“Great Hotel for Superior Value!”

Las Palmas by the Sea
Ranked #31 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My quick summary? Great hotel with superior value. Our view was fantastic, the staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms respectably clean and up to date (each with a balcony!).

As for food, my pro tip is to skip the hotel restaurants and walk south on the main Boulevard to the cheap taco stands. We went crazy and spent all of $10 (USD) for two people. More authentic in my opinion anyway. Pools we nice too, separated into an "Adult" pool and "Kids" pool, where the former is more for relaxing and the latter more for horseplay.

Access to the beach was a main point for us. It does not disappoint! If you're considering staying at a hotel that advertises "just 1 block away from the beach", stay away. Yes, you are 1 block away... technically. Actually, no. You would have to access the beach through one of the non-hotel based access points. So if you stayed at a hotel across from another hotel that had access to the beach, you can't just walk through (they use wristbands), you'll have to walk a good few more blocks to get there. Not convenient. Pay up and get access to the beach. The view makes it more than worth it.

I do agree with some comments made by other reviewers. Here are some of them and my points of contention:

1) Yes, the hotel may need some upkeep in some areas. - I personally thought our room was fantastic. It's important to remember that if you're planning on spending that much time in the hotel just to watch TV and sleep anyway, then you really shouldn't be coming to Mexico. Save your money and go to a hotel down the street. Also, remember that you're in a developing country and that that can sometimes be reflected in the quality of the hotel. Finally, as in life, everything is variable. If you're willing to pay for it, you'll get a nicer room.

2) The staff isn't particularly fluent in English. - In fact, I think that if I couldn't speak Spanish, communication would/could be a serious issue. Depends on your patience level though and how willing you are to articulate. If you're looking for intense detailed descriptions about parts of the city, then it'll fall short. If you're ordering a drink, English will do just fine.

3) The hotel isn't walking distance from downtown. - I mean, it is. You could technically walk from Wisconsin to California. I wouldn't recommend it though. But seriously, we're young and walk to class every day and the walk was still pretty far. It's about 2 - 3 miles to downtown. It's not a big deal, but we went downtown every day. I wouldn't walk to take a vacation to walk 6 miles a day.

Our solution? Take the bus! It's 13 pesos for two people. That's about a dollar one way. Save a money and don't take a cab. The bus is an experience you won't want to miss. Make sure you take a bus labeled "Centro" if you're heading to downtown and a bus labeled "Hoteles" if you're trying to get back to - you guessed it - the hotels.

Well, that's my review! I have no doubt that no matter where you stay in PV, you'll have a great time. Try to watch the sunset on the Malecon. It's to die for! If you're around that area too, at around 10 PM - 11 PM every night, there are fireworks from the Pirate Cruise. Also, don't to the cruises. We got much feedback from tourists during our time there who said skip it. The snorkeling, the beach, the ziplining. Just skip it. Immerse yourself in the culture, by some tamales on the Malecon, sip Margaritas on the beach for just a few dollars.

Have fun!

Room Tip: Try to get a side with an oceanview. Likely you'll pay up for it and you may face the noisier po...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AnthonyMN

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Most of my negative feelings stem from my experience with the front desk. I feel that there was a lack of English speaking help there.The rest of the staff was fantastic. I knew this hotel was only rated a 2 when I booked it and I didn't expect to be overwhelmed with luxury.with that in mind I think there were some small things that could have been done to make it a better place to stay. I would not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank wad62
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have been twice in "Hotel Las Palmas" with my friends and we really had a good time!. Our room had a beautiful sight, the meals was good and all the facilities were comfortable. The staff is really kind and always trying to help you and making you feeling great. 100% recommended for a family and friend vacations.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I want to start with the compliments. The staff is great. We greatly appreciated David and Carmen at the sea side bar! Their service was nothing short of great, and they were certainly kept busy till it closed at 11. Yolanda and Hipolito in the buffet had the best service for the food side. All these people were greeting us by name :).

The hotel falls short with the beds being so hard. We found out nearer to the end of the trip that a memory foam topper is available... if one is free. The showers in the room were 4' square which is awesome, but the water damage above the sink really takes away from it. The vent in the shower is open to the walkway, at night we needed to close the bathroom door to keep the noise of the nearby dance club out. (it goes to 5 am on weekends by the way). The balcony door does little to silence the pool/bar/court yard noises. We didn't find the room a very quiet place (of course tile floors in mexico do little to keep things quiet. We had a different room the first night (mix up in booking.com and the hotel as we wanted a king bed (not two doubles). The first room didn't have functioning AC.

There is bacon available in the buffet for breakfast (instead of french fries, and mini hot dogs (they may be a Mexican staple, but I do not know)) but you need to ask for it. The buffet seems to cater more to the mexican taste than American/Canadian, which may be what you like, but I really like my bacon and eggs. The plus is that the buffet definitely had some of the freshest fruit I've seen.

The crew that organizes the beach volley ball seem to find a way to make a team win, and then all that's left is the hotel staff because everyone has left because they loose all the time and leave.

We were told repeatedly that the 'default' wifi in the lobby was free, but when we asked the front desk staff, we were told it was not free.

If you're getting this resort on discount you'll likely be happy. We rated this poor, but would have set it poor-average, its just falling a bit short on the little things. Too much nickel and diming.

Room Tip: Lower floor, away from disco club (higher numbered rooms). Ask for a foamy if your bed is hard. be s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kadam m
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Me and 27 friends just got back and it is a great place for the price. Alex, Pamela, Christian, Luis, and the rest of the entertainment crew do a great job of making you feel like you belong. Great bartenders. Do yourself a favour and get a tequila popper from Celso, so much fun. Don't have one complaint.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Danny L
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was at las palmas in december.never stayed there before and would stay again.great place for anyone and the staff are fantastic.too many reviews on many hotels are a bunch of complainers.leave your stress and your crappy attitudes at home.pv is a fun place if you let your hair down.thanks to all at las palmas,you people do a great job.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank sdjz
Reviewed February 20, 2013

After reading some reviews I was a little worried.
If your looking for a good time at a great price this is the place. First Ricardo at the front desk met every one of our needs and never make us feel like we were a bother. (Thank you so much Ricardo)
I will also say that Manuel (mannie) and David are the hardest working bartenders I have ever seen. If you go to this hotel just because it is an all inclusive please take care of your servers.
We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor and the only noise we could hear was the ocean at night.
I thought the food was adequate and I found many items different each day. The people who complain about the food need to upgrade hotels because it was more than I expected for the price. My only complaint “no guacamole“. Really guys its Mexico break out the avocados.
Every staff member was friendly but one and her attitude will not ruin your stay if your unlucky to run into her.
The bell men were always helpful.
I could go on and on.
I will defiantly stay at Las Palmas again
I thank you for showing us such a great time.

Room Tip: Up grade to ocean view. basic Rooms on north side of property are loud because of disco next door th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple