“Puerto Vallarta Perfection: Perfect wedding, and perfect people”

Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort
Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Calgary, Alberta
“Puerto Vallarta Perfection: Perfect wedding, and perfect people”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We stayed at the Friendly Hola from February 9th - 21st. When I had been researching hotels to host our wedding it was extremely important that we had something that was of good value for our friends and family, allowed for children, and we got a good "vibe" from. As soon as I came across The Friendly Hola Vallarta I knew that we would not be disappointed.

True, this is not a 5-star resort, however, we were never treated like it wasn't. When we needed something, it was there, all we had to do was ask. The staff was greatly accommodating to our needs, and extremely personable. It was extremely clean (I didn't see one insect in the hotel), and I thought the food was amazing (ie. I didn't find it boring at all).

For our wedding, Araceli took special care to ensure ahead of time that we had everything in place, that we had the time we wanted, beautiful flowers, and a delicious private reception on the beach. After our reception, we found our room adorned in flower petals, and a bottle of champagne with chocolate and strawberries. It was truly romantic, and a beautiful touch to top of an amazing day.

The only complaint I have is that while we were there Reading Week students showed up, and defnitely changed the positive vibe we had at the resort. We had noticed when we booked that this was "not a Spring break hotel", however it didn't seem to deter the Spring breakers from coming down in droves. Perhaps what bothered me the most about that was their rudeness to the staff and demanding nature. I had to remind myself more than once to bite my tongue.

We will definitely be going back to the Friendly Hola Vallarta, though likely not during Reading Week or Spring break. We enjoyed the local flair and the great hospitality and hope that others can enjoy the same.

1 Thank mezzo17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Minnesota
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My husband and I went to Freindly Hola Vallarta with another couple in February. We got a great deal on a package through Funjet. We got a liitle worried after reading some of the reviews, but we should have known that, as always, some people will complain about anything! The resort is not advertised as 5 *, nor are you paying 5* prices, so you shouldn't be expecting that.
That said ,we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We had beautiful rooms near each other on the seventh floor in the main tower of the hotel. These were standard rooms. Thay had king sized beds. the beds were a little hard, but comfortable. They were very nice sized, with a little sitting area at one end. The balcony was small, but had room for two chairs to sit and enjoy the view. We had a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean and we could see the sunsets from there, too.
We were greeted in reception by the desk staff and the concierge and given a "welcome drink". Since we arrived in the morning the rooms were not quite ready yet, but the bellman watched our luggage while we wandered around and had lunch.
We thought that the food was excellent. There was a lot of variety and you could always find something to eat. We ate at the Gourmet restaurant twice and at the Sunset restaurnant also in the evening where you were able to order off a menu. Both husbands had birthdays while we were there and were treated to a bottle of champagne and fruit in our rooms.
Everyone was very "friendly" and helpful. We did not ever run into anyone working there who was not. We did however run into some guests who were not. One women was so grumpy that she purposely pushed the close door button on the elevator (more than once) as we were trying to get in. We also saw her yelling at a worker because she didn't have the right kind of chair to sit in on the beach when she finally decided to come down in the morning. There was a very nice young man whose job it was to arrange the chairs and get umbrellas for guests every morning who she was yelling about and we felt bad for him. I guess your vacation is what you make it and if you are nice others are nice in return. (Although the staff was still nice to those who were rude to them.)
We took the bus to downtown-you can catch it right out front and it is very easy to figure out. We also had a wonderful massage on the beach!
I would recommend this resort to anyone-unless you are just plain grumpy all the time. We loved it!

2 Thank Wemeansyou
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We have been at the Friendly Hola four times now and it just keeps getting better. We were there Feb. 12th to 19th celebrating our anniversary. Mary and Liliana in the concierage along with all the fantastic staff made it a lasting memory.

When we arrived there was petals on the floor spelling ``welcome`` in our 11th floor room and on the king Size bed was a heart of petals. On the coffee table in front of the love seat was a bottle of champagne and fruit plate. Halfway through our stay we came back to the room one day to find a repeat of the same beautiful gestures with another bottle of champage and fruit along with decorations. Each day the chamber maids went above and beyond by doing a beautiful towel decoration on our bed. Our room was spotless the entire stay.

The view from our spacious room was breathtaking as usual, as all the rooms face the ocean in the tower at the HOLA! What a way to wake up each morning. The only addition to the rooms to make them perfect would be a mini fridge with bottled water.

On February 14th (Valentine`s Day) all the guests were treated to a beautiful Beach Buffet Dinner and Dance with live entertainment. The band was incredible, the food and presentation was second to none with multiple carving and serving stations. It was a valentines day to remember. We learned that the staff prepared for 3 whole days to ensure everything was perfect.

Each morning we would have breakfast in the main floor restaurant or the 2nd floor outdoor terrace. There was always a great selection of food available, with an on-site chef ready to make your eggs anyway you like them (omelettes, scrambled, etc) Service was always excellent! Lunch and suppers were the same, lots of variety to choose from. A nice surprise this time was to find out that we could dine ala carte every evening if we so desired either in the casual elegance of the outdoor rooftop terrace restaurant (Which you did not have to put pants on for). There is also a formal ala carte Gourmet restaurant on the Main Floor as well as a formal restaurant for ala carte down the street which we did not get to. There was also a nice addition for those that like to stay up late with a chef serving up grilled meats, snacks, etc. in the main buffett until 0500 hrs.

One of the big things that we noticed this time was all the new additions (enlarged beach area, additional hot tub, palm trees and endless heated adult pool. ) There was also lots of beach chairs for everyone! The Hola also offers lots of activities if you ever get tired of relaxing under a palapa. Just to mention a few there is beach and pool volleyball, water arobics, kayaking, a gym, spa, tennis courts, kid`s activity centre, etc. I had the best massage at the end of the pier, another service offered. For those who like a little action in the evening they also offer nightly entertainment. ie: karoake, dancing, performances, etc. Needless to say there is plenty to do if you want.

The location is great! It`s only a 10 minute ride from the airport and a 5 minute bus or cab ride to downtown Puerto Vallarta, where there`s lots of shopping, restaurants, sightseeing and night life. Oh and if by chance you forgot something at home, right behind the Hola is a huge mall that has everything!!!!! Location, location, location!

The best part is the staff with their genuine friendliness, smiles and enthusiasm to please - unbeatable! Whether you are being served in a restaurant, by the pool or on the beach the service was the same - second to none`.

We have travelled Mexico and will continue to return to the Friendly Hola and will continue to highly recommend it to anyone.

Thank you Friendly Hola staff and management for another great memory.

2 Thank Mexigoer60
Reviewed March 21, 2010

This is my third trip back to the Friendly Hola and I wouldn't go anywhere else. The staff is unbelievably friendly and recognize their guests without hesitation. If you want to stay at a place that greets you from the moment that you step into the lobby and all the way through the resort, this is the place for you. If you want to go somewhere where they never even notice that you are there, do not come to the Friendly Hola. All guests are treated as if you are a part of their family. Since 2007 a beautiful gravity pool has been added on the beach and I couldn't have been happier then to see so many of the same friendly staff still working at this beautiful inviting hotel. The Friendly Hola has 5 restaurants to choose from and all have superior service and the bartenders are something else. You do not even have to get up close to the counter and your drink is already made! Now that is superior service and with a smile. Come to the Friendly Hola and I guarantee you that you will come back time after time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ditto6264
winnipeg,mb
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This was our first all-inclusive and all 6 of us were very pleased; the food was good and the service fantastic. Staff worked very hard to make sure we had a good time. Would not hesitate to return in the future.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tucker021
saskatchewan
Reviewed March 19, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Friendly Hola Vallarta March 9-16,2010. The weather was amazing! This is definately a 3 star resort, no frills or anything but a good time none the less. The activity staff is very energetic and fun, the servers are very couteous and always there for you. The food is very good, the a-la-carte is excellent(you can have it as much as you want). The grounds are kept very clean and well groomed. The shopping in the area is plentiful. The couples massages on the beach are incredible a definate must do and very affordable. The only suggestion I have is to lock your suitcase while out of your room as I had 5 articles of clothing stolen and we heard this happened to others as well. I reported it to the front desk and they look into it but unfortunately no luck in getting anything back.

Enjoy,
Andrea and Jim

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank m2wild
Abbotsford, BC
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Ok, I feel that I am in measure to write an accurate review regarding of my stay in Pto Vallarta after my second year. A different hotel from last year gives me something to compare to the Friendly Hola with. Last year, we stayed at the Holiday Inn with a similar package. Both hotel have the same rating according to our tour operator, so it will be a fair comparison.

The room: 3100 was an absolute nightmare with a beautiful view. Just beside the room, there is the extremely noisy air conditioning. And I mean noisy. The staff at the desk was helpful to find us a new room, but we lost our ocean view :-(. Personally, it didn't bother me that much, but I can see why someone wouldn't be impressed by that. I liked the rustic look of the Friendly Hola much better than the just "old" Holiday Inn. We're talking personal taste here. It was extremely clean and the AC worked really well.

The service: Absolutely awesome. But we could say the same about the Holiday Inn. The front desk staff, servers and chamber maids were all very friendly and helpful. Remember that these guys have only 1 day off/week.

The food: This one place I feel that the Holiday Inn was a strong step above. I often saw the same menu over and over and I craved the choices I had the previous year. But the freshly made enchiladas and burritos were phenomenal.

The drinks: Some mix I liked such as tequila sunrise and piña colada. The beer wasn't up to my expectation - too warm. I finally went to Soriana and bought a cooler and beer. It ended up being cheaper than giving $20 pesos for 2 drinks, not to mention that I had the coldest beer on the beach. I think I reached a point in my life were I prefer quality instead of quantity.

The beach: Easier to get in the water than last year's resort. I liked it quite a bit. Never went in the pools, so I can't comment on that.

Overall: I think if you like to spend time in your room, you might not enjoy this place that much. It tends to be noisy at times and not all rooms have nice views. However, if you enjoy friendly people, a central location, good food, super friendly staff and spend some time on the beach, you'll really enjoy your stay for a very reasonable price.

Stéphane & Jeanne