“Nice Rooms, Friendly Staff, Buffet Not So Great”

Las Palmas by the Sea
Ranked #42 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Victoria, Canada
“Nice Rooms, Friendly Staff, Buffet Not So Great”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I booked a 1 bedroom suite that was supposed to include a "partial kitchen". This was definitely not up to standards. We had a counter top with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and toaster, there was no sink or hot plate. This is not even considered a legal kitchen to not have a sink. Also we had no dishes except for 4 coffee mugs and 1 spoon. Very minimal and it would have been nice to have at least a knife and fork to eat with.

The resort itself was very pleasant with a nice adult pool area. Food was not great and it would be nice to be able to opt out of the all inclusive. One day they had 400 soccer players book in to the resort and there was too many people and kids running around at all hours of the night. This was very disruptive for the people that were in the time share part.

The quality and variety of the food and liquor offered was not worth $50 a day. The food was very bland and repetitive day after day. Breakfasts were the best with lots of fruit and fresh omelettes made. Lunch offered a very poor selection of salad options and the hot buffet was not very appetising. Dinner was worse. Drinks were also bad. The white wine was like turpentine and they used the cheapest liquor they could get. We ended up going to the store to buy our own liquor.

I would return to this resort as it was in a great location and the rooms were nice and the pool was good. Also staff was the highlight as they were all very friendly and helpful. I would like to have the option of not taking the all inclusive in the future!

I would recommend it but only if you didn't mind a lot of people running around and lots of noise. If you want a quite resort this is not the one to go to! Good location though and friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank gayle6769

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2014

very disappointed. We had 2 weeks here, ready to go home after a few days. Got into our room. Good view. The bed was harder than the floor. Housekeeping did bring a foamy for the bed which helped a bit. The pool was beautiful but way to cold to use. The hot tub a lot of the time was barely luke warm. Ocean beach was nice but vendors were so relentless we basically didn't use and there were so few chairs anyway. Really hard to get a pool lounge chair. not enough!! All the chairs are plastic...in the dining area, room, pool etc. No where comfortable to sit. The food was mainly Mexican, and not real good and ALWAYS cold from the steam tables. Staff was great. very noisy to 4 a.m. from the club next door. You got one per week voucher for the restaurant. The food was done very fancy, but cold again and not all that good. I didn't like the mixed drinks at the bar. They used powder mixes and tasted horrible of aspertime. We got a city tour from Transat..thankyou. It was good except for the restaurant they take you to. The food was good , but small amounts and very expensive. We had 5 shrimp, a small scoup of rice a few vegetables and a pop each and it was over $50 us $. Can eat cheaper and better at a restaurant at home. Mostly all of the shopping we found rediculously expensive and they didn't want to barter much on the price. The gift shop at the resort was the most reasonable place to buy things. It was the first vacation I have ever been on where I didn't complain about going home. Even with the -30 weather at home. The only good thing about the trip was the warm weather. We will not go back there.

Room Tip: go to a different place
2 Thank Karen V
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Bartenders are AWESOME (Edgar, Manny, Carmen, Victor, David) !!!!! Flying from Calgary to Puerto Vallarta in January for 2 weeks cost $1700.00 (including Hotel / meals / drinks/ transfer to and and from Airport / flight). The food is okay, but it get's very repetitive and boring after one week. Some of the Buffet food was luke warm. I took my pappas (potatoes) to the grill where they make you a homemade omelet from scratch to warm up every morning. There is no bacon for Breakfast, but if you ask the waiter for some and give them a $1.00 tip they will get it for you. There is not very many lounge chairs around the ADULT Pool. You will need to save your lounge chair real early in the morning (6:00 a.m.) with your towel if you want to make sure you get one. There are no lounge chairs on the beach (only sit up chairs) with palapas. If you don't want to be around kids on your Vacation, this is NOT a Hotel you want to stay at. If you put in a request for a particular room ahead of time, you probably won't get it as we didn't. They tried to put us on the kids pool side of the Hotel and I told them that I will NOT stay in a room on that side and then they found us a room on the other side of the Hotel. Air Transat staff were very helpful and they speak good English.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side where the ADULT Pool is if you like to have quietness as it is very noisy all...
2 Thank Sue W
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I just spent two weeks (Jan 2014) at Las Palmas, after trying Playa Del Carmen last year I returned to PV this year and this resort has gone down hill. I have been to this resort many times over the past 10 years but I'm thinking this may be the last.
When we arrived they told me they had no record of my reservation, I of course had confirmation of my paid in full trip. After the manager taking 30-45 mins to figure it out they gave us a room with the promise of being able to change it the next day. So, the next day I went to the front desk to inquire about changing my room, the manager then told me that my husband and I could have a room with two beds or a room with a king bed by the pool. The room with two beds was not what we wanted and because I have been here so many times I knew that the room by the pool was not going to be a good experience, this is the building they put young people who are there to party and is very noisy due to this being the activity pool. When I told the manager this he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders and said that's all he has. Needless to say we stayed with the first room, his compensation was to give us the safe key for free, an amount of less than $30 for the two weeks. Big deal!
The pool was freezing, luckily the weather was beautiful, hot and sunny every day so getting in the pool was not impossible. The "hot tub" was not even warm! such that people sat in it for hours at a time. Oh and be sure to get down to the pool early enough to save a lounge chair or you won't get one.
The worst part of the trip was the food, not that it was horrible, it just wasn't good. There was absolutely no variety at all. And it was always cold. Buying an all inclusive trip isn't that great a deal when you have to go somewhere else to eat like we did many evenings because we just couldn't eat the same thing again!
They also have 6, yep that's right 6 deck chairs for the beach area, not sure what the point is in that! there are your basic white plastic garden chairs if you are not one of the lucky 6 to get a deck chair! The manager needs to spend some money and buy some beach lounge chairs.
After so many trips I have gotten to know many of the staff and in talking to some of them this time they told me that when telling the manager about complaints of the guests they hear he doesn't seem to care or acknowledge them, or try to improve the situation. I can say this is the same experience we had and heard from other guests also, many guests told us they would never return.
The redeeming quality of this resort is absolutely the staff, they are all very helpful and very friendly. They maybe the only reason people continue to visit.
Oh and the beds suck! Hard as rock.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Alison A
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband my kids and me stayed for 6 days. The pool was a horrible freezing surprise, we just couldn't use it. The beds were rock hard difficult to sleep on. Shows were good but not enough seats to watch it. Request an ocean front room so at least you will have a good view.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank ericka p
Saskatchewan
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We got a great deal to stay at this resort for 7 days in Jan 2014. But even with the price, I would likely stay somewhere else next time we're in PV.

Hotel
The hotel is dated but clean. Not a ton of amenities but that's what you get for 3.5 stars. Our first room was a room that had an adjoining room on the 4th floor. Well, the door was so thin that we could hear everything the people in the adjoining suite were doing, from frying bacon to clinking silverware. So we moved to a room on the second floor that overlooked the kids pool. No balcony, but much more private. The rooms are pretty run down but fine for the price. Our biggest problem was with the housekeeping. No consistency. After the first night, we had one sheet instead of two. Nothing else but a thin blanket. No bottles of water past the first day. Water all over bathroom floor. They never took the empty glasses and gave us new ones. No towels one day. The fitted sheet on the bed was actually just a flat sheet and was about a foot too short for the bed.

Staff
Friendly staff like everyone says.

Breakfasts were great. Delicious french toast, omlettes, etc. But lunch and supper... wasn't awesome. Thank god for the guy cooking up pasta most nights. We ended up eating off-resort a ton. Get a reservation at La Luna in Old Town if you want an amazing meal. Husband found a few unidentified objects in different dishes. Also, we're pretty sure the beer is alcohol free but no way to prove that one!

Finally, this hotel should really invest in more pool chairs. They are saved by guests either overnight or early in the morning. I bet they could use at least 50 more.

1 Thank SaskatchewanMojo
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We knew if would not be a 5 star resort, but we did not expect it to be this bad. Our room overlooked the kids pool and the best part was the fantastic view of the ocean. Nice balcony, however the loud music during the afternoon was a downer for us as seniors we need a rest during the hottest part of the day. The room was so out-dated - stained bathroom floor, loud air conditioner, and very hard beds. The TV is a small 20" located on a ledge plugged into a dubious socket. I know this because I had to climb on a chair to plug my iron into it. course after 3 days I found a plug in behind the main dresser. The bathroom door often wouldn't close, making us wonder ???? why should it close one day and not the next? often no hot water. When the maid cleaned she did a good job, but that wouldn't usually happen till around 4:00p.m. They would come and get the towels in the morning, but not clean the room till late afternoon.

FOOD - very bad - fish every day, and only once was roast beef re-fried on the grill served. fruit was melons - no apples, bananas or oranges. bees swarming over the desserts, the occasional fly stuck to the icing. rice was good, and often fried potatoes, which is pretty much all that I could eat. we went for the a la carte - they will charge you a premium if you want a decent steak or lobster etc. we did not opt to pay for the a la carte. My husband ordered the pork ribs, and was served what we would toss out here in Canada. not really what we expected at all.

DRINKS = so watered down and tasteless unless you prefer wine or beer, it was basically ice we were drinking. and that's ok because nobody needs to be over doing in that heat. But really watered down......really

There is not much beach there, and you really need to be up at 6 a.m. to get a beach or pool chair.

The lobby bar apparently is a "pay" bar except after a certain hour when a daily special will be presented free.

All in all we found a couple of waiters to be excellent, and the bar tenders....it's not their call what they must serve the guests. We found the place very clean as well.

This resort caters to the locals though in everything they do, they all mostly speak in Spanish.
We found that the majority of guests were Spanish speaking, I thought that the resort was a safe and happy place for a young family with little kids, but they all mostly spoke Spanish and played together as such.

we did not enjoy our stay and will not ever return.
I will not recommend this resort to my family and friends.

Room Tip: The kids pool is very active and loud music played all day. If you want an afternoon rest try a roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family