“Vallarta Escape”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St. Robert, MO, USA
“Vallarta Escape”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is my forth time at Velas Vallarta, the staff is primo and I love this resort. Geraldine at the Business Center has become my friend as well as Juan at Andre's upscale restaurant. I always feel like a preferred guest here. Geraldine is prompt with her email responses to my questions and Juan has become my server of choice. I'm a firm believer in you "reap what you sow", treat the staff as individuals and with respect and you get unbelievble great service. I would recommend Velas Vallarta as a great couples or family resort!

Room Tip: Ask for a one bedroom so you can overlook the resort.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrsmith57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I just returned home from a beautiful vacation in Puerto Vallarta. I traveled there on a family vacation which lasted June 23 through June 30. Our group of nine spent seven nights at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, where we had an all inclusive package, and so much more!

Every aspect of our stay was amazing! The rooms were clean and well-stocked. Mattresses were firm and comfortable, providing a great night's sleep. The housekeeping staff were friendly and very efficient. Anything additional we needed was just a phone call away. We had beautiful views all around us-- from our balcony we could see the swimming pools, the beautiful landscape design of the hotel grounds, the clean beach lined with white gazebos, and boats passing in the blue ocean. From our room entrance, we had a view of more beach, mountains in the distance, and city lights at night. All parts of the hotel were clean and welcoming, especially the bathrooms in the lobby and near the pool (which can be challenging to keep up with, due to frequent use).

We enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffet at the beachfront restaurant, La Ribera, and the theme gourmet dinners at Andrea Restaurant. The staff at Andrea and La Ribera Restaurants provided excellent service-- every waiter who helped us had a great personality and treated us like family. David kept us very entertained with a lot of laughs at dinner. Both restaurants, as well as the 24 hour room service, offer a fantastic variety of delicious food choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You will never go hungry (or thirsty) at Velas Vallarta! We were very impressed with room service; when they brought our food to the room, they spent several minutes setting our table, having friendly conversation with us the entire time.

During the day, we enjoyed water volleyball and ping pong, drinks at the Aqua Bar, and walking on the beach. Seeing the beautifully colored peacocks gracefully roaming the grounds, the orange and silver koi fish swimming in the pond, and the iguanas that kept us company at the pool was a real treat. While we relaxed at the poolside, Jacinto provided excellent service all day long, bringing us lunch, snacks, and drinks. While having dinner at La Ribera one evening, we enjoyed a beautiful sunset. In the hotel lobby lounge, Eric took excellent care of us, bringing us drinks while we enjoyed the mariachi band, karaoke and dancing, the casino, and other nightly activities. The most relaxing and rejuvenating experience of the week was full body aroma therapy massage at the hotel spa.

The entire staff at Velas Vallarta was friendly, helpful, and efficient. I'd like to thank them for going above and beyond to make us feel right at home. This was a five star vacation experience. In the future, I would love to return to Velas Vallarta. I will recommend it to family, friends, and anyone looking to take an amazing vacation!

5 Thank Jennifer H
Belleville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I just got back from a beautiful vacation with my fiancee and her family on what I would call a vacation of all vacations. When we first arrived the first thing you see is this gorgeous, open air lobby that just blows you away. Once we were checked in the Bellman showed us the way to our room being sure to point out where all the amenities and the restaurants within the complex. The rooms comfortable and homely making our stay more relaxing. During the day you could sit by the pool and enjoy the sun while the friendly pool wait staff took care of you like Jacinto did with us. He did such a great job making sure we always had a drink or food if we wanted it. I asked him if it was possible to get a ice bucket to help keep our bottle water cold and not only did he get me one but he made sure to put more ice in it as it melted. While sitting poolside you will have some company whether its the iguanas or the peacocks that roam the grounds. Both restaurants whether it was breakfast or dinner time have exceptional people working in them who made sure you always had a drink in your hand or a little trick to give you a smile. The themes for dinner changed every night in the restaurants so you don't feel like you are going to be eating the same thing every night, not that it would be a problem because the food is fabulous in every sense of the word. After dinner we would make our way to the lobby for some entertainment like karaoke/casino night or the Mexican Fiesta (where which by the way I won a contest and was called Poncho for the week) you were guaranteed to have a good time. The lobby servers always made sure you didn't have an empty glass and even have a recommendation for a drink for you to try.

I could go on writing about our stay but it couldn't do the hotel justice unless you just go experience it for yourself. The 500+ people working for them are just wonder people who always smiled at you and said hello which to me makes staying here just a wonderful experience. I would definitely say Velas Vallarta is a 5 Star resort that I would visit again as well as recommend to my family and friends.

Room Tip: The most of the rooms on the upper floors have beautiful views of the ocean.
3 Thank JimmyK84
Cranford, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was part of the Carosi family of 9 that stayed at Velas Vallarta last week. I see my daughter Alyssa H. has already rendered her opinion of the resort. This is definitely a 5 star hotel. The service at the pool area, lobby bar, pool bar, room service and in the restaurants were excellent. The facility was clean and well maintained. There was plenty of pool seating and pool area. There was activities through out the day. The weather was great as well. the hotel was a short 10 minute ride from the airport and only 15 minutes from the City. The food at the restaurants were top notch and i agree with Alyssa we really liked the nightly dinner themes. My favorite meal was the pasta with the red sauce. It was better than Mom's. The best entertainment was allowing participation from the guests. the bestnights was the Karioke and one of us won the dance contest. We all had messages and they were fantastic.

We nicknamed the peacock "Kevin" and fed the iguanas daily.

I would to especiaaly thank Geraldine Beccerra, Quality Executive, Jacinto from pool service and David from the lobby bar. Their service was great.

This was one of my top vacations.

Thank you Velas Vallartta!

1 Thank Joe H
Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Our family first experienced Velas Vallarta 5 years ago and couldn't wait to get back! We had a group of 14 with us this time around and all of us had a fabulous time. Our enjoyment started at check in with cool wash cloths, 5 minute back massages and cocktails! Once again, we took advantage of the all-inclusive. The resort itself is beautiful and if you are an early riser, you'll see the staff cleaning the grounds early in the morning. The landscaping will blow you away. It's absolutely beautiful! And the pools are GREAT! Our suites were very clean and always well stocked! We would either call or leave a note asking for extra soda or bottled water. Perhaps it was all our fun in the sun that wore us out, but the beds were very comfortable and we all seemed to sleep very well. We loved the all inclusive as some of our party preferred room service for breakfast and some of us enjoyed going to Andrea's for breakfast. We typically had lunch while lounging at the pool. Dinner was normally at Andrea's and a few times at the restaurant on the beach. Although there are only 2 restaurants, they change the menus daily, so you have a nice selection of food choices. The food is really, really good! I refuse to get on a scale for another 2 weeks! ;) The staff at Velas is always aiming to please. My girlfriend is a timeshare owner and is always required to attend a meeting to get the "special deal". This time, she was required to bring a friend who was a non-owner. That was me! I've been through these presentations before and knew going into this that I was not buying. We went on our first day, first thing in the morning (to get it over with). They kept moving us to different tables. In the 2 hours we were with them, we sat at 6 different tables and dealt with 4 different people. I'm not sure if there is a method behind this madness, but we weren't falling for it! They tried to get my girlfriend (the owner) to upgrade (with no luck), but not any of them tried to sell me a timeshare!! I'm not complaining, I just found this funny. We were strict about our time with them. They claim it will take 45 minutes, but we knew better and 2 hours was our limit! You must be strong will about this or they will keep you there forever. So, our "timeshare presentation" wasn't too painful. Those of us who had services at the spa....manicure, pedicure, massages thought they were all great! At the pool, we were fortunate to get Marcelino and Miguel to serve us. We fell in love with both of them. Our glasses never went empty and they brought us all sorts of snacks throughout our stay. The food at the pool is surprisingly good. They brought out fruit cups, chicken wings (very good), pigs in a blanket, etc. as afternoon snacks. We had our fair share of pina colodas, daiquiri's, margaritas, Blue Hawaiians, beer, and so many other fruity drinks. (Remember...there were 14 of us with different taste buds!) Whenever we asked for anything special...we got it! As for lunch food at the pool...the hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, quesadillas, guacamole, club sandwich, chicken sandwich, etc. all got two thumbs up! Really....we didn't have anything that was awful. Marcelino and Miguel worked hard for us and managed to keep 14 different people in our party all VERY happy! They were always very pleasant, lots of fun and in a good mood despite how hot it was! We were also amazed at how clean they always looked and it was HOT and HUMID when we were there (Last week of June!). Although they say that tips are included in the all inclusive, we ALWAYS tip more! We leave tips for the maids cleaning our suites on a daily basis and the waiters in the restaurants and we always tipped our pool waiters at the end of the day for their service. However, even though we all pitched in for the daily tip for each waiter that served our family at the pool, many of us tipped them throughout the day as well. Truly, they were that good and they do not get paid nearly enough. (We learned on a tour that many of the resort staff only make $1-$2 an hour or $80 Peso's a day for 8 hours of work!) We made sure that they knew how much we appreciated their services and how well they took care of all of us. The best part was that they were so grateful. They kept thanking us for our generosity and for coming to Velas, etc. If you are going to Velas...look out for Marcelino and Miguel at the pool...you will be guaranteed great service and they will spoil you rotten! I miss them already! At Andrea's...we had Francisco as our waiter most nights and he too was another gem! Enrique was also a GREAT waiter at Andrea's! Really...the service is outstanding. For dinner...be sure to make reservations at Andrea's if that is where you would like to eat. One night, we waited too long and 3 of us got the only reservation left at Andrea's outside. Well, it was a hot, humid night and we took the table because we wanted to eat there. I was a bit disappointed to see the inside of the restaurant empty. When I asked if we could move inside, they said no, that they had reservations. Well, in the hour we were there, the table for 4 on the inside remained empty the entire time. That was a bit disappointing that they wouldn't accommodate us who were there and held out for people who never showed for their reservation. At the pool, we came to enjoy the Iguana's even if they jumped in the pool to swim across to the other side. They are a little freaky at first, but really harmless. The black birds got on our nerves. You cannot leave any food unattended. We watched them swoop in and steal french fries, chips, break through a bag of Doritos, cut through a pizza box, etc. And then, they would land on the edge of our chairs and poop on our towels. We grew to hate these birds and we were always on the look out to keep them away from our personal items. You will also see Peacocks wandering through the resort as well. The one is absolutely beautiful, so keep your camera with you at all times. However, a few people in our party complained about how loud they were in the mornings and how they woke them up. The beach at Velas is just OK and rather rocky...until you get further in the water. There are definitely better beaches in PV! A few of the guys in our group took a fishing trip excursion. 2 of the 4 got sea sick, and the other 2 caught 2 fish. The water was VERY rough even for those who are boaters. So, if you choose to do this, watch the weather forecast. They also took an ATV tour with Unique Tours and they loved that! Thanks to Trip Advisor, I learned that they (Unique Tours) were a reputable company, and the guys were very pleased. Some of our party swam with dolphins, and others golfed at a Jack Nickolas course and they loved both! A few of us took a 4 hour city tour (with a stop at a tequila distillery) with an independent tour guide that we booked through Velas. Our guide was fantastic and we traveled in an air conditioned van. Sure, it was $40 an hour, but when split between all of us...it was very reasonable and worth every penny. AND...we did what the big tour buses (and 50 people) do in 8 hours! Mid way during our stay they began doing work on the bricks around the pool. One day in particular we had to hear the jack hammer all day. That wasn't great, but it's nice to see that they are continuing to improve the grounds at the resort to make it nice for it's guests. One complaint we have is that there isn't an air conditioned bar anywhere on the resort. It would have been nice to have a place to go get a drink before dinner or after dinner. The lobby has a bar and entertainment at night, but it's NOT air conditioned. Granted, we were there during a very hot and humid time of year, but nonetheless, an air conditioned bar/nightclub would have been nice. Another complaint we had is the $16 daily charge for very poor wifi service. We were shocked that it cost $16 a day in this day and age and then were VERY disappointed in how bad/slow the service was. My boyfriend is an IT professional and was ready to ask for his money back! In the end, we only got it twice because it really was very slow and sometimes didn't work at all. If Velas Vallarta wants to stay competitive, they really need to improve their wifi services! Velas does have a little store on sight for those not using the all inclusive or for those of you who want to purchase something you can't get through the all inclusive. However, there is a Walmart down the street and a $5-$6 cab ride (one way). You'll get more for your money at Walmart. A Sam's Club is also next door to the Walmart. Overall, Velas Vallarta gets 5 stars from our family!!! We truly had a wonderful time and highly recommend this place to anyone!!! Muchas Gracias to the staff at Velas Vallarta for making our stay such a memorable one!!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a higher floor! 3rd floor or higher is what we would recommend!
8 Thank Barb826
Florence, Colorado
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We arrived at the airport and our van was waiting to pick us up and take us to paradise. After arriving at the hotel we were greeted and treated like royalty. This is a wonderful resort. My husband, daughter, son in law and I had a 2 bedroom suite. It was very very clean. The beds were heaven to climb into every night. The staff thru out the resort was amazing. We spent 8 nights there and had the all inclusive package. The food was awesome, and we also had 24 hour room service. I would highly recommend Velas Vallarta to anyone going to Puerta Vallarta. We went downtown one day using public transportation and felt completely safe. All of the towns people were very helpful and friendly. This was a great place to visit and I would highly recommend this to anyone going to Mexico. Awesome place!!!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor and had a great view of the resort, as well as the ocean. The high you stay...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Nutley, New Jersey
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Staying at Velas Vallarta for 8 days in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico was amazing! To start off, the entire staff was excellent and, from the start, made me and my family feel at home. The service was phenomenal - no matter where you ended up for the night's festivities, a waiter would offer to bring you drinks (in which your glass was never empty!). The staff at Velas Vallarta was very friendly and respectful, providing the best service. The meals at Velas Vallarta were delicious. What I liked the most was the fact that the restaurants on the resort had different cultural themes each night for dinner. My favorite was Italian and I really love their pasta Alfredo! It was like no other pasta sauce I had ever tasted! The grounds are gorgeous and I will miss the peacocks and iguanas that roamed the grounds of the resort! I would definitely rate Velas Vallarta a 5 star hotel. For myself and my family, this resort is worth staying at again and I will recommend this hotel to family members and friends!

Room Tip: I had a suite that overlooked the inside of the outer part of the resort. It was a beautiful view...
1 Thank Alyssa H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#8 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & ...
#7 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#29 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!