We stayed at Barcelo the last week of February and had a wonderful vacation. My favorites: The pools are beautiful; the rooms are large and have different areas, all with pool and ocean view (the higher you are the better), the staff were great (make sure you tip...they work for peanuts and the better you tip, the better your service), and the location was just beautiful.
The food was alright...nothing absolutely amazing but very good none the less. My favorite was Capri. I recommend the fairest salad and the pesto pasta. We had lunch mist often at the snack bar. Tacos are yummy as well as the tuna avocado, guacamole/salsa and shrimp burrito. The cheese is gross IMO. So I disliked the pizza (I am from the northeast and a very Italian based area so i am a pizza
snob). I also got the shrimp burrito without cheese b/c they used the same kind as on the pizza. I highly recommend stepping off the reservation for a meal or few. Best restaurant I ate at was Tony's of Mismoya in the village across the street.
Activities I recommend nearby:
Hike to El Eden: this is a must if you are into hiking, nature and photography. You can also zipping there. You can hike on your own. Just walk across the street and follow signs. It is about 2.5 miles from resort. Stop along the way at smaller water falls and lagoons. There is a neat bar about 1/2 way up if you would like to stop afor a Berbers :). You can also check out Chico's paradise...it is not open but cool place to walk around. We swam in the waterfalls and had some tequila at the restaurant. There are more falls past the main one with the restaurant. Please check out my trip wow video I posted in the travel forum for PV.
Hike El Nogalito.
You can hike this and or do canopy tour as well. I recommend contacting a man Remco who owns a bed and breakfast in Nogalito village. He is an expert guide and this is a hike you will not soon forget. The waterfalls and lagoons at the top are AMAZING! Message me and I will give you his contact info. It is a short bus ride (few minutes) from the Barcelo.
Hike from Boca to las Animas Beach:
I highly recommend this and contacting Reinhard Dressler who can meet you on the beach next to the Barcelo. He offers a beach and trail hike or a beach hike and snorkel excursion. You can google him or contact me for his info. He also took us to the river canyon between Boca and El Tuito which is breathtaking. We swam down the canyon natural waterslides and down a waterfall near Chico's Paradise.
We went to Los acros, las marketed and did a sunset sail. All recommended as well! Especially marietas islands. Beaches and caves....lots of wildlife.
Again, check out my trip wow video to get an idea of the area.
I Am writing this on a smart phone but will upload pics and the video to the Barcelo Review one I am on my computer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barceló Puerto Vallarta***** (formerly Barceló La Jolla de Mismaloya) in Puerto Vallarta, is an elegant, all-inclusive Mexican-style resort. It offers 316 completely renovated and comfortable suites with excellent service, leisure, history, beautiful scenery, exuberant flora and privacy.Relax after a hard day’s work in the hotel spa, catch some rays at one of the hotel pools or take time out to practice your favourite water sport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Jolla Mismaloya
- Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- La Jolla Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta La Jolla De Mismaloya
- Barcelo De Mismaloya
- Barcelo Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- Barcelo La Jolla Mismaloya