“Favorite place!!!!”

Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort
Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Favorite place!!!!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I just returned from a beautiful 2 week holiday here and it was the best!! I have been to a few other resorts in Mexico(5 star) and I would always choose the friendly instead.

Food: the food is delicious and always a huge variety. Almost every day they make something pool/beach side that is so good. I absolutely love the dinner shows on the beach!

The entertainment staff make sure everyone has a great time. I took full advantage of the activities, aquacise, bracelet making, blackjack and even Texas Holdem tourney on the beach. This group of people work very hard to make your vacation extra special!

I love all the staff at this resort it is my third time and I will be back again next year!

Thank you so much! I miss you all already!!

Jackie Stevenson :)

• Stayed February 2014
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Jaxson76:

Was really nice to read everything you've described in your experience, no doubt this will be very helpful for our future guests. We miss you so much and we would love to see you again soon, good to know you enjoyed your stay! Please keep in touch :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Vancouver
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I am writing this as a person who has stayed in this resort for probably 3 or 4 times and returning again tomorrow.

I am doing it because of the numerous less than average reviews by others.

I, too have travelled extensively in Mexico and I am happy here.

The staff is friendly, the food more than edible (unless you are extremely picky), the room is older but clean and the beach is close.

I come to Mexico for some sun and food and this place answers my need. Where else can you go for what you pay for this place and be better?

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the lesser the noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank shanni_shani
Dear shanni_shani:

Thank you so much for all your comments, we loved reading everything you wrote about your experience. For us is how to re-live those moments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your vacation, finally that's one of the things that we want for all our guests. Please feel free to visit us anytime, thank you again for taking time to tell about your experience, we will see you soon! :)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Friendly Vallarta hotel, had a good time. The hotel and staff exceeded our expectations. We've been to PV many times and are familiar with what similar hotels offer and found that Friendly provides many of the little extras seen in higher end hotels - cool towels at pool and beach, heated swimming pools, adult infinity pool, 4 restaurants (including unlimited a la carte), beach dining, lobby and beach entertainment, etc.

Rooms are a bit dated but spacious and clean and food quality and choice were good. The only negative I have is that although the restaurant staff were very friendly once they noticed you were there they were not as attentive as you'd expect in noticing your arrival and initial service slow.

1 Thank 977susans977
Dear 977susans977:

Thank you for choosing our hotel to enjoy of your holiday. We loved to read about your experience with us, thank you for your suggestions, please feel free to come back anytime! See you soon :)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

As with my past trips I went with a large group. We went the last week of January, first week of February.

First thing to mention is that is is NOT a Barcelo or a RUI so don't expect that level of a resort. That being said, The Friendly would be in my top three favorites.

The rooms are dated, but clean. Some had the usual Mexican musty smell but we have had that in one of the more expensive resorts too. This is what happens with an ocean front resort. Our housekeeper was an older lady who couldn't do any towel art but always had a smile and a wave each time she saw us. Some of our friends did get towel art.

The food wasn't bad. You could always find something. The chefs tried hard to please everyone. At the 24hr station, the chef dared us to ask for something he could not make. He even made an egg salad sandwich one night. We did discover that if you asked nice (and tipped the chef for his trouble), you could get shrimp or chicken fingers for lunch. The waiters always made you feel special. Telling bad jokes and the standard line "Something else?" always made us smile. We even got to meet Double Doubles son, Single Single. Really - that's their names.

The pool was great - a heated one. The infinity pool was nice. No kids and very relaxing. They also had two real hot tubs - with hot water and jets. Perfect after a day of shopping. We spent one day on the beach. Tons of loungers and if you needed a chair, table or an umbrella you only had to ask and they would find you one. A lot of beach vendors but that's part of the experience.

Entertainment staff were the best!!! In all my trips, this was the best group. My favorites were the three P's - Paulina, Pamela and Poncho, (Senior Delicious) But the rest were just as hard working. Gustavo, Edgar, Unel, Karina and Rosy. Once they knew which activities I was interested in they made sure to let me know when it was starting so I didn't miss it. How many other resorts can you go to and make your own bracelet, or learn how to make guacamole and melon flowers?? Plus after a long day in the sun with the guests, they still have the energy to put on a show for the guests. These 8 people made my holiday a happy one and are the reason I would go back to this resort.

The pre-recorded music they played around the pool and in the lobby was awful. Way too mellow. The odd time they would play one or two good songs but then go back to the "relaxing" music. They did have a dance area but nothing to dance too. It was so bad that people didn't socialize in the evenings, they would just go to bed. I know the owners read these comments - Change the music please. People like to dance and have a good time. Also turn it down a bit. Way too loud. At times it was hard to have a conversation without yelling. I noticed at aerobics the poor girl had to yell the instructions and we still couldn't hear her.

All in all this is pretty decent resort for the price. I can see why people return year after year. They make you feel like family.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank I_hate_the_cold
Dear I_hate_the_cold:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you made good friends with our staff. We also appreciate your suggestions for music, and we have reporting this. Please do not hesitate to ask for some kind of special music on your next visit, we are here to satisfy you and to make your holiday a great experience :)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Just got back from 5 nights at Friendly Vallarta. I went with an old friend and we have been going to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico for several years so know what to compare it to in this price range. At first we were not to thrilled about the room or the food but the whole place grew on me as the days passed. Would I go there again? Yes. Here is a summary of the pro's and con's.
The resort: Is indeed on the smaller and older side. The workers are all really really happy and friendly and seem genuinely happy to serve you and happy to work there. Check in was fast and smooth. They are pretty "green" in that do not use a lot of plastic cups, plates or bottles. They went to a lot of trouble to entertain us at the pool during the day with the activity staff who was always doing something like yoga, volleyball, bingo, games, bracelet making, poker, kayak tours and much much more. A few evenings they set up elaborate beach parties with tables on the beach and buffets and entertainment. Tons of waiters to bring drinks or whatever you were to lazy to get up and get yourself.

Our room: Was in one of the side wings that has not been updated. We were on the second floor. The room was a bit musty smelling and very very basic. However it was clean and quite! We peeked in at some of the updated rooms and they appeared also very basic. The best thing about the room is that everyone has a balcony with chairs and a table and when we were in our room which was not much we sat outside with an amazing view of the ocean, pool, beach and even could watch the shows held on the beach from there. If you are a pillow snob like me.. bring your own. We got toppers on beds and they were fine.

The beach: The best thing about this resort compared to some others we have stayed at is they have waiters to bring you food and drinks on the beach. The food is on normal glass plates and we never had to wait long (if at all) for a waiter to come around to check on us and take our order for as much food, water, drinks as our little fat hearts desired! The beach itself was good, the water was a bit foamy and dirty I thought but I think that is just PV. The peddlers are the same at all resorts and again.. that is just how it is in PV.

The food: We always found something that was good. However we found things that were not soo good as well. The fresh fruit was really good and salad bar was good. The club sandwiches served on the beach were great! The breakfast outside on the beach was great with make to order omelets and much more. We didn't like what we ordered at the gourmet restaurant but maybe it was just what we had as others we spoke with said they loved it. They always had some cool food at the pool everyday which was super good. Once a lovely shrimp cocktail the chef's made right in front of you with tons of fresh veggies. Once churros which were delish! And they usually had fresh fish cooked on the beach during the day. They tried super hard to have a ton of verity and choices and lots going on.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank akhunter907
Dear akhunter907:

Thank you very much for visiting us and thank you also for mentioning the positive and negative aspects of our hotel, this will help us to evaluate the improvements to do. We certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed the most of your stay and that you will come back soon, we will be happy to see you again :)
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 5, 2014

First of all , to all you reviewers out there.. this is MEXICO. I have stayed many places and you get what you pay for . We were 100% happy with Friendly! The place was clean, we had plenty to eat and we don't worry about music on the beach or having to walk from one bar to another to get food. Really?
Our room was clean- is it old, yes, but it was clean. Sometimes I think people just look for negatives.. there may have been a stain on the curtain but I certainly don't go looking for one. We had a quick check in and went to eat.. all basic but it was included and I was for sure not going to starve. And for all you picky eaters- yes there are hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries. The bartenders were generous with the liquor and we had quick service when we were on the beach. The pools were nice and the infinity pool was warm.. the hot tubs were also at a perfect temp.
We went to a few shows and they were good .. they have the same few folks performing and they have a ton of routines to know so I give them credit for effort. The mexican fiesta was good and we enjoyed the dancing horse even if I thought the horse was not too happy with the big guy riding him. Smile.
Wi-fi worked great in the lobby so connecting was not a problem. We did not even try in our room.. we wanted to be outside as much as we could. People complained that we had old time keys and not card keys.. really? WHO cares.. you have a lock.
There were plenty of seats on the beach even with folks putting towels down at 7:00 am. There were activities offered and I was happy they did not shove them down our throat because I was there to RELAX. Yes, older crowd so if you want a party I'm happy to tell you to go somewhere else. I like the quiet.
Everyone we spoke to loved this place and the people so I'm in shock with everyone complaining on trip advisor. We never encountered a mean person and to the guy that sat us ever morning for breakfast- I love your "okey dokey."
We had a GREAT four day vacation, it was clean, quiet and had plenty of sun.. and above all, the price was right!

3 Thank voltech2
Dear voltech2:

Thank you very much for your visit and especially for your honest review, we are so glad we found comments like yours are truly sincere. This will help many of our future guests. Thanks for highlighting all the positive aspects of your stay, please come back as soon as possible :)
Montreal
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We where there for the 2 last week of february, first of all, yes the staff is friendly nut nothing more. We where in the past in Acapulco, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel, Cuba and dominican republic, so we are able to make a fair and equitable comment.

First of all, yes the staff is friendly very friendly, there are incredible. But to made a good hotel you need more of friendly staff.

Let me start whit the room, it's an old hotel, and the room need improvments, there is mold on the room despite the cleanliness, plumbing must be change, they put electrical tape on the plombing pipes and the water temperature of the shower quickly switch from hot to cold at any time of day or night.

Entertainment staff ,the animation team, have not seen the day they do not come to see you on the beach for you make to participate in the activities. Activities are listed in a table when entering the beach and that's it. No music on the beach during the day. If I was the owner of the hotel i will completely change the annimation team or remove them. Those who return year after year are probably people who never travel elsewhere or are just happy with the interest of the staff, they are mostly aged 65 and over.

The food, oh my good the worst buffet I have seen in my life, all night is the same food, no choice, we eat better in cuba ! The rib was chuky eurk

So it was the fisrt time at this hotel and the last one, if i go back to Puerto Vallarta, i will look for an other place.

1 Thank Benito37
Dear Benito37:

Thank you very much for visiting us. We have made many renovations in the last 3 years, we are still making them and even in restaurants, lobby, beach area, rooms, corridors, meeting rooms, beach club for children, Internet, among other things. We offer different dishes daily on the buffet, however always be a challenge to satisfy all our guests, some people love our food and others not at all. Our entertainment team makes every day different activities throughout the hotel, and they depend on each hour, guests are sunbathing do not bother, because many of them are sometimes reading or listening to your own music on headphones. It's true, many retired people visit us and gladly received, like all our young guests. Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your advice :)