“Peaceful”

GreenLeadersGold level
Panama City
“Peaceful”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Visited Barcelo during the middle of March for a 4 day getaway. The area that the hotel sits on, is very picturesque and beautiful. The front desk staff is accommodating and friendly; but the gem of this hotel are the underpaid staffers that make sure you have a great time. From the friendly bartenders, to the cleaning ladies, to maintenance, to the waiters and waitresses.....these people go out of their way to make sure that you enjoy yourself. The food was great and had a variety of options for the laid back to the pickiest eater. The restaurant sits on the beach, allowing you fresh air and a beautiful view. The rooms are amazing; Spacious with great amenities and every one has a balcony (Hotel is shaped like a horseshoe so every room has a pool or ocean view, with the mountains behind or to the side). Would definitely go again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Isi O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a great time at Barcelo over Christmas break. After my husband and son went fishing and came back with a nice mahi-mahi, the manager, Mauricio Hernandez, had the restaurant chef cook it for us. They served it with rice and vegetables, and it was absolutely delicious. Antonio, the activities guy, was super friendly and always trying to engage everyone. Really all the staff was friendly. The buffet was so-so, but the Spanish restaurant was wonderful. Make your reservations as soon as you get there; they fill up quickly. We took a cab to the zoo and had a great time playing with the baby tigers - where else can you do that? Another time we went to a local water park and swam with dolphins. The area is just beautiful, and we'll probably be back.

Room Tip: On some nights there was loud music playing until late. Choose a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just came back from spring break family vacation at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta. The hotel is magnificent and really surpassed my expectations.

The staff, cleaning, kitchen are wonderful people. I corresponded with Adelina and Esteban regarding dinner reservations and airport transportation and they were very good to work with.

I did read all the previous comments regarding the virus that spread through the resort and was alarmed by it. I contacted the hotel via email and spoke with Claudia who I believe is a supervisor/manager, she assured me they had taken care of the problem. Regardless, I went loaded with medicine, just in case...thankfully we were all fine. When we arrived at the airport, our van was waiting for us and took us to the hotel promptly. Once inside, Adelina met us and gave us drinks, we were checking in with Claudia, who I found was a bit distant. She didn't come across as very warm to me. I made our booking directly through the Barcelo website over the phone and was sent and email confirmation with pages of fine print. The quote was in US dollars and no where on the page was there an equivalent in Pesos. Sure enough once at the hotel, they charged our credit card in pesos. When we took issue with it with Claudio, she shrugged it off and said it was hotel policy to charge in pesos. We asked if she could refund the card and we would pay her cash instead and she said no. We asked what exchange rate she was using and she acted like she didn't understand the question. We approached another man the next day as we saw that sure enough the credit card was charged $80 more, he said he would look into it....sure enough come 4 days later when we check out...he was still "looking" into it. We again explained our issue with him and he said we should have known it would be charged in pesos because we are in Mexico and also that on the confirmation it would be stated what the charge was in pesos. I pulled out the confirmation that we received with the Barcelo letterhead and he proceeded to act like we didn't book with the hotel. Really, he was caught in the crap he was spewing on about, with quoting in US dollars as standard practice then charging in pesos. At no time did anyone offer an apology for the charge so the front line staff did really put me off. No where in the fine print did it say we would be charged in pesos and I had two confirmations from them, the original booking and a re-confirmation the week we were to travel...no documents showed the quote in pesos nor did anyone I ever spoke to directly at the hotel say this.

The other issue came with finding out what was included in the all inclusive once we got there...it wasn't until the next day that someone by chance mentioned to us that a day trip was included in our package, we asked Adelina and she confirmed. If we didn't have a random conversation about it with another worker we never would have known. We also didn't know we were allowed unlimited dinner reservations at any of the three restaurants. I had made reservations at two of them as from what I read online with out 6 day stay we were allowed 2 reservations...this is something I confirmed with Adelina and again once we got into our hotel on the second day, a letter was left in our suite about how we had unlimited reservations..again I took this to the front desk and they confirmed it was true. But as a result of us not knowing we didn't get good reservation times...9:30pm.

I suggest if you are staying at the Barcelo, you find out exactly what is included. I feel there were things they weren't forthright with such as the hotel charge and what is included. It should be very obvious but it wasn't and I believe I did thorough research.

Aside from this...as I mentioned before the hotel is beautiful. The food is repetitive especially since we had some dietary restrictions but I felt the kitchen staff did as much as they could to help us out with that. They really were very kind as was our housekeeper. The rooms were spacious and clean and the hotel grounds were kept nicely.

The beach was small and does drop off quite quickly but the water is very warm.

The spa is wonderful and a must do.

The tour we had was a city tour and the guide was very jovial and full of fun tidbits about the city. Definitely worth the day trip.

The hotel was also very notably empty, it was not running at full capacity whatsoever. I think that has to do with the illness that had spread throughout but as I mentioned before none of us in our party of 6 got sick.

The resort is located in a more secluded area and I liked that we didn't have another massive hotel next to us. But it was about a 15-20 minute ride into town. We took public transit one day and it was easy to figure out.

As for if I would say again at this hotel...I find it hard to want to stay at a place when management isn't as friendly as I believe they should be. I don't think im a hard person to please, I don't have crazy expectations but I do expect to be treated fairly. I feel that since they weren't forthright with what was included we could have missed out on what was rightfully owed to us. I also have a massive issue with them charging us in pesos and then claiming they couldn't refund the credit card charge. I think it was their way to make an extra buck. I would most probably look at another resort before returning.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Nadia J
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Barcelo Feb 27-March 6... We were very nervous after checking the negatives reviews.... didn't have any issues.... Service was by far top notch..... Everything was spotless.... View from room 1820 was the best ever. Awesome rooms, great food, amazing service... We would go back in a heartbeat... Thanks Angel

Room Tip: Room 1820 or 1620 great view.... had no issue sleeping....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Valhalla, New York
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The grounds and the surronding area is perfect! They keep the place in very good shape. The rooms are very clean and the beds were fine. The food there is where it falls short!! Very very short.
My advise, based on personnel experiance, is to rent a car while you are there and go out for lunch and dinner.
Just too many very good restaurants not to enjoy all around!! Eating at Barcelo every day deprives you from enjoying all the fine resraurants. Don't let the outside of these places fool you !! The best meals we had there in locations that you would never think of!! Don't judge the book by it's cover ! You will miss many chances that others enjoy!
The food at Barcelo is reheated and reused until it is either consumed or scraped off the plates.I was there last month and way too many people got very very sick eating there.

Room Tip: Tower 2 - go for the higher numbered rooms. Like 520, 619. The higher the last 2 numbers the closer...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mike12121965
Claremont, California, United States
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My friends and I had a lot of fun at the Barcelo, probably more than we did in Cancun the year before. Lots of stuff to do. Great rooms, food, pools, bars, ocean, beach (though the beach is pretty small). They have a promoter/activities guy named Antonio, and if you're looking to party and laugh, he's where to start. He leads some pretty silly stuff during the afternoons, then buses people out to clubs every night for $40 per person. This is a great price - it gets you out to the club, instant access, a table and waiters that constantly pour drinks there. Treated like kings. And Antonio makes sure it happens. This man is why the Barcelo was such a great place to go.

Room Tip: Didn't see a difference between rooms. You'll be fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MattoTX
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed 5 days at Barcelo and cannot complain. Food and drinks were delicious; service awesome. Hotel is located in gorgeous valley where "The Night of the Iguana" and "Predator" movies were shot.

While there you have to visit:
Zoo and play with tiger or lion cubs (walking distance from hotel);
Waterfalls - location of Predator movie film-set (we took taxi and paid 300 pesos for a round trip, and the driver waited for us);
Go snorkling - locals will bother you about it all the time - we paid $50 for two hours so please haggle;
Go kayaking;
Go to the city - Romantica Zone - numerous bars and restaurants on the beach and adjacent streets.

At the airport get a yellow cab and pay only 250 pesos so 20USD to Barcelo - they stop in front of the departure terminal (on your right hand when you leave the arrival terminal). Hotel-shuttles and white taxis are a waste.

Room Tip: If you can afford, please upgrade to premium club and get room on the top floor - 9th. We stayed at...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Eman P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#35 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#22 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#26 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#31 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
#5 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!