“Beautiful Property!”

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for a week and loved every single day we were there. The open air concept of the hotel is beautiful and there were waterfalls in the middle of the buildings. It was cool when it rained because it came through in the middle of the buildings and that was awesome to watch. The beach itself does not look like the pictures on the website and we did not go swimming in the ocean at all, but there were beautiful sunsets. The marina across the street is walking distance and has many options for dinner or lunch. We loved Vincent's restaurant and went there a few times and had many conversations with Vincent himself! We utilized the local bus and went downtown to Nuevo Vallarta a few days and loved the shopping and beaches there. Everyday people were building amazing sand castles to look at right along the main walk and there was so much to do! We even took the bus to the local shopping mall on a rainy day and we had a blast looking through the stores and shopping. There is a night club right near the property that we did not go to because that's not really our scene, but it looked like it could be a fun night. The hotel runs a ea turtle rescue program and that was probably one of the high lights of our trips, we thought is was really awesome. Each night around sunset, the staff brings out tubs of baby sea turtles that have hatched that day and they allow the guests to release them int the ocean. Not only is this a wonderful program to help some turtles survive against natural predators, but it was very fun and entertaining. After dinner we either went swimming or back to our room most nights because there wasn't much around and we did not feel safe to go exploring at night. Overall we had a very good experience and the property was beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daniellejoy
There are newer reviews for Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We spent 4 nights here prior to a family destination wedding at another hotel and found this Casa Magna to be far superior to the one in CanCun. Yes, both hotels are gorgeous and the views scenic, what sets this one apart was the staff. In every area from front desk to restaurants, bars and housekeeping the staff made you feel welcome and treated you like their special guests. Yes, we were there at the very start of "low season" and the hotel wasn't crowded but we will definately visit again. If anything negative could be said it would be as mentioned by another review-- the pool needs some TLC with both cleaning and grouting.we didn't see missing tiles however...

2  Thank Karen M
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We came on a company trip and were delighted with what we found. Our hotel was clean, the service very professional, the breakfast buffet simply outstanding!

Honestly, we ate breakfast and needed little else until supper hour. The variety was fantastic, from fresh fruit to Mexican fare to waffles to omelettes to sushi. We had negotiated the buffet in with our room price, a very smart move, we discovered.

Beach frontage was nice to look at and ok to play in as well, a bit choppy but few rocks underfoot.
A great get away.

Room Tip: We were close to the ice machine and we could hear it a bit, but not a real concern. The ac felt gr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BRendajanice
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Had a wonderful visit with friends to the Marriott. Clean rooms and grounds. Helpful and attentive staff. Miguel at the pool bar was kind, fast and efficient. The pool tiles were an issue as we were collecting them and people were cutting feet and bleeding-definitely needs attention quickly. Casitas food was great! The spa was beautiful and amazing!!! I highly recommend a spa appointment. Sara was an excellent masseuse-I wish we would have had time for more treatments. Also, great exchange rate into pesos at hotel. Still trying to figure out why the hotel van cost us $40 to get from airport to hotel and only $18 to return..so I would make sure if you get hotel pickup to ask about price difference- we were a party of 4. Would recommend and visit again...

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have a "view" so be careful before you pay extra up charges. Maybe see yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CristyK75
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Manager at Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us, I’m very happy to hear that you had a great stay and really enjoyed your vacation.

I will be happy to share your comments with the rest of the staff, especially with Miguel and Sara that help you have such a relaxing time here with us.

Also I really appreciate your comments regarding the pool, which I have already brought to the attention of our Engineering Director, who is working on it.

If you have any further feedback or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again by mail at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be more than happy to assist you. I kindly ask you to refer to this comment when contacting me.

Kind regards,

Teresa Paredes
Director of Room Operations

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Last week, we had the wonderful opportunity to spend 6 nights at Marriott's Casa Magna Resort in Puerto Vallarta. We were delighted with the hotel location and amenities, however, the hotel's staff and restaurants are clearly what sets this property apart. The entire staff was very friendly, helpful and committed to serving their guests. General Manager Demetrio Maduro has trained his entire team to make their guests comfortable and happy. We were delighted with the restaurant choices, the quality of the food and again, the service staff. In particular, the breakfast buffet at La Estancia was spectacular--dinner and lunch at La Casita were excellent and the Sushi and Tappan at the Mikado were outstanding. Finally, the Spa facilities are the equal of any top quality Spa in the US. We highly recommend the Casa Magna Resort and can't wait for our return visit!!!

Room Tip: Virtually every room has a wonderful Ocean and/or Pool view and is within easy walking distance to a...
1  Thank Gail P
Reviewed June 7, 2013

As a Marriott member, I've stayed at Marriott hotels all over the world. I was not disappointed with the CasaMagna. If it had been "run down" as one reviewer said, that is not the case now. We had an ocean view room. The room and all areas of the hotel are very clean and beautiful. What makes the hotel a stand out is the staff. Santiago was always available. Luggage was stored and then taken to our cab when we were leaving. There is no doubt in our minds that we will return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We just returned from a week at this hotel. It was our first time in Mexico. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the airport and the fact that is has its own restaurants (4) but is also within close walking range of cheaper eating options (in the marina, a large "Mega"/Commercial grocery store, etc.). When we arrived the hotel was grand and the lobby and pools beautiful. The open lobby with the walk through to the pools and ocean view is beautiful, and the constant cool breeze through the lobby makes it a great place to relax and read a book any time of day.

We stayed in room 4063 which was sold as an "ocean view" room. It does overlook the ocean, but also the gorgeous pool area of the next-door condos. Unfortunately, it was not high enough to see the sunset, but I ultimately chose not to request another room since ours was so peaceful. (Note: Though tempted to leave the sliding glass door open to sleep to the sound of waves, I'm glad I chose not to do so as a giant sunlizard -- atleast 24" long -- hung out there one afternoon, and there are no screens on the doors). The rooms are a tiny bit musty (not necessarily a bad smell, they just smell humid), but that is virtually impossible to eliminate in the tropics!!

The sunset is not to be missed from the gorgeous beach or the hotel's Las Casitas restaurant that overlooks the beach. The food is decent and the price justified for the sunset view it includes. Also, we finally tried the breakfast buffet at La Estancia restaurant on our last morning. It cost $45 (USD) for two but was worth it for the HUGE assortment of food (on the Mexican side, made-to-order chilaquines, quesadillas, and omlets stations), tons of fresh Mexican pastries, fruits and juices galore, an Asian section, and an American section (which we avoided) complete with breads, bagels, cereals, waffles or pancakes to order (not sure which), etc., etc. The only place I've ever seen a buffet that big was on a cruise ship. Don't miss it and just order what the locals order and you will not be dissappointed! Indeed, the fact that the large restaurant was filled with mainly Mexicans confirmed to me the quality of the food!

The hotel is very close to the airport (like 1.5 miles), but it is very quiet and peaceful (i.e., no airport noise to speak of; I also saw several sets of flight crews leaving so this seems to be a favorite of the airlines). The staff is great (and, I never once felt like they expected a tip, though we were happy to tip them), the rooms are spotlessly clean, and it is quiet and peaceful. The city bus comes just outside and is an easy -- and cheap! -- way to get around. I think it would be a great place to bring a family, whether you want to hang out at the hotel for a week or spend time exploring the great city, as well. I was suprised at how deserted the hotel seemed last week, even being the shoulder season, but even when it came alive mid-week with Omnibus celebrating its 65th anniversary there, our room was still exceptionally quiet.

Finally, if the hotel had better wi-fi (spotty, AT BEST, in the lobby) and offered free coffee in the rooms (come on, Marriott, mark up the room rate by $1 a day and offer "free" coffee in the room), this would earn a five star rating from me. If you know you want to spend every single day on the Malecon or in the downtown area, then I'd consider getting something closer to those spots; otherwise, this is a great place to come and RELAX!

Room Tip: Keep sliding glass doors closed (at night, etc.) or you may invite in a lizard or two! :-)
1  Thank devoful

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your experience at our hotel, these comments are very important for us as they are tools that allow us to improve our service.

I am so happy to hear that we were able to contribute a little to make your first visit to Mexico a great one. I will share with the Food and Beverages team your nice comments about the food and service you received at our restaurants. I will also bring to our Systems department attention your observations regarding the Wi-Fi.

If you need further assistance or wish to give us further feedback about your stay, please feel free to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com and I will be glad to assist you.

Kind regards,

Teresa Paredes
Director of Room Operations.