5,274 results
All reviewsthe cantinala jollaclub premiumspanish restaurantdon quixotebug bitesgrand master suitesnack barpremium roomno see umsfamily suitefeed the animalsbaby tigerssand fleasspecialty restaurantsel edenbring bug spray
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is our second trip to Barceló in beautiful Puerto Vallarta. Two couples joined us for this trip and they thoroughly enjoyed their experience at this beautiful, all inclusive resort. We were upgraded to Room 2519, three floors down from where we stayed last year for nine days. Our housekeeper Cecelia Moreno always made sure our room was spotless and well equipped including some great towel sculptures on several days. The view of the small bay and surrounding area from our room was spectacular and most relaxing. We again enjoyed a daily breakfast buffet with everything one could imagine from pastries, fruit, waffles, french toast, eggs and omelets made to order by Martha, along with many yummy Mexican dishes. There are three "specialty" restaurants (make your reservations early on Sunday) which are Capri (Italian), Don Quixote (Spanish), and the outdoor Grill Los Arcos (Steak/Seafood). Grill Los Arcos is converted for luncheon and snacks at 11:30 AM and the main buffet also for lunch. The adult beverages are top-notch. The food service was always attentive and the food was always good. There are four pools to choose from with plenty of chaise lounges and umbrellas. There is good entertainment nightly in the theater area beginning at 9:00 PM and live music in the Cantina nightly. The grounds are beautifully manicured and all of the employees we encountered met you with a smile in addition to a friendly greeting. Special thanks to all the hard-working employees and fine folks at Barceló. Special shout-outs to Brenda Hernandez (Cantina), Leonardo (Cantina), Guillermo "William" (Cantina), Edrey (buffet/restaurants), Rene (buffet/restaurants), Giovanni (buffet), and Carlos (buffet/restaurants). Many thanks to Management Assistant Paola Martinez G. for all courtesies extended to us during our two-week visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in Tower 2 on an upper floor as they are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gregory J
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on March 16th, 2014.

We thank you very much for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home and also. I would like to thank you also for your kind sincerity about your experience with us, this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Our main goal is to give to all our guest the service which we build our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have, because we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Barceló.

Receive warm regards from all our staff of our Restaurants and La cantina who have served you with all their passion and also from Paola my Assistant who is the one who can help me to provide an exceptional and very attentive to our guests and which is very happy for make of your holidays a wonderful memory for all of you.

Thank you for your openness and we hope you give us soon the pleasure of visit us again and be your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed from the 5th of March to the 13th. The Property is very well maintained and the gardens are beautiful. The resort is very compact with three pools and two hot tubs, the one pool has the swim up bar. The staff were just great and were always helpful and friendly. The nightly entertainment was very good and worth taking the time to watch and participate. The ocean and beach is short but is quite stunning. We observed a couple of pods of Whales swim by during our stay. We also took one of the many available boats to snorkel at Los Arcos. This is an amazing experience. We paid 50 dollars an hour for two hours and this was more than enough time to snorkel and to take in some sights. There are several guides and boats available on the beach just off the resort. We went with Chui. He was great and pulled star fish and other creatures from the bottom for my girls to see while we snorkeled. I highly recommend going to Los Arcos which is a five minute boat ride from the resort.

The resort is next to the set for a movie filmed in the sixties called The Night of the Iguana and is credited with initiating the tourism boom in Vallarta. Much of the set remains and can be seen from the hotel and the walkway comes up close. Rent or buy the movie its well done and stars Richard Burton and Eva Gardner. The scenery in the movie shows what the site looked like before the hotel was constructed. Good fun!!!

Food was adequate in the buffet restaurant, breakfast is best. The reservation restaurants are really great as well as the Los Arcos Cafe by the beach during the day they serve a la carte burgers and sandwiches etc.

Town is about a twenty minute bus or taxi ride. Both are fine and a taxi is 8 pesos and a taxi with tip 150 pesos. Little or no difference in time between the taxi and the bus, I recommend the bus!

The only constructive comment I have for the hotel is to improve the Internet fee system. I paid for the Internet access and discovered that the first device that pairs with the server is the only one that will have access. If you want an additional device you pay again. This is the first time in all the traveling I have done (which is considerable) that I have encountered this type of restriction. If you pay for the Internet be sure to ask many questions to fully understand what you are purchasing. On the upside Internet is free all along the Malecon and many places in Puerto Vallarta including most of the other resorts.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the ocean from what I could see. Higher would allow you to see the ocean and possibly sight a pod of whales passing by.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Michael182201

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on March 16th, 2014.

We thank you very much for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home. I would like to thank you also for your kind sincerity about your experience with us, this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Our main goal is to give to all our guest the best service which we build our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have, because we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Barceló.

We will consider your comments about Wi-Fi service you receive, because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day as the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed there fr Feb28-March7 the service was great,rooms very nice,staff SUPER, short distance too the zoo,The Buffetts were good ,The activities were fun loved playing bingo,My son and his wife took me for my Birthday WE had A GREAT time thanks Barceló for making our stay WONDERFUL

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We added a three night stay at the Barcelo 'all inclusive' to accommodate our flight schedule. The hotel, grounds and location are very pretty. Our room was quite spacious with a living room area, plus a large bedroom with an additional seating area. Bathroom between the two rooms with a nice shower. Perfect set up for families as the living room area has a day bed with a trundle, and a sliding door. There is no mini bar in room, just a small fridge with 2 beers and pop. Room service is an additional charge for regular rooms.
The balcony had a nice view (think they all have an ocean view), the patio furniture was nice, but it was not private. A guest two rooms down could talk to me as the walls separating balconies are low.
Maid service was good, however it only happens once a day, so you won't have fresh towels in the morning unless you ask for extra. There is no turn down service, robes or slippers.
Pool wait service was quite sparse, I initially thought there was no service and you had to get your own.
Making dinner reservations is a chore. We were finally told they could squeeze in a table for four at 7 pm at Los Arcos. We were there for two hours and there were still many empty table around us. On our last day we were told the earliest we could get into the Spanish a la carte was 9:30. We showed up at 7 and the maitre de was able to find us a table, thank you. The Mexican coffee here is not quite the show we have had at other Mexican resorts.
It only took half an hour in our taxi back to the airport, however the locale is quite different from PV. You are right by the mountains in a lovely little bay. Staff for the most part were very pleasant, though our check in gal could use some customer service.
Would I stay again? Certainly not for a week, but if I got another Hotwire deal to accommodate our flight schedule I might consider it.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Heather_Gray

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on March 16th, 2014.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met all your expectations during your stay.

Your feelings about the service you receive will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We do appreciate your comments this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Went with a group of 6. Overall, we were very impressed at the level of detail and care put into the resort. We found it very cleanly. The staff were friendly. It all seemed very well maintained, especially the beautiful landscaping. It also felt like a lot of thought had been put into the layout, which sounds like weird thing to mention, but I think makes all the difference. (I particularly loved how the hot tub was on like a little secret island in the middle of the pool.) I personally loved that they didn't have a big list of rules posted and that everyone was very laid back.
One piece of advice is to forget the spa. I wasn't too impressed with my massage. The cheaper ones on the beach are the way to go. This seems to be an insider tip that I wished I'd had from my first day there.
Also, was impressed with the snorkeling available right off the side of the beach. Snorkel rentals are free if you're a guest at the resort. On a previous trip to Puerto Vallarta, I did one of the proper snorkel excursions to Marietas, and was surprised to find that I saw more impressive sea life in the bay in front of our resort. Maybe all the traffic at Marietas scares them off?
My one and only negative critique is about the food. While there are tons of options and many of them quite delicious, myself and all of my friends were horrified by how insanely salty it all was. Salt was added to things that didn't need to be salted, and not just like a little bit. We couldn't figure out if this was catered to Americans or what, but there was salt available on the tables. Why punish everyone? My lips and mouth were basically burning after every meal, so it'd be nice if they took it down a notch with the salt. (Also, one of the people in our party is vegetarian and the majority of the time there were no vegetarian options, unless she wanted to eat iceberg lettuce for every meal. She was a little bit dumbfounded, as authentic Mexican includes a lot of vegetarian options. However, I get the feeling that this is pretty standard at these sorts of destinations.)
All in all, would go back to this beautiful resort. Wish I was there right now, actually...

Room Tip: If you want a room that gets the sun, pick the room on the North(?) side, (to the right of reception). But are you really going to be spending enough time in the room to care?
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adrienne3920

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on March 14th, 2014. We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

We will take matter immediately on the points you mentioned of your feelings about the quality of the food, because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day as the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

In Barceló Resorts we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Puerto Vallarta.

We hope you give us the pleasure of choosing us as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.