“Wedding of my dreams!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Wedding of my dreams!”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

As soon as my husband proposed I knew I wanted to get married in Puerto Vallarta, and I also knew I wanted to have the wedding at the Sheraton Buganvilias. I have stayed at the Sheraton twice before and was always extremely satisfied. The views iare spectacular, the location couldn't be more perfect, and the hotel staff are warm and extremely helpful.

When I had my wedding there, I was very happy at how accommodating the hotel was in making reservations for all my family and friends. From the moment we arrived, we felt very special. The entire hotel staff knew it was our special weekend and made a huge effort to provide anything we needed. The hotel has a very relaxed vibe to it, which I enjoyed tremendously. The food at the hotel restaurants are five star quality and the drinks were great. Each room provides a full view of the ocean and the downtown area as well as the surrounding mountains. As most wedding go, not everything went to plan (weather, bridesmaid not showing up). The staff that were in charge of the wedding arrangements were very professional and helpful with any situation that came up. The wedding could not have been more beautiful, I would not have changed a thing.

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton a few days after for our honeymoon. The hotel staff was very helpful with any arrangements we needed, including renting a car, setting up and excursion, and restaurant reservations. The Sheraton is truly a wonderful place to vacation (and have a wedding!)

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank chrissylovesyoga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Turkish first
Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My family and I were invited to attend a wedding in Puerto Vallarta that was to take place at the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center. Naturally, as all the wedding events were to take place at the hotel, we decided that it would be the best place to stay. And what a great decision that turned out to be!

The first thing one notices is the open lobby that envelops you with the warmth of the ocean breeze and the friendliness of the staff (most of whom, if not all, are perfectly Spanish/English bilingual). The attentiveness of the staff leaves one taken-aback.

When we arrived to our room, the cleanliness of it was welcoming ... and the views of the Bay were simply divine. One can see the entire bay and the beautiful warm waters that surround it.

The proximity of the hotel to the airport and to the center of town is also a big plus. It literally takes 10 minutes to get there from the airport and it's another short taxi ride to the center of town. Of course, the center of town is so close that one can walk there. Walking along the Malecón is truly an amazing experience ... one gets to watch myriad artists create magnificent sculptures from sand ... and one gets to see the permanent art that populates the length of the Malecón. The diversity of food and shopping available in the center of town is great.

The one drawback that I noticed was the continuous push to sell time shares. I am told that is part-and-parcel of staying in a hotel in Puerto Vallarta. So, I looked at it as a mere nuisance rather than an impediment to staying there again should the opportunity to visit Puerto Vallarta arise.

Thoroughly a magnificent place.

• Stayed October 2008
Goteborg
Reviewed May 24, 2009

beach and pool: the pool areas are nice, the beach not nice with very dirty sea water
very bad that if you have a late flight the hotel cannot even offer a shower room (only at the SPA for 50 pesos) if you want to spend the day at the pool as they demand check-out at 12.
hotel: location is fine, the rooms are no more than OK. Gym is very small.

but the worst is the lack of attention of the employees. No smiles and no willingness to help or assist. Even tried to trick people at check out, adding costs to the invoices. (we were a lot of people attending a fireworks symposium and the same happened to many of us). When we asked for a review card the only nice girl we could find went to get it, but still no reaction from this so-called high class hotel. I spend approx 100 nights all over the world in nice hotels and this was certainly the worst experience I have had in many years.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank loingboing
Sherman Oaks
Reviewed May 17, 2009

This has been our 5th trip to Vallarta and to this hotel. The staff is the friendliest. Stayed at the club rooms, very good value. Service, as usual, was good. Good food, good drinks. We liked the new area where you can use their computers and internet while having coffee. We went on a hiking tour, first time we do that... it was fun. And we walked to town every evening, a pleasant stroll.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jim029
Seattle
Reviewed May 15, 2009

My company scheduled a training meeting in Vallarta. I was skeptical about it as I have heard lots of stuff in the news about Mexico. Well, I was wrong.. The meeting was very good and we had plenty of time to play and enjoy Vallarta. Food was delicious and service at the hotel was great. I especially enjoyed the pool area and the jacuzzi. Also, I was able to use my laptop while working on my suntan! And the town was delightful and I felt very safe, even when I ventured throughout town by myself.

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank atomic2009
LA
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My fiancee and I spent there 5 fabulous days. The hotel is very close to town, we walked there every single day. Our room was very spacious and was overlooking the ocean, we could see the whole bay. They had an amazing buffet every morning. The staff was very attentive and nice, particularly that waiter by the pool area, I think his name was Roberto... We are ready to go back... as a matter of fact we learned today that we are going back in November as our good friends are getting married there. Can't wait.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suntan1044
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Room : I had booked an ocean king room but on checking in, was shown to a room on the club lounge level with an outdoor terrace. Naturally I did not complain, just assumed the hotel had given me an upgrade. When I saw the other rooms in this hotel, they were all very old and dated. The lower the floors, the worst it became. When I checked out, to my surprise they wanted to charge me double of what my reservation was confirmed for!! When I complained, the lady from the reservation took my confirmed reservation (make sure you always have that handy with this hotel) and went to check. She came back and explained it was a "mistake" that I was put in the "wrong" room and that she would charge me the cheaper rate. Well you would have thought that was a given for any international hotel chain.

Service - generally OK, but most of the time you have to work very hard at attracting waiters for service. I had tipped about 10% at restaurants since the receipt you sign has an empty space for gratuity, but imagine on checking out, there is a mandatory service charge already per night based on your room rate!! I was never told about this, so it was a bit cheap of the hotel to do that.

Business Centre : The people running the business centre certainly held their hands out for tips!! My photocopying cost 15 pesos and I gave him 20 pesos and he told me he had no change and that is was only 5 pesos, not much money at all. If it is not much money, then why keep it as his tip?

If it were not for the convention that was being held at the hotel, I would not come. It's not really a resort you can relax, it's mostly a convention hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business