“Wonderful stay in Vamar Vallarta”

Vamar Vallarta All Inclusive Marina and Beach Resort
Ranked #38 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nice service in restaurant and hotel....good location !!!
Well....as I read the other comments...I think it is not preferable for US Citizens....but normal people who know 5 or 10 words in spanish will have a wonderful stay

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
19  Thank schnewol
Write a ReviewReviews (1,669)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I ended up filing a formal complaint about the resort. Below describes what you can expect if you do go to the vamar. Please trust me I don't want anyone else being as disjointed as we were.

Upon arrival they overbooked the hotel so we were not given our room we'd booked. We were given a very old room across the street from the hotel. I have been to Mexico many times and my expectations are not high. We were given a brochure at check in. It was completely in Spanish. We asked if they had an english copy. They didn't. We were never told where the restaurants or bars were. How to get drinks. What sort of entertainment was available. Nothing. It made us feel very unwelcome. The fridge in the room was FULL of mould. The bed was full of hair. We had barely half a roll of toilet paper, no phone, no maid service. (we had no toilet paper day two but luckily packed some) We tried to shower and chucks of guck came up the drain. Most of the lights didn't work. The front door had obviously been broken into as it didn't lock properly and the chain was broken. The sliding door actually didn't lock at all. One of the bathroom taps didn't work. All of the rooms around us were used as storage. We know this because the doors would be left open all the time so whenever we went to our room we would see piles of couches and beds. We could also hear them moving furniture around quite often. The maids glared at us whenever we walked up the stairs to our room. It felt like we were in their territory. We complained immediately and were told we'd have a new room in the morning so were forced to sleep in a very dirty bed. It sounded like laundry was washed in the middle of the night. Which would wake us up. We didn't have a phone in our room but did try to call noli on our cell phone but it didn't work. We then went to the front desk and asked to call noli. The lady tried and told us it went to voice mail so oh well she said.
The next day (Christmas day) they told us that we wouldn't get a room until 9am on the 26th. We had a meeting with our Noli Rep booked at noon. Renee was 20mins late. We booked three tours with noli as we decided we wanted to be away from the resort as much as possible. We told our noli rep how unhappy we were about our room and we were told we'd get a couples massage that afternoon. Since we aren't big complainers we said ok sure hopefully it will take some of the stress out of this situation. When we went for our massage it was late. Then there was only one masseuse so we had to take turns watching each other get an ok short massage that actually gave us both headaches. We then went to the front desk and were told we would get no maid service and if we wanted clean towels we'd have to walk across the street over to the room and bring the towels back. So we did this. We didn't have clean sheets but at least we could get clean towels.
The next morning we went to get our room and were told it wouldn't be ready until the afternoon. So we went and spent the day in puerto vallarta.(we didn't want to be at the hotel any longer without our actual room) That afternoon when we returned we were brought to a dirty room. (bed unmade towels and garbage on the floor). The room did seem much better and we were left and told that a maid would be right up. 10mins later we got moved to a clean room WAHOO first clean room of the vacation. This room was not as nice as the last we'd seen but it was clean so we were happy. We were only in our room for maybe 20mins when they walked in on us with other hotel guests. Obviously didn't mark down that we had gotten this room. After all the stress I ended up with a migraine. My fiance went down to the bar to get a drink and like usual none of the bars were open so he went to the gift shop to buy a drink. When he tried to get back into the room our keys cards had been deactivated so he had to go down to get them reactivated. After all that all we wanted to do was try and sleep. Then the music started playing from the back side of the hotel. It was so loud we couldn't go to sleep or even watch tv until it ended. (even with earplugs in it was VERY loud). We actually could hear it from our old room which was very far away.
The next day we had an excursion so didn't return to the hotel until about 4pm. Dinner was terrible as it had been every night. It seems that we get ignored in the restaurants. We see spanish speaking people receiving great service while we are completely ignored. During the 7 days we spent at the resort we were only offered drinks 4 times. The drinks were quite bad as well so we just drank bottled water which we discovered we could get at the front desk (when its available). Again Thursday night the music was unbearably loud. So bad in fact that I ended up in tears for the 4th time and sent escapes an email expressing how unhappy we are at the resort.
We were away at another excursion most of Friday. When we returned we received a note saying that at noli rep would be at the resort at 9am on Saturday to meet us. Friday night we were actually able to get a good night sleep. The music wasn't nearly as loud as it had been the previous two nights and we were very thankful for that.
Saturday morning I really didn't want to go meet with the noli rep as honestly I was very tired of complaining and just didn't want to deal with it anymore. This was suppose to be a relaxing holiday. My fiance went down and met with Vincent. He was really great. Very understanding, on time, and easy to find. He was appalled by hearing just half of the things that had gone wrong. He said that the hotel needed to do something for us to try and make this right. He went and called the general manager and came back saying that Ricardo would like to meet us at 11am to discuss things. We went to the lobby at 10:50am and waited until 11:20am the general manager never showed up. We then left the lobby and went to the beach. We'd already spent too much time complaining without getting any help and didn't want to let it continue to ruin our holiday. At the beach our drinks had hair in them Two hairs in my fiances drink and after a few sips I found one in mine. We went back on bottled water at this point. When we returned to our room our keys had been deactivated again so a maid let us in. We were suprised to see that a towel had been maid into a swan and there were five chocolate coverd strawberries and some wine. I can see an effort was made there but it was too little too late. We then went downstairs to have our keys reactivated. Turns out our name wasn't even by our room number. They trusted us anyhow and reactivated them. (that made us even more uneasy) Saturday evening we had an excursion and were happy to leave the hotel again.
Sunday morning we went for breakfast. No tables (which was fairly common) so we brought our food back to our room. As we had been unsuccessfull all week trying to get a reservation at the al la cart we decided to try again and we actually got a reservation. We were quite excited about this. (the idea of not having to eat at the buffet again was delightful). We then hurried over to the beach so we could get some chairs. We learnt early on that if you don't get to a pool area early you will not get a chair. There aren't nearly enough chairs for guests and at least 1/4 are broken. We lucked out and got two chairs. One was broken but hey we could both sit off the ground. Once we were done at the beach we returned to our room. We were lounging in bed when we heard a knock and we were suddenly walked in on by a maid. We didn't even have time to respond. Then about 25 mins later while changing there was another knock. I ran to the door and was able to stop them. My fiance was furious but we knew there was no point in complaining to the front desk because it wouldn't help matters. We were just thankful they didn't see us naked. That would have been worse. (no room we were given had a do not disturb sign or we would have put it out) Once dressed we headed down to the al la cart. When we arrived there were menus with costs listed by the items. We asked if it was included or not. They didn't understand us so we ended up leaving disappointed yet again. There was no way we were going to pay 210 pecos each for a meal at our resort. We then waited 30mins for the buffet to open and ate there. On our way back to our room we decided to check out the other floors. It seems that the forth floor has renovated rooms that look much nicer then any room we were ever given. Would have been nice to get one of those rooms seeing we booked a superior room and requested a renovated room months ago. The music sunday night was again deafening. Even with earplugs. We were grateful that it wasn't karaoke again though.
There are signs posted in the resort that say "this is a non smoking resort" however people smoke everywhere and nobody seems to care. I am very allergic to cigarette smoke and it was important when booking a resort that we had a non smoking one. People are even smoking in the elevators in front of the employees and nobody says anything.
Sunday afternoon some kids were dumping buckets full of sand in the pool in front of the staff. Nobody did anything. The sand was left in the pool all day long. It made it very unpleasant to go in.

They do not cater to foreigners at all. If you cannot speak spanish expect to be treated like you don't belong. (and we do try to speak spanish as we do know a handful of words)

Our new room had the typical problems that you can expect in mexico and we expect these. (stinky bathroom, shower curtain too short so bathroom floods, short on towels, queen sheets on a king bed, sliding glass door still doesn't work). We also didn't expect great food. I've found it never great in mexico but its terrible at this resort. Everything seems to be undercooked and nothing is labelled so we have no idea what is what. The pools are cold but I expected that too. Everything else that we've been through is what's really made us count down the days until we could just go home. It's been over the top bad. Who knew going on a vacation to mexico could end up being so stressful.

Room Tip: If you are booked and in can absolutely not chance resorts I suggest you ask from a room on the 4th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
27  Thank 177Jen
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We are actually still staying at the Vamar as I type this. I came to look at other reviews to see what I was thinking when I booked the trip. Upon check in we were given no instructions of where to go for food ,or how the all inclusive portion worked. All welcome packets are in Spanish (which I understand) however it would be easy to print an English version. The first dinner we had not one person waited on us. You must get alcohol from the wait staff but no one ever came. We were stunned that not one person talked to us. The food was disappointing at best. They ran out of most things right away and were slow to refill anything. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. Burrito bar, but they were out of almost all ingredients. I asked for ketchup, and I was told it would be 10 mins. I went down for coffee at 8am today and was told the machine was broken. Yesterday it rained and it took them until 1030 am to move the food inside. (Buffett is set up outdoors) By that time it was cold, dry, and possibly unhealthy to eat. We have truly gotten to the point where we wonder if the food is safe. Ranch dressing is warm, cheese that is out is half melted to a platter, the fish literally smells badly the hotdogs are beyond gross and the hamburgers are worse than a school cafeteria . The cheapest china buffets, or old country buffets of the states are worlds above this place. Saving grace.....Manuel , the bell man. He was the only staff member to even smile at us. Oh...did I mention our room key stopped working every single day? Bottom line, stunningly bad .

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. The Mayan palace in the marina is fantastic
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Vamarhater
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The bad: My wife, son and his girl friendand I booked our vacation at the Vamar Vallarta from Dec. 26 - Jan 2. Our arrival was a screw up from the get go. The hotel was over-booked and they stuck us is some run down 2 bedroom condo on the ocean side of the resort. After walking over there, the electronic keys did not work and it took three keys until the door finally opened (half hour wasted). This owner/rental unit had furniture that looked like it came from a garage sale. Had a pee in the toilet and when I flushed it the result was water (and pee) overflowing all over the bathroom (another hour to get housekeeping to clean up the mess. The lady in charge at the front desk (Cecilia) really went out of way to help us out in spite of the fact that no management was anywhere to be found. We were given two rooms (like we paid for) the next day which were on the Marina side facing the marina which were a vast improvement and quite nice. She also arranged for a nice dinner (an extra one) for us at the restaurant which has pretty good food, but you're limited to 1 dinner a stay (?) which is nothing but cheap on the part of the hotel. It is a good thing we get to have two dinners there because the food at the main buffet is questionable. The breakfasts are good but lunch and dinner are sub-standard. Who ever is in charge of the catering must be some flunky with no cooking skills, imagination or qualifications to be doing the job. Running out of food every meal is unacceptable - even if it is sub-standard. And deserts are a joke - jello! Yes jello... Today though, a surprise, they had cake, but of course not enough of it so I can't say if it was any good. I went back to my room and had a granola bar because it was the only appetizing thing there was left to eat.

Now the positive. The location is good and it's a quick trip to downtown and a very short walk to the marina to enjoy some restaraunts (good food) and beer.

The service staff are a mix of really good and really couldn't give a crap. The real problem here is that this resort is very poorly managed, and obviously underfunded. Trying to operate condos and a resort is a recipe for disaster - at least they have one recipe down pat.

Would I stay here again - no flippin way!

Room Tip: Marina side of the main building.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Rico_Sauve
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We booked this based on the reviews and pictures of it on line - FALSE ADVERTISING. This was to be our family Christmas vacation. The first day we arrived late and had supper, the food was very poor. They were hosting a graduation class there and allowed them to party throughout the whole night at the hotel. This was to go on for a couple of days. Apparently they do not have a quite time, nor do they care about the guests. We checked out the next day and moved to another resort. The staff could not speak even broken English and the time share people were all over you every minute of every day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Scott W
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I got an all inclusive package and stayed for a weekend with my wife. The buffett was not good at all. Bath tissue was low quality and rooms missed power plugs. The bar was acceptable and all drinks are well served. The restaurant has an excellent view at the marina and makes you forget about the bad food. You may spend a good time if you are willing to sacrifice some wellness.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Guillermo G
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this property in October, 2012, for a few days.

This place is super basic - you get what you pay for. They should however, consider having more than just one bar open - the lobby bar only opens at 6pm forcing ALL guests to use the pool bar.

While the smell of dead fish from the marina is beyond the control of the hotel; I will suggest they pick a better time to scoop the from out of the water - 9 am while guests are walking to the restaurant for breakfast which located about 50 feet from the marina (yeah, the smell will take away from the eating experience).

I love Mexico, the people, music and so on however, this place had a lot of younger Mexican locals. Some of which were very nice and others who were complete losers and tried to pick fights (sadly, this story is true).

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends