$568
$244
Bookit.com
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$312
$184
$286
$250
$139
$100
  • Breakfast included
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$331
$220
  • Beachfront
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$214
$183
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$411
$286
$419
$172
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $215/night.

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$112
$95
  • Beachfront
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$169
$149
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsgay beachgay hotelzona romanticaevery morningpool areayogurtother guestsrooms are basiclos muertos pierplenty of hot watergreen chairssmall hotelking roomromantic zonesmall poolcleaned every dayceiling fan
Reviewed March 27, 2014

After staying at several other hotels in the Old Town area we chose to stay at the Mercurio Hotel in the "Old Town" part of Puerto Vallarta. I phoned a few days in advance and a friendly voice , who said his name was David, answered the phone. I told him we would be in the area but we may leave fir a few days to go to Guadalajara. David explained there would be no problem if we left and assured us a room would be waiting for us when we returned. When we arrived David was working at the front desk and welcomed us to the hotel. He gave us an explanation of the services the hotel offered and quickly showed us to our room. Of all the hotels we have stayed in this area, this room was cosy and the beds were really comfortable. Each room has its own refrigerator for keeping drinks & snacks cool. There is a flat screen tv in each room with both English & Spanish channels. Each morning hotel guests are invited to a breakfast in the bar area. The breakfast is of good quality and there is a good variety of hot and cool things to eat.
Each day "Happy Hour" goes from around 3:30 until around 6 pm. Jorge the bar tender is a delight and makes everyone feel special. We always tried to make "Happy Hour" part of our day.
On Sunday the Mercurio has a special event called "Burgers, Beer & Boys" You can have all the burgers and beer you want for 150 pesos, with boys in white Mercurio bathing suits delivering the drinks to your table.
We made arrangements to go to Guadalajara for a few days and I asked David at the front desk to help me book the bus tickets. He spent a lot of time helping me and for some reason my credit card didn't work. We called the credit card company and David talked to the representative and we still weren't able to get the credit card accepted. This process took over and hour and David continued to help me. He suggested I get money from the ATM and get the tickets by paying cash. I went to the ATM and my card didn't work. I was becoming frustrated and David offered several solutions to my predicament. The next day, which was his day off I saw him on the street and he asked me how everything was going and I told him my problems and he said if I couldn't solve them on my own today he would be able to help me more when he was at work the next day.
Luckily I was able to get the problem solved.
The housekeeper who kept our room clean was also named David and he did a fantastic job for us while we were at the Mercurio.
This was the best hotel for the money we have stayed at in Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Rooms farther away from the bar are the qyuietest.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gymac
Reviewed March 22, 2014

My partner and I stayed here upon the recommendation of a friend that lives in Puerto Vallarta and could not have been happier. The staff is vey accommodating to any requests that you have. I asked for a first floor room and got the best one (#106) which was perfect. The rooms are not luxurious but very clean with A/C, safe, mini fridge and a nice comfortable mattress. The a/c works great which is important when it is hot and humid. The breakfast that is served daily as part of the room rate is great. We head eggs cooked to order each day that we were there. The happy hour by the pool each day (2 for 1 drinks) is great. The location is excellent. All the gay bars and excellent restaurants are within a 5-7 minute walk from the hotel. Also, the beach is right down the street from the hotel. This hotel is in the heart of the Zona Romantica area, which is bustling with people. Definitely recommend a stay here. Will stay here again on our next trip to PV.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here twice a year for several seasons. In the heart of Olas Altas, steps from the beach, gay nightlife and PVs best restaurants. Mercurio's amenities are basic but complete (room safe, mini fridge, A/C, etc). The staff and willingness to help make it an outstanding choice.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alexander I
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We have stayed at the Mercurio for many years. The staff at the front desk (David, Alex and Gabrielle) are all very nice and friendly. They will help you answering questions suggesting places to eat etc. The bar is run by Jorge, you couldn't ask for a kinder person. And he makes some great drinks. The Mercurio is located in the heart of the Romantic Zone. It's 1 1/2 blocks to the new pier and beach. An easy walk to the gay bars and night clubs. You couldn't ask for a better location.
However The Mercurio is in need of a makeover. The rooms are dark, dingy and dirty. The bathrooms are horrible, the shower and sink both leaked and you had to put towels on the floor. We had this room several years ago with the same problems. Some of the pool area furniture is broken. While sitting around the pool we spoke to other people about there rooms and no one had anything good to say about there accommodations. While we were there the front of the building was getting a paint job, which should help it look better. The Mercurio is usually full so there is no reason that it has been allowed to deteriorate to the condition that it is.
We stayed here for 5 days then moved to the Casa Donna Susanna. We did the all inclusive and it was only $ .80 more than the Mercurio. We will not stay here again unless some money is put into it to update the rooms from the beds to the dressers, paint, bathrooms. Again, the owners make a lot of money off of the gay community, it's time that they put money back into the building or they will start losing it's clients.

Room Tip: If you do chose to stay here, I have just a couple words of advice. Don't get the 3rd floor rooms, many of these leak when it rains, but they will give you buckets. Also, when it rains the water will go under the doors on the second and third floor rooms that face the bar/pool area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rodney C
Mercuriostaff, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your room during your recent visit. We certainly are aware that some of the rooms are not as nice as we would like them to be, and we are constantly…and I do mean constantly… spending to maintain the property. Like nearly all of the buildings in the Zona Romantica, Hotel Mercurio is an older building. The cost of maintaining and updating is tremendous. And we are doing our best. As you will note based on reviews across the internet (not just on TripAdvisor), the great majority of guests are extremely pleased with their room, the service, and the value we offer. We know we do not have a “Four Seasons” facility, but we also do not charge “Four Seasons” rates, even in the high-demand (and short) winter season. If you found that there was a leak in your shower and/or sink, I do hope you reported it. And if so, I can assure you it has been repaired…there are repairs we cannot do while the room is occupied, so at times a repair must wait until the guest checks out. We repair EVERY maintenance issue that is brought to our attention by guests or staff, at the first opportunity to do so.

I have also personally checked all of the pool chairs and tables… none are broken. So I would appreciate if you could be more specific about what you found broken. These furnishings are also regularly repaired, so perhaps you found something on one occasion before we were aware of it.

Oner item I think I MUST address: You noted that the hotel is “always full” and that we make “a lot of money off of the gay community.” Consider the following:

1.) Yes, we are always full from about mid-December to mid-March…a high season of about 3 months. For the past 5 years, thanks to US media spreading unfounded fears about travel anywhere in Mexico and an economic crisis that has all but crushed tourism in Puerto Vallarta (along with some other factors I will explain below)….we have lost a huge sum of money…I no longer have a retirement account, which I did have prior to buying the hotel in 2002…I also have sold all my other liquid assets in order to keep the hotel open…since it is not an asset that can be easily sold (much less in a period when the hotel industry is reeling and no capital is available for small-medium business investors). We did reasonably well from 2004 to 2009… since then, business in PV, for me and for every other business, has been extremely challenging.

2.) During the summer and autumn, not only is our occupancy down, but our rates average in the US$40 range (exclusive of taxes, which re merely a pass-through). That includes a breakfast that you’d pay US$10 for most anywhere, free wifi (have you stayed at a Hilton or Westin lately? They charge about $10 per day for this), free local and international calls, daily room cleaning, free use of beach towels, etc. The fact is, we lose money from about April to November, just like all the local small hotels, gay or not. You might say, “well, raise your rates so you can make enough to invest in the property!” But it’s not that simple.

3.) Puerto Vallarta has had a glut of condominiums since about 2007…there is, by some accounts, a 4-year inventory of condos for sale. And they keep building more (I won’t comment on who is financing these, and where that money comes from…but, it’s Mexico). These condos, whether owned by the developers or by absentee (largely US and Canadian) owners, are all for rent. The tourism office estimates that 40% of the vacation rental market is made up of condos. These condos are operating as hotels, even if it’s a hotel with one unit. Yet they pay: No IVA (the 16% value added tax we pay); No hotel tax (3% that we pay); No social security (generally they have a housekeeper working under the table, who comes in and cleans between rentals…not daily. Social Security taxes add about 35% to payroll in Mexico, all of which is paid by the employer); and most foreign owners are getting their payments via Paypal in the US, where they are not even declaring that income for income tax purposes. The local, state, and federal governments in Mexico is well aware of this, but cracking down on tax cheats in another country is difficult. Furthermore, condos enjoy residential, subsidized rates for water and electricity…businesses do not get this subsidy. So you can imagine how difficult it is for a hotel to compete in a market where the playing field is so tilted against us.

I do not bring all this up to make excuses…these are simply the facts of the business climate we currently have in Puerto Vallarta. Fortunately, this year, we (all of the business community) has seen some improvement. We are praying that this trend continues. And as it does, you will find that the quality on offer will also improve.

Thank you for your comments. I hope you will take mine into consideration, and give Hotel mercurio another try.

Paul Crist,
Owner.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

The staff tries hard, service is good, they are very attentive to tripadvisor, but unfortunately, unless you are into gay-ghetto hotels, move on. For me, the idea that gays need to all be in the same hotel is outdated. Even if I was into that scene, fat bald gringos as are the rule here wouldn't quite do it for me.
My room looked so worn, I wanted to leave at once. The stucco is rough, stained, dirty; the bedspreads old and even torn in places. Yet, paradoxically, the bed was rather comfortable, and there were even a few signs of remodeling among the other worn furniture. Some of the wood was so worn as to be on its last legs however. The pool draws a crowd some nights and might be fun, but the pool area furniture is poor, not very clean, and generally unappealing. Bar staff was not very friendly. Hotel is in a good location, and with a remodel and maybe a different approach could be quite nice.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo