“Needs major renovations”

Ranked #55 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Needs major renovations”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The location is perfect....right in the middle of everything and very close to the beach. The 3rd floor room had a leak in the ceiling of the bathroom from the rain so I was moved to the 2nd floor where my toilet clogged on a daily basis. I would not stay here again until renovations are done.

Room Tip: If you are there during the rainy season stay off the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Mercuriostaff, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I am sorry that you found the facilities less than you had expected. We are constantly working to maintain and repair every detail that we find needs our attention. And we do so as promptly as we discover the problem. Your visit coincided with the first major rainstorm of the summer. Despite repairs made to the roof during the spring (when there is sun and no rain virtually every day) we found that the roof above this room will require another visit from the roofer. We try to test the roof after repairs, but no hose hoisted to the roof to check for leaks can compare with the deluges we get in the summer months. Our roofer has already returned to work on this leak, and we hope the problem is resolved. The next big rainstorm will tell.

As for your toilet clogging, this too, will be checked and fixed if indeed we find a problem (occasionally we do have clogged toilets, as does any building, but in most cases, it has to do with what's been flushed... if this is some other problem, it will be fixed - whatever it takes.) In checking with housekeeping and our manager, there was only one clogged toilet on one day in recent weeks... so I'm not sure which room you were in or what were the factors surrounding the clog "on a daily basis." Please do let us know so we can address this!

We have plans to both expand (to the adjacent property next to ours, with a completely new building), and to completely renovate our existing building, from the skeleton out. That plan has been a focus since 2006. Unfortunately, the global financial crisis, among other factors specific to Vallarta, forced us to shelve that plan in 2008. But we are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel after several very challenging years, and are once again seeking debt and equity financing to achieve our dream of making our hotel's physical facilities as fantastic as our attentive and caring staff is.

Please keep in mind that we (all tourism-related businesses) in Vallarta survive on a very short winter season - December to March, essentially. The rest of the year, we struggle to stay afloat with pricing and revenue that doesn't meet expenses. Indeed, because we believe that consistency is a key to success, even at very affordable summer rates that average about $49/night (excluding taxes), we still offer a full breakfast buffet, free wifi, daily maid service, free use of beach towels, and other amenities that hotels at twice our price charge for... Services we include because we believe it's the right thing to do.

So please know that we strive every day to ensure that we meet or exceed the expectations of every guest. Its a challenge given the circumstances in recent years, but it's a challenge we gladly accept and will always continue to do so. We appreciate your comments, because they help us to improve!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 10, 2013

THis was our 4th time at Mercurio, and was as GREAT as ever!! Just off season but very nice crowd. On Friday evening, we met and talked with a couple from Guadalajara, and 2 single guys from SF and Mexico City. We had a great time and were chatting away even though we didnt all speak the same language. We helped each other understand. This is why we stay here. If your looking for fun and meeting new people...this is it!! And thanks again to the whole staff, who ALWAYS make us feel like we have a 2nd home with them!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike44126
Mercuriostaff, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thanks for the kind and generous comments! We are, I believe, very fortunate to have the best staff any hospitality business could want. Most of our team have been with us for many years...several from our beginning in 2002. Because we are a family (a family who has chosen to be family...the most powerful kind of family!), our guests feel like family while visiting. That, for us, is of the greatest importance.

I also appreciate your mention of the friendly ambience at Mercurio. The opportunity to meet new people, find new friends, and share experiences with people from different cultures and backgrounds is what travel is all about. It is an opportunity that seems not so common for those who choose large, impersonal, cookie-cutter resorts. Those who opt for vacation condo rentals miss out the most in this regard, because condo-renters tend to cocoon. They eat at local restaurants less frequently, they interact with local people and fellow-travelers less, and thus have a far less rewarding travel experience. Hotel Mercurio will always proudly remain an intimate gathering place that brings people from all walks of life together!
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed a full two weeks. The rooms were more than adequate. The location was perfect. Close to the beach, restaurants and bar. Happy hour was a blast. I will definatrly stay there again. Love you guys

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Sokoloski
chicago
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is probably my 5th time here and as always everything was awesome. Everyone including Gabriel were awesome. The complimentary breakfast is a nice touch and free wireless thruout the building perfect. I did have to phone back to the states so the free use of the phone was perfect. Cant wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank windycityguy
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at the Mercurio for a few nights after my long-term rental on a nearby condo expired and my travel companions returned to the US before me. The Mercurio is a perfect place to spend these gaps at the beginning or end of a vacation because it is so social. Although the decor was rather plain, my room was private, safe and quiet. I slept really well. The real strength of the Mercurio is not in its bedrooms but in the public spaces. I always want to spend my waking hours around the pool or out on the town anyway, so I don't worry about the bedroom as much. The pool area, the heart of the complex, is a very inviting place to hang out midday. I had the space almost entirely to myself one afternoon and it felt super indulgent. I met lots of great guys at happy hours and the breakfasts are a real strong suit here. Although I would not choose Mercurio for an extended stay due to the per-night cost, I am pleased to return periodically for these shorter stays. I recognized several repeat customers from past years; I certainly understand the attraction. As is my usual experience at Mercurio, I got excellent service from the entire staff.

Room Tip: I strongly prefer the street side rooms because they get better light and offer more privacy, but th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Gay Fortune 500 US Consultant Here. This Place Saved Our Vacation After 2 Nights At Playa Los Arcos (Aka Playa Los Chit House) Mercurio Gets 5 Stars In My Book. Modern Room, Nice Bar And Pool. Amazing Staff.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank SoleBear
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2013

One of my best friends and I stayed there for 5 days. It was a brilliant choice. As opposed to an all-included resort where one does not have to move at all, just consume guilty pleasures of all sort, Mercurio does not pressure one into that or anything else. There is all-you can eat sumptuous breakfast included in the price, a swimming pool for everyone to use 24 hours a day, a wonderful poolside bar, where wonderful Jorge mixes the strongest Margaritas in Puerto Vallarta, cheerful banter during the happy hour and later, and the wilderness of the gay area of Puerto Vallarta all around. A gem not to miss.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends