“Great Holiday! One of our favorites!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #34 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Great Holiday! One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was our first all inclusive and will not be our last! We were more than pleasantly surprised. We upgraded to the grand master suite and it was beautiful with panoramic ocean views and bigger than our flat in SanFrancisco! The food in the buffet was good, you have so many choices. We went for massages twice, we had both Rosario and Veronica and I can honestly say it was one of the best massages I have had! We have 2 children ages 5 and 6 who had a fantastic time and want to go back immediately! They had so much fun with Sol and Luz! They were wonderful with our children that by the end of the week they wanted to be with them more than us! They had so many activities for the children it felt like my husband and I had so much free time. We really enjoyed our stay and we both said we will return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: It's worth the upgrade for ocean views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Carrie D
PachecoR, General Manager at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest:

We thank you for the opportunity that you provided us to show the true service of Barceló Hotels with which we are building our reputation. Your comments are very important to us because they are measured the service we provide.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo Pacheco
Director
Barceló Puerto Vallarta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
Nelson, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 nights at Barcelo in September 2012 as part of our honeymoon. We had such an amazing time! I feel like I could go on for ages about how great this hotel was, but I'll just cover the highlights. The room: We had a junior suite with a king bed, sitting room and balcony. It was impeccably clean and really beautiful. The food: Excellent. The buffets are so well-stocked with a huge variety of delicious food! Every day was different enough that we never grew tired of one thing. The a-la-carte restaurants were also fantastic; we ate at the steakhouse and italian restaurant. The pools: Clean, refreshing, beautifully manicured and excellent poolside bar service. The staff: All very friendly, polite and helpful. Upon check-in, we were told that we had been upgraded and that we could have breakfast in bed on a morning of our choice (which turned out to be not entirely worth it, as the buffet was better. But still fun!) and they had left a bottle of champagne and some chocolates in our room! Location: Perfect for us. It's out of town and away from all the PV business and traffic, but a quick bus ride away from all the shops and touristy stuff. The ocean was good for swimming, even if it was wavy most of the time. I honestly don't have a single negative thing to say about this place. We would certainly recommend this hotel to any of our friends visiting PV and will certainly return one day!! Thank you Barcelo for making our honeymoon unforgettable!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stephc101
Dear Guest:

I am glad that your stay in Barceló Puerto Vallarta was as pleasant as you expected and I appreciate the opportunity to show our true service. We look forward to see you soon in your home away from home.

Best regards,

Rodolfo Pacheco
Barceló Puerto Vallarta
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nice resort and friendly staff, food is good, building is aging and entertainment is weak at best. Private taxi ride from the airport to the hotel and back was very nice. The hotel is a ways out of town which makes things more difficult if you are the adventerous type but great if you are just looking to stay and relax on the resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went in October for our wedding with 30 of our family and friends. One of the best parts was the fact that it was October and the resort was fairly quiet. If you're young and want a party 24/7 with a discotheque, this might not be the best place for you.

Rooms are clean - my husband and I were upgraded to the biggest, best room they had and it was AMAZING. If you can afford it, do it! Maids cleaned very well, stocked the fridge, no bugs (except the odd cute gecko climbing the wall one night).

Staff is VERY nice and accomodating - drinks and appetizers poolside all day long. Never complained, and tipped them very well.

Kids Area - isn't the biggest or best you'll find, but it's good for young ones. They even have a little waterslide going into the kiddie pool.

Pools - One volleyball pool, 2 biggers pools that wrap around (lazy river like). NEVER had to fight for a chair - maybe because it wasn't busy in October, but there were more than enough chairs everywhere, anytime of day.

Beach - Short distance from hotel barricade to the beach, so most of the time we sat at the pool - more sun! The beach view is awesome though, and the one side has many massage parlors for cheap that are AMAZING. Everyone in our group went for one almost everyday!

Food - Never had to complain about the food. (Except the one night I accidentally took some tongue - on Mexican night - but that was my own fault). The best food we had was probably at our wedding reception, but all the restaurants were great. The buffet was good too.

Attractions - Take the boat to Las Caletas. Beautiful Beach, and lots to do! Some of our party went quadding in the jungle and said it was great. Sunset Sailing tour was nice (if you don't get sea sick). Downtown PV is one of my favourite places - so my only complaint is that it was a little far from the resort and the road was so windy, sometimes we'd get a little car sick on the way there.

I've been to many places, and I'd definitely keep going back to PV. And Barcelo is a great hotel chain almost anywhere you go.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean basically - they're all pointed in at each other in both towers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Baghdad, Iraq
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 days during the winter of 2012. The weather was not ideal, but there was still some nice days. The we paid for the higher level accomadations which included unlimited premium liquor, club room access and checkin. I enjoyed the hotel the buffet was somewhat better than the sit down resturants. The rooms were clean and in good condition. The bathroom was pretty large with a nice shower. They hold games and contests by the pool and I won the swimming relay. I would stay there again for sure!

The zoo down the street was fun, you can hold and pet tigers and monkeys.

Room Tip: Pay for the club level rooms, they include higher floors much more quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John B
Grande Prairie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family of 4 (Kids ages 11 and 7) loved our Christmas Vacation! Dec 21st to Jan 5th. We stayed in a Club Premium Grand Master Suite in Tower 1 5th floor...Beautiful room! Huge deck! Always kept clean, fresh towels, mini fridge always stocked.
Pool was awesome(the one with the swim up bar was warmer) They did clean the pool decks in high traffic areas every few days but some parts where we sat had pooled water sitting and it was getting stinky. Pool activities were fun for the kids. TONY was just great with the kids. Got them playing soccer, beach volley ball, ping pong and so on and so on. My daughter actually cried saying goodbye to him.
We ate everywhere and I liked the Steak house the best. Buffet breakfast was good. You can order your eggs how you like them, fresh fruit and everything you needed to go with. We ate at the snack bar for lunch most days. Hand made Tacos were good....my fav was avacado stuffed with tuna salad...yummy. Spanish was ok but if you have picky type kids its hard to find something for them. Italian was good as well. My husband found portions were small and sometimes thought he should have ordered 2 meals.
Bars were ok. Sometimes you had to go to two bars to find the booze you wanted because the other was out. The place really needs something better in the evening. The bar had live music which was so loud you couldn't have a conversation. I think having a good mix of music for everyones taste would have made the evenings a little more fun. Kids liked the circus show and the comedy show the best.
Premium Club was helpful and always pleasant. The booze they had was good when it was there. Saw some guy taking the entire full bottle of Grey Goose a few times. Waited until the girl was busy with someone then snuck it out.
We did our dinner reservations with Adelina at the desk across from front desk. She was the most helpful person there....we were there for Christmas and we wanted a small tree. She got us two delivered to the resort along with stockings our friends forgot to bring. Then I realized I forgot wrapping paper and she personally went out and got me some that evening while she was out. Thanks Adelina!
As for everyone getting sick....my husband was sick the before we got there and our friends boy got the flu Christmas day. I believe there was a flu going around just like there was a flu going around here at home over Christmas vacation. I also think if you are sick and puking do not come down and handle all utensils at buffet, do not come down and puke in bushes around the pool. I believe it was the flu the hotel staff did a great job of cleaning once it was reported that so many were sick....but they could not follow the sick people to sanitize everything they touched. Yes it sucks to get sick on a vacation but really to blame this on the resort is stupid....who do you blame when you get sick at home?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Mon605
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have gone to this resort many of times, including when it was called La Jolla De Mismaloya. As always the employees there are friendly and very helpful. I usually do not do reviews but i am sick of reading how people are being over judgemental with there reviews. First off as I'm sure a lot of you know that this hotel is one of the best bargains compared to other hotels and has better reviews. If you are a snobby person who has to have the most finest things in life and are expecting hotel staff to follow you around and bow to your every need will then spend the extra dough and go somewhere else. Remember you get what you pay for. For people who have not been here let me tell you about the place. The rooms are very clean and have been remodeled under the new ownership. The grounds are beautiful and the staff does a great job of keeping the place looking good. The buffet has good food. Remember the key word there "buffet" it is good not fabulous. There fine dining is also very good but portions are tiny. The swimming pool is gorgeous and yes there are children in it. This is not an adults only facility. Children play and make noise. Everyone was a kid at one time so get over it. The nightly shows they have are really not that great at all. Whats great about this place is you get more than what you really pay for. Your in a secluded part of PV in an all inclusive resort. Drinks are really good. If you want spectacular service don't be afraid to break out a dollar bill. If you are an average middle class person you will love this place. If you are a rich person well you should spend your $ and stop being cheap and writing bad reviews.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family