“Great Family or Group Resort - Not as much for young partiers”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #34 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Family or Group Resort - Not as much for young partiers”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went in October for our wedding with 30 of our family and friends. One of the best parts was the fact that it was October and the resort was fairly quiet. If you're young and want a party 24/7 with a discotheque, this might not be the best place for you.

Rooms are clean - my husband and I were upgraded to the biggest, best room they had and it was AMAZING. If you can afford it, do it! Maids cleaned very well, stocked the fridge, no bugs (except the odd cute gecko climbing the wall one night).

Staff is VERY nice and accomodating - drinks and appetizers poolside all day long. Never complained, and tipped them very well.

Kids Area - isn't the biggest or best you'll find, but it's good for young ones. They even have a little waterslide going into the kiddie pool.

Pools - One volleyball pool, 2 biggers pools that wrap around (lazy river like). NEVER had to fight for a chair - maybe because it wasn't busy in October, but there were more than enough chairs everywhere, anytime of day.

Beach - Short distance from hotel barricade to the beach, so most of the time we sat at the pool - more sun! The beach view is awesome though, and the one side has many massage parlors for cheap that are AMAZING. Everyone in our group went for one almost everyday!

Food - Never had to complain about the food. (Except the one night I accidentally took some tongue - on Mexican night - but that was my own fault). The best food we had was probably at our wedding reception, but all the restaurants were great. The buffet was good too.

Attractions - Take the boat to Las Caletas. Beautiful Beach, and lots to do! Some of our party went quadding in the jungle and said it was great. Sunset Sailing tour was nice (if you don't get sea sick). Downtown PV is one of my favourite places - so my only complaint is that it was a little far from the resort and the road was so windy, sometimes we'd get a little car sick on the way there.

I've been to many places, and I'd definitely keep going back to PV. And Barcelo is a great hotel chain almost anywhere you go.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean basically - they're all pointed in at each other in both towers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
Baghdad, Iraq
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 days during the winter of 2012. The weather was not ideal, but there was still some nice days. The we paid for the higher level accomadations which included unlimited premium liquor, club room access and checkin. I enjoyed the hotel the buffet was somewhat better than the sit down resturants. The rooms were clean and in good condition. The bathroom was pretty large with a nice shower. They hold games and contests by the pool and I won the swimming relay. I would stay there again for sure!

The zoo down the street was fun, you can hold and pet tigers and monkeys.

Room Tip: Pay for the club level rooms, they include higher floors much more quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John B
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family of 4 (Kids ages 11 and 7) loved our Christmas Vacation! Dec 21st to Jan 5th. We stayed in a Club Premium Grand Master Suite in Tower 1 5th floor...Beautiful room! Huge deck! Always kept clean, fresh towels, mini fridge always stocked.
Pool was awesome(the one with the swim up bar was warmer) They did clean the pool decks in high traffic areas every few days but some parts where we sat had pooled water sitting and it was getting stinky. Pool activities were fun for the kids. TONY was just great with the kids. Got them playing soccer, beach volley ball, ping pong and so on and so on. My daughter actually cried saying goodbye to him.
We ate everywhere and I liked the Steak house the best. Buffet breakfast was good. You can order your eggs how you like them, fresh fruit and everything you needed to go with. We ate at the snack bar for lunch most days. Hand made Tacos were good....my fav was avacado stuffed with tuna salad...yummy. Spanish was ok but if you have picky type kids its hard to find something for them. Italian was good as well. My husband found portions were small and sometimes thought he should have ordered 2 meals.
Bars were ok. Sometimes you had to go to two bars to find the booze you wanted because the other was out. The place really needs something better in the evening. The bar had live music which was so loud you couldn't have a conversation. I think having a good mix of music for everyones taste would have made the evenings a little more fun. Kids liked the circus show and the comedy show the best.
Premium Club was helpful and always pleasant. The booze they had was good when it was there. Saw some guy taking the entire full bottle of Grey Goose a few times. Waited until the girl was busy with someone then snuck it out.
We did our dinner reservations with Adelina at the desk across from front desk. She was the most helpful person there....we were there for Christmas and we wanted a small tree. She got us two delivered to the resort along with stockings our friends forgot to bring. Then I realized I forgot wrapping paper and she personally went out and got me some that evening while she was out. Thanks Adelina!
As for everyone getting sick....my husband was sick the before we got there and our friends boy got the flu Christmas day. I believe there was a flu going around just like there was a flu going around here at home over Christmas vacation. I also think if you are sick and puking do not come down and handle all utensils at buffet, do not come down and puke in bushes around the pool. I believe it was the flu the hotel staff did a great job of cleaning once it was reported that so many were sick....but they could not follow the sick people to sanitize everything they touched. Yes it sucks to get sick on a vacation but really to blame this on the resort is stupid....who do you blame when you get sick at home?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Mon605
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have gone to this resort many of times, including when it was called La Jolla De Mismaloya. As always the employees there are friendly and very helpful. I usually do not do reviews but i am sick of reading how people are being over judgemental with there reviews. First off as I'm sure a lot of you know that this hotel is one of the best bargains compared to other hotels and has better reviews. If you are a snobby person who has to have the most finest things in life and are expecting hotel staff to follow you around and bow to your every need will then spend the extra dough and go somewhere else. Remember you get what you pay for. For people who have not been here let me tell you about the place. The rooms are very clean and have been remodeled under the new ownership. The grounds are beautiful and the staff does a great job of keeping the place looking good. The buffet has good food. Remember the key word there "buffet" it is good not fabulous. There fine dining is also very good but portions are tiny. The swimming pool is gorgeous and yes there are children in it. This is not an adults only facility. Children play and make noise. Everyone was a kid at one time so get over it. The nightly shows they have are really not that great at all. Whats great about this place is you get more than what you really pay for. Your in a secluded part of PV in an all inclusive resort. Drinks are really good. If you want spectacular service don't be afraid to break out a dollar bill. If you are an average middle class person you will love this place. If you are a rich person well you should spend your $ and stop being cheap and writing bad reviews.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank Michael F
winnipeg
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Friends and I did our yearly week Mexico vacation at the Barcelo PV this year. We chose the Barcelo PV because we wanted to go to PV (I had never been) and because of our excellent experience at the Barcelo Karmina Palace in Manzanillo 2 years ago.
Overall, our experience was good.
We arrived to the hotel at 1:00PM on the 29th and our 2 rooms were not ready. (1 room for 3 people and 1 room for me). We had lunch, walked around the property and went back to the reception at 3:00 - just when a bus load of people arrived :(. We got our two rooms at 3:30 - the hotel had to upgrade us to the Club Premium as they could not get two rooms together (and 1 with 2 beds) in the regular rooms. Initially they wanted us to play the additional $30 per night for the upgrade - which we politely said "No". After a few minutes they were able to give us two rooms in tower 1 on the 8th floor with one room separating us. We were very happy with the rooms, the view, and the cleanliness of both rooms. My friends' room safe's battery died and they were there in a flash to fix it. The bar on the main floor did not keep us awake at all. The balcony was in the shade - my friends preferred that, while I would have preferred a balcony in the sun.

We did the buffet for breakfast every day. Nothing outstanding, but good enough to fill us up. There were fresh bananas only 1 day for breakfast. That would be my biggest complaint about the breakfast buffet - no fresh bananas.
Lunches were usually at the Snack Restaurant and we did the buffet 1 time for lunch. I totally recomment the Snack Restaurant for lunch (and snack). If you order ice cream the server will bring you hard ice cream. Otherwise they have self serve soft ice cream. The lunch buffet was again good enough to fill up - not outstanding.

We did the buffet every night exept for 2. Jan 1 we went off property to the Happy Lobster. Jan 2 we did the spanish restaurant a la carte. The Steak and seafood a la carte was booked the whole time we were there - unless we wanted a 9PM reservation (not doable with a 10 year old). The Spanish restaurant was good - though one of my friends thought there could have been a larger portion of the beef medallion (she received 3 pieces). I ordered lamb chops and was okay with 3 chops.

The buffet was theme oriented all week for the evening buffet. Overall it was okay. We ate well and forgot about portion control. Prime Rib was Sunday - very good. New Years Eve buffet was very good too. - It was moved from outdoors because of the rain to the buffet restaurant. We were fine with this.

Our final night (Friday Jan 4/13) was Mexican night at the buffet. I will point out here that I drank water each evening in the restaurants and ate pretty well everything. Unfortunately on Saturday (our morning we left) the 10 year old woke up feeling ill. We were not sure if it was food poisoning or flu. He threw up the whole way home on the plane. His mother - who does have a very delicate stomach at the best of times in Mexico was sick after we arrived back home in winnipeg and threw up. The other adult in the group (the father) and I did not get sick. This morning she called and they are both better - meaning it was something they had at the Mexican Buffet (she says this). BUT I WILL POINT OUT THAT THIS HAS NOT DETERRED HER VIEW OF THE BARCELO AND WANTS TO RETURN. She feels that eating in Mexico is always dicey at the best of times for her and she was surprised she didn't get sick at all until the very end. She has often got sick during her week in Mexico.

We did not hear of anyone else getting sick. We generally ate the same food at the buffet - so my (and her) thought is there was a piece of something that both she and her son ate that was the culprit.

Bring bug spray for the insects on the beach. I was bit the 2nd day there. After 2 days of rain, I thought they would be worse, but they weren't. The beach was fine - my 3 friends were in the ocean and on the beach often. The 2 days of rain smoothed some of the edges on the sand and it seemed not as sharp.

We took the bus to the romantic zone for shopping - it cost $7 pesos. I strongly recommend taking the bus - we had no issues with it. We cabbed from the hotel to Happy Lobster ($160 there, $150 back) I don't mind the long winding road to the resort- it's Mexico and it's in the Jungle. The Jungle went right up to the roadway. Don't let the road deter you from going there as it is a combination of new concrete in some sections and pavement. Locals are used to driving it.

Overall we liked the Barcelo PV. I travelled as a single supplement and feel I probably paid too much ($2800 from Winnipeg) - which is why I rate value as Average. My friends said they would go back to this resort- even with the mishap of the Mexican Buffet evening. I would go back as well if I didn't have to pay $2800. I liked our room. I liked the service. I liked the food - but thought the Karmina Palace was a couple of notchs higher in quality. We book our New Year's holiday in the summer and will keep it on our list of places to go and keep watching for the prices and hopefully good deals.

Room Tip: * If you want a balcony in the sun ask for tower 2. * Quickest access to beach is tower 2, but not...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank lu192
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We travel to Mexico at least twice a year with two young children (currently ages 5 & 4). We typically always stay at a 5 star resort, but after hearing about the different Barcelo resorts from a lot of different people, we decided on the Barcelo Puerto Vallarta. I read all the reviews before coming, and was terrified and just kept my fingers crossed that everything would work out. When we arrived at the airport, since I hadn't booked through a travel agent (and saved $2000 booking though the Mi Barcelo site, with separate flights!!), we had to take a taxi to the hotel. Buy your taxi ticket at the airport in advance, and it will cost you $310 pesos for a car. Much cheaper than if you have to pay per person for hotel transfer. (Coming back only cost us $250 pesos). After a long and treacherous ride to the hotel in the taxi (my husband had to tell the driver to slow down, we thought we were going to die!), we finally arrived at the Barcelo, and at first glance, I thought that the hotel looked nice. Check in went great. The guy who checked us in was friendly, we received internet access codes since we booked on Barcelo.com, and we proceeded to our room. This is sort of where things started to go downhill. Our family suite room on the 6th floor of Tower Two was a great size (#2612). There was a main bedroom with a king size bed, and another bedroom with two twin beds, and 2 bathrooms. However the black mold all around the shower/bathroom of bathroom 1 was disgusting. It was a nice tiled shower with a rainshower head, but the entire bathroom looked like it hadn't even been cleaned. I was afraid to touch anything. The second bathroom wasn't a shower, it was a white bathtub with a regular handheld showerhead, and it had hair in the bathtub, and also looked like it hadn't been cleaned. I was completely grossed out, however since it was late, I decided to just deal with it for a night, and not unpack, knowing that we would have to move. In addition, my husband had become ill on the plane with the stomach flu, so there was no way that we could be comfortable in that room. In comparison to a five star resort, the Barcelo is very unclean/unsanitary - from the restaurants to the bathrooms, to the elevator. Anyways, our first night, even with the patio door closed, there was music all night that kept us awake. The next morning, I went to the front desk and told them I needed to move to a higher floor to avoid the noise at night since hubby was sick. I upgraded for $30 USD per adult (so $60 USD) a night to a Club Premium room on the 9th floor. It was the best move, since the room was much much cleaner, nicer, and much more liveable for the remainder of the week. Things started looking up. The next day, I ran into a lot of people that were sick with stomach issues. From knowing that there is was on outbreak of stomach flu from back home in Vancouver, I don't believe that people are getting sick from the food/drinks at the hotel. I think they are all coming with the stomach flu virus, and that is what is going around. That being said, I wouldn't drink anything from the swim-up bar, since I watched them just rinse out glasses and re-serve drinks to other people.

The two girls in the Kids Club, Lucy and Marisol are AMAZING! They are just young girls, but were wonderful with my kids who loved to go there everyday to play. Lucy and Marisol are so much fun, and both my girls had a fantastic time thanks to them, and all the different crafts/activities, and pool games. They gave me Spanish lessons, and I helped them with their English. The only thing is on the website, and in the Barcelo guides in the hotel they say the kids club is for ages 4-12. It is actually only for ages 5-12. Thank you Lucy and Marisol!
The pool areas are nice, and the grounds are beautiful. The pools are quite deep though (over 5') , and I couldn't let our kids go in the pool without floaties, etc. The service around the pool/beach areas is good if you are tipping. From my observations, they need more staff for such a large area to keep everyone happy. So unless you're tipping, you are not going to get any good service. Any cocktails that you order (mojitos/margaritas etc.) all come from a slushie machine and are very sweet. They don't mix any cocktails properly and you have to leave the resort to get a good drink. I drank mimosas the whole time, which were fine. The food is edible, however the buffet lacks variety and quality (compared to other resorts). The restaurants (you get unlimited reservations with barcelo.com booking or club premium), were completely dead the whole time we were there. I think most people ate off the resort for dinners. We ate at the Spanish restaurant, the Steak/Seafood house and the Italian. I thought they were better than the buffet food, but nothing spectacular to rave about. Our experience with Mexico, we knew to come prepared with bug spray, so we didn't get eaten alive. Bring insect repellant!!!! We tipped the maids well, and our room was kept immaculate the entire time we were there. The nightly shows were weak in comparison to other resorts, though they were still entertaining. Also, the daytime entertainment is lacking. The Club Premium lounge was a nice peaceful escape, complete with premium liquor/wine and a self-serve bar. It was disappointing that they had a big flat screen tv with DVD player and a ton of kids movies, however they could not get the system to work, so no movies. The spa was another area that needs improvement. My husband and I both received massages/facials. The massage was okay, however the facial was no where near the quality of facials that I have received at other resorts. Both for under $200 USD for all 4 treatments I can't complain. Take a 20 min ride to Los Animas on a boat, and enjoy some good Mexican food, good drinks, and nice beaches. That trip will cost you about $90 USD, because the driver essentially waits there with you the entire time you are there. Also, definitely pop the $40 USD and take a boat ride to go snorkeling/feed the fish. It is crazy how big the fish are, and you throw bread in and they all come up the surface. Kids loved it!!

Overall, I think that if you are looking for a budget 3 star resort, then this is your place (I'm not sure what star this resort actually is, but that is what it was for me.) You get what you pay for, so I can't complain too much and we still had a good time despite the "icky" feeling and having to be on-guard as to what we were consuming. However for us, this isn't a hotel that we would return to.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club Premium for cleaner rooms and to escape the nightly noise a bit. If you are travelli...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank CharlotteDouglas5
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in Mismaolya but not only at Barcelo. it is a beautiful setting and I stayed the In 1989 when it was half completed. I stayed again in 2000 before Barcelo owned it. The beach is a big shortcoming because most of it eroded in the last 10 years and replenishment has not been successful. The pools are beautiful. Dont get too fussy about service it's Mexico not St. Bart's or Crystal Cruise. It's about chips salsa, beer and Tequila. Affordability, informality and fun.

The bus to town stops in front and is 70 pesos. $.50. Unless you have kids never stay in an all inclusive. Puerto Vallarta has hundreds of the best and most varied restaurants in the world. Wald around Old Town and the waterfront Malecon. It is 100% safer than Rome or Barcelona.

All inclusive food is at best cruise ship quality and worst school cafeteria. If you get sick, sorry. I was in Mismaolya Christmas to New Years and except for acid from so much spice my 71 year year stomach was fine. When I got home to NY half the people I spoke to were sick.

I took walks on the road 3 miles to Boca beach and my 64 year old wife jogged on the road towards Town.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple