We did a last minute trip via Travel Best Bets/Canjet/Nolitours. (second trip to PV, different hotel)
Got to the airport 3 hrs early as requested, but the plane was 2 1/2 hrs late leaving as, A: one of the flight attendants was late, B: The captain called in sick & they had to find a replacement pilot.
Be careful after arriving /clearing Mexican customs at the airport, as there is a "white zone" that looks like an Apple store, they all try to get you to take a cab/time share, bypass it ASAP!
Your tour/hotel rep will be just outside the "Apple store" with signs and will direct you to your transfer buses.
Our room was 2xx, ocean view, overlooking the adult pool, backed by the canal.
It was great until later that Saturday evening, then a disco down the canal/road started up, like boom car in your driveway!! We went to the concierge & asked for a different room. He said we could have 4xx (same area but higher- we checked it out..no noise) and told us we should have our bags packed at 1PM tomorrow, and they would move our bags for us.
At 12:30 (after wasting 1/2 day around the hotel) we went to the concierge (a different older guy/manager/Jose-?) and said we were ready to move to room 4xx.
He said "no!". We asked why. He kind of looked around a bit while trying to come up with an excuse and eventually said that the people staying in that room had all of a sudden decided to stay longer (BS!).
He had a bellboy show us 2 other rooms by the family/ kiddy pool (no thanks! - noise all day long).
We decided to stick with the room we had. So every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights we heard the boom-boom from the disco! (was so loud that it was actually rattling the bathroom mirror and we had to keep the bathroom door closed- until 4-5AM) Solution?: Drink lots before retiring!
Lots of "Time Share" (err, "points" now?) hawkers everywhere, but not as bad as a few years ago.
The rest of the staff were very friendly & courteous.
I absolutely loved the Mexican food - different stuff every day, but a few others we had met only ate the "American" food & didn't seem happy with it. ..Well, when in Rome! Duh!
The bar staff were excellent. Mixed drinks were inconsistent..killer strong one time, a bit thin the next, but all in all, I really couldn't complain.
Lots of Nationals staying there..they are all very friendly - don't forget your Spanish-English translation app on your phone ;-)
Always tipped 20 pesos or a buck after meals or every few drinks or so & 50 pesos on our last day.
Left a buck every day on the pillow for housekeeping, although the towels arrived spontaneously, like 1-3 every hour..was entertaining! ;-)
Free wifi in the lobby, but a few pesos to use their PC. Mostly WEP around the hotels, so if you're a Linux user.. ;-)
Bus is only 6.5 pesos, and they give change; Take "Centro" to downtown, and catch the "Wal Mart" on Juarez to come back.
We avoided the Cuale market (tired of the hawkers), but the little shops downtown, artists zone (Guadalupe Sánchez) & south of the Cuale (Central Market) were pretty cool - lots of picture taking opportunities.
Wear sturdy shoes!
Mega and Soriana stores are within walking distance of the hotel.
Watch the local Oxxo, they don't seem give back the correct change (nor receipt) - local farmacias are pretty good for almost the same stuff.
Costco is almost an exact US clone (boring- no Mexican made stuff), Walmart, is well, Walmart.
The Galerias Vallarta Mall (next to Walmart) is a high-end mall for the cruise ships/well heeled locals..bought some very nice locally made stuff there.
Would I stay again? Definately! - provided I had an ocean view room on the 3rd or 4th floor, overlooking the adult pool.
Stayed for a week Jan 2013
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the most refreshing way to vacation in Puerto Vallarta. Unwind together in our oceanfront Jacuzzi with panoramic view. Play in our two sparkling pools. Enjoy our beach club, with its wide range of activities. Indulge in a soothing massage. Treat your palate to delicious cuisine and cocktails at our restaurants and bars. Check out our nightly shows. At Las Palmas by the Sea you will enjoy your vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Las Palmas by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Las Palmas By The Sea Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Las Palmas Puerto Vallarta
- Las Palmas Sea Puerto Vallarta
- Las Palmas Resort
- Las Palmas Beach