“Club Regina @ The Westin”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #29 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Portland, Oregon
“Club Regina @ The Westin”
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We visited the Club Regina May 6-13, we had a very nice stay at this wonderful resort. They said the resort was full the week we were there but it seemed very quiet. We had a one bedroom suite on the 9th floor in unit 962 & 963. We had a California King bed in the bedroom, I like firm beds but this one was almost too firm. And a full size pull out sofa bed in the living room. We also had a small Jacuzzi tub on the patio. Both the living room and bedroom had cable TV with a few English channels. We had two bathrooms which was perfect since there was 4 of us. The kitchen was great with everything we could possibly need. There is a mandatory daily maid service which they will add to your bill of $6 a day. The maids did a great job and we always tipped them another $5 a day. Note: wash your own dishes in the dishwasher or you will be charged an additional $5 for the maid to wash your dishes. There is a full size refrigerator, dishwasher and 2 burner stove. We went to MalMart and stocked up on water and groceries, we ate breakfast/brunch on the balcony almost every day and ate out at dinner time.
There are three main pools, one is more of a kid’s pool, one is the activities pool with load speakers and various activities like bingo, volleyball, salsa lessons and kayak races in the afternoon, there is also a bar/restaurant at this pool. The other pool is more of a quiet pool and it also has a nice swim up bar/restaurant. Beyond the pools is the beach which is small but still nice, there are lounge chairs on the beach if you choose that over the pool. They say you shouldn’t swim in the ocean in front of the hotel because of the undertow but we saw a few people swimming. Nikki’s Beach Club is also on the beach in front of the hotel, it looked nice but we never ventured in, as we heard it was way overpriced. We ate one meal at the main hotel restaurant, it was ok but nothing to rave about and overpriced. The hotel bar near the lobby was nice for a quite night inn. The staff was all very friendly and always willing to help.
The Marina is a short walk about 5 minutes and there are many restaurants to choose from. We ate at Porto Bella, Seafare, Victors Place, Suzie Wongs, and we had sunset drinks at the lighthouse. Downtown we ate at Barcelona Tapa (Highly recommended), Burro Bar on Los Muertos beach has a great Happy Hour, The beach Café next to Blue chairs is a nice environment, sitting on the beach under a Palapa sipping a drink and letting the shopping come to you, this is where we did most of our shopping. A taxi into town cost about $60 pesos ($6US) and the bus cost $45 peso (0.40 cents us). We really enjoyed our stay at the Club Regina and would defiantly go back, we went on an RCI extra vacation. Please let me know if you have any questions. This was my third trip to PV and I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2006
15 Thank Jeepgurl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Greek first
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed May 10, 2006

The hotel is in Puerto Vallarta and is on the beach so of course it is going to have pretty surroundings; however, there were some pretty major problems at the Westin. The pool was pretty but cloudy water kept blowing out from the pump which was really gross, and they wouldn't allow umbrellas by the pool (even though they were on the beach) which was a problem for the sunburned folks who still wanted to enjoy the weather without getting even more burned! Other friends of mine were staying at the hotel, but every time they tried to call me through the front desk, the employees told them they could not find my name in the reservations so my friends couldn't get in touch with me. But worst of all was the fact that the room was constantly wet. The sheets and pillows were damp, my clothes all became damp, and my books, magazines, and even passport were warped from the moisture. There was water dripping from the air conditioning and the air smelled of mold which I suspect to be the culprit. I tried to open the doors to the balcony but pidgeons flew into my room, and at night the air stunk of smoke from nearby fires in the mountains, so I was stuck with the wet moldy air. Some but not all of my friends said their rooms had similar problems. If I went back to PV I would not stay at the Westin.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank JenP75
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2006

We stay at the Westin in Puerto Vallarta in early June every June. When I say we I mean me and 13-17 relatives. 3 families own timeshares there. I absolutely love it there. The service is always great and for extra great service ask for the concierge named "Junior". This guy will not only take care of you but will remember you from year to year. The nice thing about the Westin is that you don't get Spring Break like people. Much more laid back. There is one pool that is sort of geared toward the younger crowd but it is far from "rowdy". The pool areas in general are very well kept and very pretty.

I read one review about the Westin being too humid. Um it's MEXICO! :-) June-Aug is going to be especially humid because of the rainy season. I've been in January which is much less humid so I would recommend a different time of year if the humidity gets to you. I feel like the A/C in the Westin works great at cooling down the rooms but humidty is humidity. I found a site that shows charts on weather patterns in PV throughout the year -(---).

The Westin is right across the street from the Marina where there are a host of shops and places to eat. Keep in mind this is Mexico. So as you step on to public beaches or streets you WILL be solicited for timeshares, beeds and just about anything you can imagine. Learn to deal with it and it will make your stay much less stressful!

Enjoy!
Scott

• Stayed June 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles. CA
Reviewed May 6, 2006

The hotel was beautifully maintained, pools, beaches, restaurants, bars, lobby, etc. were immacualte. Hotel staff was very accomodating and tried to respond to whatever was asked for.
My room was on the 5th floor and the view of the ocean and pools was magnificent. Maid service was very honest and accomodating and the room felt and looked very clean.
I would return to this Westin, had never stayed in one before. Other friends on the trip stayed at the Marriott and they felt that the Westin was better.

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank RitasTorrance
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed May 6, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Westin Vallarta from April 26-May 1st. Overall, the experience was very positive. We enjoyed the grounds, the pool and the service. Without repeating in too much detail the pros and cons shared in other reviews, we were completely satisfied from the standpoint of comfort and having a great pool area that we frequented daily. The beach is small but nice. Nikki Beach was loud only one night (Saturday), but three nights into our trip we were completely relaxed and did not mind. Time share people did not bother us inside the hotel, although they do work the information booth. I elected to ask the concierge for information instead and got everything I needed. We had a 10th floor room that looked over the pool and towards the city. If you have a chance, get a floor higher up or a honeymoon suite. In the morning we could watch from our balcony as the cruise ships came to port and in the evening we were treated to fireworks from the pirate ship.

Yes, the food/drinks were expensive poolside but we managed to mitigate that by limiting it to an appetizer/day and making our own drinks. There is a shopping area off of the Marina where you can pick up provisions. The hotel is split between the actual Westin portion and the Westin Regina (have not heard great things about that place but did not stay there so can't say). There are three pools; one family pool closer to the hotel, one more towards the Regina side, and then the adult pool which has easy access to the beach. We hung out at the latter. My girlfriend who is fair skinned appreciated the shade provided by the palm trees but there is enough sun to be had as well. Outside the hotel, in order to walk to the Marina, we had to endure the daily experience of what we affectionately coined "running the gauntlet" as we walked past the time share people trying to lure us into some sort of "fiesta" or "celebracion". But we laughed it off and it even became an inside sort of joke between us- "are you ready for the celebracion?" My advice is to simply say "no gracias" and walk on. Unfortunately, this timeshare phenomenon is ubiquitous in the tourist areas of Mexico. Otherwise, the people are warm, friendly, and the service, albeit at a much slower pace than our daily rush, is very good. Relax! You're on vacation!

My advice is to try and speak at least a little of the language. Show some interest in the city and culture-Puerto Vallarta is really a wonderful place. Dine at the beach and up in the mountains if your budget allows. La Palapa at "Los Muertos Beach" and "El Palomar" up in the hills are two wonderful restaurants we visited. Drink good tequila, eat local food, explore around town and relax. There is a party scene in PVR, but we didn't get to explore that too much (even though we did drink our fair share of cervezas, tequila, margaritas and pina coladas). Puerto Vallarta is a great place to visit especially for couples.

• Stayed April 2006
16 Thank Robert N
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 4, 2006

My husband and I went to the Westin April 21st for 8 days. I loved the resort and was very impressed with PV. This is by far my favorite place in Mexico. Our room was on the 11th floor and was very nice. We had a great view. Loved the cement floors - so much better than carpet! We never heard any noise from Nikki Beach. We actually ate dinner at Nikki Beach 3 times - great food and it is so romantic. One time we got a bed, ordered a bottle of wine (or two), and watched an incredible sunset. The restaurants in PV are some of the best I have ever been too. We rented a car and drove all over. We went to some awesome beaches. We also went to Wal-Mart down the street and stocked up on some essentials. The Marina area is awesome and much bigger than expected. I can't wait to go back!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed May 4, 2006

We stayed here for a week in March with our daughter and loved it. The room was not the cleanest but that was our fault. We rushed the maid and I did not let them return once inside. The view was excellent and make sure to ask for rooms above the trees. We loved sitting on the balcony once the baby went down. As for the person who said Puerto Vallarta is dirty...welcome to Mexico. The people are warm, cigars are cheap and the tequila can't be beat. We loved Nikki beaches food and had no problem with noise. Ask for Carolos and he will deliver food on the beach for you during the day. We tried to upgrade to a club room but it was sold out. I recommend these rooms with any Weston.
We had a nice relaxing time here and would return. A nice surprise - I am normally a Cabo fan but prices were to high this year.

• Stayed March 2006