“LOVED our experience!”

Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Ontario, Canada
“LOVED our experience!”
Reviewed March 15, 2009

My partner & I have just come back from our first holiday in Puerto Vallarta & we absolutely LOVED our "Hola" experience! We always check out hotels on 'Trip Adviser' before we book & knew after reading the reviews of this hotel that we were going to be happy. Mind you, anyone who has the nerve to to write a review complaining about "too many Mexicans" (gasp!) or "chipped tiles" or " too few t.v. channels in English" writes a review that I hope would be ignored by most.
The hotel was lovely, I couldn't keep my eyes off of the pinatas in the lobby. Our room was very large, the bathroom especially. It was clean, the bed & pillows were very comfortable and there was lots of hot water. The balcony was spacious and the view, of course, was incredible. But we don't holiday down south to sit in a hotel room so.....the beach!
We walked the beach both ways as far as we could & ours was, without a doubt, the best. A great little area near the break water on the left for snorkling....we saw many more types of fish than friends we'd made said they'd seen on a boat tour that took them out to snorkle. The waiters come to serve drinks and come by with treats from time to time. They are also very quick to clean up. And on the topic of the waiters, of ALL of the Hola staff, these people are, without a doubt, absolutely fabulous! So friendly and sincere. Some don't speak much English but that was fine, we got to practise our Spanish. Please note that yes, it is an inclusive but these fine people earn less per day than our minimum wage earners do per hour, so please tip from time to time.
Some people complained about the food.....that it was repetitive ("didn't serve 'Alberta Beef'") but we enjoyed it (especially the seafood and the meal we had at La Leche was definately the best I've eaten in years.) I suppose it depends on what you want from a Mexican holiday. If you want to sit in your room, watch t.v. and gorge yourself on Canadian style food than go shopping at Wal Mart than perhaps this place is not for you.
We took the city bus down to Old Town a couple times to snoop around, enjoy the sights there and a little shopping of course. So nice to walk about, cold Corona in hand!
We were happy that even though you could drink as much as you wanted, the Hola guests were reasonable. No lousy drunks ruined our holiday! We were also pleasantly surprised that so many guests were Mexican Nationals and appreciated that the shows were in both English and Spanish with Spanish taking priority. The entertainment was fun, we really enjoyed the beach BBQ and let me take this moment to sing the praises of Ale (Alexandra) Her dancing is superb (and she was a wonderful kayaking companion as well!)
I'd recommend this hotel for couples or families with young kids. I think teens could be a little bored (I left mine at home!) There is one adults only pool (which is so beautiful!) & kids aren't allowed in the hot tub. I was in Ixtapa in the '90's and was very suprised how safe and secure I felt in P.V.! Perhaps things are different now but I kept thinking "where are the security guards with rifles?" "how is it we can walk the beach at night?" We were as comfortable making our way about this beautiful place as we are at home. I suppose some people are bothered by the beach vendors but a simple "no gracias" and they were on their way (& at the end of our holiday it was convenient to buy our souvenirs from them instead of heading back into town!)
So, in conclusion, we loved our experience and hope you do too. No hotel/vacation spot is perfect but we and the friends we made during our one week stay kept saying "we're in Mexico baby!....how great is THIS?!"
Hola!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lb64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
richmond hill
Reviewed March 13, 2009

for dinner this is not for you. Honestly the place is older and needs a lot of renovations. But the staff is excellent and so helpful,especially Poncho the concierge that they really make up for some of the shortfalls. They claim to have 4 restaurants but two of then the Sunset Grill and Villa Linda are the buffet and serve the same food. The food caters far too much to the Mexican guests in the hotel. When we were there half the resort was Mexican. The Gourmet restaurant is only open 2 nights a week but I couldn't go as I had a child. We did go to the other restaurant La Leche which is a 5 minute walk outside the resort and you have to make reservations with the concierge. It is really elegant all white and we had the fish and the meal and service was excellent. You can only go to La Leche once a week so really you are stuck at the buffet . The salads and desserts are the same for lunch and dinner and if staying for than a week get tiring. For the kids, the ice cream bar is only open from 5pm to 6pm and half the time if never worked. Also it never tasted right.
While we were there Feb 20 to March 6 I would say half the resort was Mexican. The Tv is mostly Spanish, No ENGLISH CNN. Only headline news from CNN which is all Nancy Grace and her eye rolling rants against the Tot Mom. Not one English language Tv channel for children and there are 72 channels. There is no mini fridge,alarm/clock or iron.
The travel book says you get HBO, but again it is in Spanish. If going bring an alarm/clock radio and I would suggest a nice pillow. The pillows are old and not fluffy. We found the bed hard so they brough bed mats to the room and then we were ok. The blow dryer is circa 1991 so bring your own if your fussy. The patio chairs around the pool were dirty and never once cleaned in the two weeks were there.They had some bird dirt on the tops and some suntan grease on the seating portion.
The problem is this place needs a lot of renovations. For example in elevator button in the lobby is all grimmy and never washed and the actually L button in one of the elevators didn't light up, Some of the tiles are chipped in the hallways and my bathroon needed to be gutted. They even used keys for entering rooms not the normal plastic card. During our stay they replaced some of the old couches in the lobby and our bed
site table with a new marble one so they are trying.

That being said there were some real positives. As I said the staff was friendly and great. You didn't have to get up at 7am to reserve a pool or beach chairs. You could always find something even after 11 am. We has Swedish massages on the beach and they were oustanding about $51 canadian. You must do this if you go. The pool area is the best especially the adult infinity pool which is brand new. The nightly entertainment was nice and we enjoyed it. The staff are so nice for example if you want to take your coffee from the restaurant back to your room or the pool no one yells at you to bring back the cup or that you cannot do this. They always clear your table at the restaurants and really try to please you .I've been to some 5 star resorts and that never happened. The kids club was great , The staff come around the pool to offer you drinks and they even bring these spa towels for your face to refresh you. Sometime they come around this snacks.

Your in a great location, you can walk down the street, 30 minutes on way is Walmart and 15 minutes the other way is Lans a big local department store,which if you go out through the ladies shoes section leads to about another 100 little shop selling clothing ,shoes, jewellery and there is a big grocery store called Sariana. Go there for any beer etc. Kahlua is $10 at Walmart and $13 at the airport. Don't bother with the flea market were went there and found the prices and the experience better on the promenade across from the water. The flea market hounded us ,and for example wanted $35 for a dress I found on the promenade for $20. If you go to Walmart about 5 cents by bus, or $4 cab, next door is the Galleria mall. It's smaller but beautiful and clean. There's a Nike store,Body Shop, Sally Beauty Supply and a food court with Mcdonalds ,Burger King and Subways. Bring you suntan lotion even at Walmart they wanted $15 for it. Also if your Canadian you don't have to switch it to American, the banks and money changers change Canadian for Pesos.

I would not recommend this for a Honeymoon or a romantic get away. This is best for families with children, and there were a lot of retired people. This is not a young person hang out. In fact there were 10 young guys who came down and got drunk and really loud and jumped into the pool with their jeans on . The hotel called the cops and they were thrown out on their first day!!!
All in all had a good trip but took 3 days before I could get over how unelegant this was. People wear shorts to dinner and far too many Mexicans in the hotel. But the view from our room was outstanding ,room 3604.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank maggieRichmondHill
Valleyview, Alberta
Reviewed March 13, 2009

2 weeks at the Hola! INCREDIBLE, friendly staff is what made our stay memorable and the reason I would recommend it. The food was okay, good at times and occasionally really good! Breakfast was always awesome, Lunch could be just a burger/fries/pizza or mexican fare or eat a wider variety in the restaurant. Dinner was awesome once on the beach, okay/good in the restaurants. Mexican theme night was actually the best fare. Just take it as it comes and if you get sick of it dine out - the portion we pay for the liquor/food is a nominal part of the all-inclusive price anyways so don't feel bad about dining out. The infinity pool is new - it's beautiful, heated and you can just while away the hours being served drinks in it overlooking the beach/ocean (adults only). The beach is the ABSOLUTE BEST. Six trips down and definately by far the best location. Excellent service wether it was the maid, front-desk, bartenders, food servers - whoever - they made sure you were well cared for. We felt like the extended family that they liked! I couldn't count the number of times I was asked if everything was okay, if I needed a drink, a chair, a facetowel, a snack....really they went out of their way. I'd love to pack some of these folks up with me and bring them home and return the favor! Some of the shows were good some not so good but hey - they try hard to please! The music was loud and late in the lobby bar every night and while we didn't partake in it the folks that did looked to be having a really really good time! Plenty of lounge beds by the pool and on the beach - even had a beach boy down there to put your chair exactly where you wanted it and place your umbrella too! How many ways can I say awesome service? Try this place - you'll love it.

5 Thank sandrayoung
Edmonton
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We arrived early in the morning on February 28 around 3:40am. No problems with check in. We were on the 7th floor in the main tower. Awesome oceanview. Bellboy was great. He told us we could go to the restaurant and get some drinks if we wanted to. So we started our vacation off with a couple of cervezas. Checked out the beach and then headed back to the room to sleep for a couple of hours. The staff was fanastic. Our room was always clean. The maids do a fanastic job even when you bring up sand in your bathing suit. The food was good at the buffets. There is something there for even the picky eaters. The beach was awesome. The water was clean. The service on the beach was fanastic. Irving was our favourite. He always made sure our drinks were full. The food at the beach bar was good. The adult pool was great. We ate at the gourmet restaurant twice and it was fanastic. Dont forget to tip!!! They deserve it cause they give you fanastic service. We also had one dinner at the Le Leiche Restaurant just at the end of the resort (it was included in our package) You dont want to miss that dinner. It was very good. Two of us had the shrimp dinner and it was so good. My other friend she had the pork and it just melted in your mouth. The bartenders were awesome. The drinks were very good. I loved the paralyzers, miami vice, pina colada's and the cervezas. They had a beach night where you would eat out on the beach and the night entertainment was out there too. It was a great night and very good food. They bbq ribs, sausage and steak for you. They had a fresh pasta bar also. So much food. It was a great night. Friday night before we left it was Mexician Night. They put on a good spread of food that night too. We missed the show that night. I loved this hotel. I cant say anything bad about it. The staff, the location and price was excellent. You can go wrong staying here. You are only a 10 min bus ride to downtown or a 45 min walk. You are 10 min walk to the marina and walmart. The only thing this hotel doesnt have is the night life. We danced every night while we were there. We had fun. The music shuts down at midnight so no more dancing but that was ok. It was long days anyways. It was a great stay at the Hola and I totally would go back next year. We went on 3 tours through Vallarta Discovery. Would not recommend the Rhino Jungle Tour. It was not worth it. We did not do what they adverstised. The Canopy Tour and the Sol Vallarta Tour was good. Make sure you go to the island that has the waterfall. We decided to stay on the beach instead and regreted it.
I could go on and on about about everything so if you have any questions regarding the hotel or anything just ask.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lori_in_edmonton
London, Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We selected the Hola Hotel based on the reviews we read on Trip Advisor. For the most part this hotel lived up to the positive reviews that were provided.

Check-in was painless. We arrived mid-afternoon and the entire check-in process took less than 10 minutes. Our room was ready and the bellhop helped us bring our luggage to the room.

Room was as expected - Superior Room - 2 double beds - 3rd floor with a view of the ocean and pool. It was clean and a good size. We considered changing to a room in the "high tower" and even inquired the next day (to which we were told come back tomorrow) but it grew on us so we didn't bother. We had an excellent view of the cruise ships that came and went on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

There are two pools at this resort along with a heated whirlpool. We liked the fact that the pool was so close to the beach so you could switch back and forth depending on what you felt like on a given day. The pool area was busy but we never had a problem getting a pair of lounge chairs and didn't have to resort to reserving lounges at 7am in the morning (although some people did this daily) The poolside beverage service was excellent. The various servers worked hard to keep your glasses full and always had a smile on their face when they walked around.

My wife would tell you the massage at the massage hut on the beach was amazing and every man should treat their spouse to at least one during their stay.

Regarding the food, there are two buffet restaurants - one indoors and one on the roof of the indoor restaurant. We had breakfast most days on the rooftop restaurant. Again, service was excellent - my favourite was the one server who would always greet us with "Coffee - double, double?" As we had read if you want bacon you have to ask for it - when you do ask you receive an ample supply. The selection of breakfast foods was decent; however, rarely varied from day to day. We rarely ate lunch but when we did we ate in the indoor buffet restaurant. We found the beach side restaurant where they serve snacks most of the day was not real good (but that might have been personal choice) For dinner again we normally ate at the rooftop buffet when there was a specialty dinner being offered - beach party the one night and Mexican Fiesta another. Again, the buffet for dinner had decent choice but rarely changed. As far as ala carte restaurant - not an easy process to get a reservation - they would tell you to arrive at 9am but by 9am it was full. We did have an opportunity to eat at LeLeche - this is a restaurant owned by the owners of Hola and is located next door. Do yourself a favour and take advantage of a dinner here (if offered) - the food is excellent and so is the wine.

All in all we found this hotel to be good value for the money. We were not expecting high quality food but would admit it was good but it got boring after 7 days.

The service here is excellent and it helped make our first trip to Puerto Vallarta a memorable experience.

Couple of tips regarding attractions

Bullfights are very gruesome and not for the feint of heart.

Rhythms of the Night - we found this to be an expensive buffet dinner - boat ride at night did provide the opportunity to see the lights of Puerto Vallarta at night - show was ok - a level above resort entertainment but only one level. After a week of buffet dinners we just didn't need one more.

Cheeky Monkey - $1 Coronas and $1 Margritas - all day everyday - gotta love it!

Chata Restaurant - we experienced a live Mexican mariachi band and it was just excellent.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and the Hola Hotel was a big reason for this.

3 Thank mrisi09
Cornwall, Ontario
Reviewed March 2, 2009

We spent two weeks at the Hola and really enjoyed it. The service was excellent. The rooms were older but we stayed on the 12th floor and the view was amazing. We dined twice at La Leche and both times, our meals were excellent. Our dinner at the gourmet restaurant was also really good (unfortunately it is only open two nights a week - we hope they will improve on that). The lunches by the beach were great with a pretty good variety. Didn't eat much at the inside buffets - downtown is only a 10 minute bus ride away so we ate downtown often - many options for cheap drinks and great dinners.
We really enjoyed the music and waiter service around the pool and the pools were actually warm. The beach was also very nice - lots of chairs and waiter service!!!! Many vendors but they are very nice and do not bother you until you start looking at their goods.

If you are expecting a luxurious resort, this place is not for you. It is a modest, friendly place conveniently located close to downtown and to the marina, close to malls and walking distance to just about anything you need. Not much night life here but you can get that downtown (lots of choice). If anything, the Hola lacked a band in the lobby - even just a few nights a week would be nice for dancing.

All in all, we loved it enough to go back. A big thank you to the staff (and the Owner and General Manager who we had the pleasure of meeting) for making our stay very special.

3 Thank Pushen50
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed March 2, 2009

We travelled with My 1 year old daughter and were extremely happy at how kids friendly this hotel was. We also travel with a group of 8 (ages 25-39) and everyone had a great time.
Rooms need some updating specially by the pool but overall asked to change rooms to the main tower and staff was extremely accommodating to our request. Would certainly return with all our friends!
Close to town and yet far away. The beach and Spa service were a bonus, also extremely great prices for massages.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family