3,770 results
All reviews casa magna las casitas champions sports bar victor aguilar mikado restaurant marina area breakfast buffet swim up bar ocean view chief concierge short walk to the marina pool concierge great pool close to the airport bell staff minutes from the airport cab ride
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I traveled to Casa Magna on May 26th thru June 3rd, 2012. My reservation included a $50 US daily credit (roughly about $650 Pesos) which I could apply to anything at the Marriott property (i.e., food, beverages, spa services, etc). I have stayed at many Marriott properties throughout the US and the Caribbean. This Marriott property was no exception! It offered incredibly prices, excellent customer service and a suitable location to relax and forget about the "real world".

Customer Service: the Casa Magna employees were exceptional, especially Hugo from the pool. Each day Hugo greeted us with a warm smile and was always willing to go beyond what his duties entitled him to do. He was a wonderful individual to see each day while sunbathing at the pool which overlooks the ocean. Magnificent! The concierge ladies were very helpful throughout our trip. The only individuals that we continued to receive different information was from the staff at the front desk. As a Marriott Platinum Member -- and especially since the hotel was only filled at 25% of their capacity -- they still wouldn't grant us a late check out until the day before our reservation ended.

Food / Beverages: Food prices are high; however, don't forget that the prices are in Pesos and not in Dollars. Learn how to tip accordingly since it may get a bit confusing when you get a bill that seems high but it is listed in Pesos. We ate at Champions most of the nights since they offered typical American food options. The food there was good -- I would recommend their Skirt Steak! The staff at Champions was incredible -- and truly the biggest reason we continued to go back to them each night. The pool food is very good as well -- you can easily share the food since they offer so much. I'm not a big drinker -- but the drinks I felt were a bit on the weak side. Throughout my entire trip there I only ordered two alcoholic beverages -- and I didn't like either of them.

Property / Rooms: The Casa Magna property is incredibly beautiful. I love their open air layout, and their massive Koi pond is awesome. Kids can get bread or tortillas from La Estancia restaurant to feed the Koi fish. I typically purchased bread from their Deli and fed them to the Koi fish. This was one of my favorite things to do each day -- and best of all, you can spot employees feeding the Koi fish as well. The rooms were spectacular! They were spacious and incredibly clean! We were very impressed with our rooms -- and the housekeeper was fantastic in getting it cleaned for us each day even though we didn't leave our room until early afternoon most days.

Cons: The only con I think off is that you really don't have any place you can walk to from the property. If you want to venture into town you either will take a cab (which was our preferred method of transportation) or you could take the local bus. Locals from the area were very polite and willing to help. Plan to take extra money just to get around the area. The only other thing that was a bit annoying; however, at no fault to the hotel -- were the individuals trying to sell you stuff by the ocean/pool area. Casa Magna has a rope that tries to establish a boundary; however, that didn't stop them from stepping over the rope or going around it to try and sell you something.

Overall, with a lot of reservation from family members since we were traveling to Mexico -- we REALLY enjoyed our trip. We received a fantastic deal through the Marriott and we will most definitely be returning to Casa Magna next year. I had done extensive research on hotel locations through the internet and comparing them to comments on Trip Advisor. As is with life, you have to take risks -- I had read the few negative comments about this hotel (then again, don't all hotels have negative comments of some kind at some point?)....however, the consistent positive comments sold me. Again, take a leap of faith on this property -- I promise that you won't be left disappointed.

Casa Magna -- thanks for such wonderful memories!

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool and had an ocean view -- we never heard noise from the pool; however, each night we could see and hear the pirate ship tour.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denise S
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We love staying at the Puerto Vallarta Casa Magna Resort and Spa by Marriott so much that it has basically become a bi-annual tradition since our kids were very young!

First - and rating this topic first may seem a bit strange in light of all the other amentities - but, personally, the breakfast buffet in the La Estancia restaurant is out of this world! A great number of varieties/selections of food and drink - including (guess what?): CHEDDAR CHEESE! (May not sound earth-shattering but, believe it or not, I cannot seem to find authentic Sharp Cheddar Cheese at any other location!) Seriously, the wide selection of breakfast items (waffles, pancakes, french toast, eggs benedict, etcetera), juices (grapefruit, orange and many others), and fruits will get your day off to the right start!

Second, the pool - not one of those ones that seems to go for miles and miles - is still very large and has a nice tropical island/bar in the middle that has nice vegetation and water flowing over it, including a waterfall on the south part that goes back into the pool - nice to sit on the ledge under the waterfall while looking across the bay at downtown Puerto Vallarta. Also, it's very nice to play hide and seek with the kids around the pool island as well; or order a pina colada to quench your thirst! Volleyball and other pool items are available. (There used to be a nice iguana on the island in the middle of the pool - they should bring him back!)

Third, the service is very good to excellent! Three examples: A news summary pamphlet/newsletter is delivered to your door every morning. Also, on our latest trip, the internet signal was weak on our eight-floor room so they promptly sent someone from Business Services to provide a signal booster in the room (they ended up having to repair the line which they also promptly did). The other example was my requirement to print out my son's soccer registration form, sign it, scan it in, and e-mail it back; I went down to Business Services and they took care of it free of charge! (Faxing would have been an additional cost.)

Fourth, other recreation options: there is a soccer field on the south end of the property - my son got in some great goal-kicking practice with me as the goalie (make sure you have a hat and/or sunscreen!). And my kids and I played a lot of ping pong (table tennis) on the first floor not far from the pool while we were there most recently.

Fifth, there are other restaurants to enjoy on the property as well. We've enjoyed Champion's Sports Bar for some late evening eats and Las Casitas for breakfast or lunch just south of the pool next to the beach with great views of downtown Puerto Vallarta! (Also, Mikado for Sushi or their Deli to get a sandwich or pastries.)

Finally, I've probably missed a number of things but, unless you are looking to "hang 10" on the biggest surf waves in the world, you will most assuredly greatly enjoy your time at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank jr4notaxes
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I will say that I do prefer smaller hotels, so I should have known that this Hotel wasn't really my style. However, I thought it's a Marriott, so the quality should be good. Um, sorry that was not the case exactly. We had booked a deluxe queen room and when we got in we wanted to see if there was an upgrade. Well, we waited for the other room then we get keys and walk in to find they gave us an upgraded King, but we had booked a double AFTER waiting 3 hours for them to get the room ready. UGH. This was terrible. The desk clerk was not apologetic and was not well trained on how to deal with someone that he clearly upset because he was not paying attention. Fine, we took the other room, we move on to other things. The room had tile floors which is not my thing...I know why a hotel does this but it's rather tacky. The bathroom was pretty good and the view was VERY NICE. I was fine until they woke me up 2 nights in a row with the Room Service carts going past at 1a. Service was just OK-the desk needs training, the bell staff is very good, the restaurant staff was very good. The Housekeeping 1 day was horrific and the rooms could be cleaned better. The desk/table is weird and you can pull it out to serve as a table but it's odd shaped. The room size was a little small very corridor like. Very big hotel. Pool is nice, but many things could use an update. I wouldn't stay here again unless it was great big bargain-I wouldn't pay more than $100 a night. Far from the downtown area, we had to cab everywhere as an additional expense of $20 a trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MzCharlie
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night at this beautiful resort after spending time with friends in Nuevo Vallarta.I only wish we had stayed here longer. We reserved an oceanfront room, but after check in, when we arrived at our room, there was someone elses luggage in the room. We spoke to an employee who was in the area, and he immediately called the front desk, then walked with us back to the reception area. We were asked to wait while they sorted matters out. Less than 5 minutes later we were given keys to our new room. We had been given a beautiful ocean front suite, with 3 balconies..and a couple of drink coupons for our inconvenience.
Everyone we came in contact with at the resort was very friendly, making the experience so much more enjoyable. Food and drink prices were definitely higher than restaurants off the resort, but the food was good, and it was worth it to be able to spend the time at the resort, lounging at the pool and enjoying the beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JenA61
Reviewed July 8, 2012

this hotel is great. no complaints there. the rooms were great, not overly sexy like the W or the Ritz, but nonetheless more than acceptable / clean / modern. The restaurant on beach is awesome, the food is absolutely delicious, and much cheaper than you would expect a restaurant at the hotel to be. I've stayed A LOT of marriott resort and I think this one of my favorite restaurants at any of them, we ate there almost every meal. The pool is great, with a swim up bar and a volleyball net. We went during a spring break and the pool was not overly crowded or ear to ear with little children, which was nice. If you are looking to stay close to downtown this place is great, but if you are looking for amazing beaches right at your doorstep this is not the place for you. I would recommend staying further north near nuevo vallarta or salulito. The beaches are MUCH nicer up there. However, if you are staying here you can always rent a car for around $60 and drive up there for a great beach experience, thats what we did.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business