“Great way to spend the day- just wished we had more time”

Vallarta Adventures - Las Caletas Beach Hideaway
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
East Brunswick, New Jersey
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Great way to spend the day- just wished we had more time”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Lots of activities available and included - paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkeling was pretty good, nature walk, animals on site, resident golden retriever to play with, cooking demonstration, or just laying back and enjoying the view/sun or swimming in the calm water. They have a kids adventure centure with a small zip line that looked cool for little ones.

Extras were sea lions ($70 per person but they had a 2 for $70 promotion that I was glad I did), massage ($30 per half hour), power snorkeling and scuba. The sea lion encounter was awesome. They are so interactive and the photographer, Victoria, was really great at capturing the moments. I bought the all pictures on the CD for $60. Photographers are on site in Las Caletas to take pictures throughout the day, they will take extra pictures for you, just ask. This was $50 for all the pics on the CD.

Pics are expensive. If you plan to buy or possibly buy, have USD cash on you. If you use your credit card they charge in pesos using a ridiculous exchange rate of 12.5 to 1. As a result, you'll end up paying 10-15% more when you get your credit card bill.

Food and service were great. The crew and the staff on the island really try hard to accommodate .

Only negative is it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach Las Caletas from PV marina (add another 30 minutes if coming from Nuevo Vallarta). With such a long travel time, you get there a little after 10 am but leave at 3 pm. 5 hours is too short. On a positive note- drinks and breakfast are served on board and the crew puts on a show each way that's pretty entertaining.

2 Thank Shari R

Gilberts, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Totally worth it!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Best experience of our whole trip! Not a thing to say that is negative. The food was awesome, the kids had a great time at the adventure park, and my husband enjoyed the open bar! My 5 year old will not stop talking about zip lining! It was vet safe, well planned and a perfect day for us.

Rancho Cucamonga, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Wanna spend a wonderful day on the beach?”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Snorkeling, kayaking, swimming, tubing, or paddle boarding...it's at no extra charge. The drinks are included, and a sprawling buffet of salads, seafood, chicken/beef/pork, veggies, breads, papas, and great selection of desserts. Fruits galore for the diet conscious. Great coffee too, with a bottle of Kahlua if you want an extra punch.
Been here 4x and you always leave with a twinkle in your eye of the experience. But be careful not to get 'over served' ...

2 Thank SidKim
Boulder, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Nice day trip”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I booked this trip as part of a 3-for-2 deal with Vallarta Adventures and it was pretty good. You'll be traveling with a rather large group (I think up to 150 people?), but Las Caletas is pretty big, so it doesn't feel crowded. We saw lots of dolphins on the way to the cove, and the captain slowed the boat down so we could get a better look, which was nice.

First off, WEAR SUNSCREEN. I guess I didn't reapply often enough, because my shoulders got badly burned. There is shade available; if you burn as easily as I do, take advantage of it. If you forget your sunscreen (or other essentials, like bug spray or a beach towel), they sell them at the pier and at Las Caletas.

The snorkeling was pretty good on the day that I went (I guess it varies). I saw a lot of different fish in half an hour. They could improve this part of the experience by having a book or poster identifying some of the fish common to the area, because I was curious.

I had a half-hour massage, which I don't recommend. It was just OK and the prices were the same as I pay in the U.S. You can get a much better deal in the city or the Marina. Save your money.

Lunch was pretty good. I took the paella cooking lesson, which wasn't so much a lesson as a demonstration, but it was still interesting. The food (including the paella, which had like seven different kinds of seafood in it) was very good. I loved the tequila cheese flan!

The nicest thing about Las Caletas is that it's very self-directed. You can be as involved or as detached as you want to be. I was kind of in the middle. I participated in a few things, then found a beach chair in the shade and read magazines for a while. The open bar was pretty good (weak drinks, though) and the service was mostly attentive. This is a great option if your hotel is not on the beach or doesn't have a good one.

The crew made the ride back to PV very entertaining with a Queen lip-synching show involving ... well, you'll just have to see for yourself. It was pretty hilarious. They did a good job.

This was not my favorite of the three day trips I took with Vallarta Adventures and I don't think I'd do it again, but it was very good.

1 Thank erdehoff
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Super day trip”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

A little late writing this review but here we go.

FANTASTIC!!

That alone could be the review.

My wife and I were on a cruise late last Nov when we arrived in PV.

We had already booked the excursion based on reviews from this site and it was everything that we had hoped for.

Great crew keeping us entertained both too and from.

And the resort, just beautiful.

Snorkelling was real good, so many fish.

I tried out one of those standup paddle boards, pretty sure mine was defective ... LOL .
It looks so easy but I just couldn't get the hang of it, was a blast trying though.

The meal we were served at the resort was very nice also.

This was our best day of our cruise, we will return.

Visited November 2012