“OUTSTANDING SERVICE”

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our second visit to PV - first time at CasaMagna and would definately stay here again. Facility is clean and service was friendly and attentive. Our package included a daily spa visit and the best massages we have ever had, The pool area was warm and inviting and kept us in the water thru the beautiful sunsets. Walking the beach was fun and the Marina was only a couple of blocks away with shops and restaurants. Location is convenient to both town and the airport.
Wi-fi is best on the butcher block table in the lobby bar.

Room Tip: Fifth floor and higher rooms on the north side had a view of the dolphins in the bay in the morning...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,451)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our family of 5 of stayed at Casa Magna over our Spring Break in mid March, 2013. I would readily return to this hotel if we return to Puerto Vallarta (PV). Consider staying at this hotel if you are looking for nice views of PV in a convenient location with a friendly staff. Consider another hotel if you want to be in the middle of the action in downtown PV, or staying in an all-inclusive or hotel frequented by Spring Breakers.

Location: Casa Magna is near the PV Marina. It is between downtown PV to the south - where you find the action, partiers, the boardwalk (Malecon), and the most restaurants, and south of the newer area, Nuevo Puerto, 10 minutes north of Casa Magna. Our family wanted to avoid the Spring Break crowds and party scene yet be in a central location. Casa Magna is only a 5 minute cab ride from the airport, and only a 10 minute cab ride to downtown PV. Taking the Central or Marina bus (NOT the Tunnel bus) takes 15 to 20 minutes, but only costs about $1.50 and you get to ride with the locals The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the Marina, where you can find several restaurants, and a 15 minute walk or short cab ride if you catch a boat for a whale watching tour (see my positive review on Ocean Friendly Whale Watching). In my opinion, Casa Magna’s pool and beach also offer the best views of Banderas Bay and downtown PV (see pictures).

Pool//Beach: Casa Magna’s pool is heated, very large, has plenty of lounge chairs and a few cabanas for rent, affords great views, has a swim up bar, a hot tub, and is bordered by a large open area to play basketball or ping pong (see pictures). The staff did a great job keeping the pool area and beach clean. To improve the beauty of the pool, I would recommend to the management that they remove the large signs prohibiting climbing on the rock island in the middle of the pool, and post them in a more discreet place. Casa Magna’s beach is clean, and one of the larger in the Marina area. There are vendors on the beach in front of the pool selling sombreros, ponchos, jewelry, and various trinkets. The vendors will approach you on the beach or if you are lying out on the pool near the beach. However, they are friendly and not pushy. A parasailing company offers rides leaving from the beach immediately in front of the pool. The pool and beach have volleyball nets. I do not think you are supposed to bring your own alcohol to the pool. However, if you are discreet and keep the wine/beer in non-glass containers and out of sight, the staff serving food at the pool did not ask us to get rid of our drinks.

Property/Amenities The fitness room is very large, clean, and offers many different exercise options, including several treadmills, elliptical, stationary bikes, a large separate yoga/exercise room, Life
Fitness weight machines, and dumbbells from 5 to 50 pounds. Casa Magna has a very large, open beautiful lobby with high ceilings and views out to the pool and ocean. The hotel faces the ocean in the shape of a reverse “L.” The lower portion of the “L” includes the lobby, restaurants, spa/fitness center, deli and 5 stories of rooms. Those rooms look out over the pool and straight out to the ocean, but you cannot see downtown PV. The longer portion of the “L” is runs perpendicular to the beach, and is 9 stories high. These rooms afford the best views as you can see the pool, ocean and downtown PV. If you are on the north side of that branch of the hotel, you look out over the ocean and the neighboring properties, but you cannot see the ocean or downtown PV. We stayed in room 735 and believe the views were fantastic (see pictures).

Restaurants: Casa Magna has 4 restaurant - a deli shop adjacent to the lobby that offers sandwiches; Champions, a sports bar that also serves food poolside; a Japanese restaurant, Mikado; and La Estancia, a Mexican restaurant which serves the breakfast buffet. We liked the food at each restaurant. As the many prior reviewers have noted, the breakfast buffet is very good. You can get any sort of American style breakfast items, made to order omelets, amazing French toast, good sushi, etc., but can also order many Mexican breakfast items. There are many fruit options and fresh squeezed juice. We felt the buffet was worth the $22 per person (only $15 for our 9 year-old daughter). The bar in the lobby offers 2 for 1 drinks from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. You can also buy a limited choice of red and white wine from the deli, although you’ll pay around $25 a bottle. If you get tired of eating at the hotel restaurants, I would recommend walking to the Marina or enjoying some great and cheap tacos ($2 each) at Beer and Tacos, a 5 minute walk from the hotel. I would also recommend taking a local bus or taxi to a Wal-Mart to buy food and alcohol at much more reasonable prices than found at Casa Magna.

Rooms – our family of 5 had a room with 2 queens (that seemed more like full size beds). For the fifth family member we were given a cot that fit between the last bed and the sliding glass door out to the balcony. When not in use, we stood the cot on end to provide more space. It was a tight squeeze. The bathroom was small for five people, with only one sink. The bathroom was adjacent to the sink, but separated by a frosted glass stall door that did not go to the ground, which provided less privacy. The room was very clean and the staff offered fresh towels each afternoon.

I have two criticisms of Casa Magna – one more significant than the other. Neither would cause me to choose another hotel if we return to PV, but is the reason I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 stars. My first complaint is more significant, but fortunately was only a temporary issue. I had a tough time finding any all-inclusive or hotel that had space in one room for 5 people. One of the main reasons I chose the Casa Magna is because Marriott’s website clearly indicates the room I booked allowed up to 5 persons. To be certain, I called Marriott on two separate occasions to confirm the room I booked had room for my family of 5. I also upgraded my room and paid more to get the pool and Banderas Bay view, which was $10 or $20 more a night than the “Ocean” view, which are on the north side of the inverted L. Ocean views are nice, facing out only to the ocean, or the ocean and the adjacent property to the north. However, I upgraded and paid more for the pool/Banderas Bay view because I felt they were the best views, based on the Trip Advisor pictures. To my surprise, when we arrived at the hotel the curbside concierge told me they had “upgraded” me to an Ocean view room. I explained that the pool/bay view I booked was more expensive, but the front desk staff person insisted the Ocean view was nicer and more expensive. I knew that was not the case, but agreed to go look at the room. I not only confirmed that the view was straight out to the ocean with no view of the pool or downtown PV, but to make matters much worse, the room did not have space for a cot and a 5th person. To the credit of the hotel, the manager eventually agreed to put us in the room I had booked. However, I am bothered that the hotel tried to put our family of 5 in a room that cost less than I booked, had less desirable views, and had room for only 4 guests. I would suggest bringing a written copy of your confirmation as support in the event the hotel tries to “downgrade” your room. I would also call the hotel directly a couple times to confirm your reservation. My second issue with the Casa Magna was the poor Wi-Fi reception. During our stay, the Wi-Fi reception was inconsistent and spotty, at best. Wi-Fi reception was usually available in the lobby most of the time, but we rarely could get Wi-Fi in our room.

If you go to the Malecon, be sure to walk all the way to the southern end, referred to as the “Romantic Zone” or “Old Town” part of PV. In my opinion, this area is more quaint and has more character, with many good restaurants, some of them right on the beach. In my opinion, it is a much better use of your time to explore this zone of PV than the more crowded, commercial area of the Malecon to the north. If you want good Chinese in the Old Town area, we really enjoyed the restaurant, Peking.

Room Tip: If feasible, pay for the pool/ocean view. The higher the floor, the better the view. Ask to see yo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank DJDinKC
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Manager at Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing such a thorough comment with us, for us reviews are a very important tool that allows us to know if the service we are providing is what our guest expect and what aspects we can improve. I am very happy to hear that you and your family experienced a great time during your vacation with us.

I will be happy to share with each department your thoughts about service and facilities as well as your suggestions, also please rest assure that we will bring to the front desk manager attention the misunderstood you had at your arrival and will coordinate further training with the staff to prevent these situations may happen again.

We will be looking forward to having you and your family again as our guests; if you wish further feedback or would like to share any more comments with us, please do not hesitate to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our second visit to Casa Magna. Our family group totaled 25 occupying 10 rooms. The service & cleanliness were excellent. There is no need to leave the property unless you want to explore the town. The spa is full service. The pools, children's area & beach area are all well attended to. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: If you want a treat the one bedroom suites have 2 balconies overlooking the ocean. They are quiet a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Traveller90212

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to start by thanking you for taking the time to share with us your impressions regarding your stay, I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation and we will be looking forward to seeing you all here for your, not only third visit, but many more.

Please feel free to reach me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com in case you may need further feedback or wish to share more comments with me. I kindly ask you to refer to this review when contacting us.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Never again.. Old and musty. NOT NORMAL Marriott by any means. Charge for coffee in rooms, charge for wifi in rooms, pool area very unsanitary. Bogus charges on snacks in room.
We returned after 3 days at the resort where we were the only gringos in the entire place. Seemed to be all local family's and all seemed to have 5 kids.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lucylouHouston

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing with us your comments about your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear that you experienced some issues that did not allow you to have a pleasant stay with us. I have personally shared your comments with each one of the concern areas, which will take all the pertinent actions to avoid these situations from happening again.

I hope to get the opportunity of receiving you once more as or valuable guest and show you the improvements made; please feel free to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com if further feedback is needed or if you wish to share more comments with us, I will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Booked this hotel after first booking The Barceló, which had come down with a sickness bug.
The Marriott Casa Magna was not a disappointment and for a family of 4 was a great place to stay if a little expensive. We paid a little extra for an ocean view room and were not disappointed as we got to watch the sun set every evening from our balcony. The bed configurations are small for families as they are doubles and not queens (but we did know this) however we managed during our 9 day stay.
The hotel lobby and reception area has a very grand feel about it and is a welcome rest from the heat. The grounds are well kept with beautiful gardens and pools to wonder around should you wish to.
We spent a great deal of time at the infinity pool which was very large and refreshing with an island pool bar to order drinks from. The staff serving around the pool area were attentive and very professional, we were looked after by Rafael who we must mention as he was a real credit to the hotel as were all the staff we met there.
We had dinner twice at La Casitas, expensive but well worth the treat as the food was excellent with great service and fabulous sunset views. We did eat at the sports bar once but were not too impressed by the food there so chose to try the marina instead which was 5 minutes walk from the hotel and had a great choice of eateries for both breakfast and dinner.
I tried the spa which is large and well appointed, my therapist had limited English speaking skills so another therapist was on hand for conversation which was really nice.
Don't get put off by the vendors who sell on the beach at Casa Magna, they are persistent but will walk away if you are firm, something we had to learn fast being our first time in Mexico.
The biggest problem we had was the constant pushing of time shares, upon arrival at the airport we were lulled into a conversation with people who led you to believe they were from our hotel, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR DETAILS!!! walk away and ignore them, also if you have not booked transfers and are relying on taxis make sure you know how much a taxi fare is from the airport to your hotel as we got horribly stung on our transfer, ask the hotel for prices and have the exact amount to hand to them at the end as they will not give you change!
The bus ride into the downtown area is by far the cheapest method at 6.50 pesos and is fun.
All in all once we got over the initial induction to the Mexican ways, we had a fabulous time and really look forward to returning again.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the views, also it was worth paying a little extra for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank revilolouise

Dear guest,

Please allow me to thank you for the kind review you have share with us. I’m really happy to hear that you and your family enjoy your first time in Mexico and specially that you enjoyed our service and facilities, mainly the infinity pool.

I will gladly extend your kind words to Rafael and our Spa staff to let them know what a great job they do every day, making our guests feel that we are looking after them.

My self and all the team here will be looking forward to seeing you again in our property as our guest. In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further feedback or wish to share more comments with me, please reach me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be glad to assist you. If possible, please refer to this review when contacting us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel is wonderful , situated right on the beach, the sunsets are incredible. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are modern and clean. The food in the restaurant is excellent. located in the Marina it's just a 10$ cab ride to old town. this propoert is very quiet as well......

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kerfontc
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Manager at Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is great news for us to know you had such a great stay with us. We appreciate your comments about the service you received from our staff and your point of view about our rooms and the food of our restaurants; I will make sure these comments are shared with the concerns departments.

If you need further feedback or assistance, please contact me at mhrs.pvrms.dor@marriotthotels.com or by phone at +52 322 226 0010 I will be more than happy to assist you. Please refer to this review when contacting me.

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by sayin, we made the reservations so last minute on book it.com ,that when we arrived here our reservation hadn't shown up in there system yet. We were under the impression that we booked 3days 2nights all inclusive. Although we didn't have the confirmed email as of yet. Edgar the desk supervisor handled all 4 of us travellers so awesome! He provided drinks from the bar and food while we sorted it all out. It turned out it was our mistake and had only booked the basic room. No all inclusive. Edgar upgraded both couples to a beautiful ocean and poolview room with king bed and shower/tub. Along with 20% off anything we purchased during our stay. You could literally lay on bed and stare out into the ocean. The mini bar was fully stocked with everything from beer to pop, chips to red bull! There was lots of English speaking channels on tv. the bed was superb and the pillows were to "down" for lol... we only ate at the hotel 1 time for dinner and that was at the seafood restaurant. Beautiful view right on the beach and the food was awesome! Not too much money if you are paying, about 15 to 25 a plate US $. The marina is 5 mins away and there are several great places to eat all around this resort. This place has luxury written all over it ! I can go on and on about this place , infinity pool with swim up bar, groomed beach, some rocks but that's PV, activities, service, condition of the resort. I would stay here again without a doubt if I come back! And would recommend you do the same!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank da_browns

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to know you had a great time staying with us. We especially enjoy your comments regarding the excellent job Edgar did helping you solve this situation, please rest sure that we will share your comments with him.

We look forward to seeing you at our property again. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance or feedback, you can reach me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com or by phone at +52 322 226 0010. I kindly ask you to please refer to this review when contacting us.

Kind regards,