“Best vacation yet!”

Ranked #20 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Best vacation yet!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week stay (feb 2-9) at the Friendly Vallarta. We had the best time. From the moment that we checked in we knew that the hotel would live up to its name. The front desk staff was always fast and efficient and answered any and all our questions that we had.

We had requested a room with a king size bed and we had gotten 2 queen beds instead. My husband went to the front desk to see if our request could be accommodated and the front desk staff suggested that they could push the 2 beds together and place a foam pad over top to make it more comfortable. This turned out perfectly.

The rooms are pretty basic but clean and the view is out of this world. We stayed in room 3204 in the main tower and we had both the view over the pool area and the ocean and beach, AMAZING!

The food was delicious. There were always many options and different places to eat. The breakfast was great having the option of Mexican cuisine as well as eggs done any way you liked and pancakes and waffles. The coffee was great as well. The a la carte restaurant was very good as well. Wonderful service and a great steak. We never went hungry.

The pool area and beach area were always busy with people. What was most impressive was the serving staff around the pool and on the beach. They were friendly, attentive and made it a point to get to know you. I should also mention that the same serving staff that worked around the pool and on the beach were also the same servers that worked in the restaurants.

Abraham was wonderful setting up the beach chairs, umbrellas and tables starting at 5am every morning, and what a nice person.

I used the gym facilities daily which were a bit dated but had everything I needed. Treadmill, elliptical and free weights to name a few.

We met so many awesome people who have been going to the Friendly Vallarta for years. Brian and Merick, Rob and Marlene, Kyle and Theresa and Denny and Debbie.

This hotel lives up to its name over and over again. We will definately be returning.

One more thing if you want to book any tours anywhere ask for Juan on the beach. Great prices and extremely trustworthy. We used him to book "Rhythms of the night" which was terrific and rented a yacht for the day. Thanks Juan!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Brunettemamma
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi Brunettemamma!

We are pleased to know how much you enjoyed your holiday with us! Every detail we do is for our guests, to live an unforgettable holiday. We hope to see you soon :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Visited in jan. 18 for two weeks with couple of friends.!!
0 complains. Staff is awesome, they make you feel like you are in paradise. They have the best spot on the beach, sand and ocean is so clean and beautiful!!
Food is good, alcohol is good!! everything about this hotel is good, only positive memories!!
This is our second time in P.V. and im never looking for different hotel than FRIENDLY VALLARTA!! Super clean, super awesome. There are all kinds of people (young old ) every one gets along just fine. a lot of daily activities.
Keep it up guys.

p.s. i played soccer with you guys. i was the goalkeeper (if any one remembers) :)

Room Tip: use the Spa, check out all of their night entertainment (they do it for us) so dont be lazy , and go...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nazariy
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hi Nazariy!

Thank you! We love to read reviews like yours. Thank you so much for everything you say here on Tripadvisor, this will be really helpful for other. Come back soon! :)
Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed February 9, 2013

While the Friendly Vallarta may not be the fanciest hotel in Puerto Villarta, it certainly is lives up to its name, and that makes all the difference! The staff is always willing to go the extra mile to be helpful. The grounds are immaculate and the food was terrific. The beds are hard, but all you have to do is ask the staff for a foam mattress topper and the problem is solved. I had a very nice room with a balcony overlooking the bay, nice for watching the sunsets. While there are vendors on the beach, they are very respectful if you say, "No, gracias." There is also a dividing line they can't cross. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Insist on a room facing the ocean, away from the pool, which is noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BathshebanDavid
Hi BathshebanDavid!

Thanks for staying in our hotel, comments like yours make us feel very good!! We hope to see you soon this year :)
Calgary
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Friendly Vallarta really does live up to its name. It really is as friendly as everyone says it is.

Layout of Resort: there are 3 accommodation blocks around a central lobby. There is one all ages pool (with kiddie area), 1 adults-only pool and two jacuzzis. There are three restaurants: the beach restaurant (open for breakfast, snacks, and a la cart dinners), the rooftop restaurant (open for breakfast, and sometimes dinner), the gourmet restaurant (dinner only) and the main, buffet restaurant (almost always open). There are two bars: lobby bar (evenings only) and beach bar (opens at 10:00 am). The beach area is a reasonable size, about half of which is roped off to provide a "beach vendor reduced area".

Rooms: good sized, spacious, clean, basic. Our room was completely adequate, exactly as advertised and did us quite nicely. We had a basic room which does not contain fridge, beverage service, or other extras like iron, pillow menu, or the like. Our room was on the 7th floor and had an amazing view of the bay. Shampoo, soap, conditioner and two bottles of drinking water are provided. Drinking water is not replenished daily. I drank the tapwater and had no ill effect.

Drinks: perfectly fine. I never had any trouble getting loopy, and can never understand why reviewers complain about "watered down drinks". Is the bar tender taking it easy on you with your 10:00 am paralyzer? Probably. I for one, don't want to be blotto before noon. But if you do - just go get another one. Its all inclusive. Highly recommend the daily cocktails, the mango daquaris and the "black forest".

Food: again, perfectly fine. Not fancy, but good. Breakfasts are the best. Get the chef to cook you an egg and piece of grilled bread. Delish! Food was basic, tasty, and had more than enough variety to keep us interested all week. Favourites: the mexican buffet night (do not miss!) the beach barbeque (do not miss! The cheeses were amazing. The ribs were great!), and the club sandwiches in the beach/snack restaurant. We found the food here to be really good. Fresh, and well prepared.

Activities: just right. There's just enough activities going on to be interesting, not too much to be in your face. I took in some Spanish lessons, and seriously thought about kayaking, dancing lessons, and cooking lessons - but after a few 10:00 am paralyzers... motivations suffers. The activity centre had plenty of toys, games, and a book-swap too.

Entertainment: hit and miss. The circus night was stunning. Others, not so much my cup of tea. For a hotel of this size to put on entertainment was an unexpected bonus.

The crowd: almost exclusively Canadian, almost exclusively adults (very few kids) and during our visit we found that most folks were 40's, 50's, 60, and a few in their 70's.

Little extras: coffee/tea bar - seemed to be open 24 hours a day. I loved grabbing a hot chocolate at all hours, or a late night cup of tea. Banana trees: these grow around the property and you are welcome to help yourself. The view from the 7th floor. The roped off beach area.

Little minuses: the hotel can get a little noisy - especially when the entertainment is in the lobby or on the beach. These don't go too late into the evening - it wasn't a huge issue for us, it might be for some. This is a smaller hotel and there are no private or quiet nooks to escape to. There is always music, and there are always people about. If you're looking for seclusion and privacy, PV probably isn't the place for you.

For Canadians looking to escape winter for a week or two - this hotel has everything you need. Beach, pool, snacks, drinks - you're set. What really sets this hotel apart from any other is the level of caring and friendliness of the staff. The "Friendly Vallarta" is exactly that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank AnnaSuave
Hi AnnaSuave!

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday and also for sharing your experience, we are so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to visit us anytime :)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our second time at friendly and we plan on going every year! We have been at many other hotels in puerto Vallarta and have found this one to be one of the best. The service is the greatest . They have gone above and beyond. My husband had casually asked if our room had been cleaned one day (it had but I had gone to lye down and he didn't realize), next thing you know there are three staff knocking on the door to come and clean it. Sitting on the beach the waiters will bring you drinks and food to you.... Even when in the pool they will serve you. I have not felt so spoiled!! The food is great. Eggs anyway you want them, pancakes, waffles,French toast mmmmmmmm, the restaurant on the beach has pizza, hamburgers French fries, fajitas club sandwiches all excellent! You will not go hungry here. The only thing I could complain about is the pillows were hard but, if you get a sore neck you can always go for a massage. One thing I really liked was they made fresh donuts by the pool. Mmmmmm again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Louise D
Hi Louise D,

It is wonderful to know that everything was perfect during your stay, please come back soon we'll be waiting for you. Thanks for sharing your experience :)
Calgary
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a great one week stay at the Friendly Vallarta the first week of February, 2013. The staff are very friendly, as the name says.
The hotel was very full the week we were there. There were a lot of people in the pool all day long. Music is loud around the pool in the afternoon. We were in one of the rooms around the pool. I was concerned about the noise in the room, but it was not too bad when we closed the patio door.
Chairs on the beach in the shade are hard to come by unless you grabbed them first thing in the morning.
The hotel is in a good location for taking a bus to town.
Staff in the lobby were always helpful and informative. The rooms and hotel were quite clean.
Restaurants were well run, and we found the food to be good, not exeptional, but good.
The biggest problem we had was the slow wireless internet, and you had to be in the lobby to be able to access it.
The strong points: Friendly staff, good food, good location, price is right.
The weak points: Internet access and noisy pool area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SLDCalgary
Hi SLDCalgary!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the suggestions, we are improving our coverage of Internet throughout the hotel. We hope to see you soon :)
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The only thing I don't like about rating this hotel as excellent is that it is like a secret hide away to me that I fear too many people will want to go and I may not get booked in when I want to go!
The hotel deserves the rating it gets though, the STAFF is amazing, the breakfast servers never let you down from having great morning laughs, they are all awesome and I have become good friends with several of them. Start your day out with a full breakfast, eggs how you want them cooked, bacon, pancakes, waffles, all kinds of buffet foods, juices and of course, coffee and smiles from everyone!
Whether by the beach or the pool, the staff is there to look after you and make sure you are well taken care of. Drinks are served, food is served if you desire a snack or lunch on the beach and everyday something new is being made (make sure to try the fresh made donuts when they make them!). The ocean is so nice to go in and cool off in, and the infinity pool is such a nice place to stand having a drink and making conversation with others. The new washrooms on the beach are a great improvement and always kept clean. Abraham always is taking care of everyone like usual and is such a hard worker. He is out there at 5 am setting up the beach for us all to enjoy!
The entertainment team is always on the go. Although I don't participate in much, I do enjoy the beach shows at night! A lot of people do join in all the activities and there are plenty of them.
Dinners are always good and again the staff is amazing. I was pleasantly surprised to see Luis, who was the cook overnight in the restaurant, now a waiter and so happy to see him. We only went to the gourmet restaurant once this time during our stay and the meal was great. I like to do things at the spur of the moment so don't usually want to make a reservation to go there unless I am sure I will be around.
Although the pools do close a little earlier than I would like, I understand due to safety reasons why, plus they spend hours at night washing the area down and do it again in the morning. The hotel is always so clean and well taken care of.
We went on the Tuesday night to a staff soccer game which was a lot of fun and even got a chance to celebrate with the waiters after their win. Definitely a highlight of our trip was celebrating one of the waiters birthdays with them, the soccer game and super bowl at a local bar. We had so much fun and was great to see some of the staff out of their work atmosphere.
The rooms are clean and every day the maids do a great job cleaning. Make sure to leave a tip each day for them, as they are not always the same maids. We left a larger tip after we decided to go for a dip in the ocean one night after a few tequilas and unfortunately got a lot of sand in our clothes which ended up in our room! We cleaned up what we could but when we came back after our room was cleaned you would never have known it had even happened.
The waiters, bartenders etc all rely on tips as part of their wages. They do not make a lot of money as people may think, and are so very thankful for the tips they do get. I always start saving my $5 bills after my vacation towards my next one so that I have lots on hand when I get there. The hotel will also change your money to pesos and there is a cash machine there as well. I got a very good rate from my bank using the cash machine!
The only thing that is can be bad is the smell in the bathroom from the drain in the floor. I noticed this year they have plastic covers over them but occasionally the smell would still come through. It is definitely a sewer smell, and luckily we don't spend enough time in there for it to really bother us and I don't know any way they could fix this issue. It is in the tower rooms and it doesn't seem to matter what floor you are on. It certainly is not something that would make me stop going or to give the hotel a lower rating as it is something I know they have made an effort to rectify.
All the elevators were working fine this year, one was a little wacky last year and would either not work or put you to a random floor. It is nice to see that the hotel takes concerns seriously and does what they can to fix them as soon as they can.
The bartenders are the best and I love to joke around and have fun with them. Adrian, David and Ricardo are the best of the best and I always have fun trying different drinks!
I went with a co-worker again this year and she could see why I always return to this resort. She was crying saying goodbye to everyone when we had to leave, which in itself tells you how great this place is and the bonds you can make with the people working here.
I love the singer/dancing horse show that nolitours puts on for their guests. There are so many things about this resort that I could go on and on, but my rating should say it all. I cannot wait til my next visit and to see all my amigos again!! Thank you Friendly Vallarta for your awesome staff and first class service!!

Room Tip: I prefer the tower rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KarenC1744
Hi KarenC1744!

Thank you for everything you say about us and share some of your experience with us. We hope to see you soon to serve you in whatever you need, see you soon!