“I MISS LAS PALMAS!!!”

Ranked #42 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Lloydminster, Canada
“I MISS LAS PALMAS!!!”
Reviewed January 28, 2011

what an amazing resort. the food was amazing , and always lots to choose from. the people and staff so welcoming and friendly. Very nice atmosphere. The beach was great , with pleanty of room to sit everyday there. A HUGE shout out to david and edgar .. amazing bartenders !!! very kind , and what a blast to be around. TEQUILA POPPERS!! haha .. I LOVED this resort and i miss it more than i can say, I didnt want to leave and iam already watching for a good deal to return..

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank angeleyes14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Ontario
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I travelled to Las Palmas January 13th 2011 with a group of friends and I have to say it was one of the most fun weeks I have ever had. Sure the beds are hard, but I already read the reviews of this hotel prior to going and knew what to expect. Plus I wasn't there to get a good nights sleep! The service at this hotel was great. The bellhop Antonio couldn't do enough to help us with whatever we needed. The bartenders at the pool (David and Edgar) were fast, friendly and mixed some great drinks! The location of the hotel is about a 5 minute bus ride to the Malecon, so it's pretty convenient if you want to go club hopping at night or shop in Old Puerto Vallarta. The location on the beach could be better, but the water was too cold to swim anyway. The food in the buffet was typical all inclusive fare, and pretty much the same thing every day - no one would starve to death. The omelets in the morning were my favourite! The A la Carte was ho-hum, but again the service was great. My room was quiet at night and I wasn't bothered by any excessive noises or music. The rooms are pretty basic - everything you need and nothing extra - but clean and with plenty of hot water any time of day. I would definitely return to this hotel in a heartbeat. If you're worried about safety in the streets of Puerto Vallarta, then try not to drink too much and be aware of your surroundings. It's not Disney Land, and you have to exercise as much caution as you would travelling anywhere in the world.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marcia-Cobourg
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The rooms are really bad at this hotel. Beat up furniture, scratchy bed spreads, hard mattresses, no hair dryer, no fridge, no coffee maker.

The family pool was freezing cold and had loud blasting music. The adults only area was much nicer but kids not allowed. People smoke everywhere in this hotel, even in the pool.

The beach area was crowded and lacked chairs. The only redeeming quality about this hotel was the restaurant which had decent food. The staff were very nice but the kids club was closed half the time. The entertainment shows at night were good.

We stayed at the Fiesta Americana first, much nicer and a better deal.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank laurazoom
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This time I had a room that didn't face the ocean which is not as good as the one I had my first time but was still big enough for three bachelors. Our bathroom had been upgraded and the shower so perfect it massaged the sore muscles that I had. Food was better the second time and the booze plentiful. Front desk were pretty friendly as were the serving staff but I must give a special mention to their bartenders, particularly Edgar, Juan and David. So so friendly, always ready with a refill before you're finished your drink and always had a light and an ashtray handy. These gentlemen know exactly what they're doing. The light hearted attitude seemed to have an amazing effect on the guests there, everybody was friendly and easy to talk to and made it very easy to make new friends. I'M GOING BACK FOR A THIRD TIME, JUST HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO WAIT AN ENTIRE YEAR.

3 Thank StevoCanmore
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Very friendly staff, clean hotel, food not so great (my opinion), however several places to eat in the area. Had a really good time not at all what i expected. So nice my only issues where the fact that the pools are not heated, and the hot tub is not so hot. Very nice place to go, safe and worth your money. Not very children oriented not much for the kids to do.

2 Thank kiealove
Regina, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This is a great little hotel for the price. We like the smaller hotels and have stayed in several. The staff are great, the food is quite good - certainly not the variety you see at a 5* but unless you are incredibly picky you should not go hungry. The Mexican night was fantastic. I was disappointed in no quacamole or ceviche but they had a scallop salad that almost made up for that!

The rooms are plain but more than adequate. My hubby hates a hard bed and he had no problems sleeping here.

We did not find the drinks watered down. They, like most all inclusives we have been to, do not serve the top of the line liquor - if you have a problem with that walk the short distance to the street - there is a liquor store on the corner. One thing to note - this is not a 24 hour all inclusive - after 11pm you have to pay for drinks - we were aware of this but it seems not everyone was.

The lounge chairs around the adult pool are in need of replacement - they are useable but some are in quite rough shape.

My one complaint would be about the in room safes - they have them but apparently not enough locks and there is a little game with the front desk on that - when we asked, they didn't have any but when I mentioned this to our tour operator, he got a lock right away!

2 Thank missingthecold
victoria
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This three star hotel is not the fanciest, swankiest Mexican hotel I have ever stayed in, but we did receive great value for the money we spent. We traveled as a party of six from Victoria , meeting with another part of our family that was traveling from Toronto. Ages ranged from 12- 81.

I have stayed at resorts in the Mayan Riviera, Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV

Pros -
*It's only about 10 mins ride from the airport.
*Clean - Yes, very clean. I did not see a bug.
*Plenty of food.
*Staff was very friendly and very helpful. They went out of their way to be of assistance.
*Lots of alcohol if one desires. Bartenders were great fun!
*Did not meet any little screamers ( kids that is) There were kids there just not a whole boatload of wild little ones.
*Separate Adult and "family" pool
*Close enough to downtown to take a short cab ride or a local bus.
*Fiesta night was well organized and well presented.
*Very clean pools and beach area
*Pool entertainment was somewhat enetertaining

Cons
*Evening entertainment is kind of boring. I am not trying to be rude... they are good at what they do but it's kinda boring watching the same 5 or 6 dancers in different costumes night after night.
*I don't want to hear Celine Dion wailing in my ears every morning while sitting in my lawn chair by the pool.
*Pool was very chilly ( guess that's good if you are hot)
*Food was OK, plenty of it but I found it odd that I could not find any bacon, ice cream, bananas or like mentioned previously , guacamole. I did find bananas at the bar, that were meant for drinks and scooped a couple for food.
Vendors on the beach are never ending but very polite and did not harass anyone once the no thanks you was mentioned to them.
* Not the hotels fault but a few drunk Canadians fighting outside their room at 3 am, slamming doors hard enough was enough to jolt the dead out of their sleep . If you had kids there you would want to cover their ears so the "F" you's would not be heard. This happened on more than one occassion.

Overall, this was a wonderful vacation at a very reasonable price. The price allowed our family to be together for a week and enjoy each other, the sun, sand and sea. I am very thankful for that.

Wifi is free if you take your own computer and connect in the lobby. Anywhere else you will be required to pay $9 a day.
Las Palmas was filled with about 90% Canadians, many middle age or older and I had a great room. I can;t say the same for everyone as the ocean view amy not be visible through the pam trees or if you are on the ground floor right at the family pool. Do what I did and requested a better room once viewing my original room. They moved me within minutes.

Beds are hard but that didnt bother me. TV is a 20 in tube tv that I never even turned on.
There is no fridge in the room and i didn's miss that either.

I would go again depending on a price point.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family