“Nice time at the Westin”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #30 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
New York
“Nice time at the Westin”
Reviewed June 12, 2006

Just came back from our stay at the Westin from June 3-June 11. My wife and I are 35 and 32, respectively, and really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Upgraded to the Royal Beach Club, which was only about $20 extra a night - included a room on one of the higher floors (above the tree line, giving a good view of the beach and ocean), continental breakfast daily (which was nice, included juice, coffee, pastries, bread and toast, and a variety of hot options, both American and Mexican), as well as free happy hour from 5-7 PM (open bar, some small appitizers).

Overall, the room was very clean, bed was the typical Westin Heavenly Bed, shower and bathroom were nice and spacious. Some reviewers have complained about the hard, concrete floors in the hotel rooms. We felt this was actually a plus, as carpeted hotel rooms in this climate tend to stay wet and musty. Service was good, including the bellhops, housekeeping, etc. Agree with other prior reviews that tipping people $1-2 goes a long way.

Hotel grounds were spacious - hotel was relatively full, but was always easy to find chairs around the pools or on the beach. The palm trees covering the pools were pretty, but didn't provide too much coverage if you really wanted to sit in the shade (if, on the other hand, you wanted to stay in the sun and get tan, this was good). The four pools were warm and clean, and you could choose from a pool designated for children, one that was the "activities" pool (playing louder music, pool volleball, etc), and 2 other more "adult" pools. The place is family friendly, but I didn't feel like it was too overrun with small children. Ate dinner once at Nikki Beach, which was a nice meal overlooking the ocean. Some other reviews had complained of the loud music at night from the NIkki Beach Club....I only heard the music once on a Friday night, and it was pretty quiet, definitely not loud enough to cause me problems with sleeping. Didn't use the gym or the tennis courts, but they looked well kept. The beach in front of the hotel isn't huge, but is big enough, and served its purpose. Water was a little rough, but could still swim in it. As mentioned by other reviewers, this is the Pacific, and while the beach and ocean are very nice, it's not the clear calm water and powder white sands of the Caribbean. You could go parasailing, rent waverunners, etc. from the Westin beach.

Some reviewers have complained about the cost of food and alcohol at the Westin....it is somewhat more expensive than restaurants in town, but not too bad in price if you consider that this is a resort hotel. Drink prices, for example, were really no different than at a bar here in NYC (or even less....tropical drinks were $7-8, beer $4-5). If you are a big drinker, this will add up (but, if that's the case, an all-inclusive resort may be better for you anyway).

Location was excellent - 5 min from the airport, 5 min walk to the marina (where there are a bunch of shops and restaurants), 15 min cab ride to downtown. Cabs were relatively cheap - only about 60 pesos to get from the hotel to downtown. Would recommend going downtown at least one day to walk around, shop, walk on the Malecon. There are plenty of good restaurants, shops, bars, etc. downtown. Would highly recommend the Canopy tour (did this through Vallarta Adventures), as well as ATV rentals. Went on Rhythms of the Night, which was pretty good, but not as exciting as some other reviews had made it out to be. Also took a boat from the marina to go snorkeling near Los Arcos, as well as to Las Animas beach (accessable only by boat) which was also fun.

The big downside to the Westin (and all of PV, in my opinion) is the ever present time share people. The Club Regina people have a desk in the Westin lobby, and would try to get you to stop and go to a presentation every time you walked though the lobby. Other salesmen were around on the walk to the marina, in the marina, downtown, etc. You can just say no thank you and keep walking, but it was still annoying.

Would definitely recommend the Westin due to its location and amenities. Also checked out the Marriott down the road, which seemed very comparable (beach was a little nicer at the Marriott, but the Westin had better pools, and all the Westin rooms faced the ocean, unlike at the Marriott).

• Stayed June 2006
31 Thank cancuntraveller_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Greek first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2006

My family (husband, myself and two children ages 7 and 2) traveled to PV over Easter week and stayed at the Westin Regina. We try to stay at Westins as often as we can and have certain expectations from the brand. We thought that the Westin in PV did a pretty good job living up to these expectations. The staff was very friendly, service was great overall and the facilities were quite nice. Since we have small chidlren, the pool and beach were the strong points. There were about five different pools, each with its own personality and there were some that catered to small children and others that were more for adults only. My husband and I used the gym once and the equipments were good. They seemed to have some good exercise classes and the tennis courts (which we didn't use) were nice also. I agree that the buffet in the main restaurant is a little spendy but not the worst that I've seen. The food was OK, nothing spectacular but it hit the spot when we didn't want to take the 20 minute cab ride into downtown or go across the street to the Marina. We mostly ate at the Marina restaurants and the few that we went to were, again, OK. The nicest restaurant we went to was in old town PV called "La Pelapa". If you have a chance, I highly recommend it. It is the most beautiful setting I've ever seen. Another great restaurant in old town PV which I think is called "Brazil". It's an all you can eat place with the most amazing meats that come on these long skewers. Not for vegetarians but if you like meat, this is a must visit restaurant. The loud music coming from Nikki's Beach was pretty obnoxious the first few nights, especially with the sort of hours that we kept (early to bed) but it seemed to calm down for the rest of the trip. Although we never ate there, we did walk by a few times. It didn't seem that family friendly but the atmosphere seemed really cool and had I been there with girlfriends or just my husband, I definitely would have been there every night. The sunset from the beach was spectacular and the merchants alongside the beach were nice and not too in your face. The only downside was the bedroom which was a little damp from the humidity. I could tell that there was some moisture damage in the ceiling but in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal. Oh, one more thing, I can't remember what floor we were on but for some reason, we were put on a special floor that had this room with free breakfast every morning and happy hour with complementary snacks and drinks. That was definitely an added benefit.

Stayed April 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 23, 2006

I enjoyed five nights at the Westin Puerto Vallarta. The hotel is comfortable and attractive with a few strange quirks. My room was on the 9th floor and had a nice view over the palms to the ocean. Slippers made the concrete floor a bit easier on the feet and the large bathroom had a nice shower and plenty of thick towels. The room temperature was a bit difficult to get right--and you had to choose very cold or warm and humid. A wet bathingsuit hung up in the shower would still be wet three days later.

The complementary bottled water was a nice touch each day--but the fee for the in-room coffee maker was one I had never seen before. The pools were nice--although getting beach towels was confusing--as some areas would give towels only to time-share owners. The beach was pretty but was filled with small blue jellyfish the week I was there. Breakfast at the hotel was lovely but dinner in the Nikki Beach was only average. The music from that restaurant was loud and went on quite late one night--but being on the high floor helped to keep things quiet overall. The Front Desk, Concierge and Door Staff were excellent and most friendly. I enjoyed the gym and spa. For the price--this was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
14 Thank Clefsdorsf
Charleston, SC
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Stayed with husband and couple other family members. We all enjoyed the resort. Pools are beautiful. Views from OceanView rooms were great! Can see mountains, downtown PV and ocean and boats coming in and out of marina. Close enough to walk to marina. Cabs to downtown PV cheap around $6.00.

Bad: Costs at resort for food and drink high. Buffet Breakfast (which is good) However costs about $20 per person. You can walk out of the resort, take a left towards the marina, about a block down is a restaurant called "Magallens?" You can get breakfast for $5 to$9. To save money on drinks, get a cab to Wal-mart of Sams and stock up on bottled water, liquor and mixers, buy a little cooler and take it to the pool. We did it and saved a ton of money. Drinks at pool run $7 - $10. Snacks poolside (sandwiches, burgers) run $7 - $11. food taste good and service is good.

Nikki Beach Club great. One of the most beautiful places I have ever had a drink! Beds and low lighting with beautiful views! Had dinner there one night and it was great! Our whole party enjoyed. Even if you don't stay at Westin, you should visit this spot.

When I saw some of the negative write ups I was concerned. But we enjoyed ourselves. I have stayed at many hotels and have traveled a lot. I enjoyed this spot and would recommend it.

The beach isn't the greatest, however the pools make up for it. The beach has darker sand and is rough. It is not as bad as the reviews say. The pools are so beautiful, you are happy being at the pool.

Also, get a cab and eat at the Barcalona Tapas restaurant. It's great. Great food and beautiful view. Make reservations.

The los Veranos Canopy tour was tons of fun. I would do it again.

Overall enjoyed stay and would recommend the hotel. However, I am a fan of all-inclusives because drinks are included. I would probably stay at an all-inclusive next time. Simply because it is easier to not have to walk to breakfast.

17 Thank carithers
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We visited the Club Regina May 6-13, we had a very nice stay at this wonderful resort. They said the resort was full the week we were there but it seemed very quiet. We had a one bedroom suite on the 9th floor in unit 962 & 963. We had a California King bed in the bedroom, I like firm beds but this one was almost too firm. And a full size pull out sofa bed in the living room. We also had a small Jacuzzi tub on the patio. Both the living room and bedroom had cable TV with a few English channels. We had two bathrooms which was perfect since there was 4 of us. The kitchen was great with everything we could possibly need. There is a mandatory daily maid service which they will add to your bill of $6 a day. The maids did a great job and we always tipped them another $5 a day. Note: wash your own dishes in the dishwasher or you will be charged an additional $5 for the maid to wash your dishes. There is a full size refrigerator, dishwasher and 2 burner stove. We went to MalMart and stocked up on water and groceries, we ate breakfast/brunch on the balcony almost every day and ate out at dinner time.
There are three main pools, one is more of a kid’s pool, one is the activities pool with load speakers and various activities like bingo, volleyball, salsa lessons and kayak races in the afternoon, there is also a bar/restaurant at this pool. The other pool is more of a quiet pool and it also has a nice swim up bar/restaurant. Beyond the pools is the beach which is small but still nice, there are lounge chairs on the beach if you choose that over the pool. They say you shouldn’t swim in the ocean in front of the hotel because of the undertow but we saw a few people swimming. Nikki’s Beach Club is also on the beach in front of the hotel, it looked nice but we never ventured in, as we heard it was way overpriced. We ate one meal at the main hotel restaurant, it was ok but nothing to rave about and overpriced. The hotel bar near the lobby was nice for a quite night inn. The staff was all very friendly and always willing to help.
The Marina is a short walk about 5 minutes and there are many restaurants to choose from. We ate at Porto Bella, Seafare, Victors Place, Suzie Wongs, and we had sunset drinks at the lighthouse. Downtown we ate at Barcelona Tapa (Highly recommended), Burro Bar on Los Muertos beach has a great Happy Hour, The beach Café next to Blue chairs is a nice environment, sitting on the beach under a Palapa sipping a drink and letting the shopping come to you, this is where we did most of our shopping. A taxi into town cost about $60 pesos ($6US) and the bus cost $45 peso (0.40 cents us). We really enjoyed our stay at the Club Regina and would defiantly go back, we went on an RCI extra vacation. Please let me know if you have any questions. This was my third trip to PV and I can’t wait to go back!

15 Thank Jeepgurl
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed May 10, 2006

The hotel is in Puerto Vallarta and is on the beach so of course it is going to have pretty surroundings; however, there were some pretty major problems at the Westin. The pool was pretty but cloudy water kept blowing out from the pump which was really gross, and they wouldn't allow umbrellas by the pool (even though they were on the beach) which was a problem for the sunburned folks who still wanted to enjoy the weather without getting even more burned! Other friends of mine were staying at the hotel, but every time they tried to call me through the front desk, the employees told them they could not find my name in the reservations so my friends couldn't get in touch with me. But worst of all was the fact that the room was constantly wet. The sheets and pillows were damp, my clothes all became damp, and my books, magazines, and even passport were warped from the moisture. There was water dripping from the air conditioning and the air smelled of mold which I suspect to be the culprit. I tried to open the doors to the balcony but pidgeons flew into my room, and at night the air stunk of smoke from nearby fires in the mountains, so I was stuck with the wet moldy air. Some but not all of my friends said their rooms had similar problems. If I went back to PV I would not stay at the Westin.

2 Thank JenP75
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2006

We stay at the Westin in Puerto Vallarta in early June every June. When I say we I mean me and 13-17 relatives. 3 families own timeshares there. I absolutely love it there. The service is always great and for extra great service ask for the concierge named "Junior". This guy will not only take care of you but will remember you from year to year. The nice thing about the Westin is that you don't get Spring Break like people. Much more laid back. There is one pool that is sort of geared toward the younger crowd but it is far from "rowdy". The pool areas in general are very well kept and very pretty.

I read one review about the Westin being too humid. Um it's MEXICO! :-) June-Aug is going to be especially humid because of the rainy season. I've been in January which is much less humid so I would recommend a different time of year if the humidity gets to you. I feel like the A/C in the Westin works great at cooling down the rooms but humidty is humidity. I found a site that shows charts on weather patterns in PV throughout the year -(---).

The Westin is right across the street from the Marina where there are a host of shops and places to eat. Keep in mind this is Mexico. So as you step on to public beaches or streets you WILL be solicited for timeshares, beeds and just about anything you can imagine. Learn to deal with it and it will make your stay much less stressful!

Enjoy!