“What a great trip!!”

Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Ontario
“What a great trip!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2009

We just got back from Hola. What a great trip!!!!!
Initially I was a little leary about our choice in resort. You hear about all these wild and weird stories about food and people getting sick etc. But , we were pleasantly surprised.
I did not realize that it was Mexican owned till I got there. I think so far we have not been in a mexican owned facility but I was very impressed.
I would like to thank Alex, Poncho and Edwardo from front desk/ customer serv ice for being so great helping us get settled in and all the advise about places to see and dine.
In the main dining room, Gustavao, Antelmo, Jose, Brad Pitt (Beeta), Arcadia, and many more that I don't have names, are only too eager to help service you and make you stay not only a pleasant one but an excellent and memorable one. We got to know these guys so well, it was sooooo sad to leave. Big hugs on our last day.
Marina, the morning chef is so sweet, trying her hardest to understand how you'd like your eggs! mind you she made my eggs just the way I like it by the second day!!!!! What a lovely lady.
Service at the beach was overwhelming. You were constantly offered drinks or asked for any special orders. I have been to many resorts but never have we had such excellent service at the beach, they even brought us a nice, cold face cloth mid morning and mid afternoon!! Snacks were brought around too! Can you imagine drinks/snacks/cold cloths, it's like heaven! what else could one ask for?????
With all the excellent customer service, never once did we feel pressured or even the slight feeling of having to tip them, which made us want to even more.
They are such hard working and pleasing people and happy.
Food selection was up to par, I think, not as extensive as some of the other resort,s we've been to, but plenty enough. There was always a choice in meats, pork, beef, chicken, fish, vegetables, potatoes/rice/breads, deserts. And off course there was always some very authentic mexican dishes, which we found absolutely delicious!
Rooms are not A-1 but adequate. We found it okay, after all we were mostly out anyways.
Tours: we did the whale watching all day tour with Jeranamo, it was fantastic! once again the crew was very obliging and fun, food/drinks/entertainment. We saw alot of whales, one baby whale came up right beside our boat. It was exhilariting!!!
Zip Lining thru the trees at Sierre Madres Mountains with Canapy Tours was out of this world!!! I'm afraid of heights and I'm not very adventurous with the outdoors but this was quite something for me to remember till I die!!! our guides, Artruro, Jack (Alex) and I forget the third guy's name were great. Very professional but fun and entertaining. This certainly is a must for anyone/everyone that visits Mexico and if you get get these guys as your tour guide that's a plus!!!
Couple advises for the hotel would be ..... get some proper dinner knives that cut !! and it would be nice to have an exhaust in the bathrooms! Other than that I think it's heaven, sun, fun, some pampering, great food and people.
Oh! beware of the sharks at the airport, and downtown. Time share sharks, they are everywhere. When you get off the plane go straight to the outside if you don't want to have to deal with these people. I was forewarned and I still got caught innocently. I thought she was part of Hola, she was behind a desk, kinda like checking in at t hotel or airport, turns out she is a Time Share Rep, mind you we did end up with a great deal on our tours, but we would have much rather paid in full and done without the 3plus hours of listening to them. And boy are they ever pushy!!!

4 Thank Bugdarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Stayed at Hola Feb 1-8 2009. We have traveled extensively to mostly 5 star beach properties in Mexico for years and we have a new favorite, Puerto Vallarta. We were in PV for 6 hours from a cruise ship in 1994, and have things ever changed. Hola check in was very fast (5PM arrival), large nice ocean view superior room on 8th floor. The Super bowl was on so a large number of people were in the lobby watching the game on a large projector screen. Lots of great snacks and drinks, a great party going on.
After the game was over we went to dinner and we were very disappointed with the food. We knew this was not a 5 star but the first night food was not great. We are not picky eaters. We only had dinner at the Hola 2 other times and the food was better than that first night but it was not four star quality. Someone needs to show the cooks how to slice beef against the grain. They cut it with the grain so it is very chewy. Everybody complained about this. Breakfast and lunch was great and we had most of them at Hola.
The big deal at Hola is that the staff are the best, friendliest and helpful we have ever encountered. The owner was frequently present in the lobby (mornings) and asks how the vacation is going and is there anything he can do to help. The rooms are spotless and thoroughly cleaned and mopped every day. We left 20 pesos on the pillow every day and got fabulous service.
The restaurant staff were all fabulous and were high fiving and hugging guests frequently. They did not have bacon on display at the breakfast buffet but you could ask for a plate and one would show up in a few minutes.
The alcohol drinks were good but the spirits were watered down more than we have ever encountered. You just have to order more drinks. None of the bottles at the bar were unopened.
The Hola location on the beach was perfect, water was excellent and the two pools were excellently maintained.
Do not miss the beach party on Wednesday nights. It’s fun, fast and delightfully amateurish. We were allowed to go to the Le Leiche restaurant next door for dinner which I hear was very good but we ran out of time and did not go. The Gourmet restaurant in the Hola is only open 2 nights a week (Why?) and I hear was better than the buffet food.
We went on a zip line tour and a whale watching/snorkeling tour. Both were excellent, the whale watching was the best I have ever seen (6 week old humpback being taught by mother how to breach) and snorkeling was better than I thought it would be, water was warm enough for us to be in the water for 1-1/2 hours without a shortie wetsuit.
For the money I would definitely recommend the Hola and Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank skiboyblue
Mississauga
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Having travelled to Puerto Vallarta extensively for many years I thought I would provide my feed back on the Hola Vallarta.

While in Puerto Vallarta, I have only ever stayed at the Fiesta American next door (not all inclusvie) to the Hola Vallarta....(formerly The Qualton).

This was a trip for the ladies this time so chose Hola Vallarta. The location of this hotel is one of the best in this entire area. You are minutes from town by local bus or taxi.
This hotel is not a 4 star hotel, however with a little money & thought it certainly could be as it is completely staffed with 5 star personnel. I have travelled throughout Mexico and the Carribean and always stay 5 star....the staff at the Hola are 5 STAR. They now have a lovely infinity pool that makes such a difference in this hotel...nice touch.

The hotel is dated, however they do their best and are in the midst of renovations...up to the 3rd floor at the moment. There is not a lot of activites as in most all inclusvie hotels but you don't need this in Puerto Vallarta as there is so much to see and do along the Malacon in town as well as the "Romantic Zone" or Old Vallarta. You will find the best of the best restaurants in Puerto Vallarta so make sure you venture out and enjoy them.

The Hold Vallarta has the Ala Carte restaurant in the Hotel as well as Le Leche which is just next door...at the end of driveway into the Fiesta Americana....Excellent! Excellent and you are entitled to one night at Le Leche'.

The Hola needs some tender love and care in simple ways that could make such a difference. They require new toasters at breakfast, the inside and outside bar area are in major need of repairs. As well, the bar staff must be educated that when serving wine it should be served in a wine glass of some kind...not water goblets. Not big issues but would make such a difference.

Having said that, this hotel provides very good food, wonderful, friendsly service...some of the best, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone - but keep in mind, if you want a 5 star facility - this is not it...however the people are so wonderful, you are given 5 star treatment from Poncho the Concierge right down to all of the restaurant staff - on and off the beach - the best!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank MississaugaHens
N/A
Reviewed February 14, 2009

We came to PV in jan-feb 2009. We came for our 25th wedding anniversery to re-new our vows on the beach. We brought our three kids and family. A total of 21 people.

The people there are the best ever, All happy and friendly.

When we first arrived we met one of our favorite waiter's "francisco". He was so nice and funny. He remembered our names and always greeted us with a big smile and high five. They would alwyas pull out our chairs and do something to make you feel special will you are there. Francisco said when we come back he would like us to come to his house and he would bbq for us. We might even take him up on his offer. If you ever come to Washington State look us up.

Our other favorite waiter was " Sergio". So funny and nice. Always made us feel comfortable. They both made us feel like a part of the family. we miss them already. you truley feel like you are part of one big family.

When we arrived we noticed our room was kind of small. My husband asked Laura Aguiree if there was anything that they could do since we were there for our 25th anniversery. Laura changed our room and since we had our 16 year old son in our room too she changed it to a corner room with a wrap around balcony, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. She also had our room decorated daily with swans, and hearts and flower pedals. We also recieved a bottle of champagine and fruit. She wanted it to be very romantic for us. She was super nice and we really appriciate her extra touches.

The hotel is older, but very clean.

I loved the beach and pool, they had daily activities.
Our favorite entertainer was "Sol". Her smile lights up a room and she interacts with all the guests. She also has a beautiful singing voice.

They make the best pico de gallo, it is made fresh everyday and hand cut. I had to have it for lunch everyday. I am having withdrawels now that I am home.

The weather was perfect it was in the 80's with a slight breeze everyday. The sunsets are breath taking

We will definatly be visiting again. We decided we need to make this a yearly thing.

While there venture out, take the bus with the locals and walk the malacon/boardwalk. Shop in all there shops too.
I would suggest the animal zoo. Not a item they advertise, but worth it. It is not like any other zoo.

We had a perfect spot on the beach to re-new our vows. it was under a cobanna and the sunset was beautiful.

see ya next year.

Rick and Sindy

• Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SILLY4
Edmonton
Reviewed February 13, 2009

Everything about this hotel was wonderful. My sister and I flew to PV and stayed at the Hola. We enjoyed everything about this place.
The staff worked so hard to make everyone feel at home.
I have to say that Poncho our front desk guest services person was absolutely a gem and I hope he is at the hotel for a very long time as he is an asset.
Francisco and the other guys and girls in the resturaunts were terrific... And I won't forget them any time soon.
The waiters even came to the beach and got our drink orders and always made sure our glasses were never empty. They also did a great job at remembering what drinks we wanted.
Also I have to say that Abraham worked on the beach. He was only too happy to get the chairs that people wanted to where they wanted them.
I don't have a bad thing to say about this hotel. This hotel is rated as a 4 star but it should be rated as a 5 star.
I also have to mention that while my sister were next door at "La Leche" resturaunt we met the General Manager of the Hola. He was working in the kitchen (his son owns the resturaunt) and came out and introduced himself to us. His name is Nacho Cadena. Like I said he is a very pleasant man as well. I was very impressed that he took the time to talk to all the customers in the resturaunt.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank donnabEdmonton
Wetaskiwin
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Just got back from the Hola on Feb 7, 2009 After reading the reviews we are really glad that we chose to stay here. The checking in was slow but we did arrive at 5 am only one person at the desk. The rooms were very clean and large. Beds were just fine (firm) we all slept fine and they were clean. They are in the process of updating the rooms and should be finished soon. Please be patient. The food was excellent lots of variety and the burgers were a hit with our family. Service great, wonderful, very efficient etc. etc. etc. did not matter where you were, dining, beach, pool, lobby. The gourmet dining room only open 2 days of the week must book early am on those days. Very good food. The oceanside buffet was great and good entertainment. Lots of great servers can't mention all of their names. We met some people who have been coming to the same resort for years. Always a good sign. We will go back and recommend to friends.

1 Thank doublerc
Calgary
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Upon arrival, I was a bit sceptical of the Hola being a 5 star hotel. The building is old and the rooms are basic (small double beds - plain bedding- very firm mattresses), generally just a little rough in presentation. However what the Hola lacks upon first impression it makes up for in SPECTACULAR SERVICE!!!! Everyone that we dealt with at the hotel were wonderful, friendly and helpful. The place was spotless. I doubt that I have stayed in a cleaner more well kept hotel. There were no roach or insect problems at all. The hotel as mentioned by another reviewer is close to the beach for easy access and after strolling other hotel beaches on this strip I think that the Hola is situated on the best beach area. The buffet style food was decent and offered plenty of choices for the diner. There also is a sensational group of activities staff. They are young and vibrant and are good at engaging the guests in many of the activities that the hotel offers throughout the day and in the evening.
My family and I loved our time at this hotel. We will definately return to this hotel when we return to PV

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — The firm small beds
    • Check in / front desk