“Unique All Inclusive !”

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #32 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We booked a two week all inclusive package through Air Transat vacations (Jan.28-Feb.11) to the Sheraton Buganvilias Hotel.

We were thrilled to seea Sheraton chain hotel advertised at a very good deal. I believe this is there second year testing the waters of all inclusive crowd. We really were anxious to stay here.

The grounds were lush with a diverse plant collection, keep checking the activities board, they have a guided nature walk.

I couldn't have been happier with the ocean view from our 7th floor room. Wall to wall and cieling to floor windows to watch the day dawn and sun set. Every morning I made a pot of coffee and we sat for 60 minutes, watching the massive Caribbean splendor make its way toward the Marina.
We were very lucky to see humpback whales and dolphins from our room 8 out of 14 days, what was a thrill and highlight to the trip. At the end of the pool day 4:00 pm ish we would grab a coke cola or beer from our in room mimi bar and sit for a good 1 1/2 hour again.

The bed was very comfortable, (for a "Mexican bed") as good as the Riu's we've stayed at, or Occidental's.

The buffet was limited, not bare bones but not a main event like other all inclusives.
The cereal is on the counter, the cereal bowls and milk but no spoons. The table is not set with tea spoons either. You have to try to get the waiters attention, usually 5-10 minutes to get a spoon. This went on each and every day of all 14 days, it became very aggravaiting and annoying.
Also trying to get one of the multiple wait staffs attention to get my second cup of coffee every morning annoyed me to no end.
They should get a coffee machine or cappucino machine so guests can serve them selfs. They seem to always be walking here and there and never really doing anything. They would never survive working at other hotels where service level is much higher. They only work in sections so can't help you if its not there section. Why can't the Captain grab a pot and go table to table offering coffee.

The unique feature of this all incluive hotel,(which I've never come across or heard about befor) is that if you look at the buffet and nothing appeals to you, you can ask for the menu and order from the restuarant menu, breakfast, lunch (avocado halves with tuna salad) and dinner. What a wonderful concept. It was a redeeming factor. We ordered the garlic shrimp dinner three times and chicken consome which was actually chicken and rice and very good, and carrot cake with ice cream for desert.

Another bonus was the Sunday bruch and Thursday night Fiesta night. Extremely good added value to the all inclusive plan. They also made an effort to have live music in the lobby bar and marimba players at "La Villitas" (Buffet) for breakfast.
I agree with other reviews the food service is hit and miss about 40/60. The pool bar sevice was good, and honorable mention goes to Adan and Omar.

I agree also with previous reviews of the cold front desk/ reception staff. Where is that warm friendly Mexican hospitality. The waiters at the Fiest have beautiful big smiles. Also one guy at the concierge desk was extremely unwilling to help, like pulling teeth to get information the first night we arrived on what restaurants we can eat at and location. In contrast we met Lordes (LuLu) a few days later at the concierge desk and were blown away by her.

We had 30C sunny days, a good bed, scenery, food what more can you ask for. It was a relaxing and restfull vacation.

There were two us travelling together.

Room Tip: If you open your window the a/c stops, it's electronically tripped. Ask for non smoking room as...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,857)

Reviewed February 19, 2012

My name is Johanne Chevrier Scallon and I would recommand this hotel because it is well situated, it is very clean and the staff is incredible:
The beautifull Rosa at the bar is so nice and the service she offers is fisrt class! Adelaido at the restaurant also knows very well what he is doing he is also very competent in what he do and makes you feel at home, also Victor at the snack bar at lunch as the same qualities and Efrain ( I hope I have his name correctly!) at the front desk is also very polite and will get you what you need. Overall because of all these nice and so qualified people we had a marvellous time! I was there with my family ( 6 adults) and we all want to go back next year because of the warmth and impeccable service of these people! Thanks to all of you we really appreciate your excellent service!!!! Sheraton Buginvillas is an ecellent hotel because of all of you guys!!!!

Room Tip: Take the club level room, it's an "all inclusive" that you won't regret, you'l...
2  Thank Johanne C
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My family has been using our time share purchased when some 17 years ago when I was just a young lad. I'm glad to say that we are still using the same package purchased all of those years ago, it's an investment that has been used by every member of my family.

I like to use the Sheraton as our home-base when coming to PV. Generally my partner Rachel and I backpack to the Island of Yelapa for an overnight hiking/primitive camping experience, as we spend most of our days taking in the sights and eating at many of the restaurants in Old Town. Hopefully one day we will be making the investment ourselves once our careers take shape. She works for a major State University and I'm a Graduate student.

Overall, the amenities are nice, but don't expect too much by way of internet. Leave that stuff back in the States. Spa treatments are available, but probably not worth it. Given the resort season, Monday nights are usually met with bumping house music from the party pavilion on the beach, so expect to hear that. Sundays are the best, with the welcome brunch pulling out all of the stops. Be prepared to pay. VEGANS: the fresh fruit is worth it, and some of the pastries are absolutely incredible.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We just returned from a week at the Sheraton Buganvilias (Feb. 7 - Feb 14). Everything about the resort seemed to have its good and bad points but overall we had an excellent stay. The exterior or the resort's multiple buildings in not impressive but inside the decor and fixtures is 4 to 5 start quality. We were assigned a room with a seemingly excellent location on the 16th floor with an ocean and pool view - but keep in mind the 16th floor is really the 5th floor -- i don't know why the number them starting at 13. Good news, the WiFi is free!! Bad news, the signal is weak to the point on non-existent in the rooms unless you are near the window or out by the pool. The location is great. The pool is fantastic - plenty of comfy lounge chairs for everyone. Everything is in good repair and clean. But the food and food service is shameful by comparison. I really hope someone at the resort reads this and makes some changes because it really is the only black mark on the resort (that and the WiFi). We tried all of the "restaurants" including room service -- which are little more than different places to sit -- all the food seems to come from the same kitchen. Prices are exorbitant by PV standards and the quality is pretty poor. Service throughout the hotel is excellent but service at the restaurants is pretty bad -- on most occasions I had to get up and find my own coffee or cream refills or get up from the table to seek out assistance. The exception is the Sunday champagne buffet where you pay in advance and a 10% tip is included up front. This actually hurts service I think because (if you've been there before) you don't want to tip up front and then go hunt down your own coffee. But as soon as the waiter sees you didn't tip more than the mandatory 10% you get NO service whatsoever.

I hope my focus on the poor food service is does not take away from the overall positive review of the resort. There's lots of great places to eat in PV -- just don't eat at the Sheraton and you will be happy with all the rest of their amenities.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are ocean and pool view AND they have windows that slide all the way open ma...
2  Thank Expat28
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear guest from Denver:

We appreciate very much your sharing your sentiment about our resort, we underestand the good and the bad opinion you have from Vallarta and the Sheraton.

We regret your experience with our food service was a poor one, your insight will permit us review our customer service practices in restaurants and make a difference in our performance.

Thank you for expressing your comments and for giving us the opportunity to demonstrate you our progress on your next visit to beautiful Vallarta.

Warm regards

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Super comfy bed. Our airline put my friend and I up at this hotel for the night due to a long flight delay. Reception and other staff were mobilized in time for 300 angy people showing up late at night because fly home. They handled check in quickly and gave very quick and short and to the point directions to the room and location of the other amenities on sight. Spacious room, and the best bed I have other slept on in Mexico. Quick and easy check too.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest from Canada:

Thank you for conveying with us your experience at the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort, we will communicate them to our staff.

Your considerations for our front desk service staff are important as we consider them a motivation to our pursuing of excellence. We celebrate your compliment for our the Sheraton brand Sweet Sleeper Bed in all guestrooms.

We appreciate your sharing your feelings within this forum with frequent and future visitors to beautiful Puerto Vallarta.

Sincerely.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

On Jan 29th My Husband and I came to PV for the first time, We booked in at the Barceló but took one night to try another Hotel we had been looking at on line The Sheraton Buganvilias. We were meeting our friends on the Malaccan the next day so we decided the afternoon before to stay closer to the Malaccan at the Buganvilas. After a fairly long Hot walk we found our Hotel and happily walked up to Reception to be greeted by a Very Rude Desk Man who negatively commented on our Barceló bracelets. He answered the phone and kept us waiting for about 7 minutes while he conducted his phone conversation. Finally he told us Bluntly a one Night stay would cost 288$ for an AI room, Didn't offer us another choice or try show How Great His Resort was in compare to the Barceló just this room this price Period !!! We stupidly agreed. Check in was anything but quick, didn't get warm and fuzzy feeling ..... First impression Not so Good. Second Impression the Room...... 1719 Claustrophobically generic Warm NO Fridge no Water TINY I mean TINY bathroom Child sized tub (might as well have just made it a shower), Motel 6 style sink, tiny closet , decent safe, Hot room Thin windows make for do defence against the Sun so of coarse it had AC, well it kind of did.... We shut the windows and turned on the AC to have our room fill with a Perfume smell and a slightly cooler room .... Over-all so claustrophobic I had to get out quick so we suited up and went down to the Pools to cool Down . .. 3rd Impression ...... The Pool ......... Ahhhhhh .. NOT !! We jumped in to a bathtub warm pool with a non chelan blonde Bartender who informed us our AI bracelets didn't include Pacifico Cervaza (WHICH YOU CAN DRINK ANYWHERE IN FOR $1 ALL DAY) so My Hubby had a Sol on Tap. I ordered my regular Mimosa and got luke warm Wine and Oj that made me feel off for the next 2 days . The pool was small and generic with a little Iguana trapped on an "island" being relentlessly squirted on by some little kid. For the size of this Resort the pool was very small but if you were a Resident you could use the other pool which was located in the silent Library section filled with walkers 100 years olds who like Quiet or may have just been sleeping . In a nutshell the Resort just seemed to be asleep. The guests around the pool were the best thing about this resort Funny Friendly there might be Hope........ Lets look at the Beach 4th Impression ........ Rocks lots of them, barefoot not an option hmmmm ............ if you jump one resort over the PV beach rocks in a good way .. 5th Impression Food Nice dining room . Hostess asks Room Number ,normal, get Seated asked Again the Water guy comes Asks AGAIN the Coffee guy comes ASKS AGAIN ..... Really ??? Food "pretty" Not much choice, decent Salad (I had one it was good) Fresh bread ,decent too. My Husband had some Not So Good frozen tasting fish thing and I had another Mimosa and Shockingly it was Mexican wine and Oj........ I'm not having Happy thoughts ..... Go out for a bit Come Back to Our WEE ROOM ,,,, Dress for Drinks Sports Bar GOOD Service GREAT little Bartender ... First tip of the Day..... Yay !!!! Fun little Band in the Lounge next to the Bar ....Not all Bad !!!! ... Go to our room. Maybe its cooled down NOPE but it smells like Perfume ..... so we Open the window to get serenaded by Kenny G VERY loud till the WEE hours of the Night. We flop down on our very Average Beds to be hit by these Horrible Rock Pillows that couldn't be wrestled into a decent shape NO matter HOW long you tried ... Huff !!!!! We shut the window to try to drown out Kenny (which couldn't be done) and proceeded to hear Every conversation French Spanish and English ....... Every Foot step clicky shoed or Barefoot........ Every toilet flush ......... Alarm clock ring ...... Shower... luggage dragged of the Neighbours around us.... Finally we lift our heads off our Rock Hard Pillows to Check out to a Great Day in PV with our friends and Back to our 5 star Fabulous Hotel we missed SO SO Much..... We will NEVER leave you again !!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Binkyljfm
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Dear guest from Canada:

With great concern I learned about the poor experience you have from our resort after your one day sojourn, thank you for sharing your insight with us.

We deeply regret the inconveniences this situation may have caused you and your husband, please accept our apologizes. Your opinion is important to us, we strongly believe it contributes to know the expectations of our guests and provide us the means to improve guest relations, quality service, and comfortable and attractive facilities to all our visitors.

It will be difficult for us to have your change your feelings at this time, but you can rest assured we will take the necessary actions to correct our flaws and build up your trust in our efforts to anticipate and meet our guest experience.

Warm regards

Reviewed February 12, 2012

My family stayed at the Sheraton for 1 week Jan 27 - Feb 4, 2012 and really enjoyed our stay. The variety of food was fabulous - never went hungry or thirsty. The staff were very friendly and gracious. The rooms were very clean, beds comfortable and the scenery was beyond words. All rooms faced the ocean; it was nice to hear and see the ocean, see the whales and walk the beaches. Some of the time share people were annoying, but most were friendly and informative. We will book with this hotel again should we visit Puerto Vallarta again.

Room Tip: We had a corner room close to the elevators, so it was convenient for us because my husband had a ha...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family