“Great Place to Stay in PV”
Review of Casa Amorita

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa Amorita
Reviewed March 16, 2007

Had a wonderful stay at Casa Amorita, the facilities are wonderful, the folks at Casa Amorita are extremely helpful and the breakfast is just awesome. Great location in downtown PV and we had our best New Year's eve ever viewing the spectacular fireworks over Banderas Bay from the roof top bar at Casa Amorita. This is a must stay place.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ari_bose

Reviewed March 13, 2007

We should preface this review with the fact that we stayed our first few days at Quinta Maria Cortez and had such an unbelievable experience that anywhere else was hard to beat.

Casa Amorita is clean and simple. The common areas of the house are very nice, but bedrooms seem to be lacking charm. The staff is quite young (early 20's maybe), friendly, but casual and maybe lacking a bit of professionalism. Rita does warn you about the church bells before booking, but the magnitude was a little surprising. While they didn't affect our sleep at night (the cars driving by and dogs barking were worse than the bells, forcing us to close our balcony doors at night), the gongs and cowbell rings every 15 minutes during the day was not terribly peaceful. Breakfast was fine. We have had better and more substantial food at other bed and breakfasts.

Casa Amorita is fine. It is nothing spectacular, though we have no other experience in comparing it to other hotel options in the area. The beds were comfortable, the showers were hot, the rooms were tidy, but the bathrooms were a little dingy (I think it was mainly the light green tile color that gave that appearance). We personally did not enjoy staying right in the city that much due to the loud noises and dirtiness.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I recently made my second visit to Casa Amorita, the first being over five years ago. Although I loved the place the first time, it has only gotten better. The owner, Rita Love, has wonderful taste, and her property is well designed, beautifully decorated, and immaculately kept. I recommend working up an appetite for breakfast, which is beyond anything I have ever eaten at a B & B--inventive, generous, scrumptious. Besides being a stunning property, Casa Amorita is all about the special touches--rose petals on the bed, high-thread-count bedding, handmade soaps, thick towels, free phone calls to the USA, and a staff that is always friendly and helpful. The location is great for anyone who wants to experience the "real" Puerto Vallarta with all its charm and color and church bells and cobblestones; or, who just wants to spend the day mellowing out in a comfortable lounge chair alongside the blue-tiled pool. Lovely.

• Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank VictoriaAnne
Reviewed February 21, 2007

Wow!. This is one of those TravelAdvisor treasures. We just completed a wonderful five day stay. From the very helpful and warm greeting to the personal send off at the end, everything was just as great as other reviewers have stated. Rita and her staff did everything to make our stay great including having coffee ready at 6am everyday we were there. Rita helped us arrange a day trip south of Puerto Vallarto. The Villa rooms and common areas were very attractive, clean and comfortable. Gorgeous pool and garden area as well as a rooftop bar area with great views. Breakfast was outstanding everyday. Great location, easy walk to the Malacon and the Romantic zone of PV. A note about the hills and noise. It is important to know that almost all of old Puerto Vallarta residential areas are on the hillside above the town--its part of the charm of P V. I don't believe it is possilbe to stay in the old town section and not have some elevation. I am 66 and was able to handle the old cobbled streets without much of a problem. We only took a cab once. (the cab was $4 from across town). Also, the Villa is located close to a charming church, the main church in Puerto Vallarta. Again, everything in old town is close to the church. The church bills ring and they can be heard (sort of the point isn't it?). My wife has very sensative hearing and she was not bothered by the bells.
All in all a great trip. We travel at least six times a year, and this is one of our best. We are already planning to return again next year.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davcam
Reviewed February 16, 2007

Based on the glowing reviews on this website, my husband and I booked this B&B for a week. While I agree with some of the comments, there were glaring omissions that made our stay less enjoyable than it should have been.

Location:

This has both good and bad points, and goes to the heart of our experience. Yes, it is a few blocks to the Malecon. What no one has mentioned is that the hills in this area, both down to the Malecon and around the property, are steep, steep, steep! Also, the cobblestones are rough and almost impossible to walk on, and where there are stairs, they are steep! I almost fell several times just going down the stairs to the broken pavement and into a waiting taxi. There is no handrail from the front door to the main floor. There are restaurants in walking distance, but - again - fine if you are a goat! One is straight up (I do mean straight up) 3 blocks. Another is directly down. These streets make San Francisco look flat! What this means is that you have to take several taxis to go anywhere and back. I managed to walk down to the Malecon a few times (legs shaking by the end), but never, ever, would I have been able to walk back. That means a taxi. Restaurants? Taxis. Is the River Cuale, with its restaurants and shops, close? Yes, if you mean walking on those rough streets down and up stairs and hills.

Take my word for it! If you have bad knees, or have trouble walking, or keeping your balance, this is NOT the place for you! I believe that other reviewers have been greatly remiss in not mentioning the difficulty. You must be fit and have good sneakers! Count on $3-5 for each taxi, adding quite a bit of unexpected expense.

Another problem with the location: NOISE! Our room was high ceilinged and very nice, with a lovely balcony that looked down to the ocean. The only thing is that the cathedral bells and gongs toll from 6:00 a.m. to midnight - they kept us awake and woke us up several times. In addition to the bells, there are barking dogs, trash trucks early and late, motorcycles, and - worst of all - the yelling from Hooters at the bottom of the hill! Till all hours! We never got uninterrupted sleep.

Did I mention the lights? There is a spotlight on the Cathedral that shines all night, right into the window - along with other lights. Of course, you can close the balcony doors, pull the drapes, and that will cut down on both noise and light - but that also cuts down on your fresh air and your experience.

All other things I agree with - Rita and her staff are lovely people, the breakfasts are fine, and she is very devoted to making recommendations that will please you. But the steep location and noise should make older people like us, who are not in the best shape, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Glenda M
Reviewed February 16, 2007

I just had the pleasure of staying at the Casa Amorita with my sister for 5 days and I couldn't have been more pleased with my experience!! Rita Love and her staff were gracious and accomodating and they made our stay memorable because of their attentive and personal service. The property was beautiful, with lovely views of the Old Town. The amenities were first rate, with luxurious bedding and towels and even hand-made soap! The breakfasts were incredible, every day was a different gourmet treat! The location was convenient, you could walk everywhere (make sure that you have comfortable walking shoes and are prepared to walk many stairs, or else take a cab which is very inexpensive). Rita also offers recommendations of restaurants, many of which we tried and were not disappointed, her choices were right on! Free phone calls to the United States and Canada were also a great bonus, given that our cell phones didn't work in Mexico!! I look forward to the day when I can return with my husband, it is a perfect spot for a romantic getaway!

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Pilar/Santiago
Reviewed February 11, 2007

Rita Love runs a wonderful oasis in the heart of old-town PV. The location is perfect--just steps away from the Malecon & the Isla Cuale with many nice restaurants nearby (Rita is happy to recommend some, we visited several and were never disappointed). Rita & her helpers prepare a hearty breakfast daily with an abundance of fresh local fruit and changing specialties, you'll find it hard to work up an appetite for lunch! The common areas are nicely furnished and scattered around the pool providing some privacy for couples. Of course in July the pool was our favorite hang-out, with a small wet bar just within reach. Rita herself is a charming and interesting lady, and her greeter (Maya) is a sweet little puppy. Highly recommended for a romantic stay away from the tourist crowds in PV.

Stayed: July 2006