“Overbooked convention and infestation of noseeums”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #34 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The trip started out great, friendly staff, nice accommodations, comfortable bed, ample linens and amenities in the room. Hotel was quiet and pleasant the first three days. Food and staff were wonderful. Then, then a convention showed up. The hotel was overbooked and there were patrons from Mexico City everywhere. It was agreeable during the day when they were out on city tours, but late afternoon and evening, the hotel was a frenzy. It was like spring break, ridiculous when one wants a peaceful family vacation. To add to our delight, the no see-ums (midges) showed up, and they keep giving us fits, three days after coming home we are still suffering from bites. Our advice is to contact the hotel before you book to be sure it is not overbooked, bring spray with Deet. On a good note, the staff was very friendly and the food for the most part was varied and fresh, with a few exceptions. We will not be returning to this hotel, but will return to the area. It is beautiful and the local communities were a pleasure to spend time with. We had Club premium, but never received our welcome gift. The Kids club was rarely open.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank L H
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on December 4th, 2013. We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments.

We are very disappointing to not have met your expectations during your stay because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta the main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, as we want they back home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Throughout the year our hotel receives different kinds of national and international tourism, such as couples, families and groups, we regret that the recent group has disturbed your tranquility and relaxation.

Your feelings about the service you receive will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

We do appreciate your comments and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo Pacheco
Gerente General / General Manager
Barceló Puerto Vallarta

Write a ReviewReviews (4,688)

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My sisters, brother-in-law, son, nephew, niece, friends and I went to the Barcelo Puerto Vallarta in October 2013. This Hotel is by far my favourite place I have been to. Not only is the hotel beautiful but the people there are the best!!! They are friendly, helpful and are genuinely happy to see you, the Manager Vinicio (sp.) went above and beyond to make us feel welcome.

Some of the people that made this trip memorable are: David, Antonio, Ulises, Richardo, Mario, Lucy, Humberto, Felix, Marco, there are many more (especially the bar staff, buffet staff and security) but their names have slipped my mind.

This is my third time to this resort, my sister's, niece and son's second, it keeps getting better each time and we will keep returning each year. When we returned this time October we were welcomed and remembered.

Next to the resort is the small village of Mismaloya, we met a few people from there and they were helpful, one older man was trying to teach me spanish and told us of the turtles that come ashore to lay there eggs and how the resort digs them out after the mama leaves to put them in a safe place away from predators until they are born, there were thousands of eggs in that area, it was very cool to see.

The bugs are pretty bad, you don't see them but you get the bites which didn't bother me too much and both my legs were covered from the Sierra Madre excursion, but the resort is right beside a tropical forest what do you expect. If you can't handle the bites then stay in town and miss the beauty of the Sierra Madre.

Overall you have beautiful lush greenery on side and the ocean on the other, it cannot be beat, plus it is where The Night of the Iguana was filmed lol. I cannot wait to go back and this will be a yearly retreat for us!!! I'd recommend the Barcelo PV to anyone!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms here are beautiful and suites. The Grand Master Suite is gorgeous, it is like having a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MelanieMcCallum
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Lovely setting about 1/2 hour out of Puerto Vallarta, food was average although we only ate at the buffet. But the elevators did not work!! Not only that, they couldn't find our reservation although we'd made it 6 months in advance, so they did not pick us up at the airport. All in all, not that great for what we paid. Also, they only had showers, no bathtubs, and there was a rubber sheet under the bedsheet, ugh and made you sweaty. I'd only give it 3 stars.

Room Tip: Check to make sure an elevator works!! It was very hot there, you might want a room on the south si...
1  Thank Donna W
Reviewed November 21, 2013

To start of I'll say that this was my third trip to Mexico but by far the worst. It had it's good and bad but more bad then good. First of the bugs...dear lord they were horrible. I never seen any of the bugs but i sure had a LOT of bites and boy were they ever itchy. They had this thing they called "local nights" where the hotel bar got taken over by the locals and then they would only allow the females to come in and get drinks but not our boyfriends. Then there was also this HUGE group of locals, maybe 100+ who came to stay at the hotel for a the last couple days of our visit and they would constantly whistle at the girls and say inappropriate things to us and even try and touch us and followed one of the girls in the bathroom. And dealing with that situation is a whole different story, first the hotel ignored us and pretend like nothing happened and it wasn't till the bride and groom went to the front desk and complained that they kicked this one guy and his family of the resort. At the bar it was always the locals first and sometimes you would stand for minutes and it's like they didn't even care or pay attention to you and then gave you attitude. Last, it was to far out of town, about 30-40 min on a very windy road so if you get car sick this will deff not be a joy ride for you then. Quite a few of people in our group got car sick and also got sick on the resort. Personally I love Mexico and the culture, i find it to be such an amazing experience but would NEVER EVER waste my money on this resort again. The resort was located in a cove so the ocean was not to clean and smelled funky and way to many birds. It's not the ocean and beach one expects when you travel to Mexico. all in all...just don't go here. there are so many better resorts then this one.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel :)
7  Thank Dee H
Reviewed November 19, 2013

A very large group of us stayed at this Hotel in November 2013 for a wedding and every person I spoke with said they would not return to the Barceló in Puerto Vallarta.

1. When we stayed here it was probably at least 50% Mexican locals that go there for a 1-day or 3-day pass. I have absolutely nothing against locals, every other trip we have taken to Mexico they have been so kind and welcoming. But a lot of the locals we encountered at this hotel were NOT kind. The local men gave the guys in our group a very hard time, almost getting into fights several times, they also would also chase after the women, whistle, say and do inappropriate things to them. At one point we had to get one of them kicked out for following one of the females we were with into the bathroom and trying to get into her bathroom stall. It took the staff until the next day to agree to kick him out. I believe two of the six nights we stayed it was considered "local" night in the ONE bar on the resort and security would conveniently come up with every excuse to keep the male tourists out - yet the women were always welcome no questions asked...big surprise.

2. A lot of the bar staff were very rude. We were consistently ignored at the bars even if there was no one else around. They acted like it was a huge inconvenience to get us drinks even if we were tipping them well. The tour guides/concierges were also rude and unaccommodating, one morning I was so sick and couldn't go on our ATV excursion and when I had asked the tour guide/concierge before the trip if it was even possible to get my money back (the rest of the group was still going) he literally laughed in my face and said "No, why would I do that, what's in that for me? Go get a doctors note and then we'll talk."

3. The "beach". It's located in a small cove, and although the view is beautiful, the sand is extremely rough, we found broke glass twice, and the water was full of birds and boats, everyone we were with who spent time in the water got ear infections, and there are no waves to "play" in at all. The locals selling items on the beach are relentless, there are tons of them, they're very pushy and they will not leave you alone. Right beside the resort is a local business area where you can eat, buy some items, get boat rides, massages, etc. and the locals in there are very nice, I'd suggest going there to book your trips/excursions as they are way cheaper.

4. BUGS!!! The sand flies (which is what I think they are?) are unreal!! They aren't just in the sand they are everywhere on the resort. They're so small you cant see them biting you and no matter how much bug spray we applied ALL of us are completely covered head to toe in tons of extremely itchy bug bites.

The resort is min. 30 minutes from the edge of town, it's at the very end of the hotel chains and it costs anywhere from $15-$30 (one-way) to get anywhere worth going to. The only positives I can give about this resort is that the grounds are very well kept, it's very clean, the rooms are big and beautiful with very good views, comfortable beds, the pools are nice and although there is hardly any variety - the food is pretty good.

We have stayed at the Barceló in the Mayan Riviera and it was AMAZING - best resort we've ever stayed at.. guess you shouldn't pick and choose hotels by the chain name.

Room Tip: Don't get a room above the bar it's very noisy, the higher the floor the better the view.
6  Thank Brittany B
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on November 19th, 2013 . We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology for the non-intentional incidents that they experienced during your stay in our Hotel.

We are very disappointing to not have met your expectations during your stay because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta the main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve.

Throughout the year our hotel receives different kinds of national and international tourism, such as couples, families and groups, we regret that the local people has disturbed your tranquility and relaxation.

Regarding the presence of insects, being the Hotel surrounded by mountains, and vegetation, offering guests wonderful scenery, it must be assumed that we cannot avoid completely the presence of the insects; anyways we would like to inform that we have a daily fumigation program in the Hotel

We regret your feelings about the service you receive, they will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

In relation to the beach, we are in the process of acquiring the “Playas Limpias” (clean beach) certification by the state government, as well as the privatization of the area for the convenience of all our customers due to the feedback we have received from them, which are our main goal.

We invited you to trust again in us and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo Pacheco
Gerente General / General Manager
Barceló Puerto Vallarta

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed the week of Oct. 14th-Oct. 21st, 2013.

We had the Master Suite. It was absolutley beautiful and so spacious. Our suite was located on the corner of the building and our patio wrapped around the whole suite giving us an amazing view of both the resort and the ocean. Everything was very clean, nice furniture and decor, you literally get your money's worth for the room/ condo. I highly recommend Going Premium, it gives you access to dinner at the resort every night, 24 hour room service, reservations, premium drinks, and free Wi-Fi.

The food at the resort is very good! The buffet was good, great service at every restaurant. I like that the restuarant was closed in and air conditioned.

I was nervous after we booked our trip because of all the reviews I was reading from people and getting sick. But, when we walked into the restaurant they had you use hand sanitizer before they sat you down.

The swim up bar was amazing and a great place to just relax and people watch.

They have excursions you can purchase at the hotel and they are through Vallarta Adventures. We Swam with the Dolphins and went on a Rhythm of the Nights tour. You take a boat out to the middle of and island and you have a romantic candlite dinner and then see a show.

Overall this place is amazing and beautiful. Everyone who works at the resort is amazing, friendly and they really make you feel at home.

We are going back in two weeks to spend Thanksgiving there with our familes.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meechell5
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a great family trip in PV but I will never return to Barcelo.

1. The hotel was run down. needs major remodeling.
2. food was very bad
3. customer service was not good. they could have been a lot more efficient.
4. it would have been very helpful to receive an activity sheet every morning like most all inclusiveness provide. we never got one.
5. the elevators were TERRIBLY maintained.
6. the hallways were very dark
7. the tiled floor was painted. who paints tile?
8. not enough pool service to keep up with the empty dirty drinks.
9. bathrooms were super dated.
10. one of the public bathroom lights did not work. Too dark to use.
11. floors were always slippery due to the pool. my daughter fell several times.
12. we heard through a taxi driver that when it used to be hotel de mismaloya it was fabulous but when Barcelo took over it deteriorated.

We spent a lot of money offsite on food. My excursions were great. we organized them ourselves.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family