“Not bad for the money...”

Vamar Vallarta All Inclusive Marina and Beach Resort
Ranked #39 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I (early 30s) traveled here on a last minute vacation. We caught an AWESOME deal on Groupon 3nights $400 all-inclusive, so of course our expectations were low. But on arrival, the place is beautiful. The is completely open and you can see straight back to the pool and off into the marina, it was VERY nice. The room was bigger than I expected, it even had a full kitchen which we didn't use at all. The TV was a flat screen, the bathroom was nice, (no tub), and the balcony was a good size with a view of the pool and the marina. Overall the room was big enough and pleasantly decorated. What more would I ask for? Maybe a tub? I was overall satisfied with the room.

During our visit, the buffet on the marina was under repairs, so we ate at the sister/other property across the street which was right on the beach and was an awesome view of the ocean and the rest of the city. The food was pretty good to ok. I am very particular about having my food piping, burn-my-mouth hot when I get it and that was only the case about 40% fo the time at the buffet. But there were plenty of options and everything tasted good. The restaurant that you usually have to make reservations for had awesome food, so so good! No complaints on that side. What more would I ask for? Garaunteed hot food on the buffet all the time :) The other large complaint I would have is the drinks. My boyfriend and I declared a "tequila only" vacation and drank only shots of tequila while at the resort, and yet I never even got tipsy. On the other hand, every street you walk down will have a tequila store with free samples and within 3-5 minutes I was almost drunk. Something wasn't right about that :(

The location was pretty convenient. We were able to catch the bus downtown for $6 pesos (practically nothing) and there were always taxis outside the building. Walking on the Marina was really nice. Walmart is actually not that far up the street. It's actually in a "ritzy" part of the city so I always felt safe, even when walking around at night. The beach left a lot to be desired. It was on a level above the water (small cliff).

My tip if you read down this for is TIMESHARE. When we landed, there was a timeshare company offering free roundtrip airport transportation, city/island tour, and Rhythm of the Night (an awesome, awesome show - must see), for $80, in exchange for viewing the resort. We took it, went on the tour, the place was awesome and we had the best parts of our vacation for $40/each. Later, after arriving at the hotel, the same deals were offered, but MUCH MUCH sweeter. We met a man who travels to the hotel frequently and learned that for the same deal, they should have PAID US $5000 pesos - basically enough to fund our WHOLE VACATION!! So hold out and find the best Timeshare offer, and feel free to negotiate and pit all the sellers against each other! Definitely get transportation paid for and see Rhythm of the Nights!

Room Tip: Timeshare. Spend 1/2 day and get vacation paid for :)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Deniece J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed 1/24/2013 thru 1/31/2013. Activity Directors, Bartenders & Servers etc. all most accomodating. Beautiful pool & marina at the Vamar property plus access to the pools & beachfront property a quick walk across the street. Marina access right next door with shops, bars & restaurants. Cabs & buses readily available. Felt very safe walking the marina area & going into old town (a fasinating local bus ride) to visit the market area & beachfront walk. Room was basic hotel room, clean with reliable maid service. Three buffet style meals served daily at different locations around the properties. Food was ok but the server & waiters made up for it. The front desk could use a little public relations, offer maps of the resort, room locations, dining areas, bar & meal times etc. Resort was maybe half full so no long waits for food & drinks. They are renovating also. The Vamar is just a really fun place for a relaxing vacation. We made new friends of staff & guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jeanannevans
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Now with that being said there were many positives to this hotel you just have to be aware of some other things. We stayed Jan 4-11, right after the Christmas/New Year rush. The staff was very welcoming but the desk clerks didn't let us know about the immediate area. It took us 3 days to figure out that there was a OXXO (cornerstore) 2 minutes up the street (bottled water) and 4 days to figure out how to get to the marina boardwalk. We also asked if we could be upgraded to a balcony room 3 times but never got an answer back. We figured this wouldn't be a problem as the hotel was so empty but I guess they were too tired from the busy weeks they just had.
This place was immacutely clean from the lobby, pool area, public washrooms, outside dining area and our room. That being said there is no bar fridge and the King Size bed was soooo hard we went to Walmart and bought af oamy ($17) to sleep on. Our bathroom window didn't open and there was no fan so after our showers we hung out in steam adding to the already "wet" feeling in the room. The showerhead was cracked and sprayed water over the shower curtain onto the toilet. A few adjustments and this was remedied. The toilet leaked and left puddles of water on the floor, nothing a towel couldn't mop up. Only 2 bath towels per room. 2 each would of been nice as sometimes the maid service didn't come til late in the afternoon. If you leave $1 - $2 on the bed extra soaps and bottled water appear. If not you get the basics.
Late nights have the possibility of being noisy as the bar is in the open air lobby and the noise (drunken laughter) reverberates off the water and tile. Also our room backed onto a timeshare and someone's dog was yapping for an hour at 4am and something mechanical squeaked alot. I had to turn the tv on to drown out the yapping and squeaking so I could sleep.
A few key waiters spoke very good English as did most people at the front desk. The rest however didn't and this could be very frustrating when trying to communicate.The service at the buffet was great even when we hadn't tipped yet. When we started tipping $4 per day service got even better. I recommend to start tipping the 1st day. After speaking with other guest $1-2 tip would of been fine but my hubby was feeling generous.
The food at the buffet - well this could be different when the hotel was busier but because there was maybe 60 guests the week we were there you needed to get there early so that it was fresh. Breakfast was the best with the self make omlettes, fresh fruit & yogurt. I liked the french toast too. Lunch and dinner had an assortment of meats (beef, pork, chicken, fish, shrimp) some deep fried, most not. Steamed veggies, pastas, rice. Lots of authentic mexican food which was interesting to try. It was hard for them to keep the food hot so most meals were lukewarm to cold. You sit on plastic chairs so my butt would get sore. Bring a cushion !!
The view of the marina and the boats coming in /out was the best part of our meals. Often times we sat there for 3 hours after dinner just watching the yachts sail by. There's an 8 ft crocodile that lives at the marina and we saw it swim by the 1st night we were there. Very cool.
Walking in the neighborhood was wonderful just keep your eyes on where you're walking because everything is uneven. Well manicured lawns and the timeshares, hotels, condo grounds were fun to look at. Starbucks is not far and you can sit outside too. There are some nice shops at the marina but we didn't try any restaurants there. Time share and "adventure trip" dudes are at each entrance to the marina but they're pretty respectful when you say "No thanks".
The beach side of the resort was nice. The pools were virtually empty when we were there but a bit cold. The lounge chairs were plastic and some were broken. Again bring a cushion!
The food at the snack bar SUCKED !! Everything deep fried, yucky! We went back over to the outdoor buffet for lunch. The beach itself was fine. A bit rocky in some areas so take your sandals. Some resorts roped off their beach areas to keep the vendors from speaking to their guest. The first day there we went down to the vendors at the beach and bought our sun hats. Barter with them for a good price. They expect this. When laying in the sun it got annoying that every 5-8 minutes there's another vendor walking by "Hey Lady, Hey Lady, you wanna buy a dress" or whatever else they're selling. After a few days you start to feel pulled at and that isn't what I wanted on my holiday. They don't get offended when you say "No" and just keep walking but they'll ask you again and again. I went on holidays to NOT get bugged. They can't come on the resort property but if you're by the edge they'll talk to you. My hubby went jet skiing a few times and really enjoyed this. The guys are on the beach, don't worry they'll find you.
The day we left 2 GreyHound buses pulled up and out came Mexican University Students. I can't imagine the noise this crowd was going to make. Very thankful we were on our way out!
We loved Puerta Vallarta and will return to this area again but not at this resort. We didn't expect much from the resort as we only paid $1500 for the 2 of us for a week, including airfare. We got our monies worth. We're going to rent a condo and buy our own food next time.

Room Tip: Get a balcony suite on the North Side.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Well this has been an adventure I will never do again.The hotel is located in a very nice area between the ocean and the marina so it was nice to have the advantage of both vistas. We had the standard room to start with on the 7 floor and were no way staying in that cess pool, no lights , towels , clean linens, and dirt everywhere, the toilet was running 24 -7 , the key to the safe is missing and the total air of the room was disgustin we had to go down stairs to complain as our phone did not work!. We had to pay extra to be moved to a different room and that was because it had a balcony, we did not enjoy the meals so much as it was cold more often than not and had to be microwaved each time even though they had people work on the table in the kitchen buffet . Our second room was cleaner and had a nice kitchen area but our luck was that it had an access to the outside where the delivery trucks came and went during the early morning hours and the staff had a work shop there also to sharpen the garden tools so that meant every noise from out side was inside with no way to subdue any of it .The staff are very friendly and helpful like any other PV resort , just tip them and you get what service you needed. The other funny thing about this place is that they asked to fill out the trip advisor right there in front of them while you check out and it is in Spanish so it was very imtimidating to say the least. I will not be back to this hotel , Not worth even half the money at 3100 for 2 weeks plus the upgrade of 300 can dollars .

Room Tip: we stayed in room 7026 as the worst one and then paid more for the 1041
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank voldkasandy
Reviewed January 22, 2013

First, staff were extremely nice, the grounds and pool were nice. And that's it. Food cold, and dry. Rooms were full of like 60's furniture, bad linens and old decor and not clean, our pillows stunk like sweat. Room was the size of a bedroom with a tiny bathroom. Needs major renovation. The only people staying there were locals, they must get good discounts to fill rooms. You have to walk out of the resort across street to get to their other property which includes beach access and a bar. That property is even more disgusting. We left on day two and went to barcelo, they were nice enough to refund money..very thankful for that. We got stuck when our flight back was cancelled, frontier put us in comfort inn right by the airport..that place was much nicer than vamar even..sad to say. This is like 30$ a night motel quality room. =/

It could have amazing potential if it was gutted, I'm hoping the owners see that with all of these bad reviews.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank ro421
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at Vamar from December 14-24 2012 with my mom, sister and boyfriend and we had a wonderful time! While there were a few issues, but they were not deal breakers! I will make a list of pros and cons of the hotel after I write this little section about our stay. We booked 2 superior rooms but when we got there was a little mix up and we were given standard rooms for the first night (which were fine there was just a really small balcony). We had gotten in late and there was a little bit of a language barrier and the standard rooms were perfectly fine so we decided to wait until the next morning and contact our nolitours rep and ask him to help us sort it out. (The women at the desk didn't understand that we had booked a superior room they though we wanted to pay to upgrade so thats why we needed our rep). Before lunch time we had everything sorted and were in our new rooms (which had amazing views!!!) and to make up for the mix up the staff gave us a "special dinner" which was at the a la carte restaurant on a private balcony upstairs which was outstanding!
For the first few days the resort was very quiet, maybe 15-20 families max which was a nice way to start. However, after being there for 3 days a ton of Mexican high school kids came and were horrifyingly loud! The first night they stayed they woke us up at 4am ringing out doorbell and banging on doors. We called the desk at 4am and they sent security to shut them up but we were worried it was going to happen every night. In the morning we told the front desk about the loud boys next door and they upgraded us to a villa on the other side of the resort for free! The villa was not as updated but it had a huge balcony and lots of space, it was on the beach side, and was quiet! I must say that I really liked the superior room better though, its view was just so amazing and the villas had a bit of a sulfur smell to them at night which sucked. Luckily the high school kids were only there for 3 nights so the resort was quite again for the next few days. The Christmas rush began on the 22 and by our last day the resort seemed full! For the people complaining about how busy it was at Christmas...that is to be expected, if you want to beat the Christmas rush I recommend traveling the week before! (it’s cheaper that way too!)
We loved Puerto Vallarta! My mom went on timeshare presentations (she was in and out in about an hour) and got AMAZING deals on adventures for going! I highly recommend going zip lining (on the ones with the double security lines) and taking the party boat tour where you go to the waterfall, ride horses, go snorkeling and have lunch (which was safe, none of us got sick) on the beach! I also recommend walking about 7-8 min down the beach (walking in the opposite direction of the city) and the beaches open right up! We didn't find this until the second last day of our trip and I wish we found it sooner!

PROS
-The staff is amazing! (a bit of a language barrier if your Spanish isn't great) They are so caring and attentive to everyone’s needs :)
-The food is actually Mexican, not super Americanised which was awesome!
- The Marina is beautiful, I recommend walking through it!
- Eating right beside the water in the Marina everyday is awesome :)
- The grounds are extremely well kept!
- Short cab ride to downtown (about 80-90 pesos)
- Bus stop is right out front of the resort
- There is a general store down the road so if you are dying for some junk food you can get it!
- There salsa is amazing! I loved the nachos at the snack bar by the beach!

CONS
- New Towels were sometimes an issue in the Villa. Sometimes they would replace some towels or take a hand towel or face cloth but not replace it which was a bit of a hassle
- There is no currency exchange on site (there might be something at the Marina but I am not sure) and the desk will not do any more than $20
- They didn't really tell us when anything was happening. For example, there was a special beach dinner which we didn't know about so we booked an a la carte dinner and when we were at the restaurant and found out there was a special dinner happening we left and went there. We also didn't know when special entertainment was happening until it had started. So find the event coordinators and ask them what’s going on if you want to know!
- Our NoliTours Rep was almost impossible to find after the first day which kind of sucked when we wanted to book adventures, but it worked out better actually because we got way better deals on the exact same excursions because my mom sat through a timeshare presentation!
Overall, the trip was great, the issues we had when we stayed were not deal breakers so I would totally come back! Oh and if you are into live music go to Roxy’s downtown, it was a lot of fun! And for those of you who have not been to Puerto Vallarta before, you do not have to go to the airport 3 hours early like you in a large American or Canadian city, an hour before is plenty! For the money we paid we got much more than we were expecting. We loved it! :)

Room Tip: I would spend the extra $30 and get a superior room with a balcony if you can!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Taylor M
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nice service in restaurant and hotel....good location !!!
Well....as I read the other comments...I think it is not preferable for US Citizens....but normal people who know 5 or 10 words in spanish will have a wonderful stay

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends