5,275 results
All reviewsthe cantinala jollaclub premiumspanish restaurantdon quixotebug bitesgrand master suitesnack barpremium roomno see umsfamily suitefeed the animalsbaby tigerssand fleasspecialty restaurantsel edenbring bug spray
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We added a three night stay at the Barcelo 'all inclusive' to accommodate our flight schedule. The hotel, grounds and location are very pretty. Our room was quite spacious with a living room area, plus a large bedroom with an additional seating area. Bathroom between the two rooms with a nice shower. Perfect set up for families as the living room area has a day bed with a trundle, and a sliding door. There is no mini bar in room, just a small fridge with 2 beers and pop. Room service is an additional charge for regular rooms.
The balcony had a nice view (think they all have an ocean view), the patio furniture was nice, but it was not private. A guest two rooms down could talk to me as the walls separating balconies are low.
Maid service was good, however it only happens once a day, so you won't have fresh towels in the morning unless you ask for extra. There is no turn down service, robes or slippers.
Pool wait service was quite sparse, I initially thought there was no service and you had to get your own.
Making dinner reservations is a chore. We were finally told they could squeeze in a table for four at 7 pm at Los Arcos. We were there for two hours and there were still many empty table around us. On our last day we were told the earliest we could get into the Spanish a la carte was 9:30. We showed up at 7 and the maitre de was able to find us a table, thank you. The Mexican coffee here is not quite the show we have had at other Mexican resorts.
It only took half an hour in our taxi back to the airport, however the locale is quite different from PV. You are right by the mountains in a lovely little bay. Staff for the most part were very pleasant, though our check in gal could use some customer service.
Would I stay again? Certainly not for a week, but if I got another Hotwire deal to accommodate our flight schedule I might consider it.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Heather_Gray
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on March 16th, 2014.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met all your expectations during your stay.

Your feelings about the service you receive will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We do appreciate your comments this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Went with a group of 6. Overall, we were very impressed at the level of detail and care put into the resort. We found it very cleanly. The staff were friendly. It all seemed very well maintained, especially the beautiful landscaping. It also felt like a lot of thought had been put into the layout, which sounds like weird thing to mention, but I think makes all the difference. (I particularly loved how the hot tub was on like a little secret island in the middle of the pool.) I personally loved that they didn't have a big list of rules posted and that everyone was very laid back.
One piece of advice is to forget the spa. I wasn't too impressed with my massage. The cheaper ones on the beach are the way to go. This seems to be an insider tip that I wished I'd had from my first day there.
Also, was impressed with the snorkeling available right off the side of the beach. Snorkel rentals are free if you're a guest at the resort. On a previous trip to Puerto Vallarta, I did one of the proper snorkel excursions to Marietas, and was surprised to find that I saw more impressive sea life in the bay in front of our resort. Maybe all the traffic at Marietas scares them off?
My one and only negative critique is about the food. While there are tons of options and many of them quite delicious, myself and all of my friends were horrified by how insanely salty it all was. Salt was added to things that didn't need to be salted, and not just like a little bit. We couldn't figure out if this was catered to Americans or what, but there was salt available on the tables. Why punish everyone? My lips and mouth were basically burning after every meal, so it'd be nice if they took it down a notch with the salt. (Also, one of the people in our party is vegetarian and the majority of the time there were no vegetarian options, unless she wanted to eat iceberg lettuce for every meal. She was a little bit dumbfounded, as authentic Mexican includes a lot of vegetarian options. However, I get the feeling that this is pretty standard at these sorts of destinations.)
All in all, would go back to this beautiful resort. Wish I was there right now, actually...

Room Tip: If you want a room that gets the sun, pick the room on the North(?) side, (to the right of reception). But are you really going to be spending enough time in the room to care?
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adrienne3920

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on March 14th, 2014. We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

We will take matter immediately on the points you mentioned of your feelings about the quality of the food, because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day as the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

In Barceló Resorts we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Puerto Vallarta.

We hope you give us the pleasure of choosing us as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have gone to a different Barceló in Mexico for the last 7 years. Ixtapa 2 times, Manzanillo 3 times,Los Cabos once and now to PUERTO VALLARTA. This is the worst Barceló Resort of them. Their customer service was pretty much non-existent.Even though tipping is included in the price, I gave additional tips for meals and cleaning the room each day was well as for drinks by the pool.as I believe this is the correct thing to do. There were 3 of us in a Family Suite Deluxe. The picture of this suite on line is very deceiving. The room you actually receive is not the same. and just a FYI, per Barceló management the only difference premium and deluxe. is the floor the room is on.The top 2 floors are premium, the rest are considered deluxe.With 3 of us in the room we asked for 2 coffee packets each day and 3 bottles of water to make the coffee. It takes 1 1/3 bottles to make a pot of 10ounce coffee. We had to ask for this pretty much daily. Towels and wash clothes were a whole separate matter. Again we had to ask for these pretty much daily.Two times we had to have our key cards reset, one time the entire lock needed to be re-built. Trading in the pool towels for clean ones was a daily challenge. No clean towels available after 2pm until the nest morning. Wait time for drinks by the pool was approximately an hour between rounds. The food was mediocure at best. The lady making the omlets needs more lessons. Whoever made the french toast needs lessons also. Neither of those food items are difficult to prepare. Their themed dinner menu had very few of the "themed" items. Prime rib night was extremely disappointing, as was seafood night ,and Italian night . Food was not kept to temperature.There is no adult pool area; even though the pools are posted no food or drink IN THE POOL children of various ages had ice cream cones, chips, drinks in the pools. Security stood, watched, walked away. No enforcement of rules. 3 days into the stay one of us became very ill, vomiting and diareaha, lasted 14 hours. 3 days later the 2nd one of us became ill for 36 hours. THESE SAME 2 PEOPLE became ill again 72 hours after their first illness. This prompted us to speak with other guests and it seems several other parties had the same illness. We spoke with 5 others that had the same illness within their group. Pretty sure it was brought on by the poor quality, prep and care of the food. Mentioned to management and they had no concerns
This was by far the worst vacation experience at a Barceló. Will not be returning here. Very disappointed . Definitely not the care, concern, that was demonstrated in the past Barceló experience. For an area dependent on tourism, they did nothing to promote this. I certainly will not be referring friends and family to this resort. The resort was approximately 1/3 capacity, so the staff was not being overworked and had time to provide excellent customer service if the management chose to provide it

Room Tip: go to a different resort
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Deana K
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on March 12th, 2014.

I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met your expectations during your stay.

We regret your feelings about the housekeeping and restaurant services, we will take matter on this quickly to avoid this type of comments again in the future; regarding our Club Premium Services it is very sorry you could not enjoy all the benefits this provide, it is not only having higher floors, also you have the best room with the best view, room service 24/7 without any fee, free internet access in all devices you want for Wi-Fi, additional discounts at the Spa and the Mini market, premium amenities in your room plus a bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival, the total access to our exclusive lounge and more.

Even so I assure you that all this issues will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

It is unfortunate that you could not enjoy all the services we have for you.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Just got back from a 5 night trip to Barcelo with my two girlfriends. The resort amenities, activities, food, room, beach, and people at Barcelo made it a great experience. We are very active 25 year olds from Colorado and wished the gym was better. Several of the machine were broken and there isn't really anywhere to go for a long run outside around the resort. We ended up walking lots, playing water polo, and did yoga (the yoga was basically stretching 101 so don't expect to be very challenged). The food was really good, we ate way too much! We made reservations at the restaurants each night and enjoyed it more than the buffet. My favorite part of the trip was the people. Everyone at the resort is very nice and always smiling. I made lots of friends with locals and other tourists. In the evenings we hung out at the Cantina and there was always something fun going on.

I suggest:
1.) Bring lots of one dollar bills - atm fees are expensive and you don't need pesos. It is way easier to figure out what you are paying if you are using dollar bills. It is great to have $1 to tip people otherwise you will end up giving them 200 pecos with is about $2 and you go through the money much faster.
2.) Go fishing with a local - just walk out to the beach and ask for Ramiro. People will help you find him and he will take you out fishing, snorkeling, or scuba diving. We paid $100 to go fishing for 3 hours with 3 people. He said it was a special deal, but I'm sure he'll give you something similar.
3.) Don't pay from premium - It is an extra $30 per day. They said it includes premium alcohol, we didn't pay extra but they always gave me premium liquor when I asked.
4.) Don't leave your phone on, keep it on airplane mode. It isn't expensive to send/receive texts but once I accidentally left airplane mode off and all my apps used the roaming capabilities and my bill was about $60 for the data. Send texts, but make sure you always put your phone back in airplane mode asap.
5.) Take the bus into town, it is really nice and only costs $1! Don't be concerned about being far from the city, trust me it is paradise at Mismaloya (small town where the resort is). Transportation by bus is safe/easy and a cab ride is only $12.
6.) Get a deal through Apple Vacations - there are lots of perks! We got an amazing deal on our trip and were pleasantly surprised by all the other perks Apple provided. Free checked bags, they gave us bottles of water on the plane (instead of a cup), and transport to and from the airport. Those little things add up! We also went the beginning of March, so we got a good deal and it wasn't too busy.
7.) Do the activities! It is hard to pull yourself away from the pool and your book, but I was always very happy when I did the planned activities through the resort. We loved Gersen (one of the activities coordinators)!

Room Tip: If you don't like your room, just ask if they can put you somewhere different! They are very nice and accommodating. When we arrived, our room only had a King size bed and for the 3 of us we preferred 2 beds... so they moved us! All the rooms have a beautiful view of the bay and resort.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Kassidy1988

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on March 12th, 2014.

We thank you very much for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home. I would like to thank you also for your kind sincerity about your experience with us, this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Our main goal is to give to all our guest the service which we build our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have.

We appreciate your comments about the quality of our gym you gave us; I assure you we will take matter on this immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day.

Receive warm regards from Gerson who was very happy for make your holidays a wonderful memory for all of you.

Thank you for your openness and we hope you give us the pleasure of choosing us as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Went on vacation with a friend. This was my 7th time in PV and the first time I've stayed in the Mismaloya area or on a Barcelo property. The service and the food were excellent! Everyone super friendly and helpful, hotel very clean. We only ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch, which had lots of options and was better than I expected but we ate at all 3 a la carte restaurants for dinner and they were pretty great. We added the premium concierge option and it was worth it. The 'premium lounge' for this is on the main floor rather than on the floor of our room, but it worked out fine. Nice to have the amenities. View was great from our room and room was quite large with 2 separate sitting areas. The only negative thing I can say about our entire week there was that the organized pool games were LOUD. Microphone with blaring upbeat music and then games all afternoon that get a bit annoying if you're trying to relax. I get what they're trying to do, but it's too bad the noisy pool area is connected to the waterfall pool area and that the pool bar is on the noisy side. Seems very spring break friendly although they say 'no spring breakers'. The pool with the waterfall helped to drown out some of the noise. We'd have hung at the beach more but the water was too high so there really wasn't a 'beach' area to lay out in. I've walked through this property a couple years ago and the beach was much larger so it must just be the amount of rainfall this year? Still very pretty to look at and awesome to hear the crashing waves even from our room with the sliding doors closed. Overall, fantastic and relaxing stay. The Spa was very nice as well- we got massages outside overlooking the ocean. Their treatments were very reasonably priced and I wish I'd have gotten a few more things while I was there. The bus stop is right outside the property so it was super convenient to ride right into old town for less than a buck. The property is about a 15-20min bus or cab ride from old town. Cab costs about $14-15 to downtown.

Room Tip: Go for the premium level rooms.. they're spacious and the view is great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank JodyZ35805
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on March 12th, 2014.

We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home, this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Your feelings about the music at the pool that you mentioned will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day as the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

Our main goal is to give to all our guest the service and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have, because we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Barceló.