“Great Service & Location for Price!”

Las Palmas by the Sea
Ranked #30 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have to say that I was superised....

Top 3 Positives;
1. Manuel- he is the bartender at the beach bar, and I have to say, is amazing!!! He made our trip so enjoyable! It was hard to say good-bye, and if he was no longer there I would second guess saying there again.
2. Location- for the price of this restort, the location being beach front and in between down town and the marina, you are close to everything. A cab ride is only $5 to go downtown, and there is a bust stop right by that is very cheap. The beach was pretty good too. It isnt best as its narrow, but it definatly beats not having a beach within steps! The location was a big plus for me!
3.Food and Service- like I said Manuel was the best!! But all staff was very freindly. The food surprised me the most at how good it was! I was never hungry! Also, the rooms were really clean! Our maid did a great job and was very friendly and cheerful every morning.

Top 3 Negatives;
1. No fridge in the room- this was a big negative for us, it is really nice to be able to have a cold drink at hand in the mornings or beer on your balcony at night. We actually went to the corner store and bought a cooler for $6 and filled with ice and drinks, but the ice would melt so fast there was no way to keep up. If I could recommend any improvment to this resort, fridges would be it.
2. Beach Bar closing at 11pm- this was a negative for all of us, It would just be nice to have the later option right on the restort, you are close to downtown and drinks are so cheap to buy and bring back so we did make due (if we had a fridge it would of been beter tho)
3.Rooms- the rooms were old, beds were hard.... but hey, who goes to stay in their room? The shower was amazing and the rooms were very clean, so I would still recommend the stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karie K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,077)

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Customer Service:
The customer service is by far the best I have seen in a long time. They will go out of their way to accommodate you for anything within reason.
Timeshare sellers:
The timeshare people will ask you every day for a tour but all you have to do is be firm and tell them you are not interested and they will leave you alone. They can be an extreme nuisance in general in the entire Puerto Vallarta area.
Rooms
The rooms are kept clean but you have to request extra towels a first because there were only a few at first but once requested they kept them in stock. The water was not that hot and did not have a lot of pressure but we called the front desk and they sent the maintenance man right up and he took care of it. However it returned to luke warm the next day. It was hot outside so no big deal in the October Humidity. There is not a vent in the bathroom in case you would like to aerate it after using the bathroom.
The room décor is probably a little outdated but it was roomy and comfortable especially the sofas in the living room. The bedroom mattress was average hotel type of mattress although not to hard or springy.
There are also an abundance of geckos and lizards on the property and they may find their way in the room. There were also your normal beachside small insects in the room as well. I have lived on the beach so I understand how difficult it is to keep them out so I did not think they were a problem.
I did think the balcony rails were a bit low and should have been a bit higher but nothing of supreme caution.
There was a safe and a medium sized refrigerator combined with a television with American cable.
Food:
If you like Mexican cuisine you will probably have the opportunity to try almost every kind there is. The buffet was clean and they offered a main entrée of fish, beef, pork or chicken almost every day at lunch and dinner. Almost every common fruit was available every day at lunch and dinner. Their fruit juices were natural. The food was above average and you can speak with the Chef and he could cook anything you wanted as long as you gave him a small notice but it is not included in the inclusive. Your waiter or waitress was there hand an foot for you every beckoning need. I mean they would go out of their way and bring everything to you if you liked including alcoholic beverages. You literally would not have to get out of your seat for hours
The Bar:
The bartenders were awesome and would make anything you asked them to. If you enjoy drinking then you are in the right spot. I never had one hangover but drink my fair share of mixed drinks wines, and beers. I have an extremely high tolerance it took quite a few drinks to get me where I wanted to be and by day three I figured out the alcohol is watered down tremendously. They start you off with the real deal and then start giving you watered down liquors. But overall you can drink as much as you would like and they want hesitate to bring you more if requested.
The bar closes at 11 p.m. and everything shuts down at that time and the resort calms to a quiet tranquil place.
The Pools:
There are two nice sized very clean pools. There is one for the adults which is quiet because kids are not allowed. The kids pool was on the other side and they were having a blast and had their own activities going on combined with music to keep them entertained.
No lifeguard on duty and it closes at nine.
The Beach:
Is probably one of the nicer beaches considering the others in the area. If you want to see a few fish you can swim near the rocks that separate the properties on either side and get a glimpse of a few if you have fins and a mask.
Stores:
Wal-Mart the marina and the mall is about a 50 pesos taxi cab ride. The downtown area is about 70 to 80 pesos. The cabs are supposed to have a flat rate. But the bus is only about a dollar or two and only takes about five extra minutes to go to the same places. So my advice is to catch the bus.
Overall I would say I had a great stay and the customer service was phenomenal.

Room Tip: Room 433 is a larger room and has the best views. The balcony is semi-hidden by palm trees so people...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a great little resort at an economical price. They excel in their service and in the way they treat their guests. The food was excellent and there was a lot of variety to choose from. They keep the hotel and the rooms clean. It is an especially great place if you want to practice your Spanish. It does have it's downsides though. It is pretty noisy during the day, especially by the large pool where there are a lot of kids and loud thumping music. My initial room was over looking this pool and it got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. Also the bed in this room was like laying on a bed of rocks. Having said that, when I went to the front desk and asked to moved to a quieter area, they moved to a great room over looking the adult pool which was a lot more peaceful and relaxing. The bed in this room was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor or higher that ends in 28 through 33. You'll love the views and...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank northguy1001
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I liked this hotel a lot, it is located right on the beach and easily accesible to the airport. The boardwalk (Malecon) is close by, but I don`t advise to walk all the way there, it`s practically a 45 minute walk, but you can take a bus (it`s the cheapest and the bus stop is a few feet from the hotel) and it will leave you right at the beginning of the Malecon, which is worth the visit, it`s is totally pedestrian and very clean and safe to walk, with a lot of souvenir shops. But back to the hotel, the service is excellent, the restaurant is located beachside, so you can have your meals just watching the sea. There is nightly entertainment, and the bartenders are great. I enjoyed my stay so much, I am planning my next trip, and intend on staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Bar1030
Reviewed November 20, 2012

As a hotel this place is what the Brits might call “cheap and cheerful”, with an overall poor to average experience. A bit out of the way for the town centre. There are much better locations for first time travellers to PV, just south of PV, around Conchas Chinas beach area. If, however, you do find yourself here, be warned your patio and food space is shared with unscrupulous vacation sales team ( the hotel is an agent for a company called Gold Crown Resorts). They have an objective: get and keep your money, even after buyers’ remorse and legal cancellation. It might end up spoiling your vacation to have these high pressure sales folk sharing your resort space.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank BennyQB
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My family and I have stayed at this hotel twice, once I went with the girls(we all loved it) and once with my partner and son (they liked it, but not as much.) The location of this hotel is superb...the scenery from the hotel was stunning. The hotel is located in the hotel zone, only a short bus ride to down town or old town Puerto Vallarta. The buses run every few minutes on the road just outside of the hotel and are very inexpensive. The food in the buffet was more than adequate and the service superb! The guys didn't like the idea that the bars closed early...eleven o'clock each time I was there... you still could drink at the lobby bar, but you had to pay...this really irked the guys. Perhaps this will change! The rooms were good and very clean. The beach on Banderas Bay was beautiful and views of town lit up at night were breath taking. Make sure to take a trip to town...it's one of the prettiest towns I have ever been to and there is lots of shopping. We also went on the Pirate Ship Dinner at night, both times I went...the food and entertainment on this trip were great! A must do! There was a Mexican festival night at the hotel...the tables were set up outside...it was very enjoyable. I will certainly return to Puerto Vallarta every opportunity I get, and unless you're a big drinker and party guy this hotel will suit your needs. I loved it...so did the girls, but it is a smaller, quieter resort.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank KingzettCampbell
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Las Palmas and we found it to be a great vacation. It was our first vacation together and we wanted to stay somewhere small and affordable.

The postives:
Service was fantastic at this resort, bartenders always made sure you had a drink in your hand and waiters were fantastic (especially Oscar) we really enjoyed him, whenever we came to have a meal he would always make sure we had two drinks each. He said "Happy hour!" he was great company.
Food on the resort was always good, it was fresh and always tasty.
We really enjoyed the adult pool, it was very relaxing and we always had privacy and lots of sun! Very close to the bar as well!
The location is perfect, taxi's only charged 5-6$ to get down to the Central part of Puerto Vallarta. We found that we spent lots of time down town, there were lots of parties and food and entertaiment to go around.
We really enjoyed the Mall, they had great stores and a Mr.Sushi (we loved that the most)

The negatives:
Locals are allowed to come and stay at the resort so not many Canadians were at this resort when we were, they bared in lines without saying "Excuse me or sorry" I wasn't pleased with that at all.
Drinks were only served till 1am after that you had to either had to go buy alcohol from a store or go find something else to do.
The beds in the hotels were brutal. I never complain about a bed but this bed was bad. You would wake up with a sore back most days. What we did was take the mattress from one of the beds and we stacked it on our second bed. We had a great sleep after that.

Tips:
Take peptobismol and have a 1 ounce shot of it before you leave the hotel room, we did this every day and we had no problems with food, drinks or ice. That stuff coats the lining of your stomach so you have no problems! (Hopefully..:P)
Stack the beds, you'll have a better sleep.
There is a liquor store called "LA PLAYA" go there and get alcohol if you plan on staying up late and drinking, prices are incredibly cheap and you get to keep drinking!
If you are a romantic type I would recommend going on the excursion "Rhythms of the night" it is such an experience and you'll want to do it again and again!

Overall experience:
I would definitely come back to Las Palmas, it is a great location, and a great deal especially if you do not want to spend to much on a trip.

Thank-you, and I hope we were helpful, enjoy your vacation at Las Palmas!

Room Tip: Try and get a room close to the adult pool (no DJ and no screaming kids)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple