can't open the windows anymore so there was a strong mildew smell probably from the air conditioner. We would open all the doors and the balcony and it would go away but was there when we got back again after been closed u, and in the morning. They did check the AC and gave us some scented candles but it didn't help much. We should have requested a change but didn't. I'm sure these rooms don't get used much and that is why the strong smell, but it was a nice room. It would be great if they could put new windows in that you could open the top part and get fresh air, we used to leave our bedroom windows open but it must be a security issue now that they are locked shut. This is just a very minor glitch in an otherwise great place. A special thanks to Louis Miguel for all his advise and help.

Laurie, Mike, Brenda & Clark

Room Tip: some studios don't have balconies which are a must when you are so near the ocean so you can en...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaurieCalgaryAlberta
Thank you for your continued preference in choosing us as your vacation destination each year. It is correct when you describe our studio suites and not being able to open the windows. Of course it is nice to be able to have the windows open at your convenience, however we were finding that the same guests would at times climb through the window when forgetting their key, instead of going to the reception desk to obtain a new one. We had them sealed as a security measure and also one of image. It never looks good to see guests using the window instead of the door. We are also analyzing options on your other points in order that you will find nice surprises in your upcoming visits with us. Thank you for your observations and enjoy your summer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,490 reviews
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#7 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
#33 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,142 reviews

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!