“Gorgeous!!!!!”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #33 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I have no idea what people are complaining about. Beautiful, clean resort. Rooms are large and comfortable. Staff is friendly and helpful. Food is excellent!!! Low season is the best ( we were there Aug 19- Aug 23) The best time of the week is Monday - Thursday. The beach is fine. Insects bite everywhere on that shore during rain season and due to location. Wi-Fi signal isn't good, but you are on vacation,-relax... If you are on business trip and absolutely need the Internet access every minute, you have to go somewhere else. Our group of 4 had no any major problems. I would return again if there are no those invisible insects anywhere.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2414 on 4th floor in front of pool and very close to the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Anna P
Write a ReviewReviews (4,684)

Reviewed August 24, 2014

We holded a family reunion at this hotel and to be honest I had the best vacations ever. Loved the service and scenery. The rooms were very nice. Food wise it was really good. But above all I was shocked by the hospitality I was treated with.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank AOrnerlas
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I had forgotten to write this review since we have been here so many times. Our first visit was when it was La Jolla De Mismaloya. A very romantic out of the way resort. Since then there have been many changes, most of them good. We have stayed at Barceló resorts before and you can expect about the same thing at all of them, the only difference is location. Good food, good drinks, great service, and the staff are very good at their jobs. Barceló Mismaloya is about 30 minutes south of PV by taxi, so if you want to go to town the whole travel time is about an hour. Taxi's are plentiful and reasonable if you pay in peso's. The premium package that Barceló's offers is well worth it. Unlimited WiFi in the event you need it, express check in and check out. A specialty guest room with snacks, alcohol and non alcohol beverages that you mix yourself, and unlimited specialty dining.

Room Tip: Ocean front premium package
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 1DaKa
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The resort is in a beautiful and lush setting in the Mismaloya area of Puerto Vallarta. Perhaps I was looking for a bit of the surrounding richness in the resort as I did not find it as charming and that is why I am giving the Barcelo an average score.
We visited in March with family and friends after attending a wedding in Guanajuato Mexico (wonderful city / hotel).
We enjoyed our visit at the Barcelo because of our companions however I would not return to this resort.
Food was average with breakfast being the best meal of the day. We tried the specialty restaurants and they were not much better than the buffet, however according to my brother and his family we missed an excellent fresh fish buffet when we went to the Spanish themed restaurant. Wait staff at the buffet restaurant were very good.
Rooms were large and clean though every day I would get fewer towels and the drink / food in my fridge was not replaced.
When inquiring at the front desk some of the staff were quick to acknowledge you whilst others appeared to ignore you while they talked amongst themselves. They could have been talking business in which case a quick "I'll be with you in a moment" would have been nice instead of having their side or back to me.
I liked the beach and thought the touts were friendly and not aggressive. I enjoyed the pelicans and other birds we saw. Do agree that the small mosquitos are wicked though the vegetation is tropical so beyond the resort's control.
We also did Swimming with the Dolphins through the resort which was well organized and one of the highlights of my trip.
We had a wonderful lunch at the Juan and Only in Mismaloya a short 5-10 minute walk from the resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Ana154932
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were traveling in a group of 12 people. We all booked our package on Orbitz the same package which is premium. Upon arrival, they told us that a few of us didn't book the premium. Of course we were upset since we all paid the same. So they made us pay 250 dollars for the premium so that we can get a better room and have special access to premium area with our friends. It's NOT worth it. If I would of known that the premium area is just a lounge with free wifi, I wouldn't have paid the 250 extra on top of what I should of gotten free!

The room was nice and housekeeping does a nice job cleaning it. Food is somewhat good. The property have a nice view. The beach area of the hotel is quite small and located right below the restaurant. Bad location for the volleyball court because people would hit the ball up into the restaurant.

Entertainment is a joke. The staff tries hard but it just too corny and not fun enough for the guest.
Its a family resort, so don't expect to get crazy or else other people would look down on you for having too much fun.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank MrT972
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

We just came back from an amazing trip in a most amazing place to stay.
The service, rooms, view, location, food (specially food) was more that we expected. One of my kids was out my sight for a minute and in 10 seconds the whole crew from every department around where looking for him covering the pool area (most dangerous for a 4 year old) in no time. I really appreciate everything the staff did to make every minute of our vacations unforgettable.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Claudia N
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I am very late in my review of the Barceló and my daughter's wedding last October. I could not have imagined a more perfect setting or event. The manager was on site and attended the event assuring that his staff was on-point at every step. The wait staff were so efficient that we often turned around and our beverages had been promptly bussed away. The food from the Don Quixote restaurant and our custom menu was excellent - we had not one complaint and the vegetarian choice was delicious as well. The wedding cake was a Mexican version of a cheesecake that was one I look forward to having when I return to the resort. All details were tended to in prompt time from music to fireworks to food - appetizers to dessert!
We felt so lucky that we discovered the Barceló about three years ago on an impromptu vacation. It has become our at least yearly retreat since then. The rooms are fabulous - very large and comfortable and we enjoy the "extras" of the club premium program. We feel it is worth every bit of the extra cost. The staff at the Barceló become your friends....Humberto & Sr. Diaz have been there each time we have visited. ..welcoming us like family. Everyone is very friendly - from housekeepers to bar staff.
I do agree that if you are sensitive to bug bites you need to bring repellent. This is the edge of the jungle! Regarding other issues that people have...I wouldn't put too much into it. For those who complain that drinks are weak...ask for a double. We have never found this to be the case. The restaurant options provide us with plenty of choices. If you are unable to find something to your liking, I am surprised.
We are making our plans for October to celebrate their first anniversary - Barceló here we come!

Room Tip: All rooms have water views but choose the side opposite the cantina if you are early to bed!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends