“A nice surprise”

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I were at the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort from Dec 15 - 22, 2013. We booked the all inclusive package and were pleasantly surprised. The food and drinks were very good. The beach is not really great but I think the pools make up for that. The staff was incredible and the service was great. No complaints there. We were in Club Class but I'm not sure I would recommend spending a ton of extra money for this. You really didn't get any spectacular perks but if you are a Starwoods rewards member(we are) you can appreciate having the little extras you get with all Sheraton properties.

It seems that a majority of the rooms face the ocean so I don't think there is a bad room. We were on the 22nd floor (which is actually the 12th) and the view was amazing, don't miss the sunsets. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would say that the taps needed to be replaced they were super old and hard to turn on and off.

The location is perfect. We were about 15 - 20 min walking to the Malecon and we felt very safe walking around PV. Cabs were very affordable if you are out too late and don't want to walk back to the hotel. There are many good restaurants in PV and we went to quite a few. It was still the slow time there so there were lots of good deals still otherwise I've heard it can be expensive.

I want to say a special thanks to Miriam at the lobby bar - she was great . She helped us play a practical joke on a friend back home on the phone - she was a good sport and a great lady.

Really the only negative things are the time share people - but hey that's Mexico - they are everywhere. It's hard to get away from them. And every time you order anything a drink/food etc you have to give your room number even though you have a bracelet color coded to indicate you are all inclusive. The problem is that there are so many different colored bracelets because there are so many ways you can stay at this hotel. I understand why they feel the need to do this but what a hassle for the staff and for the guests. Everyone we spoke with was annoyed by this. I'm sure that they can come up with a better system for the people who are all inclusive.

I would definitely recommend this hotel/resort.

Room Tip: i think all the rooms have a pretty good view so really it's whether you would rather be high up...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellemore
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Ellemore:
Thank you for visiting us! We really appreciate your comments and the time you take for doing them; we always are looking for the comfort of our guests. We really want to see you again in any chance you have to come to Puerto Vallarta.
Greetings

Write a ReviewReviews (3,863)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Just returned from 7 nights at the Buganvillas resort in Puerto Vallarta. We have 2 teenagers that travelled with my wife and me. One of the reasons we picked this hotel was the location, close to the Malecon and ability to get to restaurants for a $4 to $5 dollar USD cab-ride + the average rate per night was great so we got two rooms -- which were supposed to be adjoining with one King and two doubles. They were not because they were not available -- and most of the adjoining room options on a Starwood preferred floor would be doubles. Ok.. not the end of the world -- but if the kids were younger, it WOULD be a major issue..

Overall, the grounds are very nice, location is great and a good number of the Staff stand-out as truly professional and caring. The biggest challenge that we figured out with this location is that the crowd / guests staying here were not really our peers. Let's just say that there were lots of tattooed "guests" to see walking around; an abundance of smokers EVERYWHERE (I mean in the restaurant, by the pool, in the lobby bar.. everywhere. nothing is non-smoking. I like a nice cigar, but not during a meal and not blowing it onto other people. The Sheraton is catering to what appears to be a blue collar crowd that enjoy an all you can eat buffet followed by the promise of another free meal by attending a 90 minute timeshare tour. I'm not knocking it.. it's just not for us.

That said, there were some great things going on here.. but of course some not so good.

The good: Location, Location, Location. PV has some of the world's best restaurants. Unfortunately, none are in this Hotel -- but they are close by. I would not take the all inclusive food plan at this hotel because PV is all about great restaurants. And when we did eat at the Sheraton, we ordered off the menu for a hot and freshly made omelette or burger by the pool, etc. With all the amazing food choices in downtown PV, stay here if you are going to go into town for nice dinners. Otherwise, if you're going all inclusive, I would look at a few more places first and then make a decision.

Breakfast: Off the menu is ok. Service is fairly good.. moments of brilliance can be found in the Villarta restaurant. One comment... these guys do need to ditch the ketchup packets. American's like their ketchup. I personally would not eat the buffet.. too blah and institutional looking. They should update their breakfast menu a tad. French toast was good says the kids. Fresh squeezed OJ stands out too. Pico de gallo is very good.

Lunch: The female servers by the pool are excellent. They hustle and run and bring your food as quick as they can and the burgers, quesadillas etc. are reasonable and fresh. Hugo makes a great margarita -- and 12 to 1 is 2 for 1 happy hour! A nice mid-day touch.

Pool: The towel ticket thing is absurd.. but overlooking that, we only had 1 incident where we put towels down and someone put their stuff on our seats. We "kindly" explained that a towel on the seat means it is taken. Again -- you're dealing with all kinds of people here.. some just really don't know better.

Biggest issue with the pool is what appears to be blackish colored stains on the grout on the stairs and in several large areas by the rocks. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was algae. They need to attend to the pool. Noticed a tile missing here and there on the stairs too.

Rooms: Ok… we had TWO rooms. I saw both. They were reasonably clean and I get the whole decor/style that Sheraton was shooting for… sort of a minimalist white-out with wood accents. Well, I'm here to pronounce that it doesn't work. The result is sort of like a dorm room that's white-washed. White cabinets, white walls, white floors, white bedspread, white sheets, white curtains, white white white white white white white… (get the point?) What's needed is colored pillows, some art on the walls or some fabric . It's just a white out of epic proportions. Faucets etc are clearly dated and don't "sparkle" like they should. Hard to turn faucets with the 80's hexagonal design. Bathroom cleaning could be better. Black something or other around the tub spout.

Upscale Restaurants: There are "pop-up" theme restaurants outside, offering fish, italian or mexican themes. The other restaurant is Gaviotas. Perhaps I'm just more observant than most, but Gaviotas is fairly empty and it's likely because the menu does not match the crowd. I would completely scrap the Gaviota's menu and turn it into a Steak and Seafood restaurant that more mainstream with flexible menu options. The "gourmet" focus is a huge disconnect from the all you can eat buffet type crowd. Makes no sense.

Other: Tried the massages -- they were EXCELLENT. Nice wine selection on premises for dinners. The coupons they give you at sign don't really work for any wine you would actually choose. We tried it. Confusing. Did work for SPA.

TimeShare: I am going to say this very clearly. There is entirely too much of an overpowering emphasis on the timeshare sales. there is a whole desk right next to the elevators where you are eyeballed and verbally mauled as you go about your business. If I WAS going to buy, this is NOT how I would even begin to engage in the process. Perhaps it's working for them, but it comes off as cheap desperation with deceptive trickery to get you to talk with them. That's NOT what a resort experience is all about. I do not appreciate male and female SALEPEOPLE sizing up me, my wife and my children as I walk to the pool, dinner or whatever. Leave me alone. Is that clear?

Quite frankly, the Sheraton should read the collective reviews here and focus on the Hotel and not worry so much about accommodating the timeshare. If everything was on the par it should be , people would be asking to buy -- rather than being corned.

Overall, we would likely not return unless we read about some major changes or improvements. I would be more inclined to spend more and stay further out between the Sheraton and Marina.

That's the feedback for now. Hope this helped.

Room Tip: Sheraton Preferred Guest floor is fine. Paying for more is not worth it.
2  Thank PhillyFamilyofFour

Dear Guest from Philly:
First of all, we want to thank this lines reviewing our hotel, we always read them in order to improve our services. We had read your comments and we will be making the changes that are needed in order to offer a great service for you.
The pool is always clean and neat, we will be attending your comments in order to find what happen and what the problem that you are reporting is; Thank you about the lines of our meal service, we always love to serve you and draw a smile in your face.
We hope to see you again in our resort and give us the chance to show you that we have changed the issues that were bothering you.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Well I have travelled to Mexico since 1969 and throughly enjoyed myself everytime I go but this time was the finest. I have never had all inclusive but I did this time and it didnt let me down. From when I checked in and was greeted at the front lobby by someone taking my suitcases from the bus , to the frontdesk person checking me in , everything went perfectly. Up to my room where the bellhop was waiting for us too , Jose our butler with a tray of champagne, yes I said butler lol. He was so helpful and knowledgable. After the first day he never forgot my name and had 116 rooms to take care of . Great great person. The bed in our room was so comforable it was like home . The beds to me in Mexico have always been hard and uncomforable. The huge palapa roof hall where we at was great and the service was first class . We were always catered to by all the staff but especially by Oliviero, he made breakfast special. The pool area was always spotless and friendly , from the towel guy with his animal creations made out of towels to the staff at the swimup bar and the poolside waiters . Our hat goes off to Ronaldo who never forgot what kind of beer I drank and always kept it full ,thank you. And of course Marium who worked in the lounge and also took such good care of us from beer to pizza to taking our picture and also never forgot what kind of beer we drank . She was a very entertaining lady that worked so hard. The security staff that always said hi to us at the front gate and made us feel so welcome. The staff on the grounds that keep there resort so prestine you do a excellent job and made my stay so nice. And finally to Zaret our housekeeper , this women worked so hard and kept our room spotless,was always so friendly and nice and alway had a big smile on her face once again thank you Zaret. My girlfriend was alway afraid to go but you all made her trip so perfect she cant wait to go back . If I forgot someone Im so sorry but as a team there you sure put out a good product . Well done Sheraton Buganvillas .Nov.16-30 2013 Room 2330

Room Tip: Try for the Club Level top floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bandit3999

Dear Bandit:
Thank you for taking a little of your time for making this great review for us, we are glad to hear that you had a great time in our resort. We love to make your day a great one, that’s why we always have a smile in our face.
We really want to see you again in our resort the next time you have the opportunity to return to Puerto Vallarta.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Just to let you know of the super, fantastic service of Bell Boy Jesus Rodriques, very friendly, with the widest smile, always ready to give a helping hand. Actually not only him but the check in people were fantastic, the food, the servers, the room service, the maids, you name it all was excellent with superior service! I definitely will come to SMILE AT SHERATON BUGANVILLIAS RESORT AND CONVENTION CENTRE ......and yes definitely service with a SMILE from the best Bell Boy around with his friendliest smile around at any time of the day or night! Hope to be soon in February or April! God bless all you wonderful, amazing people at Sheraton Buganvilias! Denise Cote, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Room Tip: The view from the twenty-first Floor is the Best!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Denise C
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Denise:
Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear that you were attended as you deserve it; we always come to our hotel with a big smile because we enjoy serving you and having you with us.
We really will be waiting for you the next trip you have to Puerto Vallarta.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

When we arrived we were treated great at the check in and the bell boy, but we were put into the time share units instead of the hotel since they were busy. The lay out looked great because it had a separate bedroom with one king size bed, a kitchen and sitting area. we were three adult women, so two shared the bed and I got to sleep on a couch-thing, which was very uncomfortable. The kitchen had the old tile counter and had ants. Anything you put on the counter was covered with ants in minutes, we reported it to the maid and she gave use two fresh dish towels. I made the mistake of going to the time share presentation, i was told it would be 90 minutes and it took me 3 hours to get out of it, and I was told I would get a free dinner for two and never got it. After escaping the time share ( just a bit of advice, I was really interested until your agents became so pushy that they pissed me off. So you lost someone who may have thought about it and came back to buy because you did have great prices!) we were brought to a desk to buy the tickets for Ritmos de la Noche (excellent!) and waited and hour without getting recognized by the two girls at the desk. When we got to the front of the line we were told we could book any day before two o'clock. Duh, we wanted to make reservations that's why we were in the line. So slowly we booked the reservation, but were told to come back to pay because they only had one phone and the other agent was using it. Thank you Sheraton, you ruined a whole day for me! I did go back to the room and called guest services to complain and amazingly I was able to complete the reservation in ten minutes. Beautiful resort, great restaurants, but you need to get your act together! This was not what I expected from the Sheraton and I don't think I will come back to stay again. :(
I was in room 1868 on Dec. 21 to 24, please buy some Raid and take care of the ant problem.

Room Tip: Try to get a remodeled room, be careful if they stick you in the outdated uncomfortable time share s...
1  Thank meli23238

Dear Meli:
We are sorry about hearing about all the inconveniences that occur during your stay with us; we always come to the resort with only one goal, make your dreams come true. We appreciate the time that you take for doing this review and we assure you that we are going to make all the changes needed to improve our services.
Please let us be your host in the next trip you have to Puerto Vallarta and you will find those improvements.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I booked this hotel partially based on many good reviews on this site, and boy am I sorry. I am writing this from the very hotel I'm about to review. This is our first time in Puerto Vallarta and we cannot wait to get back home. It's really too bad that we ended up at this hotel because I have a feeling that if we had stayed somewhere nicer, we really would like Puerto Vallarta. It also sucks that we shelled out a lot of money for this kind of experience and used our precious vacation time.....

I'll base my review on the condition of the room, cleanliness, staff, food and the beach.

1. The room - this hotel is old, and even though the lobby is nice and updated the rooms are not! You'd think that the hotel management would invest in some new toilet seats (these are old and disgusting), but no, these toilet seats are old, yellow, and just yuck! We are staying at the hotel by the way and not the time shares. Also, the dresser smells like mold - I mean it smells so much that we are not putting our clothes in there. There are no balconies, the curtains do not properly block out the light, and everything in the room is just run down. There are no refrigerators or microwaves (as an FYI for the US tourist who are accustomed to having those in pretty much all hotel rooms these days). When we made our reservations, we requested a non-smoking room (we are non-smokers plus we have a 5 y/o son). We also paid extra money to have the view of the ocean. Well, if you are a non smoker, you have only 3 or 4 floors that are designated for non-smokers, and those floors are on the lower levels, so even though you are paying extra money for the view, you will not get a good view because you are on the lower levels.

2. Cleanliness - this alone is the reason I cannot wait to get back home (we got an Expedia package that we cannot cancel or change - lesson learned there as well!) Back to the toilet - I do not think that they ever use any bleach or toilet bowl cleaner here. There are black, yes black, circles around where the water enters into the toilet. And, not to be disgusting, but I think there is some old caked excrement there as well. I have asked the cleaning lady to really, really clean the toilet, but when we got back, the toilet bowl was not cleaned. Then, the floors - I think that the only kind of cleaning that goes on here is the very superficial, the surface only kind of cleaning. I had to ask twice that someone mop (not just sweep) the floor and even though they said they did, I'm not convinced. And, the top of the dresser has some kind of glassy surface and in the daylight you can see 20 different marks from the bottom of the glasses/drinks. Clearly, this has not be washed of in god knows how long. You'd think that they would used Windex to clean the dresser surface and the mirror on the bathroom door (which is full of marks and streaks that just a once-over Windex would clean). Overall, I do not feel comfortable here - I just feel yuck... :-(

3. Staff - it's been hit or miss but more miss than hit. We got here on Christmas day and the receptionist was not the friendliest person. He clearly did not want to be there. But, then again, it was Christmas day and it was late, so I understood and thought it was an exception. But, unfortunately, it was more than once that I got the impression that the staff would give fake smiles (but were really hating their jobs and having to interact with me) or some of them were borderline rude. For example, I went to the concierge to ask a few questions about how things work with our all-inclusive plan, and he was clearly bored giving me the answers - it was like pulling teeth. Then, his phone rang, and in the middle of explaining something to me, he picked it up and starting cozily chatting (I did not understand because I do not speak Spanish). That was just rude. I felt blown off a few more times and now I'm to a point where I don't even ask anymore - I just want to go home. But, the bartenders are very nice and some of the wait staff as well.

4. Food - the first night we got here it was past midnight so only the room service was available. We ordered burgers and guacamole and chips. The food was gross. The burgers were cold and were clearly leftovers from earlier in the day. The guacamole was no longer green but almost dark brown/black from sitting around. The main restaurant at the hotel is really no good. There is almost no choice of healthy food and even the bad food, which is supposed to taste good, does not. So far this restaurant has not served any authentic Mexican food but mainly burgers, spaghetti, meatballs, lasagna, beef stew, etc. There is a fancy restaurant here that has excellent food, but it's very expensive and if you have an all inclusive deal, you can dine there only once. The bottom line - we do not look forward to our next meal here (not really what a vacation should be like).

5. Beach - if you care to have a nice beach on your vacation in PV, do not come here. The beach here is small and crappy. It is rocky and there is only a small patch of sand before you enter into the water. The water is not blue but murky and you cannot see anything (let alone go snorkeling). There are two pools here that are pretty nice, so that is a saving grace. But, I was really hoping to have a nice beach experience in PV - I guess I did not do my research, so I'm warning you that if you care about the beach, definitely, definitely find another hotel!

Room Tip: Stay Away From This Hotel
3  Thank OceanicM

Dear Oceanic:
We are really sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our service, of course our facilities are not brand new but we always are improving them in order to offer a great relax and service for you.
About your toilet, we can tell you that we have made a big improvement in our facilities in order to improve the rest of our guests.
Please the next time you return to Puerto Vallarta, give us the chance to show you that we are improving daily and learning of our errors.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in December using Starwood Points before heading to the St Regis in Punta Cana for 4 nights. Overall, not a bad hotel for the price they charge for rooms. We were upgraded to an ocean view room on one of the Starwood floors (however, the upgrade came with queen beds instead of one king and was a smoking room--but you really wouldn't notice and I'm super sensitive to smoke)....the view was nice. The room was pretty basic...no patio or nothing elaborate, but overall, clean, comfortable, and nicely sized. SOme people argue "you don't spend any time in your room on vacation, so who cares"...we actually do spend a lot of time in our rooms reading, relaxing, listening to the ocean..etc....so we would have benefitted from a patio and just more "luxury" features.

PROS: The pools were large with tons of space to spread out. Didn't swim in the ocean b/c the beach is pretty rocky. The hotel was not too crowded and had free parking which was nice. Check-in was easy and staff there were friendly. Great location...we walked EVERYWHERE. It was safe even late at night and taxis are all over the place if you don't want to walk.

CONS: Breakfast buffet was seriously expensive for a hotel like this (I want to say around $45 US for 2 people) and the food was just not very good (that being said, the staff were awesome)! We also ordered some guac/chips and fries at the pool as well as a few drinks.....meh...prob would not order again. We ate all other meals outside the hotel.

Another HUGE minus was people IN THE HOTEL trying to sell vacation rentals thru Sheraton at every corner and in every booth. The lack of information that did NOT just direct us to a program trying to sell us a vacation rental (but they STRESS they are not timeshares--!!!) was VERY VERY annoying. Everywhere you turn and almost any question you ask if answered biased to a company the employee or the hotel gets a kick-back from (I must have 10 cards for this seafood restaurant). I hate not getting honest advice where to eat/what to do at a hotel (which is one of the reasons we stay mostly at 5 star properties like St Regis...you avoid this behavior all together)
. SOme people may enjoy spending 3 hours at a "presentation" for a "free breakfast" (NOT free, my vacation TIME is worth money), but we don't...and for that reason, I would likely not return here.
Another con--- our credit card blocked on a fraud suspicion (my fault, forgot to tell them we were going overseas). They have a number on the back to call collect. We were having trouble dialing out and asked the hotel operator to help (several times). Again, normally we do stay at hotels that charge a lot more upfront so we may just be used to "pre-paying" for staff services such as assisting us with reaching our credit card company, but the staff at the Sheraton were not helpful. They charged us for each outgoing phone call and just did not go out of their way to assist us when they repeatedly told us the phone number listed on our card "didn't work". (The St Regis later explained to us you need to dial a different code before certain toll-free numbers to get them to work AND they didn't charge us "long distance" for making the call at the front desk). My husband went up and down to the front desk several times and finally, someone provided him a generic number to Visa which we used our cell phones to call and got the ordeal straightened out. Pretty stressful and quite frankly, the staff just did not come thru on this one.

Lastly, the "towel card at the pool" thing. What a weird and inconsistent system. I guess it is in place so people don't steal towels (which are by no means worth stealing...very basic thin beach towels). Some of the towel attendants let you have only one towel (so you can cover your beach chair but have nothing to dry off with), others let you have whatever you want, some give you back the wrong number of towel cards when you return the towels...the whole thing is a hot mess and seems entirely ineffective and annoying. Are that many towels really "Saved" from this system?

Ok...enough venting...overall, the hotel was fine, especially to a night or two and to kill time. If you are looking for a more basic room with good pools and close proximity to town, this place will do.

Room Tip: Ocean view was nice...high floor, but NO balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Teresa567

Dear Teresa:
Thank you for your great review, we always learns how to improve our services in order to be your best option the next time you come to Puerto Vallarta. We always come to work with one thing in mind… make your wishes come true, so every time you need something please let us know and we will be glad to do it.
We hope to see you again in our resort