El Pescador
$299
$181
$139
  • Breakfast included
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$307
$257
  • Beachfront
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$370
$286
  • Breakfast included
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$449
$152
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$159
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$242
All reviewsocean viewmexican hotelbreakfast couponsspent one night hereno safe in the roomtraditional mexicannice poolsteps awayincluded breakfastrooms are basiclocation location locationalarm clockstreet vendorsmexican touristssafety deposit boxtwo blockspool towels
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I spent one night here after arriving in PV. Good sized rooms, very basic, but clean. Excellent staff and good location. Easy walk to the Malecon. Breakfast is included, but a pretty limited selection and not too good. I didn't use the pool. but it is good sized.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Hawksec
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Apparently my experience at El Pescador was quite different from the previous reviewer. Our towels were fine. Basic, like the hotel in general, but fine. And I NEVER in nine days there saw all the lounge chairs taken. Most of the time there were plenty available the times we were there.

Anyway, this is a basic old-style Mexican hotel in a great location. You cannot expect luxury and a lot of amenities at these prices, but the convenience of the location, and the view from the balcony can't be beat. The beach is nice and quiet. Very few vendors & kept nice & clean by the hotel. The pool area is also lovely with very nice landscaping.

The included breakfast is minimal. Just some scrambled eggs & beans & bread & juice. You can order from the menu for extra charge if you want, but after the first few days we mostly ate out at one of the many great restaurants within 2-3 blocks.

My only real complaint is that the bar service around the pool was non-existent. Even if you sit at one of the tables by the bar they take forever to offer service. There's a very nice beach bar right next door, however, with much better drinks, "Mangoes". That was a mixed blessing however, because our room was in the north end of the hotel and we could hear the music pretty much all the time and the disco beat drove the DH a little crazy. If we were to go to El Pescador again, I would request a room in the south section of the hotel. The rooms there look to be about the same size, but they overlook the pool and are probably quieter at night & they also have dividers between the balconies to provide more privacy than the north wing. As for the street side rooms, I have no idea what they are like, but I wouldn't even consider them since the ocean front rooms have such nice views. I don't think the price difference is enough to pass on the view rooms.

As for the location, you are only three blocks from the Malecon. You can walk there along the beach, along the quiet street the hotel is on, or go one block over to the main street and browse the shops etc. There is a great full-service supermarket one block away as well as an OXXO convenience store & a bunch of restaurants, and at least one other beach bar a few blocks north besides the one right next door. All the buses are only a couple blocks away as well.

I should mention, though, that if you are using a rent-a-car, their "free parking" is really just four spaces off the street. We never did get to use any of them, but the street parking wasn't a problem. Might be on weekends, though, so be warned. Worse comes to worse, there's a big free underground parking garage about 2.5 blocks away.

As for the room, YES THE BEDS ARE LIKE CEMENT! Took a few restless nights to get used to them, but we did. If you can't deal with a hard bed you might want to book elsewhere or plan on taking a trip to Walmart to buy a foam egg-crate pad or similar. The room was not large but of adequate size. No dresser, but there was a shelf unit in the closet. The bathroom was small as well with no storage, no hair dryer, but it was clean and the shower had good pressure and lots of hot water. There was a shelf/desk with a stool under it, a round table with only one chair, a suitcase stand, and a nightstand in between the two double beds. There were two plastic chairs on the balcony. Again, basic. But they keep the place very clean, and that's really all we cared about.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

Room Tip: Wouldn't consider staying there except for Ocean Front rooms. Next time I'd request upper floor, south wing room. North wing got some noise from beach bar next door. Also south wing rooms have privacy dividers between the balconies.
6  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Pescador in Puerto Vallarta.

I would never stay there again.

The towels were thread bare. They state that they give you pool and beach towels - they want you to use the same towels in the room as you use for the pool. These towels had threads coming off all sides and were no larger than 2 by 2 feet, too small to wrap around the body.

The hotel was mediocre, what we paid for, yet it was disappointing. We could not adjust the air conditioning.

Guests would go out to pool at 8 am and save the few lounge chairs. The guests who saved these chairs would not show up until 1 or 2 pm. I started taking their towels off the chairs so we could have somewhere to sit. I brought this to the attention of management and they did not seem to care.

I encountered one couple who saved their chairs at 8 am and showed up at 2 pm, after I realized they were taking tours everyday and saving their lounge chairs with their towels.

There are few too many lounge chairs for the hotel. The safe deposit boxes are very small, no way to store an iPad of laptop.

I would find another place to stay for $65 a night. It is not worth the money.

The hotel is in need of repair, the pool is not heated. The pool area does not have nearly enough seats for the guests, about 30 chairs for over 100 rooms.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
3  Thank Melanie R
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at another hotel owned/operated by this hotel. It was Hotel Margarita. It is right next to El Pescador. They are both located right on the water and close to the "boardwalk". Lots of art and local shopping to explore.

Room Tip: The first time we stayed there we had a very small single room/double bed at the back of the hotel. Clean but crowded. The end of the week we stayed for 2 more nights and requested two double beds. This room was much larger and had a slight ocean view. The hotel is definately older, but it is clean and the staff goes out of its way for you.
1  Thank naturesdesigns
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel is old but very well maintained. Very clean and the staff was always ready to help. Lovely beach and the pool area is very nice. Breakfast was included and like anything else some times was better than others but you never went hungry. From our deck we could see whales and dolphins. It is only about 3 blocks from the malecon and all the dining you could want. Walking in old town, the cathdral and all the things to do are very near by. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be able to get out and do their own thing. Beds are very hard but you do get use to them.

Room Tip: Other than the beds being very hard I have no complaints. The location is great and the views are breathtaking.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple