“CasaMagna”

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here from sept 12 till 17. I went on my birthday and I was expecting some surprise but nothing really came up from the hotel/staff. There's some convention goin on so it's a bit busy on an off-season. The arrival was quite confusing. You'll be checked-in by the bell boys. They already have the room keys available so you skip the queue from the check-in folks. The weather is inhospitable due to its humidity and yet the elevators does not even have any blower/fan at all making your first ride up to your last one miserable. It's like riding on mini-oven for a minute or two.
The room was clean and appropriately furnished. We had an ocean view and its quite nice especially during sunsets. The restaurant staff were superb. The concierge desk - Adrian was very kind and helpful enough to suggest or organize our activities. I just wish there'll be more concierge staff and other desks to help out the guests.
Room service are a few minutes late, although they're very courteous. I just wish the cleaning staff would send us some daily breakfast-room-service cards so that we could fill it out whenever we decide to order in. Breakfast Buffett is a better option anyways so you could skip the first part.
During these very hot days, people flock over the massive pool. It's quite nice but the guests are just sometimes nasty, with all the litter all over the place. There should be more staff to keep the poolside clean. CasaMagna is on the hotel and marina part of the town. It will take you for about 10-20 minutes downtown. If you're looking for R & R, it's sufficient enough to keep you satisfied but if you want to get immersed on Mexican culture, stay on the downtown area. Puerto Vallarta is not a party town, it's very quaint and lovely.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lemmingsgamer
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Manager at Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear guest,

I want to thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your latest stay at our hotel, I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as pleasant as we would have wanted it to be; however please be sure that your comments are tools of improvement for us.

I am glad to hear that our restaurant staff and our Concierge Adrian gave you an excellent service and I appreciate your suggestion regarding the room service cards and additional concierge desks. Please also accept my apologies for the experience you had with our pool and please allow me to inform you that this has been taking care of.

As you appointed during summer season it can be sometimes too humidity, but I sincerely hope you get the chance to visit our town during winter season which you may found more agreeable; in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact us at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be more than happy to assist you with any additional information or feedback.

Director of Room Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,451)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed in for a few days with some friends. Overall hotel experience I can't fault. The staff were so friendly and courteous. Waiter service on the beach. Beds were comfortable, rooms exceptionally clean. I would highly recommend staying here. The buffet breakfast was amazing. I did not eat any other time at the hotel, but I am sure the food would have been just as good.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 14, 2013

From the moment you arrive until that last look back the service is wonderful. Everywhere on the property the staff is friendly, warm and engaging. You want for nothing. We stayed on the top floor facing the ocean and the views are magnificent. We had adjoining rooms that appeared to have been recently re done. Beds and bedding are so comfortable they make it difficult to get up in the morning. The breakfast buffet is one of the largest I have ever seen. Pass on the orange juice and try the "green juice", its very good and refreshing. The pool restaurant had very good food. Pool and beach areas were very enjoyable and one day all the staff and ocean swimmers were very excited to spot a huge crocodile swimming about a thousand yards out. They occasionally swim out of the area rivers and onto the beaches near the Marriott. Yes crocodiles ! Having hung around Marriotts for over 35 years I was surprised to see the entire exterior and atrium area badly needed a paint job. The grande dame needs some makeup and the water features seem very outdated. In fact the waterfall in the atrium was shut down and the top of the atrium seemed to have a lot of visible black mold and dirt. The pool and pool bar really need to be redone. Casa Magna has a lot of charm but it is not in the league of Groupa Vidante's Grand Luxxe and the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have good views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BeyondFLL

Dear guest,

I am so happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us during your last vacation; it is very important for us to know that our guests are receiving the best service, that our facilities make you feel comfortable and that your overall experience was enjoyable.

I also appreciate your observations regarding the paint job needed which I will share with our Maintenance Manager for him to take care of these details. Regarding the crocodile you saw by the beach, as you correctly mentioned, sometimes due to the rain, these animals are dragged by the river flow onto the beach, our activities and prevention staff do a wonderful job watching over this situation and promptly inform the authorities, in order for them to come and take the crocodile to a safe place.

I really hope to see you here again; if you have additional feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

One of my highlights was releasing baby turtles into the surf. The Marriott has a sanctuary for turtle eggs and lets guests help release them when they hatch. Super cute. The pool is fantastic... great view of Puerto Vallarta and the mountains. The beach is not so nice and we were warned about walking here at night due to crocodiles. Vendors are always approaching you. They even come onto hotel property and ask you to buy things. The gym was great and the spa was lovely. One negative (or maybe positive for some people) is that the hotel is next to the marina and not close to downtown. I came in the low season and the marina is VERY quiet with a lot of closed down restaurants. We ended up taking the bus into town most nights to get dinner. This was a lot of fun - but it was a 25 minute bus ride. The bus is the equivalent of $0.50 and picks up right outside the hotel - super convenient.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view and were able to watch the sunset from our room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Urrca

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing these comments with us, I am pleased to know that you had a nice stay at our property and that you enjoyed our facilities and activities.

I am especially happy to hear that you were able to participate with us in our sea turtle protection program, which is an activity we really love and that represents a unique experience for our guests.

I also appreciate your comments about the vendors at the beach; regarding the warning of the crocodile, fortunately Puerto Vallarta is a place with a great biodiversity where you will find different kinds of fauna and flora, as our hotel is located close to an important estuary called “El Salado” it is possible that after a storm the river flow brings a crocodile, please rest assure that our activities and prevention staff are always alert on this situation in order to notify the authorities about it for them to come and get the crocodile or take the necessary measures.

We hope to see you here again very soon, if in the meantime you need any kind of assistance or wish to share additional feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was one beautiful resort! Landscape is amazing, room views are breath tacking and the staff is absolutely wonderful. The swim up bar is everyones favorite spot. But you can also dine outside at the restaurant near the pool, as well as the many restaurants inside the resort. This location is also close to the Marina, where you can enjoy some of Puerto Vallarta's finest authenitic dining spots and night life.

Room Tip: Te main tower has amazing ocean views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were there end of August - during the slow season. I was there with my wife and two sons. We had a great time at the Marriott. We ate at the Mikado restaurant and enjoyed our experience. The gym is fantastic.

The staff we interacted with were great - Victor, the poolside attendant was friendly and very attentive. Silvestre at the activity desk was amazingly helpful. He gave a great overview of the tortoise nursery and spent extra time with my family to walk through their efforts to save the turtles.

The pool side bartender was very friendly and great with my kids.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to familes looking to travel to Puerto Vallarta.

The only thing I'd recommend improving would be the wifi experience. I had trouble connecting and at times had issues with maintaining connectivity.

Room Tip: Room 4044 has excellent views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such kind comments regarding your stay with us, it is very important for us to know that our guest really enjoy their vacation here. I will be happy to congratulate Victor and Silvestre for the exceptional service they provided to you and your family.

Also I am very glad to know you got the chance to participate in our turtle protection program, which we consider one of the best experiences you can have while in Puerto Vallarta. As you also enjoyed our Gym, on your next visit we recommend you to visit our Ohtli Spa, which we are certain you will also find it gratifying.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the Wi-Fi, I have already brought this matter to the attention of our IT Manager who will be taking all the needed measures to avoid these problems from happening again.

We will be looking forward to seeing you here again; in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be happy to assist you with any additional information you may need.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

So I stayed at this resort during my first visit to Mexico and I was definitely amazed by it, the pool was awesome, the landscapes were beautiful, the staff was amazing and courteous at all times, and the food was delicious. I definitely recommend this resort to anyone who wants to enjoy Puerto Vallarta to the fullest. My only complaints are that internet access in your room is not free, you have to use their public area wi-fi if you want to surf the web which I thought was silly, there wasn't a refrigerator or microwave in my room, and the gym closed at 11 (where in most hotels I've been to the gym was open 24/7).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Eduardo P

Dear guest,

I am really happy to hear that your first stay at Mexico was so pleasant and that you were able to enjoy your vacation. I will be happy to share these comments with our staff; for us it is very important to know that we can make a difference in our guests’ stay.

Thank you as well for your observations regarding the Wi-Fi and the open hours for the Gym, I will be happy to present these to the executive committee.

If you have additional feedback or if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be more than happy to help you.