My family and I spent 10 days at this resort from Apr 1-10/13 and had a Junior Suite (7th floor, tower 1) with one bathroom, a king size bed and a separate room area with 2 beds for the kids. Room service was great and the mini bar was re-stocked daily, although since there were 4 of us, it would have been nice to get more than one small bag of chips/day.
The resort was fairly quite while we were there so the pools were not that busy. Overall we found it to be very clean and well maintained. Compared to the other resorts we have stayed at in Mexico, we didn't find the nightly entertainment to be very entertaining. It also didn't help that it takes place in a theater without air conditioning (very humid and uncomfortable).
The food was good and the buffets provided a decent variety considering the resort wasn't very busy. The main complaint from my wife/kids was that the ice cream machines seemed to always be out of order, and it was also frustrating that they seemed to constantly run out certain alcohol.
There were two main concerns we had with our visit that will prevent us from returning - our boys wanted to take part in the Barcy (kid's) club one afternoon so we checked them in for 30 minutes. When we went back to pick them up, the group had left the room (back in 5 minutes sign on the door) so we took a walk to pass a bit more time. Well, we happened to find both of our kids in the playground (near the pool) by themself and the Barcy Club staff was nowhere to be seen. Our boys are 4 and 6 and it should be noted that the pools are fairly deep and the ocean is close by (small beach). When I approached the front desk to speak to a manager about my concern, it took over a day to get someone to follow up with me and then I was told "we will make sure something like this will never happen again". Needless to say, the boys did not use the club after that.
The second issue happened one evening after dinner. We were enjoying a family swim in the kid pool when a fight broke out between a group of people at the pool with the swim up bar. It took a few minutes for any staff to show up and they basically did nothing, waiting until the fight was over. Once they had the groups separated, they moved to different parts of the pool. One group consisted of a husband, wife (who was in the fight) and their young son (about 10 years old). The husband and wife ended up arguing and he actually hit her in the face and dropped her to the ground (kid was crying hysterically). Again, staff did nothing except stand around and watch. When she stood back up they walked away - assuming back to their room.
We were appalled that the staff allowed the people who were fighting to stay at the pool and they even continued to serve them alcohol! We overheard another guest speaking to the manager that evening about the incident and he was told that they handled it appropriately and the guests were not going to be removed from the resort.
The day before we were scheduled to leave we got a call from the manager asking us how our stay was. I told him about the above issues and his only reply was "we have taken care of things". He then said we were scheduled to check out that afternoon and when I corrected him to say that we still had one more night he proceeded to tell me that was incorrect. We had to take our confirmation papers to the front desk to prove that we were not checking out until the next day - the manager never apologized for the error.
We do not intend on returning here and because of our experience, will not recommend it to family (which is a shame because the Barcelo in the Mayan was beyond excellent).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barceló Puerto Vallarta***** (formerly Barceló La Jolla de Mismaloya) in Puerto Vallarta, is an elegant, all-inclusive Mexican-style resort. It offers 316 completely renovated and comfortable suites with excellent service, leisure, history, beautiful scenery, exuberant flora and privacy.Relax after a hard day’s work in the hotel spa, catch some rays at one of the hotel pools or take time out to practice your favourite water sport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Jolla Mismaloya
- Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- La Jolla Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta La Jolla De Mismaloya
- Barcelo De Mismaloya
- Barcelo Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- Barcelo La Jolla Mismaloya