“Glad to be back”

Ranked #57 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Glad to be back”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at the Mercurio for a few nights after my long-term rental on a nearby condo expired and my travel companions returned to the US before me. The Mercurio is a perfect place to spend these gaps at the beginning or end of a vacation because it is so social. Although the decor was rather plain, my room was private, safe and quiet. I slept really well. The real strength of the Mercurio is not in its bedrooms but in the public spaces. I always want to spend my waking hours around the pool or out on the town anyway, so I don't worry about the bedroom as much. The pool area, the heart of the complex, is a very inviting place to hang out midday. I had the space almost entirely to myself one afternoon and it felt super indulgent. I met lots of great guys at happy hours and the breakfasts are a real strong suit here. Although I would not choose Mercurio for an extended stay due to the per-night cost, I am pleased to return periodically for these shorter stays. I recognized several repeat customers from past years; I certainly understand the attraction. As is my usual experience at Mercurio, I got excellent service from the entire staff.

Room Tip: I strongly prefer the street side rooms because they get better light and offer more privacy, but th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Gay Fortune 500 US Consultant Here. This Place Saved Our Vacation After 2 Nights At Playa Los Arcos (Aka Playa Los Chit House) Mercurio Gets 5 Stars In My Book. Modern Room, Nice Bar And Pool. Amazing Staff.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank SoleBear
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2013

One of my best friends and I stayed there for 5 days. It was a brilliant choice. As opposed to an all-included resort where one does not have to move at all, just consume guilty pleasures of all sort, Mercurio does not pressure one into that or anything else. There is all-you can eat sumptuous breakfast included in the price, a swimming pool for everyone to use 24 hours a day, a wonderful poolside bar, where wonderful Jorge mixes the strongest Margaritas in Puerto Vallarta, cheerful banter during the happy hour and later, and the wilderness of the gay area of Puerto Vallarta all around. A gem not to miss.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank shuffle81
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had a good time while down in PV. Staff and location makes this hotels one of the best in the area. Clean rooms and a great breakfast in the morning. Jorge at the bar is a big help even if not bar related. I was sick (cold and flu) and Jorge helped out.

Room Tip: You want a pool view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta,Georgia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We just stayed here in February. It is in a great location in the Romantic Zone, just up the street from the new Los Muertos Pier. Close to the gay beach and near many good restaurants. We had booked a king room, there was no room available on first or 2nd floors the day we checked in, so they put us in a double bed room for 2 nights until a lower room was available. We had problems sleeping the first night as the air conditioner above the bed starting leaking and making a horrible noise, then ice started dropping out. the bathroom shower also needed some upgrading. The next morning, we decided to take the king room that was available on the 3rd floor. This was a much better room, almost twice as big as the 2nd floor room with 2 double beds. this room has a king bed with a mini fridge. The shower was better also. It has high ceilings. The room we had was in the corner, away from the noise of the pool. There was some periodic noise from the air conditioning unit rumbling outside of our room. You can tell Hotel Mercurio has seen better days, but they are gradually renovating the rooms. They plan to put in a rooftop bar, but where I have no clue. The breakfast was always great. We had hoped to see the Carnival parade, but it was cancelled by the local government. My only complaint, true of most hotels that advertise as gay friendly, is they have much higher rates than other hotels of similar quality or better.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on 2nd or 3rd floor away from the pool if you need a siesta during the day. P...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DLfromATL
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have stayed at Hotel Mercurio many times. It is always fun. The management and staff is great....It has nice clean rooms, a great breakfast every morning (included), and always a good time in the afternoon at the pool and bar for happy hour.....Great bartender too!!!!!! I'm always feel right at home and I recommend to anyone gay looking to have great times in Puerto Vallarta!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Canfield, Ohio
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The staff is friendly and attentive to your requests. The rooms are very simply furnished with a hostel feel. The location is great and within walking distance to the beach, clubs, restaurants and all the Zona Remantica offerings. They offer a good happy hour and morning breakfast. The breakfast is simple. Their best asset is the location. If this hotel was in the states, you would not stay here. It is out dated and in need of a complete make over.

Room Tip: No fitness center or restaurant. The pool side rooms can experience some noise. Our room was street...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple