“Great vacation- Amazing if not for the beach quality”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #32 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Great vacation- Amazing if not for the beach quality”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We just returned from our 5 day vacation at Barcelo in Puerto Vallarta. Overall the hotel was pretty amazing. The rooms were very clean and the grounds were beautiful.

Food and Drinks: There are 3 main restaurants, a snack bar, buffet, and the catina bar. We ate at the Seafood and Steak, and Italian restaurants during our stay. At night, the open snack bar/grill is turned into the seafood and steak restaurants. The downside to this is the only beach access is through this area, so you may have people walking in and out by your table. Food selection is decent. I ordered a Rib Eye and it was AMAZING. My husband ordered the Surf and turf and received a tiny slab of meat and two pieces of shrimp. That was disappointing. I found the food selection at the Italian restaurant a little slim. I suggest before you make your dinner reservations, check out the menus they leave outside the places to see what best fits yours. As far as drinks go, I was pleasantly surprised. They don't have a set drink menu so you can order whatever you want. They also give you a significant amount of alcohol, some times it was almost too much for me. Every night the pool towel checkout area is set up into a tequila shot tasting area as well.

Beach and Pools: The beach was a HUGE disappointment for me. After looking at pictures and reading other reviews, I had a good idea of how small the beach was and how low quality the sand is. However, it turned out to be way worse that I expected. The sand was more like gravel for starters. It was painful to walk on barefoot. The beach size itself is not spectacular. There are maybe a dozen umbrellas and 40+ chairs. There are super annoying vendors constantly trying to get you to buy stuff. You can easily say no thank you, but a minute later a different person will come up to you. If you walk down the beach there is a public beach where a lot of locals go. There are cheap massages over there and a restaurant, but again, once you make your way over you are almost attacked by people asking you if you want to go jet-skiing or out on a boat, etc. The pools however were really nice. There are at least 3. We only went to the one with the swim up bar. They were all very nice though. Be careful walking over the bridge that goes over one however. It is very steep but there is a railing to hold onto.

Shopping: The resort has several shops in it, varying from knick-knacks, clothes and jewelry, and just basic needs (sunscreen, etc.) The stores can't accept US dollars. If you don't have pesos they will charge your room and the exchange rate will be higher. Every night there will be some vendors out in the main walkway. Bargain with them! We got an amazing sunset painting that was done by fingerprint for $200 pesos. If you are looking for a good shopping trip I highly suggest taking a cab to the flea market in town. The cab ride was about 150 pesos one way. There are a TON of shops and you can find some amazing deals! I am sad that I ran out of money and couldn't spend more time in town.

Excursions/ Other stuff to do: We booked the excursion out to Yelapa through the hotel. I was disappointed when we booked it because the guy said it was going to be $55 US dollars each charged to our hotel. However, they switched it to pesos then the hotel exchanged it back to dollars at a higher rate, making it about $67 each instead of $55. I didn't find this out until we checked out. Be careful about this and make sure you ask exactly how they are converting the money. The excursion itself was okay. We took a ride out to a catamaran where they had an open bar and lunch for us. We stopped at a spot and went snorkeling for a good hour then went over to the fishing village of Yelapa. We toured the small village (opportunity to buy stuff) and hiked up to the waterfall. The waterfall was beautiful but there were so many people in our group it was almost impossible to get under the water because there were greedy people who thought they owned the place. After you were finished there, you walked down to the beach. We got lost a couple times because the tour guides just left you to roam. After we got to the beach we went parasailing (about $1500 pesos for 4 of us- you could probably talk them down more). This was interesting because they strapped you in the harness on the beach and you took off from there and landed back on the beach. It was an adrenaline rush!

If you have time you MUST go to the zoo! This was the highlight of our trip. The zoo is less than a mile away from the hotel. We walked there. It was very easy to get too, just follow the signs. We paid $100 pesos each for admission and then we upgraded our package for $400 pesos, so we each got a bag of food to feed animals and had time to play with the baby tigers and monkeys at the end. If you don't want to play with the tigers and monkeys, a bag of food is only 50 pesos. I highly suggest paying in pesos for this. You'll end up paying more in US dollars if not. Bring bug spray. We all got bites on our legs, which we surprisingly didn't even notice bugs biting. Mine never itched but the other 3 people in my group had itchy legs the next day. You can feed almost every animal in the zoo. Watch out for some of the monkeys, they are tricky and try to grab your food or purses through the cages! Holding the baby tigers was awesome. They may chew a little on your arms, but it doesn't hurt. Their teeth aren't sharp yet. Amazing experience!

1 Thank Keisha D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (942)
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We spent the first 2 weeks of July here. The food was fantastic! Service from most of the people was excellent. Snack/lunch place could use some organizing as it took a long time to be served at lunch. Room was clean and smelled good. We had a two bedroom suite, which was perfect for travelling with a teenager. The weather was beautiful. We were worried it would be too hot in July, but it was perfect. Really cool rainstorms in evening. Thanks so much to Ernesto at the activities center for the pool. He was great! Very friendly and spent time playing games with the older kids. We had a really fun time with Marvik from the photo place. Take advantage of the free photo session as it was a lot of fun. The only downfall was when some pop travel group showed up during the last 4 days of our vacation. VERY loud all day and night. The group of about 400 people were yelling all night in the halls, on their decks, etc... The music DJ they hired by the pool was so loud my room was pounding across the complex and up 9 floors (I cant imagine if I had a room just above that). I did complain. They seemed a little concerned, but nobody ever said or did anything to compensate us for that.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better for the elevator. Building 2 is best for less noise.
Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My sister and her family invited me to join them in their trip to Vallarta. I loved it! Hotel Barcelo is family oriented, the kids can enjoy their pools, the teens can enjoy the other pool and everybody is happy. I love their buffet, the quality of the food is excellent. All the staff was very friendly and that makes much easier your staying. (remember to tip the staff! please!) My only recomendation will be to put a little bit of more attention to their drinks. The pina coladas or daiquiris were too watery but anyother than that, the experience in this hotel was great!

1 Thank Martha R
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 26, 2012

the grounds are just beautiful,staff is very,very attentive,food is above average.have stayed here many times since 1992,we really enjoy ourselves here,there is a happy hour going on all day in at least one of the bar areas

Room Tip: higher floors,towards the ocean
3 Thank johneagles05
Reston, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My experience at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta was awesome. I decided to take my parents to a beautiful beach and Puerto Vallarta was the best choice perfectly complemented with this luxory resort.

The rooms are amazing! they are really big and luxory; they have everything you need and even more. However, there's much more out of the room: delicious food with great entertainment events; even if you stay at the hotel you will definitely eat fabolous food and have fun.

People is really nice, they always smile at you and are ready to make sure you have everything you need! I'd definitely recommend this hotel to everybody, my parents and I loved it, their all-inclusive rocks!

3 Thank Eduardo F
Villa Park, California
Reviewed July 24, 2012

stayed at this resort for a wedding in june ~ first time at at all inclusive. the rooms are clean (housekeeping is wonderful) the food plenty and the staff more than accommodating. ( please remember that you should tip wait staff at an all inclusive and let them know they are doing a wonderful job if they are ) we had a great time watching the karaoke at the cantina and the bartenders really are patient - it was so hot and humid and they were always right on top of making sure everyone was attended to. while there my son had an accident and sliced both of his feet open on broken glass. ( off site of resort) edgar, the paramedic on call during the three day period my son required his care was thorough, caring and compassionate during all visits. he made sure the wounds were clean and well cared for and assured ( me - mom ) no sign of infection. we painted pottery while there ~ make sure you try to do this!. fun and a memento from a trip that you actually make yourself and can look at with pride. ( the artist who runs the paint your pottery shop touches up very nicely after you are done ) it was a very nice trip. the bride and co. picked a wonderful spot and everything was better than anticipated! would i go back - in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sophia m
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is by far our favorite hotel in the Puerto Vallarta area. Though it is a bit out of town it is an easy, and fun, 70 cent bus ride to the city. The Zoo is a walk away and the sense you are somewhere special never left us. There is even good, not great, snorkeling right off the beach.

My wife had become ill at our previous hotel, a mistake we will not make again, but once we reached the Barcelo it was all good. Yes, you can drink the water here.

Our only whine is Barcelo's "Club Premium". Really? An all inclusive but not really, unless you pay significantly more. We did not pay the extra and do not feel we were treated any differently, there were just some places where we were not welcome.

Room Tip: Ccoose the South side you get the ocean on your balcony and Mismaloya on your front porch.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#25 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#39 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
#12 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclus...
#48 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
#61 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#30 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!