“Disappointed with the Marriott”

CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointed with the Marriott”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

Just returned from a week's stay at the Marriott and have to disagree with the reviews I read indicating that this was a 5-star hotel. It definitely isn't. The hotel pool area and lobby are very nice but the rooms are not up to 5-star quality. We had connecting rooms with our children and neither room was very spacious. The bathrooms especially can use some updating - very small, single sink and not much counter space. Although the beds looked very comfortable with their numerous pillows and white fluffy comforters, my husband and I experienced the worst nights of sleep we have ever had. The bed was as hard as a rock! The airconditioners in the rooms are very noisy and I am not exaggerating. Every time the airconditioner came on, it sounded like thunder.

I also was not very impressed with the management. Although the highest level we spoke with was one of the supervisors at the front desk. Without going into our particular complaint about our rooms and location, I would just like to comment that the particular supervisor whom we dealt with was very frustrating. It took forever to see him and he never followed through with his promises. I also do not think he was very honest. He kept saying that the hotel was full to capacity but the pool area never was crowded nor were the restaurants so I have to believe he was not correct in making that statement. For all of our inconvenience, we were told that we would receive a basket of "goodies" in our room (fruit, etc.). We never did. He did, however, pick up the tab for our dinner the first night we were there, but I had to remind him several times that he had promised to do that.

The restaurants at the hotel were okay. Mikado was similar to a Beni-hana, Champs is your typical hamburger pub and the main dining room where they serve breakfast and their dinner buffets is average.

I am not saying that this is a bad hotel. I only want to clarify that if you are used to staying at 5-star, classy hotels with all the amenities, you will be disappointed with this Marriott.

15 Thank Hinsdale58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Justin522
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2006

We recently returned from a nice 4 day getaway to Puerto Vallarta. The CasaMagna was a beautiful hotel and was well beyond my expections (which were pretty high considering the great reviews). I had gone back in forth between the Marriott and the Westin, and after staying at the Marriott and seeing the Westin, we definitely made the right choice.

The hotel and its grounds were great. Our room had recently been refurbished with new bedding and decor. It was much nicer than some of the pictures I've seen on here.

The pool was fantastic. Unlike other beach vacations, you do NOT have to wake up early to get a seat at the pool. At any time of the day we could find available chairs, and not once could we not find 3 chairs together. The pool is the perfect size, and while the hotel was at capacity, it did not feel crowded at all.

The food and service at the pool area were impeccable. We had a delicious breakfast and lunches at the pool, along with numerous drinks. Everything was reasonably priced. I will say, the better drinks are ordered not from the pool bar, but from the waiters walking around. I thought they were stronger. We started ordering drinks from the waiters and simply taking them into the pool.

Twice we went into town to eat and both restaurants I would highly recommend. Pipi's was awesome...guacamole made at the table, great fajitas, and the biggest margaritas I have ever seen. We also went to Si Senor, a nicer restaurant in town that served more traditional Mexican. It was modern and nice, with huge windows.

Great vacation. Whenever I come back, I will stay at the Marriott.

19 Thank Justin522
Fayetteville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

Stayed here 5/29/06 thru 6/3/06 and this was an excellent choice for us. Two adults and three kids(15,6,2) and we all had a fabulous time. The grounds have excellent upkeep and the staff were the nicest Marriott staff that I have ever experienced. We were automatically upgraded to an oceanview room without even asking. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The interior of the hotel was very nice also. The pool was superb. Plenty of chairs and tables were available. The drinks were a bit pricey at the pool even the non alcoholic drinks. The beach was not to my liking because of the not so clean ocean water so I hung out at the pool mostly. Close proximity to the airport was a plus. Airplane noise was not heard at all. Prices for cabs were posted and the prices were very cheap, no matter where you were going. Bus service into town is also available to downtown pvr for 4.5 pesos or .50 u.s. Did I mention how nice and friendly tha entire staff was?The vendors did not seem to be a problem at all. Overall on a scale from 1 to 10, I would say our stay at Casamagna was a 9.8 and I would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank jazz2591
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2006

We chose to stay at the Marriott after reading all the good reviews on the website and the good price of the hotel. We were not disappointed at all with our decision. Check in was quick and painless and our "garden-view" room had a nice view of the ocean and pool.

Everyone was very nice and helpful throughout our stay. We did go to Walmart our first day there to stock up on some breakfast/lunch/snack items and that worked very well for us. We even took the bus to town most of the time and took cabs back (at least we saved money one way :) ) Can't think of one thing that could have been improved or went wrong the entire time. Weather was perfect and we enjoyed laying by the pool working on our tans. We have never had such nice, comfortable lounge chairs by a pool, it made laying there very enjoyable. Overall, we would highly recommend this place and would stay here again!

17 Thank SunLuvah
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Casa Magna Puerto Vallarta. We already miss it! We will DEFINITELY be returning to Puerto Vallarta and definitely will stay at the Casa Magna. It was the best hotel experience the both of us have ever had. This is a little long but worth reading.

1. Rooms: The beds were so soft and had feather pillows. The air conditioning is electronically controlled and it was always nice and cool in our room. The housekeeping staff was so kind and did an outstanding job. I'd definitely recommend an ocean view.

2. The Staff: Some of the kindest people I have met, always smiling and ready to help. They make you feel like you are staying at a home away from home.

3. The food: We walked to the Marina which is about a 5-minute walk for food. Breakfast is best and cheap at the restaurant that sits on the water in the Marina...something Di Roma. The chicken fajitas at "Fajita Banana" restaurant are superb and drinks at "Victor's Place" where Victor himself will supply you with mucho Tequila on the house is fun at night.

4. The pool: The infinity pool was clean and pretty and there was always plenty of seating and service to get drinks and food.

5. Activities: The Wild Adventures ATV tour was worth every penny. They take you up into the Sierra Madre mountains, through rivers and to a Tequila making factory...and yes, free samples, Ole! It was fabulous.

6. Transportation: The buses...let's just say the cab fares aren't too bad and worth every penny. We got on one bus that I think we could have out-run on foot, no offense. The cab fares are posted in the entry of the hotel so you know you never get overcharged.

Please if you are going to travel to Puerto Vallarta, stay at the Marriot. You will not be let down!

• Stayed June 2006
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

This was our 3rd trip to PVR, and the past we stayed @ the Camino Real & loved the place, but since they turned it into, The Dreams, all inclusive we decided on this place & were very pleased.

Once you land in PVR, get your luggage & don't be detoured to a counter for a taxi, we fell for that, it was 10 min. of time-share hell, yes they start there. Another mistake was to listen to trip advisor comments on walking across the highway & take a cab for $4USD to the hotel, don't do that. There are a/c, late model Ford vans willing to take you to the hotel for $15USD. We waived that idea for the walk across the highway via steps to pedestrian bridge to steps & more steps in the hot sun lugging suitcases to save $10USD, & these cabbies don't want to take you for $5, they made us wait & wait for other trip advisor readers that only want to pay $5 & doubled us up in a ------, no a/c, bottomed out nissan sentra, crammed in like a sardine.
The check-in was excellent, bypassed front desk & went straight to room. We paid the $150 extra for oceanview, glad we did. The rooms are nicely sized, clean & adequate. NIce balcony w/two chairs, nice bathroom, but you are not @ The Ritz or The Four Seansons. The rooms are starting to show there age, but for the money there isn't a place in PVR that can compete that offers what this place offers, the wonderful pool, grounds, lobby bar, gym, etc.

The pool drinks are overpriced & don't have a lick of alcohol in them. The lobby bar drinks are much better. I walked to the marina found a convience store & purchased a 12pack of Pacifico's, stocked up on bottled water & was fine for the few days we were there. The hotel reams you on everything, $45 pesos for a small H2O, $40 pesos for a USA Today. Don't fall for that, walk to the marina or take a cab to Walmart, I preferred to walk to the marina, for the excercise & to view the beautiful yachts.

The Lobby offers free coffee & tea in the morning, runs out by 10.00 a.m., though. Don't use the coffee maker in the room for the overpriced ------ coffee they offer. The little store on the main level does offer a great fruit salad & yogurt/granola that satisfied my wife & I everyday for $95 pesos. The chips & salsa/guac @ the pool is not good, chips so greasy they made me yak, & I never yak.

We like to dine at nice places, & PVR has plenty of great places. We loved the Vista Grill & Los XI Tomates. Don't be deterred by the trip up to the Vista Grill, you drive thru some pretty shady neighborhoods, & my wife did not feel comfortable getting out of the cab, but with some coaxing she did & we enjoyed a wonderful sunset & a memorable meal.

We traveled from CLE, and the trip to PVR is so much easier when it is a nonstop. Consider going elsewhere if a nonstop is not available because it makes for a very long day if it isn't. We have been to PVR in late OCT, NOV, & late May & the weather always has been wonderful. We will go back & stay @ the Marriott, we liked this place. I'm tired, would like to write more, but I'm going to bed.

Goodnight,
Dave & Cyndi

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
long island, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2006

We just stayed at the Casa Magna over an extended Memorial Day weekend and it was absolutely amazing! The Marina is a great location as it is out of the conjested parts of PV, but still only a short 10 min. cabride to town. Very convenient! The Marriot itself has beautiful grounds and is very well kept.

We also had the experience of staying at the Westin down the road and have to say we would choose the Marriot over the Westin if we went back. Althought the Westin is a beautiful location too (especially the pools), we were not as pleased because of a bad check in experience, the rooms were extremely damp and there wasn't anywhere like a deli/convenience shop to buy a quick cup of coffee or snack.

Its started with an easy, quick check-in where the woman at the desk upgraded us to a higher floor with a better view just for asking.

Room: Very clean and spacious. We were even greeted with a little note from our housekeeper welcoming us to the Casa Magna. The bed was were very comfy too! It was so beautiful as our bed faced large sliding glass doors that opened up to a gorgeous ocean view- what a beautiful sight to wake up to!

Breakfast: So delicious! Our stay included breakfast which I highly recommend. We had a choice of either ordering off the menu or having the buffet. We opted for the buffet which included: Omelet station, quesadilla station, waffle station, cereals, fruits, homefries, chilaquiles, refried beans, a chicken dish, bacon/ sausage/ pastries, bagels/toast/muffins etc. It was soooo good! We also tried bfast at 2 restaurants in the Marina that were very good too but the buffet was fun!

Pool: The infinity edge pool with swim up bar is just great! We spent most of our days here and found it to be very relaxing. Drinks cost a bit more (about $7-$10 US) at the resort but this was expected. There were several waiters floating around which was nice and service was always prompt.

The service all in all was outstanding. The people in PV are just so nice. Although I have to say that the vendors are beyond pushy and did get annoying after a while. Some just would not take no for an answer so we had to just ignore them. Other than the vendors, the people were amazing to us!

The Marriot exceeded our expectaions and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of traveling to PV!

22 Thank pren19