“2nd Visit, This place is Awesome! GO TINO GO!”
Review of Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed at Velas for a second time over the Presidents Day week (Feb-19-26) with my wife and two kids (age 8 and 6). Booked a two bedroom suite, with the all inclusive option in advance that provided round trip transfers from the airport.
Upon Check in were notified they were completely over booked with 2 bedroom suites, but was pleased to be notified they had upgraded us to a 3 bedroom suite on the 5th floor of building 4.

ALL OF THE OTHER reviews are pretty accurate, so I will try not to be redundant. You can also read my previous reviews as it still is accurate. I highly recommend this property, but there are some obvious areas to consider when choosing a resort property....So here are few things to keep in mind if you are considering coming to Velas.

#1. It is very close the airport. Yes You hear planes take off throughout the day, but didn't bother us. If you don't want to hear airplane noise, don't stay here. My son and I enjoyed watching the planes take off and land. It was fun to walk down the beach and literally stand right under them. Very cool for a n 8 year old boy.
#2, The hotel varies in its client base. Over school vacation time you are going to see "lots of kids" . The rest of the time its pretty older adult driven. This is not a place for young adults to come to "party" all night, although I suppose you could do that....If you are looking for a happening night life at the resort itself, don't stay here...If you want to stay at a place without kids, don't stay here....It's a family resort and perfect for our needs. My Kids enjoyed the KIDS club and its varying choices through out the day.
#3. The Staff.....Our experiences with the staff were amazing. Our favorite, just as last time was TINO from the pool/beach server staff. He is the reason we came back to this resort. Completely goes over board to please his area. He has a connection with folks and works hard to make sure we have what we need "ALL DAY". My family has had the great fortune of getting to know this fine man. He works hard and wants to make sure all of your needs are met. If you come, please stay in TINO's section, you will not be disappointed. Tino we will be back soon! Other staff to note that did a great job was "Jesus" in the steak house and staff Security worker "Freddy"...both were excellent!
#4. The rooms vary, but are fine. It is an older property and yes it could use a bit of an upgrade inside (Flat screen TV's, etc)...but how much time do you spend in your room? The rooms are fine and we enjoyed them. Yes the studio units are on the back side of the resort and don't face the pool...but remember, you get what you pay for....If you don't want a smaller room, pay more to get a room with a view and a balcony. We loved being on the 5th floor with a great view...Ground floor units have quick access to the pool, also a bonus.
#5. Time Share people are in the lobby and want to talk to you. This trip we were not asked one time if we were interested..not even a phone call after check for us to schedule an "orientation" regarding the resort which they did on our first visit. Biggest word of advise, if you are not interested just say NO....and they will respect that..however, if you subject yourself to the actual presentation, then you set yourself up for that. We all know how those things work.....
#6. Food- The food is great...NO COMPLAINTS. You can find variety but you need to be pro-active..That is call at 7 am to make reservations at the nice restaurant. We enjoy the steak house and sitting with a view of the ocean and it was great for my kids.

All in all, this place is awesome....The grounds, the pools, the beach, the service all over the top! Can't wait to come back for a third time....This property will be in our Rotation. LOVE VELAS and LOVE TINO!

Room Tip: We prefer a higher floor...don't book a studio, make sure your room has a balcony with view of p...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Donald D

Reviewed March 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last week with our twin 8-year-old boys. It was pretty much everything we wanted it to be.

The all-inclusive plan is the only way to go. I will say that the only reason I didn't give 5 stars is that the food isn't GREAT, but it's fine. I would have liked more vegetables and also more traditional Mexican food, but this is my only criticism. Plan to spend a couple hundred on tips (you can write them in at meals).

The kids loved the pools and the free kids activities. The staff was really friendly and attentive. The room was nice. They even stock the room with snacks and drinks every day. The beach was nice for sitting at, not so much for swimming.

If I stayed again, I would ask for a room farther away from the hotel lobby because it gets very loud at night (and our kids went to bed right around the time the band started playing). Also, make it clear at check in that you don't want to be bothered about the timeshare - they left us alone.

Room Tip: If you don't plan to stay up late, ask for a room away from the lobby. Our door faced the main b...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank K8MN
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Right at the hotel entrance we enjoyed a warm welcome from the bellmen: Alex, Cerbando and Miguel, to name just a few! Thanks to Donald for strategically locating our daughter's wedding announcement right in the lobby. Our guests were checked in efficiently and were given welcome drinks, such a nice touch! Most of our rooms were booked through Juventino, what a huge help he was. We hosted a meet and greet party for our guests - special thanks go to Pablo, Rosalio, Santos and Luis for making it a success. When we did have a problem with our room the maintenance people were very fast and fixed us right up. Stephanie did a beautiful job of setting up the beach for the wedding and her recommendations for a minister and photographer were excellent! I can't think of a more beautiful setting for wedding pictures, they are amazing. Our guests all appreciated Jacinto, our waiter around the pool, always ready with a drink, food, a spanish lesson or a joke, he's the best!! Geraldine, Jay says thank you, again! The only problem we encountered this trip was the lack of internet in the rooms and we are hopeful that the Velas will resolve this soon. This is a beautiful hotel in an excellent location, but what makes it so special is the staff, they are true ambassadors!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Every few years for the last several years we have travelled to PV with good friends. We selected Velas Vallarta this time as we have stayed before at their sister facility..Grand Velas. Excellent time was had by all!!! Velas Vallarta property was beautiful and well maintained. We had a one bedroom suite that was good size even by USA standards...and complete with a kitchenette just the right size. We utilized the all inclusive, and was very satisfied with quality of food, drink and service. Our balcony view was great and very relaxing to sit out in the am with room service breakfast and/or morning coffee. A special note for the poolside cheeseburgers BBQed every day that were outstanding-- would highly recommend Velas Vallarta for all inclusive value.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Merlotman
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I recently spent my birthday at Velas from March 7 to March 11 and from the very beginning it was nothing short of spectacular. I reserved my room directly through the hotel with Yessica Lira. She is the nicest person that I have ever encountered via a reservation line for a hotel. She noted special details, gave me suggestions on rooms, etc. I booked a 1 bedroom suite as per other reviews, I did not want the studio. When I checked in I was offered a nice cold glass of hibiscus water...yummy! When I entered the room, #2507, there was a cake waiting on the table for me. I knew then that I was going to have a good time. Service is just unbelievably on point, the grounds are immaculate, and the food was pretty good for an AI. The pool side service is very top notch. I never had to flag anyone down, drinks were nice and strong. Try the mango margarita, the glass is rimmed with salt and pepper! The food at the buffets isn't like it is at other, larger resorts. The buffet is small enough where you don't feel overwhelmed by the food yet there's enough choices for any eater. The steak at La Ribera was very good. I hail from the windy city of steak and potatoes so I'm pretty finicky when it comes to steaks but La Ribera was delicious. As others have stated, everyone works very hard and tips go a long way. I only left the hotel one day to walk around the malecon as it was recently remodeled. I've been coming to Puerto Vallarta as a child and I can honestly say that it is my favorite place to be in Mexico. Granted it doesn't have the white beaches and the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean but it has that local feel that I always yearn when I leave to go back home. I just can't describe it! By and far Velas has been my favorite spot in Puerto Vallarta thus far. Have a wonderful time where ever you decide to stay but I highly recommend Velas!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lluvia37
Reviewed March 13, 2012

It was a great stay, the food, the layout and the friendly people! The people really made us feel at home and went out of there way to make our experience special! Marcelino was our pool server and we would try to be in his section everyday, we have never experience such punctual outstanding service! We will be back. Thank you.

Room Tip: Not by the entrance to the lobby!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I read almost every reveiw before we went on this trip just to be sure I knew what to expect. I have to say this place was fantastic! My husband and I went with two friends, and we would go back again for sure! The worst part was dealing with the time share people at the airport, but once we said we were not interested they left us alone. We had reserved a shuttle that picked us up right when we got out of the airport and the resort is only 5 minutes away. When we checked in our room was not ready but they upgraded us to a 3bedroom for no extra charge which was nice. They held our bags and we were able to go eat and go to the pool while we waiting. When we discovered our room was on the 1st floor we asked for a higher room for a better view and we were immediately given a room on the 7th floor with a gorgeous view of the resort and ocean. I must say the service at this place was fantastic. Everyone from the servers, to the room service, to the customer service gave us full attention and were so helpful! Another great part of the trip was the food. I read some bad reviews and was so surprised how anyone could think it was bad. We did not have one bad meal! The servers at all of the restaurants are friendly and timely. We had a few favorites while we were there. Jesus, a server at the beach restaurant, was super helpful with what we should do while we were there and always spoke to us every time we saw him. Marciello, one of the pool servers, was the best! He got us whatever we needed and was so friendly every single day! Victor, one of the night room service guys, was so friendly and we were happy to see him almost every night! The activity leaders, Christian and Fernando were also great. They kept us entertained and are really great at their jobs. Velas is lucky to have them on board.

All in all, this was a great great trip and we were sad to leave. Thank you Velas for going out of your way to make our stay in PV such a memorable one! We will be back!!

Room Tip: I would recommend a higher room simply for a better view of the ocean, but all of the rooms are nice...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends