5,275 results
All reviewsthe cantinala jollaclub premiumspanish restaurantdon quixotebug bitesgrand master suitesnack barpremium roomno see umsfamily suitefeed the animalsbaby tigerssand fleasspecialty restaurantsel edenbring bug spray
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We were very pleased with our stay. Our room was awesome--view of the beach/bay and pool/property. Our room included a patio with lounge chairs...it was a very nice surprise. Staff was more than friendly and very helpful. The "rule" is, no towels/items on lounge chairs in the AM to save your spot, but if you don't, you are left out. If prime pool side is important,get out there early. But chairs do open during the day if you keep your eye open. Restaurants were nice. The property has all you need....but trips into PV was part of our plan. Taxis were available to take us when we wanted. We really have no complaints. Would stay here again.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed at the Barcelo with our two young children (age 2 & 4) for the ease of an all-inclusive package.
On the PRO side of our trip, - the staff was very friendly and helpful, - the hotel was very clean and well maintained, and - the other resort visitors were generally families with children, or retired persons (we wanted to avoid the party crowd.) It wasn't too crowded, so getting a good spot by the pool or getting a fresh drink was no problem. The food was pretty decent, and a good variety.

On the CON side, I don't know if they had just replaced the pool water or the heater was malfunctioning, but for the first 2-3 days, the water in all the swimming pools was FRIGID. The pools were consequently empty, since nobody could stand the cold. There isn't really a good kids' swimming pool (both main pools are 4ft 5in deep). The water temperature problem was fixed by day 3 or 4, but it was a disappointment for the first few days. Also, the Barcelo is about as far away from town as you can get along the strip, so it was quite a trip to go anywhere, and as a result we were pretty much stuck in the resort.

On the 3rd night, they moved in a large group travelling together into 2 rooms, with us stuck in the middle. They were up partying all nigth and we called the front desk to make a noise complaint 3 times before they finally wrapped it up at 4am. We complained the next morning and were moved to a new room (after a little palm greasing, of course.) The new room turned out to be slightly better anyway, as the bed didn't sag in the middle like the one in our first room did.
Overall a good experience and we'd stay at a Barcelo resort again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort for 10 nights. Our first impression was that it is beautiful. Last year we stayed at the nicest Barcelo out there, five stars, so I often found myself comparing every little detail. If you have been to a five star beautiful resort, I do not recommend this resort, because it will most likely be a destination, other than the rooms and the view. I'll break everything down for you:

Buffet: My boyfriend had food poisoning from a fish dish from the buffet and spent the entire next two days throwing up in the room. It was terrible, a few nights later he has grabbed a slice of prime rib and the entire thing was uncooked. I felt like they rushed everything to much, also there wasn't a lot of variety. If you're vegetarian, this hotel is definitely not for you. They have a different food group every night so there wasn't a lot to choose from. Breakfast however had quite a different selection, but some days dishes weren't fully cooked.

A la carte: The service was really bad at the Italian place, it got so bad the manager came over to take our order. The Spanish restaurant was wonderful though, I highly recommend. The steak restaurant, was very bland.

Pools: The pool area was really small, and very cold, as they were not heated. Although, the waterfall and garden in the center is beautiful. People get up early to save spots, even though signs and staff specify not to save spots, some people mark there territory and sometimes don't show up all day. It's very irritating, people tend to get catty. When I was there one morning staff came out and took everyones towels who weren't with them.

Bedrooms: They were beautiful, very spacious. We had two bathrooms, that supply soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, comb, shoe polish, shower cap and cotton swabs. The view is breathtaking and every room has a view that is beautiful. Also, the beds are quite comfortable, but the pillows always had me waking up with a sore neck.

Staff: Everyone is very friendly and helpful, besides one women at the front desk who was very rude to us.

Pottery/ Painting class: In front of tower two is a pottery painting class, you choose a product, paint it and then it gets covered with glaze and is put in an oven. It was really relaxing and I enjoyed it very much, Although, new customs only allow this to go home in checked luggage, they will take it if you keep it in your carry on.

Zoo: About a 15 minute walk is the "Puerto Vallarta Zoo," This was my favourite day! There is a giraffe, zebra's, bears, tiger's, lion's, monkey's, etc. Also for an extra cost you can purchase food to feed the animals, I recommend you purchase some food, it gets you great photo's next to the animals.

Beach: The beach isn't great, but it is a good place to tan, there are many, many vendors. They can be pushy at times but just shake your head. Also, there is a message hut on the beach, we had a couples massage for 50 an hour for both of us.

Bars: There are three bars, one swim up, one in the snack area and one in front of Tower 1, that is located outside. Although, swim up and the snack area close early, so there is only one bar during the night, it tends to get quite cold at night so we didn't spend a lot of time at the bar.

If you are young and looking for a good night life then I don't recommend this hotel for you as it seems more of a spot for relaxing.

Reviewed February 25, 2011

Good first, the staff was great. They really did what they could to make sure you where enjoying your time. Now the bad. Only two restaurant tickets for a 7 day trip. When we finally got a reservation to the empty restaurants the food was the same as the bad buffet but plated. This brings me to the management. People are not dumb or new to vacationing. Two nights I was told there where no reservations available for the any of the three resturants. But when we walked by three times between 7 and 10 pm they where all empty. They are super stingy with there towels. You need to choose your towel to dry off with or lay on because you only get one. Really cheap with crappy towels? As for as there beach goes it's about 200 yards wide by 4 feet to the water. There gym was made in the 80's. To wrap up the ammenitys there is a tiny bar to drink at after dinner. That's it, maybe 15 seats total. So unless you are 70 and in bed by 9 hope you like counting stars because that's all there is to do. Finally management is trained to say no. Can I get an extra towel no. Can I get less then 50 pacios to tip no. But you have 10 Dollor ones right there. No. Can we check out 30 min. Yes but it's 25 dollars. Talked to the head useless manager Cesar and he upped it to 75 dollars so we better hurry up. Then continued to show the staff his new iPhone. Don't know why the barcilero runs this property because there other properties are nice and well worth the money. Wrap up go somewhere else until they decide they want to actuly be a resort and not just a collector of your money.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I was amazed at the beautiful room and fantastic service we received during out recent stay. Spacious room, lots of storage for our things, additional amenities such as courtesy robe and slippers, ample towels in the bathroom, extra pillows, and a mattress that was so comfortable, I slept better than at home! Staff were super, helpful and professional. From the top management right down to the maintenance workers, all were friendly and eager to ensure our stay was enjoyable, and that we wanted for nothing. The food was superb. Both the daily buffet meals and the a la carte restaurants were a delight. Little extras such as being given a rose at dinner on Valentine's day, or a complimentary cake on my husband's birthday made us feel like royalty! The grounds were well-kept, clean and beautiful. The pools were fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel and the staff.

1  Thank AnneC2011