“Not a bad time...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
regina, sk
“Not a bad time...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

We scored our trip for a really great price. One we would have been stupid to pass up. So we went in with open minds. Thinking we can't expect much for what we're paying.

We were pleasantly surprised.
We paid a few bux extra for an ocean front room, which basically means you're not facing the street. And it was well worth it, we spent every night with the patio door wide open listening to the ocean.

The staff was friendly, and helpful. The cleaning stafff did a great job on the room. Everything in the room was in working order. One minor complaint, would be that the beds are a little harder than my own back home. As for the pillows, well I travel with my own anyhow, so I cannot comment.

The beach was okay, there were some days where the water was rather high, but if anything, it made it easier to score a chair. Since a lot of people like to "reserve" them with towels first thing in the morning (even though there is a sign saying it's not allowed).
The sand was nice, and the water was warm. Not that the hotel has anything to do with these features, but it's better than having NO water front.

The pools were smaller than other resorts, so if you're plan is to lounge around in the pool all day, and in 4 different pools, then perhaps this isn't the place for you.

As for the food, it was okay. I am by no means a picky eater, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
The pancake bar was awesome! We were always there when it opened, so lineup was never an issue. They would make fresh omelettes, or pancakes, they had cereal selections, and various other items to suit your needs.
In fact it was so good, that we never ate breakfast at the main restaraunt.

The lunches were alright. The food was hot, and there was usually a decent selection.
As for the dinners, we can't complain. They either had a sitrfry or pasta station set up, and the lineups weren't the worst thing ever. As well, there was usually a meat station, carving up turkey or roast beef.

Either way, we didn't spend all our time in the resort, we went and checked out the town.
Hopping on a bus north to Bucerais was great fun. As well, hopping on a bus South to Mismaloya was good too, we even took a walk through the zoo.

Definitely take the Tunel Centro Bus at least once. It will take you through the far side of town, with some fantastic views of the city. As well in the older part of town, take a walk over to Mundo De Cristal, for some fabulous glass wear shopping. It's amazing, and they do a great job wrapping it up for the ride home. They'll even ship the stuff worldwide if you need.

And finally, TIME SHARE PEOPLE...we were often stopped as the "honeymooners" even though this wasn't the case. They start out pretending to be your friends, then they'll hit you with the whole "free trip" or "free excursion" even a "free breakfast"
Let's face it, nothing is free. You'll get sucked into a presentation, all about their time shares.
We even had someone at the airport asking if we would go just so he could get a small commission.
We found, the best way to get them off our backs, was to say that we already had 4 excursions booked for the time that we were there.
It seemed to work. A few times they asked which excursions, or how much did we pay.
I just brushed them off. By the 3rd day, we were no longer being hassled.

In the end, I would recomment this resort to a friend. IF they got the kind of deal that we did.
I wouldn't spend top dollar on it.
Also, star ratings don't have much to do with it really.
I've recently stayed at a 5 star in D.Rep. And it was awful.
The food was good, the rooms were filthy, and tiles were loose in the bathroom.
Sometimes you just have to go see for yourself.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank punkibrewster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

I've been here once before and have found good improvements and some huge let-downs.

The good:
My room was very clean. The bathroom was a bit dark but the water in the shower was nice and hot (last time it, there was more to be desired). The beds are really hard and I contemplated asking for a foamy but decided to suck it up. I had a room on the second floor, facing the ocean and thought it would be nice to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean and left the patio door open over night. Not such a great idea as a gargantuan grass-hopper looking bug got into the room. I thought the housekeeper got it out but, when fussing with the drapes the next night, found him. I just flicked him outside and kept the door shut. The housekeeper did an awesome job; provided extra towels for my hair, a bath mat, restocked the bottled water ect. I tipped her very well.
The "adult" pool area was very relaxing and the staff made a point of asking families to enjoy the other pool. Cheers!
Not really related to the hotel but, I woke the second day with a cold and was super bummed out as I had booked several scuba dive trips. I went to their desk at the marina and explained that I wouldn't be able to dive. Vallarta Adventures refunded my deposit. I was totally blown away by this.

The Bad (ish):
The last time I was there, there was an actual beach. This time, the water was quite high even at low tide and unless you are a strong swimmer, swimming was not an option. I had a blast in the waves and I'm sure there was more than one set of people placing bets on my well-being. The ocean water got into their hot tub one night and it was closed the next day.

The food is terrible. I'm sorry for complaining but, it's truly horrid and has taken a dive since my last visit. Very bland, not hot and I don't think I've ever had hot-dogs for breakfast before! I thought for sure on their Fiesta night, the food would rock but was greatly disappointed. C'mon guys, I know "times are tough" but flavor and creativity are cheap!! The best meal I had was on a dinner/cruise (Rhythms of the Night) nice, tasty authentic choices as well as the average "safe" food.

My biggest complaint though is not about the property, food or service but of the "tourists"! I have very long hair and had it braided so I'd not have to deal with it on my vacation. Not one day would go by without at least three different sets of people commenting, wanting to touch or asking questions about it. It's hair! Go away!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank NovemberStorm
BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

You just get what you pay for.
It's an old hotel - the beds were rock hard, bad pillows, broken bathrooms, small pool, limited food selection and availability - but the staff; hotel, bar and food servers were all friendly and nice.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SIFC
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

This hotel is typical for Puerto Vallarta. We have been going to PV for many years. Yes the hotel is older and definitely Mexican style. We appreciate this as it makes you feel you are in another country .... remember! It even rained in PV which has never happened before but this is one way to make a whole lot of new friends as you are all bonded in "where's the sun" and you make the most of it. Think about it ... you are not home shoveling snow.
As for the food. I have severe food allergies and therefore need to be careful about what I eat but everything I had was excellent. I am not a fussy eater maybe that is the reason for the complaints. I have been to other resorts in Mexico and yes I have been at nicer and more expensive and bigger but never was I ever provided with roast beef to the abundance that this resort offered. It was in their buffet and on two separate evening you could choose your own cut!
The staff was friendly, the hotel was clean, the food was good, the water was warm and I did like the adults vs the kids pool option. So if you wanted your quiet time you could have it. You were within walking distance of dowtown and you have to make your own vacation. If you are looking for luxury hotel suite, which really you only sleep in, PV is not the place for you. Take in Old Town, go for a walk, walk the Malecon remember we have none of this in Canada.
I never want PV to loose its charm and cater to the elite, never happy with anything bring it up to North American standard. The end result will take away the ability for the average Canadian Family to have a holiday away at an All Inclusive Resort in PV or elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hornskry
saskatoon, canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

well first off im not a picky person but this place was a DUMP. the last straw was when i went into the back to talk to the chief and came across a man pissing into a bucket IN THE COOKING AREA. When he finished he smiled at me and went back to work cooking without washing his hands. that was the final straw and it explains why lots of people that were there got sick wow what an eye opener. Never ever ever again. i wouldnt recommend this DUMP on my worst enemy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

its a good thing they liqour you up. the food, nasty, the room keys are a nightmare, the beds, well i think fred flintstone would have complained. the hotel is cute, the staff is wonderful, the beach merchants were fun to barter with and eager to please. if you get in for a great price, you get what you payed for. no way its a 3*.to many weiners and spam for me. 1 week was plenty.

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank arman10
South Bend, In
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

I have been coming to the Las Palmas for over 10 years and you would think with all the fancy international chain hotels in this paradise Why this hotel? simple, The location is great , family owned and ran, clean, clean clean , on the ocean and away from the noisy streets. I and a friend and his wife spent a week in January of 2010 and I' ve only been home a few days and already making plans to return.Just a great place to stay with an incredible staff and are all so friendly and helpful. This place has 2 pools , 1 for Adults so its nice and quite and 1 pool for family with kids. It also has a nice beach front but over the years seems to be shrinking in size. The food is great here, they do offer a all inclusive rate here which is not a bad idea if you like to drink and eat!! Tons of activities for children of all ages and also for adults. We all had a great time and looking to return real soon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends