“Above average experience overall, some big downsides” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard Medina Ascencio 999 | Zona Hotelera las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sunsational Savings
Ranked #28 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Above average experience overall, some big downsides”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This review will be a little long, so if you are looking for the TL:DR version of this ... perfectly acceptable resort with a slightly upscale feel. Beach and Internet are fairly poor but available, food is mediocre, indoor bar is small and timeshare salespeople are a blight. On the upside - pools are beautiful, great location, beautiful views and very pleasant and earnest people abound.

Location - This is centrally located between the airport and Old Town. Others say you can walk to these places, but I think that's a little optimistic. You'll be trudging through a few miles of nothing. Get a cab instead.

Transportation - Cabs are everywhere. They are all Mid 90's Nissan Tsurus (Sentras). Most are clean, all are cheap. Airport to Hotel = 200 pesos (Federales tack on an extra fee). Hotel to Airport = 100 pesos. Around town = 50-70 pesos. Tip 10-20 pesos, all will be very grateful. Busses are nothing (under 10 pesos), my elderly mother got up and used them, I'm sure you can figure it out. There are also newer model cabs, vans and car services. I probably paid $75 total to get 3 people around town constantly for a week. Well worth the fees and cheaper than renting a car.

Roads - A nice highway system from the Airport to the hotel that will take you 15 minutes travel. There's a very old cobblestone system in town. It also floods during heavy rains. It will take you twice as long to go half as far in town.

Weather - I hear the weather is usually nice! I wouldn't know. I got 5 days of clouds and rain. I won't fault the hotel for that. But just know it DOES rain, and it comes on fast and sometimes for hours at a time.

Rooms - We had two rooms, one on the 19th (non-club) and the other on the 22nd (club). The non-club room wasn't updated but still had a gorgeous view, it had twin beds. It was smoking and smelled different, but not bad. The 22nd room was much nicer with one comfy king. No smell. All updated and gorgeous view (they all do). One weird thing, floors start at 12, so for example, 22nd floor was actually 12th floor. Odd. Nobody but suites have balconies, but floor-to-ceiling windows that open fully at the top make the room feel like a giant balcony. Club rooms get access to the club lounge which is AMAZING.

Club Lounge - Free breakfast (hard-boiled eggs, toast, pastries, coffee etc). There is a server who is always very nice. Beautiful views (that you'll never see because somebody took the seats and parks themselves there all day). There are two wired computers (circa 2003) and wifi access. It's all pretty slow but it's all free. At 5, appetizers (buffet leftovers) are served. Nothing special, but again free. I think wine is free too. It's open until 11 and a God-send from the busy lobby and restaurants and hucksters downstairs.

Internet - It SUCKS. You'll get no service sitting on your bed or most places in your room. I was able to get a signal from the pool by taking my iPad closer to the window. There's semi-reliable service in the lobby, club room and by the pool. There's a pay computer room that looked modern.

Pools - Probably the best part of the trip. Two large pools, one for the hotel and one for the time shares (there's nobody checking who's who). The hotel pool is a bit nicer in my opinion with more room because of the lack of Jacuzzi. It also wasn't heated so there's less people. Views can be toward the ocean or the pool itself. A waiter will come along and ask if you want drinks, there is a very loud DJ who will announce useless events. Club music persists all day, sit away from the speakers if you can. The time-share pool was heated and thus more popular because it was colder out. Tons of kids and constant screeching. Jacuzzi is a little disgusting (greyish water). Both have swim-up bars which is a neat novelty. All-inclusives will sit there all day but there's always plenty of room. Hardly anybody swims before 10am but the seats get saved with towels as early as 7am. If you want to do laps, get there early.

Beach - Beaches are actually nicer than some in the area. In town, for example, it's VERY crowded and filled with roaming vendors who will pester you. Locals stay mostly away because it's the end of the beaches (there's a derelict hotel next door that they frequent because the beach is built up with no patrons). Sand, as you probably read before, is soft at the top, gravel in the middle and coarse in the water. Not exactly pristine white beaches with crystal blue waters. I would research other cities if that's what you want. Beaches were very underwhelming. A jet-ski guy will patrol the area looking for renters. I didn't see kayaks, snorkels or anything else.

Time-Share People - BEWARE THE TIME-SHARE PEOPLE. Aurora in particularl is annoying as she pesters you with coupons and "free" breakfasts. She and a dearth of salespeople will descend on you like a plague at either the desk beside the gym or the car rental counter. Frankly, it's downright shameful Sheraton (SPG) is affiliated with such scum. They will prey on you at ALL times. It's high pressure sales from the 80s. It's almost enough to knock down the ratings to 3 or less stars. You think the airport "shark tank" guys are a problem? Ha! At least you can walk away from them. These people never stop and they do it every time you walk by. Don't even acknowledge them, I know the locals didn't. They looked down on them as the pure leeches they are. I was the idiot who said "Hola" the first time out and they basically chased me down the hall. I finally said, do you mind if I just go to gym?

Service - THE REST OF THE STAFF ARE AMAZING. The bell hops, check-in, wait staff, bartenders, and concierge are all incredible, friendly, helpful people who should all be commended. I tipped them all well and they made up for all the rest. Top-notch in my books. My only complaint is that I noticed the check-in crew will make up things and not follow SPG protocol. We had to fight for normal platinum level amenities and our green points which they made a very big deal of.

Food - Mediocre at best, think Old Country. Far overpriced for ala carte (we didn't have all inclusive). Pretty standard cheapo buffet, burgers, nachos, hot dogs at lunch, just a tad bit better at dinner. Very little Mexican food. Frankly, I had better meals at the boardwalk from the street vendors. Prices are really high too. There's a few "high end" restaurants at the resort which didn't look very appetizing, I think it's all the same kitchen. There are thousands of restaurants in the city, venture out and try something new. We did and had some of the best meals ever, Vista Grill in particular was amazing.

Guests - This was 75% Mexican families. They are mostly upscale, some blue-collar. Second are Canadians followed by Americans. Hardly any young couples, but there were a ton of kids. If your dream is dancing to tehcno music by the pool at 4am surrounded by 20-somethings .. this is not the place for you. We didn't have kids, but my older mother was with us so I wanted something quiet. It was perfectly fine for her and us (people in their mid 30s just looking for a quiet PV experience).

Conclusion - There was a lot of complaining up there, but the goods simply outweighed the bad by a large margin. Just a few more thoughts -- don't worry about the airport sales people, one 'no gracias' and you never deal with them again. If you go to the boardwalk, you will be hounded by store owners. Even looking at them elicits a conversation. It's all a bit kitschy and their wares are all junk. I didn't find one authentic thing (all looked China made and started to repeat itself quickly). We went on two excursions - Rhythms of the Night and to Yalapa beach via water taxi. Both were fun in their own way. You should do *something* and those are as good choices as anything else. All in all I liked PV, but probably won't ever be back. I hate vendors, I loathe salespeople and I love long meandering quiet white beaches with crystal blue water. This had far too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Room Tip: Get the club rooms. Take your device to the room window to get some internet access.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank John A
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear John:
Thank you about this detailed review of our hotel, we will be taking note about all your comments in order to improve our services and facilities.
In the Rooms section, we are refreshing them in floor order; we are working in getting our rooms nicer and more comfortable for you. In the Club Lounge the wine is free.
The internet will be much better in a month; we are working in new antennas for having a better connection.
Please let us be your hosts the next time you want to come to Puerto Vallarta and let us demonstrate you that we learn from all your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in December 2013. The most memorable characteristic was the quality of the staff. Every employee was so friendly and helpful. Jacobo, the bellman, was particularly helpful, assisting us with some issues with our luggage. Every staff member we saw greeted us warmly. We were asked for feedback. There was just a real focus on guest service.
The beach was a disappointment, due to the rocks and undertow. But the ocean views from our room (and apparently all the rooms) were spectacular!
Our room was very comfortable and attractive. Notably, the bed was very, very comfortable!
The pool in the condo area was great.
We had breakfast and poolside snacks, which were fine, but I can't really speak to restaurant quality. We prefer to try local restaurants, and we particularly enjoyed the Trio restaurant in the old town area.
We usually prefer smaller local hotels in the downtown area or on the beach. In this case we were happy we stayed at the Sheraton, which was fairly close to the old town area. The area seems a little run down, but the hotel is very secure and well maintained.
The personal attention made all the difference.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest:
First of all, thank you for taking a moment to write this great review for us. We are always greeted to hear that you stay with us was comfortable, and that our facilities were fine for you. We love to read that due to our location you can discover many things of our beautiful Puerto Vallarta.
We will be waiting for you in your next trip to our city.
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I have been going to this Resort for six (6) years and have always had great service,enjoyed the view and have had wonderful service. We have made friends with many of the staff over the years. This year's trip was no exception. A special thank you to: Ramon, Rodrigo, Rosalio, Viviana (pool Service), Eduardo, Mily, Isis and Anjeclica (lobby bar) for making our vacation so relaxing and fun! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Request a Ocean View w/Balcony
1 Thank Lynda A
Dear Lynda:
Thank you for your review, we assure that they will receive your great words. We really love to hear that you are returning every year since 6 years ago!! We are so glad to know that you always have a great time with us.
We will be waiting for you again.
Aguascalientes, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We love to stay here since we were young. The pool area is fantastic. The rooms are really confy. The beach is a little too rocky...but, it is nice. The malecon area its 10 mins away walking. The morning buffet its delicious. A taxy cab to the malecon its only 50 pesos, you will get to the main street in 5 minutes max.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Ricky:
Thank you about your review, we really thank you for returning every time you have a chance. We really love to see you again and that you share your special moments with us.
Lethbridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a 10 day all inclusive stay at the Sheraton. This was our second trip to PV and we were really looking forward to returning. Although nothing was outright horrible, there were a number of minor annoyances that added up.

When checking in, the young man at the desk seemed rather disinterested in helping us and did not give any information regarding our inclusive stay. He also obviously did not even look at our reservation and put us in a room with no view and 2 double beds after we had booked (and paid for) a room with a king bed and a ocean view. When we complained and showed our reservation we were moved to the room we paid for.

Our new room had the mini bar we were told was included in our package, but it was locked. Once we got it unlocked, we had to ask for it to be restocked even though we were told at the front desk that it was restocked daily. It was restocked twice during our 10 day stay.

Overall, we found the service lacking. We did have one great waiter at the restaurant (Oliviero, I think) who would watch for us once he realized we did tip! But during more than one meal we were basically completely ignored by the staff. The food is basic and there is not a huge selection, but luckily the hotel is close to town and there are tons of great places to eat.

As expected, the time share push was a pain, but we now know to ignore, ignore, ignore! Trust me, they say 90 minutes but it never is! We did not attend our invitation to learn more and no matter what they say the time is not worth the "free gifts"!

We really felt like this hotel is just that . . . A hotel. If you are looking for a resort experience, I would not recommend it. If you just want a place to sleep, have a quick breakfast and enjoy the sights and restaurants in PV, it works.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kerry:
We are really sorry to give you that poor impression; we really are a resort in Puerto Vallarta. We want you to return with us and notice that every comment you made, was correctly attended and we are improving our services.
We want to thank your comments, because it makes us to improve more and more.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We spent 8 days at the Buganvilias in Puerto Vallarta and despite rain half the time, we had the best time ever and would go back again. Every single staff member treated us like we were the only guest. The enthusiasm, the cheerfulness, the "hola"s and the help were more than what we expected. My son is in a wheelchair and I expected difficulties... instead I received extra help every day. The only difficulty was with the internet which was sporadic at best... but on the other hand, that kept us from wasting time on things we could do when we went home. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: We had a wheelchair accessible room and for anyone with challenges walking would love this. Walk in...
Dear Eileen:
It’s always a pleasure to receive and help you in our resort. We are glad to hear that you had a great time with us and we hope you are thinking to return with us!
In the Internet point, we are working in order to have a better connection for you.
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Sheraton Bunganvilias and thoroughly enjoyed it. My group and I had the all inclusive option and were treated very well during our stay. The staff is AMAZING! Every single staff member went out the their way to say "Hola" and give a smile when you walked by. Special mention to Lulu at the concierge desk, Ricardo from the activity pool, Ignacio, Javier and Rodrigo from the pool bar and of course Milly at the lobby bar! They all made our stay wonderful.

Great location, close to the Malecon and old town. Walked most days to get there but also opted for the city bus. Very easy to take with bus stops right outside the hotel.

Spent a lot of time by the pool and swim up bar. Waiters take your drink order right from your pool chair (best to order 2 at a time) Music is played throughout the day and a lot of activities are going on. (water aerobics, tequila volleyball, etc) I like to read and did not find it loud or distracting to do so.

The hotel is very clean. Every morning, staff would sweep up around the pool and make sure pathways were clear. Rooms were check on in a timely manner and there was even turn down service which I did not necessarily need but it was a nice gesture.

The buffet was pretty generic. The food was good but there wasn't much change in dishes throughout the week. The Sunday brunch did offer more items. The Mexican al la carte was very good, so good we went twice! Also ate a few times on the downtown. There are a lot of great restaurants with good prices and drink specials.

Yes, there are people selling time shares in the lobby. The 'Bunganvilias' part of the resort has time shares and they are there trying to sell those ones specifically. I did not get bothered by anyone and simply replied "No, thank you" when asked if I need help or wanted a "free tour". All it takes is a little courtesy.

It was a great experience! Thank you to all the staff for the great hospitality.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor right above the lobby bar. We opted for a king bed and balcony vs. a smal...
Dear Jessi:
You don’t have to thank the hospitality; we always glad to receive you in our hotel. We really like to hear that you had a great time with us and hope you are thinking in return to Sheraton Buganvilias.
We want to thank the time you take for writing this great review