My husband and I just returned from our Honeymoon at the Barcelo Puerto Vallarta! It was the BEST! We found all the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly - especially if you take the time to try to speak with them. They have many suggestions of places to go and are more than willing to try to accomodate your every need! We laughed as we remarked that we weren't sure they even knew the word 'no'.
From the clean & spacious rooms, comfy beds (I especially loved the pillows) to the buffets and pools - we honestly don't have any complaints! Okay....maybe the little insect bits we were getting the first couple of days - in Michigan we have little gnat-like things that we call no-see-ums - and trust me, you don't - that's what they're like. Take a little container of Off and you'll be fine (they sell it in the gift shop too if you happen to forget it).
We took $100 in one's and five's for tipping - while tips are included in your package - tipping is hugely appreciated by the staff. We left a few dollars per day for Matilde (our maid) and a couple bucks per day for Olga (our primary Cantina waitress) and Joel or Eduardo (our bartenders). I just can't say enough about how well they took care of us.
There was no shortage of towels, room cleanings, pool chairs or food while we were there. There were no illnesses from water or food (other than those self-induced by over indulging :) ). Many people we asked (and we asked lots) called the Barcelo their favorite resort in Mexico, of which, many were repeat customers. Or, if this was their first time, like us, many will be returning.
Take the time to see the area - whether it's going into the city for shopping, going to a place like Chalupa by water taxi or going into the neighborhood behind the resort to go on the Tequila Tour, you won't be dissappointed. We HIGHLY recommend Tony's Restaurant behind the resort - it was one of the highlights of our vacation - food was out of this world - don't expect to see a paper menu - they'll bring a tray to your table and show you what's on the menu that day! Shrimp were the biggest I've seen. Red Snapper was caught fresh in the bay. Banana Margarita's are to die for! This was at your table on the 2nd story of a building with a sand floor (feel free to take your shoes off) overlooking this neighborhood with a beautiful view of the mountains. If you're lucky enough to meet 'Tony" as your leaving, you'll be doing a shot of Mexican moonshine in the street before you leave!! We went with 4 others we met at the Barcelo and ALL commented on how awesome the experience was.
While it's not necessary that you leave the resort - everything's there that you could need - we wanted to experience the true culture and the people. If you're looking for 'nightlife' or 'clubbing', the Resort doesn't have that per se. It's more like your nieghborhood bar gathering in the Cantina at night - something like 'Cheers'. It's a little more on the quiet side which fit right up our alley for a more adult, romantic Honeymoon (Sunsets are gorgeous!!!) In talking to the staff - May to end-of-June is a little slower time frame which I think is what we experienced as far as how reasonably priced our trip was.
There were quite a few trainees that had just started when we first got there (probably ramping up for their busy June to begin) however, by the end of our week - they seemed to fit right in and you could no longer tell that they were in training.
So....we can't say enough about the Barcelo or the people of Puerto Vallarta!! We loved it and plan on meeting some of the people we met on this trip back there next year for a reunion!!
F Y I - you can get the EXACT same packages and excursions that they try to sign you up for at the airport and at the Resort, just outside the Resort gates for 20-30% less (when you're talking $70-$80/person, it's quite a big savings) It's a little booth, at the top of the hill just outside the Resort gates - you can't miss it.
RELAX AND ENJOY!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barceló Puerto Vallarta***** (formerly Barceló La Jolla de Mismaloya) in Puerto Vallarta, is an elegant, all-inclusive Mexican-style resort. It offers 316 completely renovated and comfortable suites with excellent service, leisure, history, beautiful scenery, exuberant flora and privacy.Relax after a hard day’s work in the hotel spa, catch some rays at one of the hotel pools or take time out to practice your favourite water sport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Jolla Mismaloya
- Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- La Jolla Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta La Jolla De Mismaloya
- Barcelo De Mismaloya
- Barcelo Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- Barcelo La Jolla Mismaloya