Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort
Ranked #21 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This was my husband's and I first trip to Puerto Vallarta. We went with my husband's sister and her husband. When we arrived we had rooms on different floors and wanted to be located on the same floor. Laura, from the front desk, told us that she was going to show us other rooms beside each other. Well we were more than surprised when the rooms she gave us were joining rooms, joining balconies and to top it off, a jacuzzi tub on the balcony. One room had a kitchenette and the other had a larger bed. These rooms were ocean front, amazing view. Thank you Laura, you are wonderful..
The staff was very kind and courtesy, making sure that we were always happy and that our drinks were always full. The restuarant staff were amazing, always making us laugh and making sure that our coffee cups were always full. Everytime our plates were empty, the table was cleared off. I really enjoyed my one egg omelette with all the fixings every morning. Done just right.
The pool area was very clean. We really enjoyed the "Adult only Pool". We sat there with our drinks and enjoyed every minute of it. When we sat on the beach, our drinks were always full.
I have to say that my husband and I enjoyed our stay and we were very impressed with the excellent service we recieved by all the staff. Thank you so very much for making our trip so very enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank threekidsWinnipeg
Write a ReviewReviews (3,407)

Reviewed May 23, 2010

Firstly, I think it is extremely important for people to rate the resort, and not their travel agent or the excursions, the sightseeing and whatever else. If your travel agent was poor, rate them somewhere else. If you got suckered in by timeshare people, you were probably warned but didn't heed it. When you are offered something for nothing, it's a timeshare ploy. If you fall for it, get over it and don't get fooled again!

This was our second trip to Mexico this winter. The weather was not that great for our first trip, and we felt like going back if we could find one of those last-minute deals.

We chose the Friendly Hola because we got an excellent all-inclusive price. Bargain basement deal. After reading the reviews here and looking at the photographs of the resort, we knew what to expect and paid the right price for it. As a result, we were not at all disappointed.

The staff was friendly, the drinks no more watered down than anywhere (I bypassed the issue by drinking straight tequila, as I developed a taste for it. The locals seem to respect this choice, and always brought a second glass with nothing but limes on ice!).

The place was clean. No, it was not immaculate, but seriously people, look around your own house. Is every corner spotless and every crack repaired? To never see a single piece of refuse is not a realistic expectation.

The pool is what you would expect from the photos. We were there during a busy week and it was kid soup. I do believe they should not allow food beside the pool and have designated eating areas, because even though the place is spic and span by morning, it's pretty messy by mid-afternoon. People are on vacation and don't pick up after themselves, I guess. We did see what was the owner or manager walk by every so often and wow, did the staff run around and pick up empties pronto! They were extremely busy and it was obvious d that they were making an honest effort to keep up.

If you are bringing fussy children, older or younger, the less varied food choices might be an issue. There were meals (especially breakfast) where I ate because I was hungry, and not because I was expecting a delightful culinary affair. But again, we paid so little for the all-inclusive package, we were happy to pay for a restaurant meal in town.

Of the items that many patrons criticize harshly:

Towel cards: Pack your own towels and problem solved. Towel policing is an issue at every resort.

Too many locals or foreigners that aren't the same nationality as you staying at the resort: Seriously? Why travel then?

Entertainment: Consider how much a hotel is able to pay to provide entertainment, consider the price you are paying on a per diem basis for your vacation. Compare these to the cost of theatre or concert tickets in your hometown, plus transportation and/or parking.

In summary, the location is excellent with so much so close by (we walked to two different malls), the beach is lovely, the hotel / pool / grounds are what you should expect from the photos posted by reviewers. Keep an eye out for a bargain (and learn to spot a timeshare salesperson) and you will be pleased with the Friendly Hola in Puerto Vallarta!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pheedom
Reviewed May 23, 2010

The service that we had at Friendly says it all..I was so impressed at how the accomodations were,the food and most of all the staff. I'ts very sad that we don't get the same service in Canada that we did there. From the minute you get up to time you go to bed there was nothing and I mean nothing bad to say about the friendly staff and Friendly. Laura who works at front desk was an amazingly lovely person and so accomodating to us...I highly reccomend staying at Friendly to anyone staying in Puerto Vallarta you will regret one minute of it.....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Edwarda4
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My review a bit late since we stayed in jan. 2010 but had to say this hotel is second to none in puerto vallarta for their hospitality. Must start with Renando the front desk manager he was FANTASTIC dealing with my wife and i, the room we had was right next to the lobby and got very noisy in the evening when the entertanment would start,we asked him to be moved and he put us in a suite right on the ocean.Christian also a manager would go out of his way to check on us and make sure everything was alright whether it would be around the pool where we had the same place every day for 2 weeks with Kelly and Tara or if we were in the lobby or playing pool he was always stopping to talk and make sure we were having a good time.
The pool waiters would never see your glass empty they were the best especially ERIC .
We had stayed at this hotel before when it was called The Qualton, but since it has changed to the Hola Vallarta it is by far the best hospitality we have ever had at a hotel in puerto vallarta and we have been going to P/V for 15 years and stayed at many hotels.
All the staff were great, and we will return next year and hope to see Renando,Christian and Eric we hope they are still there...THEY MADE OUR HOLIDAY THE BEST EVER..

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank boxer25
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My husband and I have been trying to plan a family trip for several years now. Anyone with 4 children aged 17 to 27 knows the difficulties in scheduling, but we were finally able to find one week which worked for the 6 of us, plus a son-in-law and girlfriend of 1 son, a total of 8 people. Then came the challenge of finding the right resort, which best suited all of our needs. I am an avid fan of Tripadvisor and after much research, I picked the Hola in Puerto Vallarta. Having been to all-inclusives in Huatulco, Mazatlan, Cancun, The Mayan, Cuba, the Dominican and to 3 others in Puerto Vallarta, I have to say, this was by far the BEST I have ever been to. We have been to 5 stars before, and the service and food do not compare to the Hola. The service we received throughout the week was amazing, and everything was done with a huge smile. I sent an email to the hotel a couple of months prior to arriving, requesting Floor 7 or higher (read about the noise factor) and also wanted a great ocean view and thirdly, for all 4 rooms to be together. Lilliana, the best concierge ever, replied immediately. I did send her a reminder a couple of days before we arrived and she replied, "I never forget a request", and she did not. We had 4 rooms on Floor 7, with incredible ocean views. Lilliana was there for us, whenever we needed anything, throughout the entire week. Thank you Lilliana!! You are the best!!

The 5 men in our family were going Deep Sea Fishing on the 2nd day we were in PV. We had asked Lilliana if there was anyway that "if" they caught any fish, would the hotel prepare it for us? Her answer was again- absolutely! The men did catch a 50 lb. Roosterfish, which they had filleted at the dock and brought back to the Hola. "Angel", one of the chefs at the Hola prepared this fish in the most delicious way - grilled with garlic butter and served with fresh avocados, tomatoes, quacamole, salsa and an endless supply of warm flour tortillas....it was simply delicious!! Angel brought the fish out to our table on a huge platter and the presentation was wonderful. There was enough fish that they froze the rest and Angel prepared us another meal later on in the week as well. Thank you Angel!!

The staff at this hotel are so friendly and helpful, that it creates such a warm feeling about the resort. We have stayed at huge 5 star resorts which lacked friendliness, service and character, and although the Hola is smaller and maybe not as lavish as some we have stayed at, the ambiance and atmosphere was really incredible. A special thanks to Sergio, Monica, Carlos, Cynthia (great dancer)....sorry I can't remember all of your names!!

The rooms here are the nicest that we have stayed at in Mexico, very clean and bright with wonderful views. The cleaning staff are amazing. I asked for extra bath towels the first day we arrived, and without fail, they continued to leave me extra towels each day.

Our children bought my husband and I a couples massage. At first I thought...oh no, I don't really like massages. I have had half a dozen or so in Banff, Jasper and various spas in Calgary, and I found they always hurt. But we went for it- and WOW- the best massage either of us have ever had. Mara and Lara(not sure of the spelling) were wonderfaul and just listening to the waves and laying in the midst of tranquilty-I was so thankful we went for it!

I also believe that a holiday is what you make of it, and we certainly did!! From the beach volleyball each day, to the endless cocktails, wonderful meals, great excursions ziplining, ATV-ing in the spectacular Sierra Madres, deep sea fishing, swimming in the wild with dolphins, taking in the authentic taco stand (Lilliana recommended-yummy), walking the Malecon, eating fish on a stick in Old Town, I would say that Puerto Vallarta is hard to beat! Fun, fun, fun!!

Gracious, Hola!! We will be back as soon as we can.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank queenbee49
Reviewed April 27, 2010

From pickup at the airport right to when we got droped off there again,the service was outstanding. The entire resort was spotless at all times, and there was plenty of variety of very good food available at all times. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, very personable. We felt welcome anywhere anytime. The a la carte dinner at the "la leche" (part of the all inclusive) is an absolute must - wow !!!!

We also loved the excercise crew - we had a blast with them !!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank craig029
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Mu husband and I just got back from a fabulous vacation here at the Hola. I honestly believe that a vacation is what you make it and if you expect things to be like home than stay there!!

I loved the location and our beach was very nice. Water got deep quick but didn't find that a problem. Even though it was Mexican spring break we didn't find it to busy to not get a chair or drink. Your on vacation... RELAX! The staff by far was the best I have ever experienced! Hands down.. Loved you all! Overall it was a great experience and would love to go back!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple