“Not What You Expect From A Sheraton”

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Not What You Expect From A Sheraton”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Definately would not recommend this hotel to my friends, family or anyone who asks. The hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds and the pool are gorgeous. But what good is that when the housekeeping is poor, concierge service is sub par and the ala carte restaurant service and food is terrible. Everyday we had to call the concierge because either our room had not been cleaned or no fresh towels or no coffee for the coffee maker or no carafe or no water provided. Calling everyday was certainly a nuisance and we were in fact embarrassed and felt like chronic complainers when all we asked for was the basic expectations i.e. a clean room, drinking water, towels & washcloths. Eventually we complained to our Sunwing reg and it got a bit better, however still something everyday. The Italain restaurant took 3 hours to serve our meal and forgot the appetizers. The Mexican restaurant overcooks the meat and doesn't realize the animal is already dead and doesn't need to be killed again. Room service food was
excellent and the chef who cooks for room service is amazing and should be paid to train the ala
carte chefs on how to cook. Who should be fired???Sorry but our SunWing rep asked that as a joke and honestly it should be the supervisor of housekeeping as there appears to be no service standard and certainly the managers of the ala carte restaurants are sleeping on the job. The conciege's are mediocre to say the least - one day 1 went to book the ala carte restaurant and as I was speaking to the concierge the phone rang and she answered it and then ignored me for 10 minutes and then said
sorry but he comes here all the time-so essentially she made the judgement that I was in no way as
valuable a guest as the telephone caller. The icing on the cake was when we called the concierge the night before and asked if we could have a later checkout because of our late flight-we were told we could
have 2 p.m. and when we asked to speak with a manager we were told there was no manager on duty and it was 7:30 p.m. We asked if the manager could call us in the morning and were told he would. No call. When we went to our room just after 1 p.m. we had been locked out despite being told we could check out at 2 p.m. and a different concierge told us quite rudely "we never allow 2 p.m. checkout". Yet there were other guests poolside who told us they also got 2 p.m. checkout. The best service was in the morning at the buffet restaurant and at pool side. However that is not enough to make me recommend this hotel to anyone I care about or anyone for that matter. If you want good food and good service go to the Riu Vallarta or to Dreams and avoid Sheraton Bouganvillias. Don't worry if you
avoid them, they won't care. That is certainly the impression I was left with. I travel several times a
year and have never once had to complain to a concierge or anyone at a hotel, here it was every single
day. My friend and I were there from Jan.24 thru Jan.31st. First and absolutely last time. Will return to Puerto Vallarta as we have many times before but not to this hotel. Don't want to hear from the manager because the manager did not deign to speak with us while we were there and felt like
unwanted guests so now that we are home and far away it is too late. Will continue to tell our story to all who will listen.

2 Thank Sharron S
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Sharron:
First of all let us thank you about your review, we always learn about our guest’s experiences and words; this won’t be the exception. Please receive our apologize; we are really sorry about everything that made that your stay wasn’t as pleasant as we want to.
Of course we care to listen you and want you to come back for our special treatment; you will always be welcome in our resort. Please let us be your hosts the next time you come back to Puerto Vallarta, let us prove you that you are so much important to us.
Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Turkish first
Altona
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Sheraton Buganvilias and enjoyed every moment. The refreshing pool was enjoyed by young and old alike. Service could be slow at times, but we were never thirsty or hungry. Buffet food was fantastic, the a la carte food had fabulous presentation and was very delicious. The lounge on the main level was always hopping and the servers went out of their way to make you laugh and keep your glass full. Downtown PV was an enjoyable 10 minute walk away and 7 peso bus ride or 40ish peso taxi ride back. The best part, found sea glass on the beach out front of the hotel. Our only regret, is that we didn't stay two weeks!!

Room Tip: Get the upgrade and stay higher up, then you get a fantastic view of the Bay of Banderas and you are...
1 Thank TravelJunkette
Dear Guest from Altona:
Thank you for your review, we appreciate the time you take for doing it. Of course the location of our hotel is perfect; we are about 5 minutes of the airport and 15 minutes (walking) of the Malecón. Because this great location, in our rooms you can see the entire bay and in the morning you can enjoy some whales or dolphins playing around!
Please the next time you come, enjoy our different restaurants and bars; we assure you, you will have a great time there. Please let us be part of your next vacations in Puerto Vallarta and in Sheraton Buganvilias.
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We were at the Sheraton Buganvilias from January 24 to 31 and loved the hotel. The hotel area is beautiful, clean. Nice flowers, trees. Nice room, clean, comfortable bed, splendid view on the ocean. Nice and friendly staff. Lulu (concierge) is incredible. Sweet and efficient! The hotel is very close to the Melancon and the downtown Puerto Vallarta. It was a little walk (about 15 minutes). On a negative note, you don't go there for the beach. It is pretty bad (big rocks). Another negative is the food at the hotel. It was less than average and tasteless...even the desserts! The buffet is VERY small with very little choice. Fruits available for breakfast only. All together, the food is really not good and I tried about everything. Same goes for the 3 a la carte restaurant. Besides those 2 negative points, it was a great hotel. Would I return? I don't know. But I don't regret having been there for 1 week.

Dear Cemoi:
Thank you about your review, we love to hear that you spent a great week with us! It’s great to know that our entire efforts made you comfortable during your vacations. Of course Lulu will receive your words and not only she, all the staff will know about your experience with us.
Please the next time you come back please enjoy our Mexican Fiesta and our a la carte restaurants; we assure you that you will enjoy them a lot.
Let us be your host next time you return to Puerto Vallarta
vancouver
Reviewed February 3, 2014

First off the location is great, if you want a nice beach and a swimmable ocean you should really consider something in Nuevo but then you lose the easy access to the city. The room at the club level
was fine Cristina the lady that took care of it always did a great job and I couldn't have asked for more.
On Cristina's day off Angelica took care of us and did the same great job. Vivianna at the pool never was without a smile even after 9 hours of serving everything from food to drinks to providing ashtrays (yes lots of smokers). Food was fine not exactly gourmet but they have a hell of a baker I can give them that and if you wanted something special all you had to do was ask. Politely, which some of the people I met didn't seem to bother with. For the Club beach chairs a little issue with counting one day
there are only 14 loungers which you have to go to the butler to reserve (23rd floor lounge) and 16 people looking for a seat so go early to claim your spot. Front desk, well probably the only spot where I would say not entirely helpful and not entirely concerned about it.

I found utilizing the other staff for questions and issues was much more productive than the front desk so avoided them entirely.
I've been to quite a few places in Mexico and once we were in place after a bit of a room mix up the week went well if too fast.

We get a little bored with sitting around the pool so usualy head into town. The Sea monkey south of the Malecon over the bridge is a great spot for a one dollar Corona or a 2 dollar Margarita with seating on the beach also great food. Met some amazing people from all over the world spending a couple of afternoons having some great conversations. Thanks Jean, Marie luis and Tim for some great memories.
If you want a stop to try Tequila, the Cervesa Mescal Cantina across the street from the Malecon (north end) is great. Ask the bar tender for the best Tequila and he'll tell you that's the one that you like not the most expensive.

Would I go back? Honestly I'm not sure because I like to try a lot of different hotels. If I were to recommend I think I would say Club level, king without an adjoining room. None of these that I know of have balconies but I found I didn't miss it.

Room Tip: Club level non adjoining room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest from Vancouver:
First of all please let us thank your review; we appreciate your time doing this. Of course we got the best location in the bay, we are near of everything. We are working in our beach in order to make it a swimmable one!
We are sorry about hearing that you don’t find our front desk a helpful one, but we are glad to hear that all the other staff was more productive. We will be taking note about it in order to improve our service and the next time you come back you will notice it.
Hope you can come back in the future and let us be your host in your trip.
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I just got back from a 7 day stay at the Sheraton and we loved it! Great food, nice rooms with an awesome view, and really friendly workers. We drank an awful lot the whole time and didn't feel shunned cause of it (like I felt at other resorts in the past). The city felt perfectly safe too. I'd definatly recommend this
place to anyone going to Mexico , thanks Sheraton !
Trent from saskatchewan

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trentie
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Trent:
We want to thank you this great review, we always appreciate the time that our guests take in order to write some words about our service.
We always give to our guests the best quality in beverages and food, that why you never feel shunned cause them. The next time you come back please try our lobby bar! You will have a great time there.
Thank you for your preference and we invite you to come back to our hotel the next time you can come to Puerto Vallarta.
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've never felt strongly enough about a resort to write a report but I feel compelled to write a review about my experience at this resort. This has been my 10th trip to an all-inclusive resort and 4th time to Mexico. Pulling up to the hotel, I was impressed by the exterior and the lobby was nice. When we checked in, the service was HORRIBLE!!!! Mid-way thru our check in the staff left us to assist another customer who was complaining about their room. He continued to speak with this customer for about 10 minutes. I was tired and trying to check in with my 4 month old who was irritable. No concern. We payed to upgrade to a room with a balcony in the Preferred Guest Floor. There was absolutely NO preferred Club treatment that I could tell. Our first night we got in we sat, ate and were never approached by any staff to ask if we wanted any beverages. This poor service continued. We always had to wait long periods to be waited on. Even getting a glass of water or coffee was near impossible. On our last day we rented a cabana on the beach for $35.00. The set up was nice, lots of towels and a plate of fresh fruit. We thought FINALLY we will get some service. WRONG!!! 10am to 6pm we had a waiter take our order once. I walked to the pool bar and waited for 15 minutes for service while I watched 2 staff behind the bar just chatting to each other. AWFUL. More than once I tried to flag down service staff, only to be ignored. Tipping wasn't the problem either. I was tipping $5-$10 american just for a drink. On all my trips I've never had such poor service.
As I mentioned, I was traveling with my infant. He got really sick with a respiratory illness during our trip. We saw the hotel doctor. She provided us with great and free service & ended up sending us to the hospital. After treatment, the ER doctor told me to keep the baby in the hotel room. I couldn't go into town to buy supplies so I asked for extra water to make formula and was his bottles. We would get 2L of water daily. Despite extra tipping & many requests, we never got extra water. We told our Sunwing rep who went to the front desk with us to request more water and water earlier in the day. He said they promised to bring water right away - 6 hours later we got water. I had to walk to Mega and buy 20L of water. I walked thru the lobby with these 2 10L jugs of water and the bell boys didn't even offer to help me. I do have to say that the room service was good. I had to order in a lot since my baby was sick and the service was good. It did take awhile but the staff that came to my room were always pleasant and tried their best to be quiet if my baby was sleeping.

Lastly, there was construction in the rooms directly above us. There strong smell of paint or paint thinner and at times ever sewage coming into the vents. The our first night we woke up from the foul oder. That morning I requested a room change (remember we paid for an upgrade). We were told to come back to change rooms around 1pm. We packed up everything and went back to the front desk at around 1:30. They told us that the room were switching to wouldn't be ready now until 6pm. Come on!! There is no other room in the whole hotel??? I'm to believe that? We decided to stay in our original room and just keep the patio doors open as to not use the air conditioner to limit the toxins entering our room. The smell stayed away but we still had to deal with the noise of construction happening above us. I'm pretty tolerant and even that was no big deal in comparison to being ignored and treated poorly by the staff.
Overall this was the worst experience as far as service. I'm shocked that Sheraton would have their good name attached to such a bad hotel. The aesthetics were what was expected, nice pools and decent rooms, but the service was so poor it ruined the experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Julia H
Dear Julia:
First of all we are really sorry to hear that you had those problems during your stay in our Resort, one of the goals in our work is to make the dreams of our guests come true… Obviously we didn’t do it with you. Believe me that we are really concerned to hear that you were ignored.
We are upgrading all our rooms in order to give you a better service so that’s the reason that we need to work on them, please receive our apologize for those inconvenience.
We always are learning about our errors and this won’t be the exception, please let us be your hosts the next time you come to Puerto Vallarta in order to demonstrate you that we are the best option in the city.
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Let me start by extending supreme gratitude to all the employees that went out of their way to make our stay all the more amazing, Ignacio (Nacho) Manuel, Edwardo, Vivianna, Candito and to everyone else. I have to say what a terrific staff the Sheraton has on board. We loved that we were within walking distance to down town, and if you don't want to walk back it's a 5$ cab. The hotel its self was beautiful, food was great my husband and I couldn't get enough we didn't even bother with our a la cartes because the buffet was great, room service top notch. Rooms were beautiful, we upgraded and boy was it worth the view. We had a spacious room with the most stunning view of the bay. Waking up and looking out the window to see the dolphins playing in the distance, people horse back riding on the beach, people enjoying the pool, sail boats floating on the water, words can't explain the beauty of enjoying all this in your first waking moments. The vendors on the beach were very sweet and not pushy, if you like henna tattoos talk to Victor, his art is beautiful. Also a must do while in Puerto Vallarta is Rhythyms of the Night, absolutely spectacular just remember to put on bug spray and wear sensible foot wear for walking in nature. Our next visit to Puerto Vallarta we will definitely be staying here again, and can't wait!

Room Tip: Corner suite with ocean view above the 19th floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roxy M
Dear Roxy:
Thank you for your great review! We assure you that they will receive your gratitude words and all the staff will read it too, we appreciate that you take a time after your vacations for doing this.
There are many other activities to do in Puerto Vallarta, next time you come don’t miss Marietas Islands or if you love Rythms of the Night you can go into the Pirate Ship. In the hotel you can have a great experience in our Mexican Fiesta or with a great massage in the beach!
We really hope to see you again in our hotel the next year!!