“Hotel Mercurio Puerto Vallarta”
Review of Hotel Mercurio

Hotel Mercurio
Ranked #55 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Mansfield, Ohio
“Hotel Mercurio Puerto Vallarta”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Hotel is located well for beach, restaurants and night-life. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and make your stay special. Rooms could use a little updating, mattresses are extremely hard and there seems to be leaks in the 3rd floor hallway each time there is a heavy rain, and the outside is painted an interesting (ugly) shade of dark gray, but the great staff make the overall rating very good instead of average. Pool and lounge area extremely nice and great place to unwind and meet others. Happy hour is open to the public and always fun. Hot breakfast in the morning is a great touch and added value. All in all this place is a very good deal for the price. We came back and will again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing street rooms are quieter. Rooms facing pool allow you to know when there is activit...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jkzoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Hotel Mercurio, strategically located in the center of the Romantic Zone, is a small and quaint hotel boasting the friendliest staff of all Puerto Vallarta. The staff takes a personal interest in each guest's comfort and always do everything with a smile. The rooms are small and inexpensive creating a very intimate setting. I have enjoyed the hotel at least during 20 visits alone and also with company. Either way you can't go wrong!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tony M
cristpd, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you, Tony, for your very kind comments! We love to see you every time you visit! For us, and we hope for you, as well, it is like welcoming a valued friend. We'll see you again soon!

Paul and all the staff
Hotel Mercurio
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Very nice staff! Hotel is right in the middle of restaurants and bars. It is nice to just walk out your front door and you are there.
Fun pool and bar scene.
Yes the rooms could be a little upgraded, but amazing for the price.

1 Thank Andrew W
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Much like any traveller I read all the reviews, etc. and my choices were between the Casa Capula, the Vallarta Cora and Hotel Mercurio........so glad I picked the Mercurio.
I was fortunate enough to do some partying over at Casa Capula, and it is a SPECTACULAR property with absolutely gorgeous and modern rooms, excellent gym, yada yada. but it's twice the price and the kicker is it sits atop a massive hill. I'm a marathon runner/triathlete and I'm no one to complain about a little bit of work to get to a room but damn. I train on ski hills that seem easier to get to the top of. Everyone I talked to that stayed there regularly took a 50 peso cab ride home daily to avoid the walk.
The Vallarta Cora I never got to see first hand so I can't say anything about it. What I do know is that it does have a "bathhouse type" thing gong on on the first floor somewhere which was why it made it onto my list in the first place but I decided that might be a little too much to handle on my first "gay oriented" solo trip.
Also note that alot of the hotels, for example Blue Chairs Resort are currently either renovating or near a construction zone. I heard alot of complaints from people about not getting anywhere near a full nights sleep as construction starts as soon as the sun rises. There is currently no construction type noises at the Mercurio.
Prior to my trip to the Mercurio I had only really travelled to the Dominican with groups of friends and stayed in all inclusive resorts. I was extremely nervous about booking this trip having never travelled alone. I'm glad I took a chance on travelling solo to Mexico and to this hotel because I had a truly amazing time.
The Mercurio isn't a resort and doesn't try to sell itself off as one. Whatever price you end up booking it for IT INCLUDES BREAKFAST!!! It's one less meal you have to worry about paying for. Breakfast usually includes eggs, a meat dish(somewhat spicy - you are in Mexico after all), a fruit bowl, yogurt, drinkable yogurt, fresh orange juice, coffee, and a selection of pastries (cinnamon buns, croissants, double chocolate muffins, turnovers).
Also I would recommend calling the hotel directly before you book as they might be able to offer you some sort of deal you don't see online.
Upon arrival I was helped to my room by whoever checked me in (he insisted on helping me with my bags), which must of looked ridiculous because I'm this 6'1 athletic young black guy and he was this 5'7 mexican man. The hotel doesn't have an elevator/lift, and really doesn't need one. It's only 3 stories tall and even after a drunken night of partying if you can't climb 3 flights of stairs I'm sure you can pass out on one of the pool chairs without a problem.
The Room- I can see what people mean by the rooms appear to be "dated" but speaking as someone that was homeless once upon a time I didn't see this as an issue at all. What I did find impressive about the room was the shower is huge, the wifi is excellent, the bed I found to be comfortable and after a thorough 30 minute inspection I didn't find a single bug and more importantly didn't find a single bedbug (this last fact was the most important to me). The A/C worked almost too well, it felt like I was still back in Canada when I first entered the room. I kept my "do not disturb" sign up for my entire visit mainly because I didn't want my room to be made up or entered during my visit and the staff obliged. I ran into the guy that makes up the rooms once on my way out and he gladly exchanged my towels for me and gave me additional bottles of water, etc.
The Hotel Bar - I don't remember the bartenders name, didn't really talk to him much, the most important thing he said just happened to be the first thing to come out of his mouth "20 pesos for a beer".
This is the cheapest price you'll find anywhere in the "gay area", believe me I did the leg work. So I would suggest stopping by the hotel bar either before/after getting ready for your evening activities.
The Pool - Nice pool, great for a midnight swim/early morning swim after the club, just be warned that obviously no one is skimming/maintaing the pool in the middle of the night so you might happen across the odd roach floating next to you. A good sidenote, I never saw a single roach on the property otherwise.
Sundays - The hotel hosts an event called "Beers, burgers and boys/bears" every sunday. All you can eat burgers and all you can drink beers from 4-7pm. It was low season so there were only two boys serving beers/burgers in white underwear, one was busy checking his phone every 5 min and the other, although more dedicated, didn't really get into being there until the end. But the event draws enough eye candy that if you're into a guy with a touch of gray in the hair and a little bit of a belly, like I am, you'll have enough to look at.
Be warned the burgers are big. I thought I would be eating four or five, I quit after 2.
The beers you arre given come in a smaller bottle than the regularly served beers but it's all you can drink so not a big problem there.
It was nice to see the owner of the hotel present and mingling/partying with the guests.
Security at Night - Speaking as someone that sauntered in every night between 5-6am I can tell you that there is a gate, it locks, and there is someone at the gate every night to let you in.
Overall I would stay at the hotel again, and I would recommend it to anyone whether a couple, solo traveller, young or old.
Just make sure to pack your best accessory: YOUR SMILE!
And don't be afraid to say hello / how are you? / Where arer you visiting from? to anyone you meet. Great conversation starter and a quick way to make friends.
After all your vacation is what you make it.
The following is just random info about the "Romantico/Gay Zone" of Vallarta:
The Beach - Great beach, sometimes wildlife i.e the odd turtle and a couple fish, can wander a bit too close to shore for my liking but if that kind of stuff doesn't bother you than there shouldn't be a problem
The Vendors - "Cocaine, weed, sex". Can't tell you the number of times I was offered these three during my stay. These guys are on the beach and on about every street corner, if it's your thing not difficult to find at all. The vendors on the beach selling massages/jewllery/foods etc. I didn't find to be pushy at all, however they are so many in number that it becomes easily annoying to have to keep saying "no gracias" after the first day.
The Club - Paco's ranch is the "it" place to be. Even during low season on a Tuesday it draws a fair number of people. I also enjoyed the air conditioned side bar over at CC Slaughters. On the busier nights Paco's will charge a 25 peso entrance fee but that usually includes a drink.
The Strip Bars - I was brought to my first strip bar while in Mexico (Anthropology, Wet dreams, Blue Chairs) and the guys were a little young for me but I'm sure they're catering more toward the older gay male traveller looking for a young athletic mexican boy. Also the boys will just stand there and half heartedly dance like they are owed/entitled to your money, most of the time they were conversing with each other paying no mind to the people entering or leaving with pockets full of cash. I'm sorry but if that's what you choose to do as a profession you need to dance like every song is the last song, the rent is due tomorrow and you're a dollar short.
I think that's all I have to comment on.
Random side note: Something I learned is that if you see a guy, especially on the beach, and they are playing on their phone for longer than 10 seconds they are more than likely on GRINDER. If you don't know what grinder is google it, it'll scare /amaze you.
Don't spend all your time at the hotel, even if you like it, go out, explore and discover the beautiful city.
Enjoy your visit!

10 Thank Julian M
cristpd, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Julian, I cannot thank you enough for your kind - and thorough! - commentary! We work so hard to make everyone's stay exactly as you describe it. And by "we" I mean all of the staff. It matters to all of us. And many of our staff have been part of the Mercurio family since 2002, when I purchased the hotel.

When we get a negative commentary, it really hits home, and hits hard. I've been at this long enough to know you can't please everyone all the time...sometimes expectations exceed what people are paying for, for example. The myth that. "it's Mexico, so it's supposed to be cheap." is still around. And I wish we could remodel and upgrade the property... but a.) we don't have the cash flow or capital to do that...and capital is not easy to come by in Mexico. and b.) if/when we do upgrade the physical property, we will necessarily have to charge more...nothing in life is free.

I think we're doing very well, being in the top 20% of PV hotels, at the affordable rates we charge and extensive services and amenities we offer. You really hit on all of these in your thorough review!

Support like yours makes everything we do worth it... Your review made our day! Thanks again!

Paul Crist and the team at Hotel Mercurio.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The hotel is in a very good location with a short walk to the beach (Blue Chairs etc), restaurants and bars. Its also near the bus stop if you want to brave to local bus to go to downtown and the newer parts of PV. The pool area is nice. Just be prepared for you room - very outdated and as my partner stated, rustic. Otherwise staff are very friendly and the hotel is clean.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Darren A
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Here's my take on Hotel Mercurio. Usually when I come to PV, I stay in the Hotel Zone and have also stayed in Nuevo Vallarta. Being a solo gay traveler, I decided to stay in the Zona Romantica, and it didn't really matter whether it was gay or straight or mixed. I wanted value and comfort. Actually, what I wanted was a beachfront luxury adults only all inclusive resort with room service in the Zona Romantica, but that doesn't exist, so I did some research, spoke to some locals, and decided on the Mercurio for my 4 night stay. I called over the phone, as I was trying to decide between a single room or a king room. My friend said that they were the same size, but I saw the difference and the king room was a lot bigger. My biggest complaint was the bed. Hard as a rock. I woke up in pain every day. I had room 307 and the refrigerator in the room would make a loud clunk every 30 minutes or so, and would startle me every time I was awake to hear it. They said they supplied water daily, which they did the first 2 days, but didn't the last 2. They also didn't refill any of the shampoo, so the one little bottle they gave me I used for 4 days. They do have water coolers on each floor, so I just filled bottles up right outside my door, but they should have replenished whatever amenities that they have on a daily basis. Also,on day 3 in low season, which is hot and humid, I came back to the AC turned off in my room after walking back and spending the day at Playa Los Muertos. I was so upset, standing in my room, dripping sweat, and it wasn't anywhere near cool in there. So they have a few things to work on. The staff is super sweet. Bar tenders and breakfast helpers were very accommodating. My flight didn't leave until 4:20 pm today, so they gave me late check out. Their concept is good, but they are lacking in the consistency department. Oh, and a heads up, since this is a small hotel, there is no elevator. Therefore, be prepared to walk up 2 flights of stairs with luggage.

Room Tip: I'd not get a room facing the pool, if you like to sleep in, since breakfast starts at 8:30 am.
2 Thank Paul X
cristpd, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear OC,
Thank you for taking the time to report on your experience at Hotel Mercurio. Allow me to address each item in turn.

The king mattress in 307 is a pillow top, as are all of our mattresses. We actually have a regular guest who requests that room because he specifically likes a soft mattress and has found the mattress in 307 to his liking. I suppose what is a hard mattress for one is soft for another, and vice versa.

We wish you would have reported the occasional noise from the refrigerator to us... we always take care of maintenance issues as promptly as possible. It is possible that the noise has not occurred when housekeepers were in cleaning, so sometimes a mention at the ever-attentive reception desk is needed.

As for why the free water bottles and shampoo were not replaced...I will IMMEDIATELY discuss with housekeeping. They know better, and know I do not tolerate sloppiness in their work. My personal apologies. Glad you found the water cooler outside your room.

Yes, we do turn off air conditioners when housekeeping finds them left on while guests are out. No apologies here. At the rates we charge, and the electricity rates we pay, to run A/C all day in an empty room would break us. I am not exaggerating. The electric bill is that bad (Electric rates generally in Mexico are significantly higher than the US). It's also not particularly environmentally friendly to cool empty rooms. Fortunately, our A/C units cool the rooms down very quickly. I'm sorry you felt inconvenienced.

Again, we appreciate your comments, and will always strive to improve.

Paul Crist
Owner
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was worried about booking the hotel based on some of the reviews. Granted the hotel has some outdated parts, however this is what allows the rates to be so competitive! Ultimatly the two most important points are:

1. AMAZING Staff