“Good Things/Bad things” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
High Level, Alberta, Canada
“Good Things/Bad things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Me and my husband went here last April. It was both of our first times leaving Canada. We really enjoyed the beach life however the beach isn't the best in PV. The staff at the resort were great. Also trying to help when you need it. Sergio was the best. You cant miss him as he also says "double double" whenever you have a drink in your hand or when ordering from him. He always made us laugh and would do funny dances. The food was ok but eventually got tiered of buffet as there is only one a la carte restaurant. The best buffet is the one indoors with the view of the pool. Do not leave your towels on the beach here to save ur chairs. We had someone else take ours and replace it with a stained one. When we explained to the hotel what had happened we demanded we did not pay for them as we were never informed we would have 2 pay for them if they were damaged. The hotel complied and we were never charged ($100 a towel!!). There where a few problems with the room. The safe did not work when we arrived but they came up and fixed the problem immediately. As well the toilet would get clogged alot but they were always fast to fix it. Overall staff A+, food B-, rooms B-. You get what u pay for but the staff made all the difference to make up for it being a older resort. Another good thing was that the resort was not so huge that u get lost. We prefer more intimate settings.

Room Tip: Great view from 7th floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Autumn S
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi Autumn S.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience here on our TripAdvisor, we are pleased to read everything you say about your experience, all your suggestions will help us to have a better place! We are delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable, please come back soon we will be here waiting for you :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our stay and we had a great time. I know a lot of the reviews mention how great the staff are, and it truly cannot be overstated. By the third day we had waiters that would actively seek us out and offer us drinks, and by the last day most of them knew our names and would sit and talk to us. We speak very broken Spanish, but almost everyone there spoke perfect English and were more than willing to try to teach us Spanish. The hotel itself was very pretty, we stayed on the 12th floor and the view was spectacular. The only downside was the bed, which we will not miss at all. The food was decent, though I would recommend going to the nicer restaurant at least once during your stay. Overall our stay was wonderful and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ollie K
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hi Ollie K.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we are very pleased to know that everything was perfect during your stay. We are so glad to hear that you were treated like you deserve and you enjoyed every detail in our hotel. Come back soon! :)
Toronto, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We checked in and went to our room which was very nice and had a great view of the bay. the bathroom could have done with some minor upgrades such as caulking but other than that the room and bathroom were large and spotlessly clean. About an hour after we booked in we received a phone call letting me know that I had left my IPad at the reception area ! The manager of the hotel personally brought it to my room.

Staff at the front desk were a little indifferent but all the other staff we met, especially all the waiters, were exceptional. They provided exceptional service, always with a smile.

Food was great and the Al a Carte restaurant was lovely.

Downside for us was the lack of a bar area. The main bar was open in the lobby of the hotel and some of the clientele acted like they had never seen a drink before yet looked like they had drank plenty.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have a view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Turner53.

Thank you for everything you say about us and share some of your experience with us. We hope to see you soon to serve you in whatever you need, see you soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This place is by far the most friendly of all Mexican destinations! The staff is 5 star, and speak perfect english. The food is great, first time I have ever been to Mexico and I didn't have tummy issues. The people that complain about this resort should have their heads examined. Or better yet don't come here, leave it all for us easy going fun loving people. The staff truly appear to love working here, and welcome you into their lives and treat you like family. They invited us to goto a soccer game against another resort. Never have we had such a connection with staff. Thank you Friendly Hola. We will be back in the not to distant future. Hopefully we will get to meet Veicente's new baby girl!!
To all you complainers....stay home!

1 Thank Sabritios
Hi Sabritios.

Thank you so much for your review, we feel really flattered. All your words are a great reward to us. We hope to see you soon! :)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

As a a woman travelling alone and for my first time in PV, I thouroughly enjoyed my experience at the Friendly Vallarta. Stayed there from April 8th to 20th.
Pros:
-- location, location, location! You can walk to shopping malls or take the bus to Centro or just about anywhere. You are right on the ocean and you can walk for miles along the beach. I even saw whales playing right from my balcony. How cool is that???!!
--the staff are very accommodating and friendly. All very hard working!
-- the food is fresh and tasty although not that varied however, for all the time I was there, I didn't get a chance to try everything.The gourmet restaurant was delicious. I really appreciated that they always had something going on around the pool, ie, fresh fruit with lime juice and salt( to die for!), salsas,, desserts, cold towels, just a special touch, I thought. Thereis always coffee and treats available as well as ice cream in the afternoons--yum, yum!
--very clean although the furniture is date
--i had a room in the tower on the 9 th floor which was very quiet and had ocean view.
--lovely spa facilities
-- good shows every night. I really enjoyed the choice of music which contrary to some other resorts I've been to, wasn't so loud that you can't hear yourself think.
-- everyone is made welcomed and there are no exclusive areas which I liked but you may not

Cons:
-- the thing that bothered me the most was the amount of constant vendors on the beach bugging you as you settle in to your loungers to sunbathe. You kind of get used to them but I felt really bad having to ignore them as I feel I am ignoring someone's humanity. I was interested in some of their wares but would not dar e ask for fear of having to negociate a price. There are ropes to indicate where they cannot go, but you still see them and hear them. I would therefore try to pick a spot as far away from them as possible. And, as you come in to the hotel, there are timeshare guys, which to me, are far worse than the vendors because they try to rip you off and have nothing to show whereas the vendors carry all of their wares with them and put in really long tiring physical work.
-- dated
-- no clock radio, water or coffee makers in room. You can request them however
-- the second week I was there, many locals with large families so very busy in the restaurants and at the pool. You might not appreciate being surrounded by so many spanish speaking families but I certainly did because I want to learn spanish and I wanted to get a feel for the culture
--the employees speak little english but I rather enjoyed that. You may not

I really enjoyed the staff who did everything to help me. One of the waiters even recommended a cream for some of my bug bites. I felt really safe and will probablby visit again just to see some of the staff
So depending on your tastes, you would choose this resort if you want a relaxing, family, culturally oriented vacation.

2 Thank pgenevieve
Hi pgenevieve.

Thank you very much for your review! We feel flattered for everything you say and we are very happy to know that all was fine during your stay. We would love to see you again, please keep in touch :)
calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We have had the luxury of staying at this fine resort 6 times now. We have had minor issues that have always been addressed. The hotel is owned and managed by a renowned chef and the food is top notch. The menu can always be to your liking as you have the option in picking what you eat each day. Yes, the resort is older however there are constant improvements being made. The staff is second to none and we are always made to feel like family while are there. And by the way, the servers all speak english, maybe no perfect however you will get what you ask for and or someone will understand what it is you want.
So if you are the type of person who will complain about anything no matter what, do us all a favor and stay elsewnere. They serve Pepsi not Coke, get over it. The rooms have no fridge, get over it. You are not paying for a luxury 5 star resort here. But let me say this, the food is always 5 star as is the service.
Those of you who complain that there are too many Mexicans staying there, hello you are in Mexico and Mexicans have just as much right to stay there as Canadians, Americans or whomever. Those of you who find cause to complain about something obviously have other issues that perhaps professional help might satisfy. Stop your constant whining about the service, rooms, servers, food or whatever else you feel the need to complain about or stay elsewhere. I am sure the staff at the Hotel Friendly Vallarta would much rather hear you compliment them on there great service than complain about trivial items. Grow up people and remember, you get what you pay for. And at the Hotel Friendly Vallarta you get service second to none. If you want 5 star luxury services then pay for them and do us all a favor and stay elsewhere. We would much rather not hear your trivial complaints that normally come from 5 year olds.

6 Thank James R
Hi jamesrolfe.

Thank you for choosing our hotel to enjoy of your holiday. We loved to read about your experience with us, please feel free to come back anytime! See you soon :)
calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed at the Friendly Vallarta From April 13 to 20. This was our sixth time at this resort.
We keep coming back for the wonderful staff and pleasant stay.

The resort is older but is kept very clean. It's also nice to see that every time we come back there always improvements being made. Over the last couple of years they have added a coffee bar in the lobby, added bathrooms near the beach so you don't have to walk so far to use the bathroom.

I enjoy the food at this resort. Yes, it's pretty much the same food on the buffet everyday, but you choose something different each day so it doesnt get repetitive. It's like going to Denny's. It's the same menu, but you can choose different items each day.

The staff are all very helpful and friendly. They will get you anything you need. The servers at the pool and beach always come around to serve you drinks, so you don't have to get up if you don't want to.

We don't participate in the entertainment much but there are activities throughout the day. The entertainment staff are organizing volleyball, kayaking, water aerobics etc. There is usually a show or activity every night for entertainment.

Request a room on a higher floor. It's quieter and you get a wonderful view of the bay. The rooms are basic but big and clean. There is no mini fridge or coffee maker but it's not a problem for us. We go to the lobby for a coffee.

I recommend this resort for couples, and families. It's not really geared for people who want to party.

One last thing. Get to know the staff! They are wonderful people and they work hard. After so many visits they become your friends

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sly165
Hi sly165.

Thank you very much for your valuable comments and for sharing this experience, it was a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hotel. We will be happy to welcome you back the day you choose. See you soon! :)