My family had a very relaxing week at this very well maintained resort from May 25 to June 1st 2013. We were on the 7th floor of tower 2 with the perfect view of the ocean and the pools, our room was amazing with two bathrooms and a large balcony. The resort was only at about one third occupancy so it was very quiet but there were no lines ups for anything. The staff are always cleaning and gardens are immaculate, but the service could have been more energetic (maybe just the end of a long season). The food was excellent with lots of choices (but very little fruit) and no one got sick. They had a different theme each night. We never went to any of the fine dining restaurants because my wife and daughter loved the buffet choices. The entertainment was usual for Mexico and after the show the bar in Tower 1 had live music (loud) until 12:30am.
Now about the beach, this resort is in a small bay and has a very small beach shared with about 30 different fishing/tour boats, if you went to the beach you would get a few offers for all kinds of trips. While the beach had about 75 lounge chairs there were few to nobody on the beach at any time of the day. The water had areas of slime (maybe oil/gas scum....something) see my pictures that made both the beach and the swimming unattractive. I do not know if it was just the tide, the wind or if this is normal for this bay but if you are going for a beach vacation you will not enjoy this one. As well the the water gets deep very fast (within 5 to 6 feet) which makes the waves very aggressive, so this is not a beach for small children or anyone who does not swim. We spent all of our time at the two pools although I prefer a sandy beach, however the swim up bar helped ease the pain. Bring your bug spray becuase you will get eaten alive by the sand fleas.
This resort is at best a 4 star because of the lack of a beach, average service and no effort to give the extra frills, towel animals in the rooms, fruit or ice carvings in buffet and some areas of hotes are just plain.....but the rooms for families are perfect.
I would not go back to this hotel because of the beach but if you want to sit by the pool and have great food this resort is good value at last minute prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barceló Puerto Vallarta***** (formerly Barceló La Jolla de Mismaloya) in Puerto Vallarta, is an elegant, all-inclusive Mexican-style resort. It offers 316 completely renovated and comfortable suites with excellent service, leisure, history, beautiful scenery, exuberant flora and privacy.Relax after a hard day’s work in the hotel spa, catch some rays at one of the hotel pools or take time out to practice your favourite water sport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Barcelo, Priceline, Odigeo, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Barcelo Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Jolla Mismaloya
- Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- La Jolla Puerto Vallarta
- Barcelo De Mismaloya
- Puerto Vallarta La Jolla De Mismaloya
- Barcelo Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- Barcelo La Jolla Mismaloya